Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Risky Bisquick posted:

Please also note that we are periodically discarding balances, lower than 0.0001 BTC for miners that are inactive 30 days, and balances lower than 0.001 BTC for miners that are inactive 90 days. All balances from all algorithms are aggregated into a single payment.

Nicehash has wallets too, though ive never heard anyone here use it. Its getting more appealing though because 0.001 is no longer a trivial amount of money and the payout limit to external wallets is baaically 100 dollars now. Nicehashes own wallet allows you to get paid from the miner at much lower limits.

I just dont know if its reputable or trustworthy compared to coinbase

Q8ee posted:

I was buying from the UK, maybe it's more lax in the US. All I know is, it was the legitimate Coinbase website and they pretty much didn't respond whatsoever to my support tickets and I had 300GBP sitting uselessly in my Coinbase wallet, and I'd spend 20GBP on all the transaction fees to exchange it from BTC > GBP. My support ticket was pretty much kindly asking them if they'd revert the transactions, seeing as I was physically unable to withdraw said money without jumping through a tonne of hoops, none of which were made obvious to me until after Coinbase happily took their cut.

Yeah sorry I read that but forgot to say that I did lol. Sounds like a no go for me too if I had to do that bs. I didnt know if 1st panzer was using coinbase outside of the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

1gnoirents posted:

Nicehash has wallets too, though ive never heard anyone here use it. Its getting more appealing though because 0.001 is no longer a trivial amount of money and the payout limit to external wallets is baaically 100 dollars now. Nicehashes own wallet allows you to get paid from the miner at much lower limits.

Has anyone figured out why that is?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Most users get hit with 4% fee on ext payout, nicehash wallet is typically 2% + 0.0003 BTC

On an ext payout of 10 mBTC , 4% is 0.4 mBTC
On an ext payout of 10 mBTC , 2% is 0.5mBTC (0.2 mBTC as 2% fee + 0.3 mBTC)

They want you to think you're getting a deal on a percentage basis and slap you with the 0.3 mBTC withdrawl fee

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Out of curiosity, how does an online currency’s bubble burst? Online retailers are accepting it and I don’t know what could ruin its value beside someone manage to break the encryption?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A country like China decides to make it illegal or they start seizing wallets making the casual speculative buyers uneasy and cash out. It causes the next level of slightly more serious holders to see the drop and try to get ahead of it before they lost more. And so on until only the true believers hold Bitcoin like a few years ago

There are A LOT of standing buy orders that will absorb a lot of the initial panic sells so when it does hit it will hit extra hard

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Nyaa posted:

Out of curiosity, how does an online currency’s bubble burst? Online retailers are accepting it and I don’t know what could ruin its value beside someone manage to break the encryption?

It isn't a currency. And Bitcoin has crashed before, and will crash again.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Peachfart posted:

It isn't a currency. And Bitcoin has crashed before, and will crash again.

Exactly, it’s a DIGITAL currency

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So to clarify: you can use Coinbase to store coins and cash them out with Gyft without having to send Coinbase a bunch of info?

I don’t have any valid photo ID (I’ve never learned to drive cars and my passport expired last month), so just asking for the short term.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Craptacular! posted:

So to clarify: you can use Coinbase to store coins and cash them out with Gyft without having to send Coinbase a bunch of info?

I don’t have any valid photo ID (I’ve never learned to drive cars and my passport expired last month), so just asking for the short term.

Just cashed out $500 easy. Gyft makes it really, really easy. Literally just copy the BTC address they give you, copy the BTC amount and send it. Got my code in like two minutes.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

Yes, in america apparently only (perhaps). All they have is my name and phone number for dual factor login. Im not even sure they needed my name but that can lead to headaches when money is moving around.

Should probably get a state ID though. Not having any ID in the states is highly inconvienent and is a big red flag to a lot of groups. I know this sounds condescending and im sorry for that and im sure you know it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nyaa posted:

I think it'll be one of the three below, but there's a million other ways it could fail too:

1) Major world governments effectively criminalize usage of bitcoin, making it almost impossible to ever convert from bitcoin to local currency through the control that governments are able to exert over banks in their countries and their citizens.

2) Either an intentional DDOS or just unintentional unchecked growth of bitcoin popularity makes the transaction volume so high that transactions get clogged up for days and become incredibly expensive, exposing how bitcoin can't scale. They might be able to continue to hard-fork their way out of this one.

3) Due to the complete lack of regulation that Bitcoin fans defend as a core feature of Bitcoin, somebody with deep pockets or one of the major exchanges starts engaging in wholesale market manipulation. There's a reason that the SEC and all major stock exchanges have rules and regulations. I saw this one happen in Ethereum, a major player ran the order books at an exchange all the way down to 0. He crashed the price right down to $0.10.

4) MtGox happens again. A major exchange, let's say Bitfinex, or GDAX, either is entirely bankrupt and gets asked for more USD than they are able to pay out, or alternatively the owners of the exchange see that they can walk away with a billion each and probably hide, and just decide to steal everyone's money and run.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Risky Bisquick posted:

Most users get hit with 4% fee on ext payout, nicehash wallet is typically 2% + 0.0003 BTC

On an ext payout of 10 mBTC , 4% is 0.4 mBTC
On an ext payout of 10 mBTC , 2% is 0.5mBTC (0.2 mBTC as 2% fee + 0.3 mBTC)

They want you to think you're getting a deal on a percentage basis and slap you with the 0.3 mBTC withdrawl fee

That doesn't explain why they give preference to Nicehash wallets

Not unless their wallets just represent bitcoins belonging to Nicehash, as opposed to an actual wallet with blockchain keys in it

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

QuarkJets posted:

Not unless their wallets just represent bitcoins belonging to Nicehash, as opposed to an actual wallet with blockchain keys in it

Ask yourself why a bank wants to give you free checking. If you can't then stay away from all of this

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

This is an interesting question. As far as i know its a real separate wallet address so all the real world fees should apply? In that case its probably a matter of promoting your own services. With a flat payout fee though, that became immediately unappealing.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

QuarkJets posted:

Fauxtool posted:

Ask yourself why a bank wants to give you free checking. If you can't then stay away from all of this

They use your capital and leverage it 5x, maybe 10x whatever is legal in crypto. Think of a bank run on deposits ruining their capitalization, so perhaps to invest???

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Risky Bisquick posted:

They use your capital and leverage it 5x, maybe 10x whatever is legal in crypto. Think of a bank run on deposits ruining their capitalization, so perhaps to invest???

That's what I think they do with it, it's the easiest way to benefit.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Fauxtool posted:

That's what I think they do with it, it's the easiest way to benefit.

Transaction in progress babe come back in 4 hours if all goes well

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

Does Nicehash invest in things or are you just saying that they only maintain a fractional reserve of bitcoins being used in their wallet service? Because if the latter then lol

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

QuarkJets posted:

Does Nicehash invest in things or are you just saying that they only maintain a fractional reserve of bitcoins being used in their wallet service? Because if the latter then lol

both, and the investment is likely in bitcoin too.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

$10,000 and up up up
:toot:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

1gnoirents posted:

$10,000 and up up up
:toot:

We’re entering uncharted crypto burrito territory here

Is there such a thing as double guac?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the SLI 1080ti crew has been double guac double meat for awhile

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Do people find that risers are actually reliable? I tried them once, I did all the usual stuff (turn PCIe speed down to 1.0x, enable 4G+ addressing, etc), and I was still getting maybe a 48-hour MTBF with 4 or 5 GPUs on a board. Honestly it seems like it makes more sense to go with fewer but faster GPUs and to not use risers.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So what do you guys do for fan curves? Just run the card normally or go all-out or lock it at a certain percentage or what?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Twerk from Home posted:

3) Due to the complete lack of regulation that Bitcoin fans defend as a core feature of Bitcoin, somebody with deep pockets or one of the major exchanges starts engaging in wholesale market manipulation. There's a reason that the SEC and all major stock exchanges have rules and regulations. I saw this one happen in Ethereum, a major player ran the order books at an exchange all the way down to 0. He crashed the price right down to $0.10.

This has always been the normal state of things in bitcoin.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Do people find that risers are actually reliable? I tried them once, I did all the usual stuff (turn PCIe speed down to 1.0x, enable 4G+ addressing, etc), and I was still getting maybe a 48-hour MTBF with 4 or 5 GPUs on a board. Honestly it seems like it makes more sense to go with fewer but faster GPUs and to not use risers.

I actually use 16x-to-16x risers for 4x 1080 Tis for Machine Learning stuff and they work perfectly fine and are a lot more intensive than mining.

By all accounts, the 16x-to-1x stuff works well for mining. I got my risers from a B&M place that sells the lower end cables for miners and they're doing brisk business.

shrike82 fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 29, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.google.com/amp/s/electr...rcharger-power/

How long until Tesla disallows bitcoin mining in their cars?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

PerrineClostermann posted:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electr...rcharger-power/

How long until Tesla disallows bitcoin mining in their cars?

That's such a scumbag thing to do lol, abusing a system that's provided for free and putting it at risk for other users who don't take advantage of it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

At 10k/BTC I'm back in for burritos. 1080Ti and cheap power crew represent.

Lookin forward to cashing out for subway gift cards because apparently you can just buy games and poo poo with those now

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Just an fyi, Quadrigacx does emt without photocopying your passport etc

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Awesome. Though to be honest I need to try this "buy video games with Subway gift cards" thing at least once. It's just such an absurd notion and it completely encapsulates bitcoinery in a single concept. :allears:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Okay after running Nicehash in demo mode for a bit, I don't know why 1070s are/were in demand. $2.53 cents a day is like, woo, every day I get 25% of what a McDonalds employee earns in an hour. And all I have to do is activity that will shorten my $400 GPU's lifespan to 6-24 months. What a deal!

10k/BTC is nice for the people with warehouses still farming bitcoins, but until Ether or one of these altcoins rises you're not actually seeing an appreciable increase in mining. You are, I assume, just holding the results of said mining in a wallet for a while hoping it'll worth a slightly larger gift card in two weeks. Which might not happen because this is bitcoin we're talking about and it goes the wrong way all the time.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Craptacular! posted:

Okay after running Nicehash in demo mode for a bit, I don't know why 1070s are/were in demand. $2.53 cents a day is like, woo, every day I get 25% of what a McDonalds employee earns in an hour. And all I have to do is activity that will shorten my $400 GPU's lifespan to 6-24 months. What a deal!

10k/BTC is nice for the people with warehouses still farming bitcoins, but until Ether or one of these altcoins rises you're not actually seeing an appreciable increase in mining. You are, I assume, just holding the results of said mining in a wallet for a while hoping it'll worth a slightly larger gift card in two weeks. Which might not happen because this is bitcoin we're talking about and it goes the wrong way all the time.

0.0016 BTC/day
16.00 USD/day

:effort:

+5 RX580 next week

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

People in general are bad at personal finance and will happily take out a huge loan to buy a shitload of graphics cards and an AC unit for their uninsulated garage

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Risky Bisquick posted:

0.0016 BTC/day
16.00 USD/day

:effort:

+5 RX580 next week

lol, you actually bought cards for mining Bitcoin.

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
Looks like it burped and lost some money, it was up to over $11.3k and dipped down below $8.5k before sort of bouncing back. I thought for sure the bubble was popping before my eyes.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SpaceBanditos posted:

Looks like it burped and lost some money, it was up to over $11.3k and dipped down below $8.5k before sort of bouncing back. I thought for sure the bubble was popping before my eyes.

I AM THE HARBINGER OF THE BITPOCALYPSE

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
How do people not run arbitrage all the time? The major bitcoin exchanges differ in price by more than 5%, are transaction costs really greater than 5%?

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
I decided to check /r/Bitcoin for the first time ever and everyone was pissed that they couldn't jam through enough buy orders during the dip because "this might be the last time you get to buy Bitcoin for 4 figures!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

SpaceBanditos posted:

I decided to check /r/Bitcoin for the first time ever and everyone was pissed that they couldn't jam through enough buy orders during the dip because "this might be the last time you get to buy Bitcoin for 4 figures!"

Yeah and the hosed up thing is they might be right. There were probably scores of people saying the same thing for 3 figures when it was first breaking $1000.

• Locked thread