Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah you bring it up literally every time someone calls you out on your lovely opinions. gently caress off, nazi.

You have a Star Trek avatar: there is a far, far greater chance of you being a pedophile than of me being a Nazi, Nazi sympathizer, fascist, white supremacist, ethnonationalist, race realist, identitarian, etc.

Grandmother of Five posted:

You're a smart woman, Blue Star, and I enjoy reading your post, but you're also deliberately playing a role that causes people to dismiss you and become adverse to engaging with you genuinely, and that's a shame, I think, because you do write interesting stuff. Now that Jastiger has been permabanned, please continue to use your powers for good, even though derailing the thread away from giving Jastiger attenttion is no longer needed.

Thanks. I enjoy your posts too, you're always pretty even handed and smart.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Chernabog posted:

My PHUO is that musicals are mostly dumbed down versions of their non-musical counterparts.

What does that even mean?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I mean that the vast majority of musicals would be improved by not being musicals.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Chernabog posted:

I mean that the vast majority of musicals would be improved by not being musicals.

Musicals are great, when theyre good.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I kinda like music :thunk:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Blue Star posted:

Musicals are great, when theyre good.

Even the best musicals are only ever good for a couple songs, though. Every "great" musical is still 75% filler garbage.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There are no bad songs in The Book of Mormon.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Unpopular opinion:

The Norse pantheon is better than the Greek pantheon, by virtue of Odin being more interesting and cooler than Zeus, and that the Greek mythos lacks a Loki. But the Greek mythos has cooler monsters. Cyclops, Medusa, the hydra, Scylla, Charybdis, harpies, Cerberus, etc. vs...what? Fenrir? Jormangandr? Okay, a giant wolf and a giant snake are pretty cool but the Norse monsters lack variety. The Greek stuff is batshit nuts.

Ooh, but the Norse stuff has better undead. Draugr is a cooler concept than the boring shades of Hades just moping around in a big cave.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

Nothing of value would be lost if you took the best 3 and cut everything else down to a couple lines of spoken dialogue.

This is true of every other musical as well.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jerry Cotton posted:

And yet there are only two good ones (the second by virtue of featuring a reprise of the first).

Now the South Park movie, that's a great musical.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is Trapped in the Closet a musical or an opera?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Opera.

The difference is whether it's a play with songs, or, if the actual dialogue is them singing what they're doing.

Repo is the latter as well.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

oldpainless posted:

Please don't say "prolly"

more like oldslangless

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Blue Star posted:

This is all true. I agree that speech which advocates violence against a certain group shouldnt be protected. Its just amazing that me simply saying "Free speech is good" has brought out the weirdos in this thread.

no one disagrees with that, but if "free speech" in your mind immediately leads to nazis, lol you are a nazi. you are the one that mentioned nazis.

people are shouting you down because everyone that isn't you hates nazis. it is their right to exercise their freedom of speech by saying "nazis are in fact bad"

if you are scared of being called a nazi ur a nazi

why do people mention nazis? bc you specifically defended nazis.

i often express controversial opinions but do not worry about being called "nazi" bc i do not express nazi opinions

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 21:37 on Nov 28, 2017

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

no one disagrees with that, but if "free speech" in your mind immediately leads to nazis, lol you are a nazi. you are the one that mentioned nazis.

people are shouting you down because everyone that isn't you hates nazis. it is their right to exercise their freedom of speech by saying "nazis are in fact bad"

if you are scared of being called a nazi ur a nazi

This is so stupid it hurts.

I mentioned Nazis because i've seen people try to equate supporting free speech with being pro-hate speech and being pro-Nazi. An unpopular opinion on the left is that free speech is good and should be protected, whereas a popular opinion seems to be that only Nazis like free speech because it lets them organize and spread their rhetoric. I happen to think free speech is good, despite being a leftist myself, and added the Nazi part because i knew someone was going to call me a Nazi. And oh look, thats exactly what happened when I posted in this thread: "gently caress off, Nazi".

And lol nobody is being "shouted down" in an internet forum, you dork. We're all just typing on our computers. Go outside lmao.

I'm not scared of being called a Nazi because i know its bullshit. Your words frankly don't mean anything to me. But its irritating and frankly kind of infuriating to see the Left cede more ground to the alt-right. You're letting them own the concept of free speech. You people are loving weak. Weak and cowardly.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

i often express controversial opinions but do not worry about being called "nazi" bc i do not express nazi opinions

Saying "Free speech is a good thing and should be protected in a free society" is not a Nazi opinion. You just said it is, though...

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
+if you have to specifically mention nazi opinions in your "a-a-actually free speech is GOOD" post ur hosed up

like why of all controversial opinions would you say "nazis deserve to be heard"

who the gently caress is censoring nazis?

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Also, when in the absolute flying gently caress did I defend Nazis? Holy motherfucking poo poo.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

+if you have to specifically mention nazi opinions in your "a-a-actually free speech is GOOD" post ur hosed up

like why of all controversial opinions would you say "nazis deserve to be heard"

who the gently caress is censoring nazis?

When did I say Nazis deserve to be heard?

You are making things the gently caress up and I suspect it's because you know I'm not a Nazi but are trying to troll me.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
you are the one that brought nazis up you flying idiot

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
if u dont wanna be called nazi then dont loving love on nazis

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

you are the one that brought nazis up you flying idiot

Go gently caress yourself.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
if at any point "b-b-but waht about nazi speech" enters your mind then lol

bc again who the gently caress is censoring nazis? who is stopping them from speaking their minds?

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

if at any point "b-b-but waht about nazi speech" enters your mind then lol

bc again who the gently caress is censoring nazis? who is stopping them from speaking their minds?

When did I support Nazi speech, jackass? When did I say Nazis were being censored?

I honestly think you're trolling me and I'm not sure why. As far as i know I've never interacted with you. Maybe i once said something to piss you off a long-rear end time ago and you're acting like a little bitch baby now. I don't know, it seems plausible. :shrug:

Blue Star has a new favorite as of 21:53 on Nov 28, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
free speech isn't a nazi opinion

whining about our local neighborhood nazi's free speech out of nowhere is

bc again there is no movement to specifically censor nazis

some people act nazi, other people go "nazis are bad"

congress does nothing

free speech continues

if a company stops advertising with someone bc that person expressed hate, that is not an impingement of free speech, that is the company's own free speech to say "actually we do not agree"

until some government starts shutting nazis down and stopping them from speaking their minds, then it is you are questionable if you think "free speech is good" and immediately jump to "bbbbut the poor nazis!"

if governments step in to specifically shut down fascist speech,THEN it is valid to go "but what about the nazis"

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 22:02 on Nov 28, 2017

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

free speech isn't a nazi opinion

whining about our local neighborhood nazi's free speech out of nowhere is

bc again there is no movement to censor nazis

some people act nazi, other people go "nazis are bad"

congress does nothing

free speech continues

You said free speech is a Nazi opinion, dude.

"i often express controversial opinions but do not worry about being called "nazi" bc i do not express nazi opinions"

All I said was that I support free speech and that this doesn't make me a Nazi. That's not a controversial opinion. I didn't say Nazis deserve free speech. I didn't say Nazis shouldnt be censored. You made that up about me. But you insinuated that what I DID say was a "nazi opinion", so...yeah.

As for people who act Nazi, the appropriate response is to punch them. Not remove free speech or declare that free speech is actually a Nazi position and anyone who holds it is secretly (or not secretly) a Nazi. But you strike me as someone who is afraid to punch Nazis in real life, so you're trying to overcompensate by harassing a trans woman online.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
you are posting stupidly and being disingenuous

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

you are posting stupidly and being disingenuous

Bull loving poo poo.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

until some government starts shutting nazis down and stopping them from speaking their minds, then it is you are questionable if you think "free speech is good" and immediately jump to "bbbbut the poor nazis!"

if governments step in to specifically shut down fascist speech,THEN it is valid to go "but what about the nazis"

I dont care about the Nazis. You are a loving liar. :)

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Christ, no wonder the Left is losing, if this is the best we can do. Look at the way you people try to put words in my mouth, to claim i've said things I never said or hold positions that I don't actually hold. Why are you like this? Its loving weird as hell.

"Free speech is good and saying this doesn't make me a Nazi"
"ARE YOU SOME KIND OF NAZSI???"

Do you all hear yourselves? Why are you like this? :confused:

"Whoa, I never said that i supported Nazis. I don't."
"GGRRRRRR, THEN DONT STICK UP FOR NAZIS GGRRRRR"

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
The State should censor Nazis, with bullets. On TV.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
"WHY YOU CONCERNED ABOUT NAZSSISIS????1"
"Um, I'm not :confused: "
"RRRAAAARRRRGGGHHHH"

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Aramek posted:

The State should censor Nazis, with bullets. On TV.

A good opinion. Hopefully not too unpopular but may be among people in this thread. I'm willing to bet most of you would never do poo poo against real Nazis in real life. That's why you try to overcompensate on the internet.

I'm fine with free speech and freedom of expression. I'm not afraid that this makes me some kind of Nazi because i know where I stand (against Nazis). But the rest of you would probably kowtow to Nazis in real life. I get that vibe from people like Edgar Allen Ho, tbh. All talk.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Blue Star posted:

A good opinion. Hopefully not too unpopular but may be among people in this thread. I'm willing to bet most of you would never do poo poo against real Nazis in real life. That's why you try to overcompensate on the internet.

I'm fine with free speech and freedom of expression. I'm not afraid that this makes me some kind of Nazi because i know where I stand (against Nazis). But the rest of you would probably kowtow to Nazis in real life. I get that vibe from people like Edgar Allen Ho, tbh. All talk.

I get the same vibe from the anti-nazis tbh. Only willing to take action if they are masked and will only go as far as sucker punching them and fleeing.

Everyone is a slacktivist these days, even the nazis.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Blue Star posted:

I feel you. It is strange to me how often this kind of tough-guy opinion comes from people who are not actually in nazi-vulnerable populations, too. I see the 'treating politics like a tough-guy game' poo poo from generic WASPs on either end of the political spectrum way more than, say, jews or hispanics.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm also pro-gun, though i dont own a gun myself. I bet most of you who are anti-free speech are also anti-gun. As a trans person, i reserve the right to defend myself. And yes, the odds of me being physically hosed with are much higher than a typical cis person. If i had a gun i wouldnt hesitate to give someone's skull a new skylight if they started poo poo with me for being trans. This shouldn't be a controversial opinion and in fact should be pretty understandable, but then again I just got called nazi by people itt for supporting free speech, so I dunno.

I wonder if the people who are anti-free speech and anti-gun are speaking from a position of privilege? Hmmm?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I get the same vibe from the anti-nazis tbh. Only willing to take action if they are masked and will only go as far as sucker punching them and fleeing.

Everyone is a slacktivist these days, even the nazis.

Can't believe people aren't willing to risk their entire livelihood by showing their face

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm a loving jew, my grandparents came to the US from Elsass, Germany, I live in west Texas, go to texas tech, gently caress other dudes, and I'll fight you if you cry about nazis

se habla espaņol

do you want my loving facebook or maybe will you stop talking poo poo and agree that nazis are bad and being against nazis is good

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
We are all children of the same life force except for nazis. Namaste.

Blue Star has a new favorite as of 23:01 on Nov 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

lmao what the gently caress is wrong with you