Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Lane_Kiffin/status/935566745355550725

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/935595822061903872

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/osgators/status/935618495403970566

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Worth every penny.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Tennessee should just hire Hugh Freeze and get it over with. So he likes hookers? Considering the landscape of awful people that make-up college football it's not so bad.

Alternatively, if they were willing to go with Schiano, implicated in the PSU scandal, just go get Art Briles and say he is born again or whatever.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

well then

quote:

Oregon State: In what appears to be a trial balloon, the concept of hiring Dennis Erickson was floated today for Oregon State. DHR International is running this search. Erickson, 70, last served as a head coach in 2011 at Arizona State and last coached in 2016 as running backs coach at Utah. Erickson served as head coach at Oregon State from 1999 – 2002 winning 31 games in four seasons.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What the hell is the point of search firms? To find an unknown guy that the AD would not have thunk of otherwise? Cause SBNation does that for a lot less than a search firm would.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Doesn't most of that go to Colorado State.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What the hell is the point of search firms? To find an unknown guy that the AD would not have thunk of otherwise? Cause SBNation does that for a lot less than a search firm would.

A search firm is a step between the AD and the coach. So if you try to hire someone like Schiano, you can save your job when that backfires.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Looking at the optimism on the r/ockytop board and some of the guys here about Gundy. Guys it’s been like 2 days, have you learned nothing? We ain’t getting him

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Guys I'm getting all sorts of juiced up at the possibility of us pulling in Moorhead from PSU. Am I crazy, or would that not be the closest thing to a slam dunk we could realistically muster? The only real question mark is his lack of ties to the South and recruiting, so he'd need some help there.

It seems in the past few years the "emerging" teams are more offensively-geared. Moorhead would give us stability and continuity on that side of the ball (and could hit the ground running with the talent we have on campus already). A coach like Pruitt or Venables would be one bad OC hire away from a multi-year slump and we can't afford those at all. Plus, our OC position will likely be a revolving door no matter what if we're having success. That's a lot of dice rolls we'd have to win to maintain any level of success.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Moorhead would have recruiting questions since he’s never been out of the northeast but otherwise it’s a really good hire, yeah

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Secrecy.

- The search firm does all the quiet behind the scenes agent calls and vetting without the endless tracking that fans do of the AD’s plane and car.
- The AD can plausibly say he’s never spoken with Employed Coach (and vice versa).
- If stuff goes sideways and the hire doesn’t happen, it’s easier to just write it off as rumors or pass the blame to the search firm.
- There are only a handful of people in the athletic department who even know what’s happening, to cut down on leaks from random staffers.
And so on.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Guys I'm getting all sorts of juiced up at the possibility of us pulling in Moorhead from PSU. Am I crazy, or would that not be the closest thing to a slam dunk we could realistically muster? The only real question mark is his lack of ties to the South and recruiting, so he'd need some help there.

It seems in the past few years the "emerging" teams are more offensively-geared. Moorhead would give us stability and continuity on that side of the ball (and could hit the ground running with the talent we have on campus already). A coach like Pruitt or Venables would be one bad OC hire away from a multi-year slump and we can't afford those at all. Plus, our OC position will likely be a revolving door no matter what if we're having success. That's a lot of dice rolls we'd have to win to maintain any level of success.

I could see that. Personally I think Venables would be an excellent choice, but I can agree with your assessment that a bad OC hire would sink him. I think Brohm or Morris may be your top shelf choices but maybe not realistic.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

I want to know why the gently caress the UT athletic department is still filing fake flight plans

Didn't they just get in trouble for doing this, and don't you think even the stupidest athletic director in FBS would realize "maybe I should stop doing jokes on an already angry fan base?"

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I think it has been figured out it’s a troll job by someone else and not the university.

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice
Fuuuck please give me Gundy

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

To provide rear end coverage and to reach out to coaches through intermediates so everyone can say they haven't talked to X yet

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Pandanaut posted:

I could see that. Personally I think Venables would be an excellent choice, but I can agree with your assessment that a bad OC hire would sink him. I think Brohm or Morris may be your top shelf choices but maybe not realistic.

Venables hasn’t shown any interest in being a HC and I have a hard time believing this is the job that changes that

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/PaulCalvisi/status/935606268433014784

aaaaaaaaaaah

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I would run through a brick wall for Herm Edwards.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

At first I only saw your av and Herm Edwards and I started screaming internally.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ehud posted:

I would run through a brick wall for Herm Edwards.

I mean yeah but he’s a crappy coach, last coached college in 1989, and hasn’t coached football at all since 2008. What are you doing, ASU?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

MourningView posted:

I mean yeah but he’s a crappy coach, last coached college in 1989, and hasn’t coached football at all since 2008. What are you doing, ASU?

He probably called them up and started with his awesome coaching gibberish and next thing you know he's your coach

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005
Guy hasn't coached in 10 years, had a losing record as a HC in the NFL, is 63 years old, and has no recruiting ties. Can't see how this would be much of an improvement over Graham.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
What the gently caress is ASU doing

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This could go down as the greatest coaching carousel of all time

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Gundy would be an incredible hire for Tennessee and I'd be happy to see him out of the Big XII. This also seems like the year that he would leave. He had a senior laden team with Rudolph, Hill and Washington and still lost to OU. He may be thinking that he has reached the ceiling at OSU and there is nowhere for him to go given that he has amazing facilities, an enormous salary, money for assistants and an added fake national championship.

This was the year for OSU - they will struggle with their draft losses and senior graduations, so he's looking at another 2-3 years to build another senior-laden team that can compete with OU again. If he's leaving, it's happening now.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

MourningView posted:

Venables hasn’t shown any interest in being a HC and I have a hard time believing this is the job that changes that

That’s fair. I don’t think it is likely either I just scanned the list from a tweet on here.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ehud posted:

This could go down as the greatest coaching carousel of all time

The whole Tennessee drama alone would make it qualify for it.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

ADs poaching NFL guys hope to get a Stallings but usually end up with a Sherman.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

iospace posted:

The whole Tennessee drama alone would make it qualify for it.

Yeah it’s been top quality. I can’t wait to see how they will gently caress up more.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

DJExile posted:

well then

Jfc, just get an up and comer

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Good article.

https://twitter.com/josh_levin/status/935631663492751360

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

While we are on the subject of bad NFL coaches getting power five jobs, anyone want a slightly-used Ben McAdoo?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I mean if you really want a washed up NFL coach to recruit the Southwest, Jeff Fisher is standing right there

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Benne posted:

I mean if you really want a washed up NFL coach to recruit the Southwest, Jeff Fisher is standing right there

What if Fisher owns in college? :ohdearsass:

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
What happened to chan Gailey? That was like the opposite of this: lovely college coach gets a NFL gig.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

an adult beverage posted:

What happened to chan Gailey? That was like the opposite of this: lovely college coach gets a NFL gig.

The Chan Gailey Equilibrium can drat near get you permanent NFL employment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
Is there a reason Bill Clark isn't showing up in any of these coaching searches? What he's done at UAB is a miracle.

• Locked thread