Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Harminoff posted:

Ordered mine as well, free shipping makes it a hell of a deal. Says it should be here by Friday as well! Can't wait to try this out, not just for racing but also music/movies/other games. I have some sennheiser 558's and while I enjoy them they are pretty low on the bass, so hopefully this helps.

They really shine with good headphones, you can have the most mental Prodigy tune on at volumes that make you feel like you're at a gig and when you take the headphones off there is no sound - it's pretty :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

tater_salad posted:

Guys I'm having an issue with my thrustmaster wheel hoping someone else has had and fixed a similar issue.

Sometimes force feedback just fails to "initialize". I'll plug it in and it'll go throughout it's normal spinning around. I fire up iracing or Forza and I'm left holding a wheel with Bo feeling.

Generally if I fire up something like American truck Sim and get in the truck I can go back to Forza or iracing and it works again.

When I've lost feeling I've even gone into the thrustmaster cp and it will shake the wheel or provide ffb.. just doesn't do it sometimes in some games.

I've recently added a windows mixed reality VR headset but the issue had happens before that as well.

Any thoughts?

That's windows lovely uwp driver issues. It just happens

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Windows is seriously lovely and I can't understand for the life of me why some goons trip over themselves to rush to its defense. I regularly miss races in iracing because windows just won't make the handshake connection with my wheel. It has the drivers installed and the wheel has worked fine before but on random days you still get the "windows is setting up your new device" bs popup

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All operating systems are lovely though. :shrug:

At least windows has games to play.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

xzzy posted:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zaphod42 posted:

Windows is seriously lovely and I can't understand for the life of me why some goons trip over themselves to rush to its defense. I regularly miss races in iracing because windows just won't make the handshake connection with my wheel. It has the drivers installed and the wheel has worked fine before but on random days you still get the "windows is setting up your new device" bs popup

Because when you're talking about the majority desktop OS a problem that's the OS' fault generally affects ~everyone. The less people it affects the less likely it is to be the OS at fault.

If the rest of us using Fanatec wheels on Windows 10 aren't having the same problem, it probably isn't Windows' fault.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

It's a windows issue...like I said

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are you sure it’s windows based? My wheel never needs to re-initialize

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

If he's complaing about forza and wheels not initializing it's a stupid UMP driver issue. Had it with my Logitech and TM wheels on multiple machines.

Doesn't happen with my accuforce but that doesn't mean anything.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

I'll get that if I stick the plug in a different USB port

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Norns posted:

If he's complaing about forza and wheels not initializing it's a stupid UMP driver issue. Had it with my Logitech and TM wheels on multiple machines.

Doesn't happen with my accuforce but that doesn't mean anything.

Both Forza and now recently iracing

Never had this issue before I started playing Forza a bit ago, I had taken a 6 months to break from IR.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I have an issue like that if I plug in my G29 why my computer is still on. I have to restart with the G29 plugged in or it's about a 50/50 shot whether it'll work or not

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's lovely drivers at work right there.

The fundamental design principal behind usb is you can plug/unplug poo poo whenever you want and it works.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Terrific Accident posted:

I have an issue like that if I plug in my G29 why my computer is still on. I have to restart with the G29 plugged in or it's about a 50/50 shot whether it'll work or not

I had a lot of issues with Logitech including it not seeing my dfgt as a dfgt.. that's why I went thrustmaster but this issue I'm having is lame.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Also all those wheels hate usb3

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah I moved my dfgt from a rear usb to front so that I can easily disconnect it (playing unity games would make my character walk in one direction unless it's unplugged) and now my ffb doesn't work in some games. I have to unplug/replug it a lot to get it working in ets.

I probably just need to reinstall drivers.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I don't have that issue with my T300. I'm running Windows 10 with triples. :shrug:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s weird because I have a dfgt and it never has had any problems......yet....:ohdear:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Larrymer posted:

I don't have that issue with my T300. I'm running Windows 10 with triples. :shrug:

Same.. except I have issues.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

tater_salad posted:

I had a lot of issues with Logitech including it not seeing my dfgt as a dfgt.. that's why I went thrustmaster but this issue I'm having is lame.

hilariously all the time my Windows 10 machine sees my G27 as a DFGT and I have to gently caress around to fix it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Harminoff posted:

Yeah I moved my dfgt from a rear usb to front so that I can easily disconnect it (playing unity games would make my character walk in one direction unless it's unplugged) and now my ffb doesn't work in some games. I have to unplug/replug it a lot to get it working in ets.

I probably just need to reinstall drivers.

I really hate this. Games need to get with the program and realize that people have more than one device. Forza is really annoying about this. I couldn't find a way to make driving with a wheel fun, so I just went with gamepad. My shifter is USB and it's a generic USB controller which technically has an axis because all generic controllers do. So Forza reads this for some reason, despite me never telling it to use the shifter so it starts steering my cars in different directions until I unplug the shifter.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Nerdrock posted:

hilariously all the time my Windows 10 machine sees my G27 as a DFGT and I have to gently caress around to fix it.

My dfgt was seen as a driving force pro unless I hosed around with some batch file occasionally. I got tired of doing it which is why I went to thrustmaster.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hey the buttkicker sale has been extended to 12/4

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I sometimes have to restart my Fanatec GT2 in order to get the FF to work the way I expect, but so far that's only been a problem with F1 2017. The wheel also struggles to connect sometimes when I try to switch it to PC mode, sometimes it's instant other times it takes like 20 seconds.

Speaking of F1 2017, I constantly lock my rear wheels when shifting between 3rd and 4th gear, but it's not clear to me if I'm shifting too late or two early? When should I be shifting in that game anyway? When the second set of lights light up on the display?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

xzzy posted:

Yeah awful but true. I mean obviously you have to use it, but you don't have to like it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

wolrah posted:

Because when you're talking about the majority desktop OS a problem that's the OS' fault generally affects ~everyone. The less people it affects the less likely it is to be the OS at fault.

This is extremely not true, lmao. Do you have any idea how many variables there are in a computer? Not like, variables in RAM, but like, significant experimental variables that change how my machine might operate compared to yours?

The idea that 2 people running the same OS should have all the same experiences is hilariously wrong. Do you not talk to your friends about computers or something?

Especially with modern Windows 10 compared to older Windows releases. I bet you I could check 20 people's Windows 10 machines and they'd each be on a slightly different update version at any given day.

Do you have Windows 10 home or professional? Are you in insiders update? Do you have the latest beta updates or just the reliable release candidates?
Which CPU are you using? Which GPU? Which drivers? Which Mobo? Is the CPU overclocked or not? Does the CPU have hyperthreading? How many cores? Which instruction sets? Is the RAM timing all stock?

Like poo poo dude where do I even loving begin???

Even if we had identical hardware (which we do not) we'd have different software. Even if we had the same software, we'd have different updates. EVEN if we had the same updates, we'd have different configurations.
A modern computer is so insanely complicated the idea that any given problem should happen on most computers or it definitely isn't an OS issue is hilariously wrong.

wolrah posted:

If the rest of us using Fanatec wheels on Windows 10 aren't having the same problem, it probably isn't Windows' fault.

Oh yeah? Well are you using discontinued Fanatec wheels that aren't getting driver updates, that were designed for Windows 7 and haven't been touched since then?

This is just hilariously small-minded thinking.

E: Oh and lots of people in this thread do apparently have similar issues so lol

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 29, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh yeah? Well are you using discontinued Fanatec wheels that aren't getting driver updates, that were designed for Windows 7 and haven't been touched since then?

Sounds like a Fanatec problem to me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GutBomb posted:

Sounds like a Fanatec problem to me.

Yeah that's def fair, (and part of why I'm considering getting a new one) but at the same time MS installing Windows 10 for people who had 7 and didn't ask for 10 is still a big problem too.

And there's plenty of other issues with Windows especially related to gaming that aren't Fanatec's problem. Some of those MacOS / Linux handle better, some they do not. But what really bugs me are the things win7 did better.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zaphod42 posted:

This is extremely not true, lmao. Do you have any idea how many variables there are in a computer? Not like, variables in RAM, but like, significant experimental variables that change how my machine might operate compared to yours?

The idea that 2 people running the same OS should have all the same experiences is hilariously wrong. Do you not talk to your friends about computers or something?
MSP poo poo is my day job, so I probably touch more computers per week than most people do in their lives.

If you have a repeatable problem that's not happening to every remotely similar configuration it's probably not the OS. That's not to say it never can be, but that is saying that if you assume it's the OS without actual good reason to eliminate the other factors you're not being logical.

quote:

Especially with modern Windows 10 compared to older Windows releases. I bet you I could check 20 people's Windows 10 machines and they'd each be on a slightly different update version at any given day.

Do you have Windows 10 home or professional? Are you in insiders update? Do you have the latest beta updates or just the reliable release candidates?
Which CPU are you using? Which GPU? Which drivers? Which Mobo? Is the CPU overclocked or not? Does the CPU have hyperthreading? How many cores? Which instruction sets? Is the RAM timing all stock?

Like poo poo dude where do I even loving begin???

Even if we had identical hardware (which we do not) we'd have different software. Even if we had the same software, we'd have different updates. EVEN if we had the same updates, we'd have different configurations.
A modern computer is so insanely complicated the idea that any given problem should happen on most computers or it definitely isn't an OS issue is hilariously wrong.
Again, while yes all those differences can theoretically matter the odds that your problem is an OS bug specific to your configuration are so slim as to be not worth considering unless you've exhausted the more reasonable options. It would be a lot more likely that any of those hardware and third party software differences were themselves to blame.

It's like the old saying in programming, "it's never a compiler bug". It's not that it's impossible that you've stumbled upon a configuration that triggers a recurring bug in the OS which doesn't affect most users, it's just very unlikely.

When you come out saying "I'm having this obscure problem, it must be a bug in one of the most common pieces of software on my computer" it's in the same league as the guy blaming "the firewall" because he can't reach a single random web page.

quote:

This is just hilariously small-minded thinking.

Unless you're claiming there's a bug in Windows 10 that only affects older Fanatec drivers this really shouldn't matter, but for the record I have the Forza CSR which was abandoned at 261 just like many of the 911 wheels (it's internally pretty much the same as the later ones).

wolrah fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 29, 2017

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Nice slapfight you got going on, when are the laptimes gonna get posted.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

1v1, Nurburgring, boss 429. Touching Armco is a disqualify.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Assetto corsa dont count

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
AC has the best track day servers

have they added any new cars since the celica?

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Thief posted:

have they added any new cars since the celica?

Yes.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Zaphod42 posted:

Do you not talk to your friends about computers or something?

Lol no

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

why'd it have to be ferrari :negative:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Ferrari owns

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

that's the problem lmao. its like how in really detailed flight sims some vehicles are so good it becomes boring and feels like a space ship since your cyber pilot can take absurd amounts of cyber G's

they should do a DLC pack for Volvo or something

Thief fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 29, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That said, every single racing game ever has to have the F40 and 288 gto. If you can't get those, just delete your code base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
They should do a Trabant DLC or a Delorean one that formats your PC when installed