Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Kolea is clearly absolutely hosed in the next book.

It appears to me that a demon is coming for him and his family, as the healing done on him "opened him up" to the warp. I didn't make the Necron connection, to tell the truth, but that does make a lot of sense.

His daughter (Yoncy, of "are they a boy or a girl/nicely handled cover-up of that mistake, Dan) is now drawing creepy pictures, as well as being oddly ageless - showing as immature and below her years but clearly pretty intelligent. Could be a good arc.

Abnett has even written in the pre-face to the story which reveals this particular bit that terrible things are going to happen to Kolea, and he even apologises to him ("I'm so, so sorry Gol" if I remember correctly), so the poor guy is screwed.

There's also a 30 page short story out on the Black Library. £2.50 seems steep but I had to have it. Story below for anyone that wants to save the money.

It follows Mkoll being hunted around the ship as they're in transit, training exercise.
The hunter is the White Scar from the Salvation's Reach mission, and Mkoll outwits him and has him dead to rights.
The White Scar then reveals that he outsmarted Mkoll, as the other two Marines roll in.
Mkoll THEN reveals that no, he is the master, and that the floor underneath them is packed with explosives. "I'm expendable", he says - one guardsmen would be a great swap for three enemies.
The Space Marines are then frustrated when he reveals they're not explosives and something harmless instead.
It was an odd one but a nice easing back in before the inevitable horror show that Warmaster is going to be.

I must say I am the biggest Gaunt's Ghosts fan on the planet (and even have a Christmas card from Dan Abnett he sent to me a few years back!) and I can't wait for The Warmaster. Might even buy the big fancy stupid-money set. I'd like to go on Mastermind and have the Ghosts books be my subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Gooses and Geeses posted:

Kolea is clearly absolutely hosed in the next book.

It appears to me that a demon is coming for him and his family, as the healing done on him "opened him up" to the warp. I didn't make the Necron connection, to tell the truth, but that does make a lot of sense.

His daughter (Yoncy, of "are they a boy or a girl/nicely handled cover-up of that mistake, Dan) is now drawing creepy pictures, as well as being oddly ageless - showing as immature and below her years but clearly pretty intelligent. Could be a good arc.

Abnett has even written in the pre-face to the story which reveals this particular bit that terrible things are going to happen to Kolea, and he even apologises to him ("I'm so, so sorry Gol" if I remember correctly), so the poor guy is screwed.

There's also a 30 page short story out on the Black Library. £2.50 seems steep but I had to have it. Story below for anyone that wants to save the money.

It follows Mkoll being hunted around the ship as they're in transit, training exercise.
The hunter is the White Scar from the Salvation's Reach mission, and Mkoll outwits him and has him dead to rights.
The White Scar then reveals that he outsmarted Mkoll, as the other two Marines roll in.
Mkoll THEN reveals that no, he is the master, and that the floor underneath them is packed with explosives. "I'm expendable", he says - one guardsmen would be a great swap for three enemies.
The Space Marines are then frustrated when he reveals they're not explosives and something harmless instead.
It was an odd one but a nice easing back in before the inevitable horror show that Warmaster is going to be.

I must say I am the biggest Gaunt's Ghosts fan on the planet (and even have a Christmas card from Dan Abnett he sent to me a few years back!) and I can't wait for The Warmaster. Might even buy the big fancy stupid-money set. I'd like to go on Mastermind and have the Ghosts books be my subject.

Good post but I am actually the biggest Ghosthead (just made that up :pcgaming: )

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Yeah but there's only one of us drinking from a Tanith First and Only mug right now. :colbert:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You doing try again's finest sacra or the promethium piss those flame troopers drink?

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Dumb question - how is Arbites pronounced?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Shroud posted:

Dumb question - how is Arbites pronounced?

Pretty sure it's as it looks Arr-BITES.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Arr bee tez

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Depends on how German you want to sound. It could sound like the German word arbeiter, which means worker; or you could go pseudo Latin and say ar-bit-eys

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Biplane posted:

Arr bee tez
In the audiobooks I've listened to it's been this.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
People on YouTube love to pronounce it (incorrectly) as ar-BEE-tees.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Biplane posted:

Arr bee tez

It's this or something similar to it. High Gothic or whatever is basically just faux Latin so you just use the Latin rules for pronunciation. I'm not 100% sure about the second syllable- I usually pronounced it more like Ar-bit-eez but I'll confess I'm a little fuzzy on the fine details.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arcsquad12 posted:

They took heavy losses during Sabbat Martyr and were merged with a Belladon Recon regiment. The Tanith are dying out but the Verghastite and Belladon contingents do receive fresh reserve units following Only in Death, where 50% of the regiment became casualties at Hinzerhaus.
"Casualties" are not the same thing as "deaths" though, so it's easy enough for Abnett to just say "it took two years to get all the augmetic kidneys installed" and have them keep on trucking.

Also I am literally wrapped up in my camo cloak now because it's warm and fleecy and I got Dan to sign the death notice in my Uplifting Primer one timeeeoh god why am I trying to win this slapfight?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arquinsiel posted:

"Casualties" are not the same thing as "deaths" though, so it's easy enough for Abnett to just say "it took two years to get all the augmetic kidneys installed" and have them keep on trucking.

That's why I said casualties. Otherwise Shoggy would be extremely dead. They were still mauled so badly that they were no longer combat ready for a long rear end time.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's why I said casualties. Otherwise Shoggy would be extremely dead. They were still mauled so badly that they were no longer combat ready for a long rear end time.
Fair point. Shoggy is a pretty great example of a dude who with our tech would be done after his first big injury after all.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'm hoping that Macaroth dies at the end of the next book, only for Gaunt to take up the position he was always meant to.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

wiegieman posted:

I'm hoping that Macaroth dies at the end of the next book, only for Gaunt Ludd to take up the position he was always meant to.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
It is a tremendous tease that there are links to buy kindle versions of Black Library books, but when you click it says “this isn’t available in your country.”

Please let me throw my money at you!

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
For some reason I haven't read Salvation's reach yet but looking on Ebay it's all $60-100 (AUD) and above and all the usual bookshops I get stuff from it's not available.. is this poo poo out of print already somehow?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bang3r posted:

For some reason I haven't read Salvation's reach yet but looking on Ebay it's all $60-100 (AUD) and above and all the usual bookshops I get stuff from it's not available.. is this poo poo out of print already somehow?

GW doesn't keep books in print very long. Check Amazon for some cheap used copies. That's how I got most of my GG books.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
Is anybody else curious about what's going to happen on the Eldar front? Specifically with Yncarne, Yvraine and the last Crone Sword? Also, failing Yvraine's ability to birth Ynnead--I wonder if Eldrad or the other craftworld leaders took into account the possibility of an Incubus Tormentor poisoning their respective Infinity Circuits?

EDIT: This also pairs well with the cryptic quote by Inquisitor Czevak, "Though I have seen within the Black Library and spoken to its most terrible guardian, I can never reveal what happened there; not to any man nor even the Emperor himself for I am so forsworn to powers beyond your knowledge. I can only say that a time of inconceivable horror is about to begin. A time when mankind with all the might of the Imperium cannot endure when the strength of the Eldar fails. Even now, our doom stalks us across the stars."

Moose_Knuck fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Nov 29, 2017

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm picking of a bunch of novels for christmas and want to make sure my list is complete. So far i have:

Master of Mankind
Carrion Throne
Warmaster

Which of the newer books are good that I'm missing?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
my 40K group pronounces it "ARR-BITS" and it's driving me crazy :sigh:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

Also I am literally wrapped up in my camo cloak now because it's warm and fleecy and I got Dan to sign the death notice in my Uplifting Primer one timeeeoh god why am I trying to win this slapfight?

Rawne specifically mentions close to 50% KIA at the end of Only In Death when the Cadogus 50th or whoever show up as relief.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm picking of a bunch of novels for christmas and want to make sure my list is complete. So far i have:

Master of Mankind
Carrion Throne
Warmaster

The Devastation of Baal is great.

Arquinsiel posted:

Amazon still says the 14th :shrug:

Publishers with access to their own distribution platform (i.e. Black Library) with a book they think is going to be hot (i.e. Warmaster) will sometimes delay the Amazon/Kindle release so they can sell as much as possible on their own platform and not have to pay a third party a cut.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

Master of Mankind
Carrion Throne
Warmaster

Watchers of the Throne.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Biplane posted:

Rawne specifically mentions close to 50% KIA at the end of Only In Death when the Cadogus 50th or whoever show up as relief.
It's been a while. May as well get to re-reading again.

Next year at Octocon I am sitting Dan down with the APP-6C charts and making him nail down just WTF a "mob" is.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

It is a tremendous tease that there are links to buy kindle versions of Black Library books, but when you click it says “this isn’t available in your country.”

Please let me throw my money at you!

Try a VPN.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Deptfordx posted:

The Devastation of Baal is great.

I highly recommend reading Dante first since Devastation is very much a sequel. Eventually there is supposed to be a third as well.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

What is the sequence for the updated fluff:

Dark Imperium
Watchers of the throne
Dante (is this the full title?)
Devastation of Baal

Is the stuff in the codecs available anywhere?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

notaspy posted:

What is the sequence for the updated fluff:

Dark Imperium
Watchers of the throne
Dante (is this the full title?)
Devastation of Baal

Is the stuff in the codecs available anywhere?

Dante is set before the new stuff. Devastation of Baal and Watchers of the Throne are sort if simultaneous, sort of not due to warp fuckery. Dark Imperium is set between 20-100 years later, again due to warp fuckery.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Pendent posted:

Dante is set before the new stuff. Devastation of Baal and Watchers of the Throne are sort if simultaneous, sort of not due to warp fuckery. Dark Imperium is set between 20-100 years later, again due to warp fuckery.

Wicked, Ty

I thought that the fight on the moon had primaris marines? Was that all detailed in the leadup codecs?

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Pendent posted:

They are super cheeky about it in dark imperium too, well this one calendar says its M42 buuuuut it might just still be M41.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zasze posted:

They are super cheeky about it in dark imperium too, well this one calendar says its M42 buuuuut it might just still be M41.

I was mostly thinking about The Devastation of Baal, which begins around the time Cadia falls, but ends with Guilliman showing up with the Indomitus Crusade something like 100 years later by the standards of the outside universe. That piece was definitely pretty funny though. I have a distinct memory of calendar related heresy which was one of the best things about an otherwise fairly mediocre book.

notaspy posted:

Wicked, Ty

I thought that the fight on the moon had primaris marines? Was that all detailed in the leadup codecs?

I am like 99% certain it didn't, because that fight was detailed in the Rise of the Primarch campaign (I think?) book and at that point we'd never heard anything about Primaris Marines aside from a single picture we mostly thought was a fake. The name of the book may be wrong but it was definitely in the 3rd Gathering Storm book.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

notaspy posted:

Wicked, Ty

The Battle of Luna just had your standard Astartes from the Imp Fists, Ultramarines, Fallen Dark Angels, and Legion of the Damned fighting against daemons and the Thousand Sons.
Guilliman had yet to dispatch Cawl back to Mars and his stasis crypts to revive and equip the Primaris first generation. I mean, they were around and waiting, but their first deployment is explicitly during the Indomitus Crusade
You may be thinking of how the Custodian Guard and Sisters of Silence burst back into existence during the battle?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arquinsiel posted:

It's been a while. May as well get to re-reading again.

Next year at Octocon I am sitting Dan down with the APP-6C charts and making him nail down just WTF a "mob" is.

A mob consists of 3-5 named characters and an indeterminate amount of cannon fodder

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I've only listened to the watchers of the throne audiobook. It felt like there were bits missing, like it was half of an asoiaf book.

The sisters of battle were awesome (or at least the protagonist was).

I'm wanting to get up to speed with the "new" setting

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arcsquad12 posted:

A mob consists of 3-5 named characters and an indeterminate amount of cannon fodder
The cannon fodder part is the bit I want determining.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Arquinsiel posted:

The cannon fodder part is the bit I want determining.

However many bodies it takes for the scene to appear over the top and depressing.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
Which book is haunted Gol Kolea in? I know its a short story but I cant find it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sabbat Crusade, the anthology collection published last year. Not to be confused with the Sabbat Worlds anthology or the Sabbat Worlds Crusade guidebook which Black Library should have republished instead of simply including it in a special edition version of Sabbat Crusade that they only made 500 copies of.