Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Lol this Phil Quin nitwit in the leadup to the election:

quote:

In the wake of Labour’s coming — and fourth consecutive — defeat, the central role of the MoU [with the Green party] in kneecapping whatever chance Labour had to reemerge as a credible governing party will be obvious to all but the small handful of apparatchiks. These are the people who conceived of the agreement, and whose reputations hinge on pretending, against any and all available evidence, that it was a resounding triumph. Sadly, this is the same clique who will shape the post-election narrative, much as they did in the aftermath of the Cunliffe Calamity when they hired as co-obfuscators Bryan Gould and Margaret Wilson, authors of the toothless and pathetic ”post-mortem”.

Have no doubt that the geniuses within Labour responsible for every misstep of the past ten years remain as powerful today as they ever were. Do not expect any contrition or admission of failure. Whoever is to blame for the failure of Labour’s strategy, look anywhere but in the direction of Labour strategists. They are, let's face it, far better at making excuses than making headway against the Nats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Jaguars! posted:

Edit: ^^ Yeah, it seems to publish a lot of borderline conspiracy theories.

On a completely different note, what is NZ's status regarding net neutrality?

Doesn’t exist here. It is why Spark and Vodafone can offer bundles and extras like don’t pay data charges for Spotify or the old zero.facebook.com which offered no images Facebook browsing which didn’t incur data charges.
The problem is how can a different music streaming app compete against free data for Spotify?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Varkk posted:

Doesn’t exist here. It is why Spark and Vodafone can offer bundles and extras like don’t pay data charges for Spotify or the old zero.facebook.com which offered no images Facebook browsing which didn’t incur data charges.
The problem is how can a different music streaming app compete against free data for Spotify?

They would compete with ease apparently, since - at least for Vodafone - it's free for your app to send free data to your customers if you ask them to include your app in their thingy. There is even a sign up form on the website.

I signed up a week ago, haven't heard anything yet though so maybe the signup form is just there for appearances....

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'm pretty sure Telecom would still be charging everyone $100 a month for dial up if it wasn't for unbundling. Not exactly the same, but it's hard to have ~net neutrality~ when there is only one ISP.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

bike tory posted:

Bunch of journalists think they have a "gotcha" moment with Golriz Ghahraman's past in human rights law because she had worked as defense for people accused of genocide. She had been open about this before but hadn't included it in any of her bios, so a bunch of people are calling for her to resign as claiming that she is a genocide denier. It's ugly
https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/political/344871/green-mp-under-scrutiny-for-role-in-rwandan-genocide-trials

that ex labour staffer guy is a blairite little freak

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

exmarx posted:

that ex labour staffer guy is a blairite little freak

The mind of a centrist Labour party member.

*pre election* "Labour are a disaster and are going to lose again because they're not making GBS threads on the left enough"

*post election* "How do I best gently caress up this Labour led coalition from the sidelines?"

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah and he's obviously decided this "discovery" is his Pentagon Papers moment

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Jaguars! posted:

Edit: ^^ Yeah, it seems to publish a lot of borderline conspiracy theories.

On a completely different note, what is NZ's status regarding net neutrality?

I am not sure of specific legislation but the telecommunication ombudsman is pretty strong and has a bias towards consumers, and a good track record. The biggest problem is a chilling effect on new entrants into the internet, which is out of our hands unfortunately.

Edit: the question is can they throttle some sites in order to speed up the ones who pay ISPs. I am not sure. Free data is not really as big an issue as speed, I think.

exmachina fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 28, 2017

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Jesus the more I read about Phil Quin the more I dislike him. He cut his teeth in the journalism sphere moaning about Helen Clark and other women "taking over Labour" to it's detriment, and despite claiming to love NZ Labour he constantly uses political "left" as a pejorative. What a loving dweeb.

Relatedly I'd love to see a similar level of scrutiny on Chris Bishop's past, particularly the time he spent in Asia lobbying governments to loosen regulations around tobacco...

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

bike tory posted:

Jesus the more I read about Phil Quin the more I dislike him. He cut his teeth in the journalism sphere moaning about Helen Clark and other women "taking over Labour" to it's detriment, and despite claiming to love NZ Labour he constantly uses political "left" as a pejorative. What a loving dweeb.

Relatedly I'd love to see a similar level of scrutiny on Chris Bishop's past, particularly the time he spent in Asia lobbying governments to loosen regulations around tobacco...

He loving created the failed plot to oust Helen Clarke as leader in 1996, he hates Corbyn and thought May would crush him as well.

He thinks he's a loving master of electoral strategy but he's been wrong about everything for 20 years.

e: he thinks Julian Assange is 'the far left', and has been whining about identity politics and neo-marxism this last year

El Pollo Blanco fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 28, 2017

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I almost guarantee he supported the was in Iraq, I just can't find any evidence to that effect

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
he's deleted a bunch of tweets, but looks like he's your run of the mill hitchens-loving islamophobe

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
hey guys did you know a rookie criminal lawyer defended very bad people sometimes and admitted as such in multiple interviews before the election

this is a scandal apparently

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why would an intelligent qualified legal professional defend such scum? When the judge asks the line of lawyers 'who wants to defend the guy that burned a few villages? don't make me pick someone!' they're all meant to shuffle around and stare at their feet and eventually he caves in with an 'awwww you guys' and just sentences him to death cause nobody wants to do it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I, for one, am glad that the NZ public through the media has the chance to hound another of these shifty defense lawyers who enable criminals to escape justice into an emotional breakdown ending with their death. RIP Greg King.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Like the whole point of a justice system is justice and you can't have justice if people are running around trying to stop justice happening to the scum that deserve it.

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating
I’m actually surprised at the amount of comments around I’ve seen that are “this is a non story, everyone deserves a fair trial”.

Of course there is some of the worst poo poo too (“She mislead everyone in her maiden speech. What was she thinking having photos taken with a war criminal and smiling. This is what happens when you allow refugees to enter parliament. I don't like it. There's something that doesn't feel right about it. It's off.”)

Of course for my own sanity I’d never check the stuff comments on this story.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Of course Hosking has picked up on this.

E: And Garner too.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

To be fair, she actually didn't talk about it before the election, but has done without prompting since getting her seat. I also kinda agree that the way her various bios were worded lend themselves to the interpretation that she was in the role of prosecution. But like, that's a non story, your bios are meant to make you sound good and she didn't lie or even mislead.

It's pretty telling that Quin claims that "if my life has purpose" it's exposing those involved in the genocide, but also that he doesn't understand the importance of well regarded and indisputable legal processes in ensuring the prosecutions don't incite further sectarianism. He's such an ignorant tool

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

bike tory posted:

Quin claims that "if my life has purpose"
it doesn't :suicide101:

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
She did talk about it though.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kirsty_johnston/status/935280379476418560

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Sir John Key update:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11948852

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So John Key is a lying sack of poo poo? The devil you say!

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Man, the NZ media machine is pretty terrifying. The instant a brown woman sticks her head above the parapet, they turn into goddam snipers. May god have mercy on Marama Davidson.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Haha I'm so glad he's made this his hill to die on then

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
https://dovjacobs.com/2017/11/28/a-ridiculous-attack-on-peter-robinson/ is a nice read.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Turns out there is a multi billion dollar hole in the government’s finances. Except it isn’t $11 billion like Joyce claimed, it is actually $20 billion and Joyce knew because he put it there.
http://politik.co.nz/en/content/politics/1241/

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

🙃

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Wonder how long that took to type with one hand.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Varkk posted:

Turns out there is a multi billion dollar hole in the government’s finances. Except it isn’t $11 billion like Joyce claimed, it is actually $20 billion and Joyce knew because he put it there.
Just nix the programme using financial veto.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Also, was at the 7 Days taping tonight, and they roasted Dave from Dunners pretty well. I hope they use Corbett's NZ on Air sting in its full.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Varkk posted:

I hope you like landmines! We are going to see more and more salt the Earth messes as Labour goes through the their portfolios. It's going to suck like every time the left gets in as it's has to spend so much energy fighting all these bush fires who then get blamed for said bush fires.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So much for needing immigrants to find skill and jobs when we are increasingly not keeping the one we have trained locally. Thanks National for yet another land mine.

https://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/checkpoint/audio/2018623546/indians-bearing-brunt-of-immigration-crackdown-advisors-say

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

In more anger inducing news...

https://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/checkpoint/audio/2018623544/wendy-s-illegally-refused-staff-public-holiday-entitlements

So Wendy's (and others) have been ripping off their staff by not giving a day in lieu for staff working on public holidays.

At first I thought it was them altering their rosters to avoid having to pay people for public holidays by altering their rosters so they didn't work public holidays and as such didn't get paid for that day, which is scummy enough on its own. But no, these cunts were manipulating rosters and interpreting the law so that if you work on a public holiday you don't get a day in lieu.

What a bunch of petty greedy cunts. Why is the answer always eat the rich.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

ledge posted:

In more anger inducing news...

https://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/checkpoint/audio/2018623544/wendy-s-illegally-refused-staff-public-holiday-entitlements

So Wendy's (and others) have been ripping off their staff by not giving a day in lieu for staff working on public holidays.

At first I thought it was them altering their rosters to avoid having to pay people for public holidays by altering their rosters so they didn't work public holidays and as such didn't get paid for that day, which is scummy enough on its own. But no, these cunts were manipulating rosters and interpreting the law so that if you work on a public holiday you don't get a day in lieu.

What a bunch of petty greedy cunts. Why is the answer always eat the rich.

Is that the whole roster so it's not your normal day of work, then tell you to come in anyway?
If so, Noel Leeming tried the same poo poo on all their warehouse staff for years. I know I fought them too and loving nail when I worked there. Harvey Normans too

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

It's giving you one Monday off two weeks before so that they can say "well you didn't work the last three because we altered that week, so even though the planned roster has you working it's not an ordinary working day for you".

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are they idiots or something? That is stupid illegal. Who would even think that is a good idea?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
It's not illegal until a Judge tells you not to do it anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What gets me is the savings from shafting people making 15/hr for holiday pay and similar are loving miniscule compared to just figuring out ways to improve efficiency or better marketing or any number of actual business practices to improve profitability. It's just so incredibly petty and stupid even when if you ignore the moral aspects, it's like trying to reduce losses by taking away paper cups from the water cooler or something.

Unrelated: does anyone here know anything about linux or better still some sort of resource to teach a neophyte how the gently caress to use linux? I've decided I need a hobby that doesn't involve engines or going outside.

• Locked thread