Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Any Cyber Monday wireless charger deals that aren’t the blue Samsung plastic shits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dewgy posted:

Permissions problems most likely. Try from a new admin user or quit iTunes and rename the ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ folder to force iTunes to re-create it, then quit iTunes again and paste the backup in the new folder it auto-generates.

Didn't work :(

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

DFU the poo poo out of the phone. Not recovery, DFU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Anyone using a Qi charging case on their iPhone 7 that they’d recommend?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
ikea

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Should iBooks be able to track audiobook position between devices? I've recently picked up an audiobook that I'm getting through at a good pace, but it's frustrating that if I wanna switch from iPhone to iPad and back, I need to remember which chapter number I got up to since it doesn't automatically jump to position. Especially annoying if I had to stop halfway through a chapter and gotta remember the timestamp.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Anyone else interact with an iDevice in addition to their X on a regular basis? I keep trying to swipe up for the home screen on the SE I use for my work phone :negative:

I tried to Tap to Wake my iPad this weekend and IT DIDN'T WORK. WTF Apple?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Question Mark Mound posted:

Should iBooks be able to track audiobook position between devices? I've recently picked up an audiobook that I'm getting through at a good pace, but it's frustrating that if I wanna switch from iPhone to iPad and back, I need to remember which chapter number I got up to since it doesn't automatically jump to position. Especially annoying if I had to stop halfway through a chapter and gotta remember the timestamp.

I don't think iBooks used any sort of iCloud syncing

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zero One posted:

I tried to Tap to Wake my iPad this weekend and IT DIDN'T WORK. WTF Apple?

It seems weird to me that this is a feature that couldn't be back ported. I mean all apple stuff has had accelerometers in them for years, like tap to snooze on my alarm clock app works loving awesome.

Is the X's accelerometer more sensitive or power efficient or something?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I don't think it's the accelerometer that does it. It might be a feature of this OLED display to keep the digitizer in a low power state.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I don't think iBooks used any sort of iCloud syncing

It does, it just works like absolute poo poo and I've never been able to figure out how to get it to reliably save my place between devices. It used to be reasonably decent at syncing bookmarks, but then even that broke. What sucks even more is that if you're reading on an iPhone and an iPad, it tabulates page numbers differently so it's not like you can use Evernote or something to save what page you were on and have it work between devices. The best "solution" I've come up with is copying/pasting a whole sentence then searching for that when I want to hop between devices.

I've never bothered with audiobooks, but I assume it's just as lovely.

It Just Works!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Is there an iPhone X gesture for jumping to the first page of apps when you're several pages away in Springboard like pressing the home button does on phones with a home button?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

fordan posted:

Is there an iPhone X gesture for jumping to the first page of apps when you're several pages away in Springboard like pressing the home button does on phones with a home button?

Swipe up, same gesture as home button replacement

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Ultimate Mango posted:

Swipe up, same gesture as home button replacement

Well that was obvious.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Well, iOS 11 made me flee their awful Podcast app and now iBooks has done the same. I thought the problem was my iPhone 6 being to weak to handle it, but I just bought an 8 and it does the same damned thing. If iBooks is playing an audiobook, and you pause for more than say, 30 seconds, the damned OS unloads the app. Of course, it reloads much faster now with the 8, but gently caress Apple, you’ve just lost another iBooks customer forever.

So, anyone wanna rave about their favorite audiobook ecosystem/app?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

xzzy posted:

It seems weird to me that this is a feature that couldn't be back ported. I mean all apple stuff has had accelerometers in them for years, like tap to snooze on my alarm clock app works loving awesome.

Is the X's accelerometer more sensitive or power efficient or something?

It can be, they won't though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lordshmee posted:

So, anyone wanna rave about their favorite audiobook ecosystem/app?

Audible I guess? I wouldn't rave about it but it's pretty straightforward. The audio quality for a lot of the stuff I've gotten through it has been pretty bad though.

Chaotic Good
Nov 2, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Biodome posted:

They’re considered cosmetic damage, so no. Maybe if you can convince them it’s a single hairline crack.

Wait what? AC+ has 2 accidental damage uses. Doesn't matter if it's a crack or a scratch.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apple stopped giving a poo poo about iBooks when they lost the price-fixing lawsuit. So instead of paying $10 through Apple, you can now pay more from Amazon thanks to unimpeded capitalism!

Unfortunately, this means they've also stopped giving a poo poo about the apps and making the service work well, so Amazon/Audible is pretty much the best alternative. (Google Books might also be an option, but I honestly have zero knowledge of the service.)

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Chaotic Good posted:

Wait what? AC+ has 2 accidental damage uses. Doesn't matter if it's a crack or a scratch.

I assumed he was asking if it was covered for free. He should be able to use one of his accidental damage claims to it.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Endless Mike posted:

Apple stopped giving a poo poo about iBooks when they lost the price-fixing lawsuit. So instead of paying $10 through Apple, you can now pay more from Amazon thanks to unimpeded capitalism!

Unfortunately, this means they've also stopped giving a poo poo about the apps and making the service work well, so Amazon/Audible is pretty much the best alternative. (Google Books might also be an option, but I honestly have zero knowledge of the service.)

Jokes on anyone who bought into the iBooks ecosystem in a big way, like me. :sigh:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I use iBooks for my audio books because audible fucks up chapter numbers for me for some reason. :shrug:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Audible I guess? I wouldn't rave about it but it's pretty straightforward. The audio quality for a lot of the stuff I've gotten through it has been pretty bad though.

I’m literally shocked that people are using electronic audiobooks that aren’t from Audible. I’ve not heard bad audio quality though; have you checked the audio format you’re using? The app has standard and high and if you download to iTunes there’s more choices.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fordan posted:

I’m literally shocked that people are using electronic audiobooks that aren’t from Audible. I’ve not heard bad audio quality though; have you checked the audio format you’re using? The app has standard and high and if you download to iTunes there’s more choices.

I'll have a look, thanks. I'm pretty new to the whole audiobook thing but the new job I have involves a lot of watching stuff without sound so I generally just throw music/podcasts/audiobooks on in the background.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Endless Mike posted:

But Amazon was the one charging $10 until Apple started fixing prices at $15+ (hence losing the price fixing lawsuit) :psyduck:

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Chaotic Good posted:

wait can you get your phone replaced for a scratch? how much would this cost?

Chaotic Good
Nov 2, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
If you have AC+ it is $29 for a screen repair, does not replace the rest of the phone.

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/screen-damage

AC+ on its own is $200 for the iPhone X. Are you all buying that? I haven't decided yet :-/ I think at that price AT&T's insurance might be significantly cheaper.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

If you have AppleCare Plus and not just standard, it’s $100 to get a new phone.

Chaotic Good
Nov 2, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

LODGE NORTH posted:

If you have AppleCare Plus and not just standard, it’s $100 to get a new phone.

Yeah that looks to be true. https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service/pricing

Does your phone have to be completely screwed up to be eligible? Probably yes. God a lot of people must purposefully smash their phone near the end of the warranty period, and protecting against fraud is literally impossible in that situation.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

went through my 6 and deleted a bunch of lovely apps that i never use and janitored my background app refresh settings - i swear the battery lasts measurably longer and feels palpably smoother for no actual decrease in functionality (a lot of this poo poo is up for debate but i would contend there is no loving reason for most games to run in the background, for instance). a good shout if like me you turned off background refresh for the facebook and youtube apps when you got the phone and promptly forgot that preference pane existed

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
My wife is getting the X for Christmas and I wanted to get her a wireless charger. What's the goon recommended product? Also, do they make an all in one that charges the Apple Watch and phone wirelessly at the same time?

I checked the OP (outdated) and went back a few pages but didn't see anything so any help would be appreciated.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just buy whatever Qi charger fits your budget and aesthetic preference on Amazon. The Samsung ones are nice, but expensive. I've got a couple Pleson ones which seem fine. They're pretty low-tech device, so there's not really a whole lot that can go wrong.

There's nothing* that will also charge an Apple Watch as Apple has DRMed their charging. Which is a bummer. I'd certainly like such a thing.

*Currently. The Apple AirPower mat will do it, but it's not out until next year and is rumored to be very expensive.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

wandler20 posted:

My wife is getting the X for Christmas and I wanted to get her a wireless charger. What's the goon recommended product? Also, do they make an all in one that charges the Apple Watch and phone wirelessly at the same time?

I checked the OP (outdated) and went back a few pages but didn't see anything so any help would be appreciated.

I picked up the cheap Ikea wireless charger and it works great and looks pretty decent.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80289790/

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:

wandler20 posted:

Anker generally makes good power products.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Thanks for the info everyone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I would have gone for Anker if they made a standing one, but all of theirs are flat.

Incidentally, searching Amazon for "Anker Qi charger" brought up "LEE75S Cloud Lightning Sexy Women Cotton Thong" which is neither a Qi charger nor actually a thong (nor particularly sexy beyond being women's underwear).

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerPort-Wireless-Charger-iPhone/dp/B0753Z4PGC

I guess they sold out. I've got one, can't really tell much/any difference from the other cheapo Qi charger stand thing I have.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

nervana posted:

wait can you get your phone replaced for a scratch? how much would this cost?

Technically no. If it’s cosmetic, and a few other details I forget (something like it doesn’t impede use of the phone) then you can’t use an instance / get it fixed for free under the 1 year warranty.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I have an iPhone 6s Plus 32gig in silver on AT&T and I'm going to sell it, but I'm not sure what to ask for it since it has a slight bend in it starting from the lock button on the right and going up to the top, like maybe 1 or 2 degrees, only noticeable from the side. The screen is fine and everything works great.

Any opinions? Or offers for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
My mother in law somehow managed to send a text to my work email instead of to my phone. Now that seems to be the default behavior for her phone, even after I deleted the conversation and removed that particular email address from my contact record. (Note: the prior conversation that correctly sends to my phone is still around.) Is there something else I should be doing, or is this just an inescapable user error?