Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Fritzler posted:

My Exeggutor survived (barely) and OHKO him on return with draco meteor. My houndoom one shot togedmaru (I think with his Z-move) who I know a lot of people had trouble with, but I had a lot of problems with Lurantis. I didn't have air slash on my vikavolt yet (dunno if I even had vikavolt), but lurantis had a fighting move and outsped my houndoom which just wrecked him. I re-played that one several times and think I just got lucky from the AI making bad decisions.

yeah, my Braixen just kind of made Togedemaru disappear with Z-Flamethrower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Paul.Power posted:

Operation Donald Dunn is underway:

Phase 1: Acquire male Smeargle with First Impression in Sun: Check (this took a lot longer than I was expecting. First Impression does not play well with the Smeargle SOS Game...)
Phase 2: Get a Farfetch'd from Y into my main breeding game in Moon: Check
Phase 3: Do breedy stuff in Moon: In progress (currently going with Adamant because I had it easily available, would Jolly be better? Also I wonder if there are any other good egg moves)
Phase 4: Wait for Christmas and Ultra Moon, import the First Impression Smeargle and Farfetch'd.
Phase 5: Get to Nursery and breed
Phase 6: Acquire Stick from Aether Foundation
Phase 7: Take this absurd badass duck bearing green onions to the Ultra Moon E4.

This may be a bit too much effort for a story mon, but Farfetch'd needs all the help it can get :v:.

(The only flaw in this plan is that Donald "Duck" Dunn joined the Memphis Group after they recorded Green Onions with Booker T :v: . I'm sure he must've performed it live dozens of times though)

I looked up First Impression because I wasn't fully sure what the deal was beyond seeing Golisopod use it. Farfetch'd is literally the only other pokemon that can get it beyond stuff like smergle. How weird. Like why only farfetch'd?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Paul.Power posted:

Operation Donald Dunn is underway:

Phase 1: Acquire male Smeargle with First Impression in Sun: Check (this took a lot longer than I was expecting. First Impression does not play well with the Smeargle SOS Game...)
Phase 2: Get a Farfetch'd from Y into my main breeding game in Moon: Check
Phase 3: Do breedy stuff in Moon: In progress (currently going with Adamant because I had it easily available, would Jolly be better? Also I wonder if there are any other good egg moves)
Phase 4: Wait for Christmas and Ultra Moon, import the First Impression Smeargle and Farfetch'd.
Phase 5: Get to Nursery and breed
Phase 6: Acquire Stick from Aether Foundation
Phase 7: Take this absurd badass duck bearing green onions to the Ultra Moon E4.

This may be a bit too much effort for a story mon, but Farfetch'd needs all the help it can get :v:.

(The only flaw in this plan is that Donald "Duck" Dunn joined the Memphis Group after Booker T recorded Green Onions with them :v: . I'm sure he must've performed it live dozens of times though)

Couldn't you pass the stick from Moon to Ultra Moon, making your Farfetch'd useful in-game, rather than in post-game? I think Farfetch'd is in excellent condition btw, with acces to 50% crit moves spread over at least 3 different types. It does mean it's a gamble sometimes to pass through the defences, but it's better than it's ever been.

Kikas fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 28, 2017

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Looks like you can now get fossils at the Isle Aphun.

This was in Ultra Moon, and the claw fossils are otherwise exclusive to Ultra Sun.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Kikas posted:

Couldn't you pass the stick from Moon to Ultra Moon, making your Farfetch'd useful in-game, rather than in post-game? I think Farfetch'd is in excellent condition btw, with acces to 50% crit moves spread over at least 3 different types. It does mean it's a gamble sometimes to pass through the defences, but it's better than it's ever been.
Can't you get the stick the first time you go to Aether, i.e. at the end of Island 2? I seem to remember being able to do that. Could be wrong though.

Although yeah, I could also trade the stick up if I can't do that. Or even so I can guaranteed-crit First Impression that Totem Lurantis... (Stick + Refresh crit bonus)

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 28, 2017

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Paul.Power posted:

Can't you get the stick the first time you go to Aether, i.e. at the end of Island 2?

Yes, you can. You can take the elevator to the different floors even when the story is going.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hey guys! I used to be a big pokemon fan but, well... The last game I actually finished was Platinum - I've really only dabbled a bit since then. I really wanna replay stuff but there's so many goddamn titles I barely know where to start!

But lately I've needed a good time-wasting portable game to play that's fun over long periods of time and Pokemon seemed ideal! I started playing Pokemon when I got a copy of Pokemon Red for Christmas in 1998 - my Mom had been to Japan on Business earlier that summer - which was like right in the middle of the initial HUGE Pokemon success wave over there, and I think she was pretty overwhelmed/amused by it. At the time I was like 12 and I vaguely recall playing the first two games as a little boy and REALLY enjoying them. I don't think I ever beat Gold/Silver though - in fact, I don't think I even got past Johto before my gameboy and games got stolen back then. I didn't wanna start again.

I skipped most of the GBA - was busy being miserable and in High School at the time. I briefly got back into it and played and beat Platinum, which was fun. I don't feel a need to replay *that* one,.

So anyway, right now I'm a few hours of into Pokemon Yellow and enjoying the whole classic/retro feel, and given how annoying it'd be to get the hardware to actually play LeafGreen, plus I wouldn't be able to transfer pokemon to other games without going some sort of insane byzantine system of links. So anyway it seemed practical to start by replaying Yellow, especially since I have technically not played this version before ever and it's quite fun having Pikachu tailing behind you and such.

So here's where I am a bit lost... I know Gold/Silver is generally considered by most to be at or near the top of the traditional Pokemon games, and since I'll probably be sinking like 60+ hours into it or something, I *would* like a good experience. Because I collect stuff, I still have a brand new barely-opened copy of SoulSilver (with working PokeWalker and everything, hah) that I luckily found when I was visiting some friends several years ago at a Walmart - was like finding treasure. I wish I'd never unwrapped it at all in the first place, but oh well, deed's done.

So anyway, I guess that's the question? After finishing Pokemon Yellow on the Virtual Console, should I play the original Pokemon Silver, or should I play SoulSilver? I assume transferring would be WAY easier if I went with Silver on the Virtual Console. If I play Soulsilver, I'd have to use another DS to transfer my Soulsilver pokemon to a Gen-V game, and then I could take Pokemon out from Gen V and into my Pokemon Bank (and it's a one-way trip as I understand it). That actually doesn't seem so bad and I could probably get a used DS Lite for $25 at my local store if I keep my eyes open. And SoulSilver does seem WAY prettier, plus, well, I'd be able to catch/obtain pokemon! I still have a Riolu egg for instance in my old Platinum Cart and I'd love to get into my Soulsilver game... (I guess I really would need another cheap DS for trades makes those trade-while-holding-item upgrades easier too i dislike those).

Um, sorry about the stupidly long and rambling e-mail. I just truly don't know which version to devote my time to after I finish Yellow - Silver or SoulSilver (I have both). Also, I haven't played anything above Gen-IV before, and I was just going to go straight to Alpha Sapphire after playing Silver or SoulSilver, then probably to Pokemon X/Y, and then to the Sun/Moon stuff. 'Course if I really keep playing these, well, Gen VIII will be out. And I don't even own a Switch yet!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

SoulSilver is definitely the better game, and the Pokewalker is a fun gimmick if you can make use of it and its batteries are still working. I have a lot of nostalgia for Gen 2, but there's no denying they are dated and somewhat lame nowadays. If your only worry is transferring, though, then yeah VC Pokemon games will be the clear standouts.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

kaworu posted:

So here's where I am a bit lost... I know Gold/Silver is generally considered by most to be at or near the top of the traditional Pokemon games
:thinking_emoticon:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

heart gold is the best game

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Countblanc posted:

:thinking_emoticon:
It's probably true for people who haven't played since 2002, but BW/B2W2 are easily far superior games and much more entertaining as a contained story/followup sequel duo

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Amppelix posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this but I think the late totems and Necrozma are actually too hard. A pokemon game has unfairly hard bosses. There's a sentence I would never have imagined myself uttering.

The problem lies with the totem auras they get, I think. When you combine the speed boost with the offense boost, you get a monster that just destroys anything you send out before you can so much as pull off a single good move. You then have to resort to weird tactics like PP stalling, spamming X items, or AI cheese to win. If you could actually outspeed the boss with your fast mons, or safely tank at least that one hit with the defensive ones, you could start setting something up like debuffing it, statusing it, etc. and proceeding to win. But since both are realllly hard to do unless your team is just plain high-leveled, you're kinda just left with no outs.

Of course, since this is still Pokemon you can always grind your way past any problem but that's the boring and bad answer. That should not be required.
Malamar used Topsy Turvy!

...assuming it can survive a hit. Maybe stick a Focus Sash on it if you can get your hands on one in time.

kaworu posted:

So anyway, I guess that's the question? After finishing Pokemon Yellow on the Virtual Console, should I play the original Pokemon Silver, or should I play SoulSilver?
Transferring would be easier using Silver, but SoulSilver has the advantage that it's not an active chore to play & has a Kanto that's not poo poo.

It probably wouldn't be as bad for you since you're not spoiled by the QOL improvements in newer games, but it's basically impossible for me to go back to anything pre-RSE.

Or just get BW/BW2 if you're not dying to scratch a nostalgia itch. Gen 2 is pretty bad once you get past the novelty of having one complete region and one half-assed shadow of an old region in it. Soulsilver fixed Kanto, but it still has all the other pacing, Pokemon distribution(hope you like having every non-Umbreon Dark type unobtainable before the elite four!) & level curve problems of the original.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the key to getting past Ultra Necrozma, Totem Kommo-o, and Ribombee is Pokemon Refresh! If you get your team up to five hearts more often than not you'll be able to hang on with one HP and get that necessary hit in.

Rainbow Poke Beans are the key to maximizing your time investment

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

HGSS are awesome as hell but are still frustrating to go back to because of the lack of reusable TMs and the new moves and abilities that gave some Pokemon a new lease on life.

Also for competitive, breeding is approximately 10,000,000x easier now.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Carlosologist posted:

the key to getting past Ultra Necrozma, Totem Kommo-o, and Ribombee is Pokemon Refresh! If you get your team up to five hearts more often than not you'll be able to hang on with one HP and get that necessary hit in.

I just said gently caress it and slapped a Quick Claw on my Gengar, then Cursed and waited out the clock. Fucker lost access to Photon Geyser too thanks to Cursed Body

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ROFL Octopus posted:

HGSS are awesome as hell but are still frustrating to go back to because of the lack of reusable TMs and the new moves and abilities that gave some Pokemon a new lease on life.

don't forget the fact that the levels of wild Pokemon are terminally low, even in postgame areas

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The E4/Red grinds are hell. I thought I had a fairly balanced team and I basically had to throw myself at the E4 over and over for level ups because it was better then grinding on wild pokemon. Red I won on a battle of attrition through mashing my pokemons full of potions and revives.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

In this respect I have to say USUM has had an excellent difficulty curve and genuinely challenging fights requiring strategy. It's been over a week, I've logged 50+ hours, and I'm still only at Cyrus. I went and got the Lopunnite and both Dexio and Red required some good strategy to beat. For the record I don't use items in battle, play on 'set', and turned off EXP Share. Well worth it.

Seriously, this is the best non-battle facility postgame. If SM didn't exist these would probably be the best games.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Against Necrozma, I lost pretty hard the first time, but second time, I managed to squeak in a Nuzzle from Raichu to paralyze it.

Sunny's Nuzzle came in quite handy on a few occasions, along with him hanging on multiple times in a row so I wouldn't be sad.

My Pokemon love me so much.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
I had no idea you could lose plot-fights in this game beyond the first one with your starter. Turns out a team of island 1 dark types, noibat, wimpod and A-sandshrew is just ruined by Lusamine

Not looking forward to anything on Poni Island.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Abundant Atrophy posted:

I had no idea you could lose plot-fights in this game beyond the first one with your starter. Turns out a team of island 1 dark types, noibat, wimpod and A-sandshrew is just ruined by Lusamine

Not looking forward to anything on Poni Island.

A lot of your Pokémon aren't evolved at this point. Is that on purpose? Goons can hook you up with higher quality (appropriate nature, good IV) Pokémon if you need it, or an Ice Stone if you need one for your pangolin.

Speaking of trading, I think I have made a mistake with my latest breeding project. I churned out a bunch of Charmanders in Fast Balls to use as trade fodder. Even though most people will have to manually type in Charmander's name to look for it on the GTS, I figured that one of the most popular Pokémon ever in a rare ball would make for fast trades. They don't. Since Fast balls look similar to plain Poké Balls, maybe people don't notice? Now I have 20 Charmanders that no one wants. :sigh:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/935627584582295552

I guess Misty really wasn't in the anime very much after the voice actors changed. It just sounds off.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/935627584582295552

I guess Misty really wasn't in the anime very much after the voice actors changed. It just sounds off.

Yeah, she had uh... I wanna say two episodes while Brock was still a main character for the Battle Frontier and DP.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Meanwhile I watch the original series, and Ash and Brock just sound wrong to my ears.

Veronica's Ash in particular is overly squeaky and whiny sounding.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

ROFL Octopus posted:

Also for competitive, breeding is approximately 10,000,000x easier now.

also isn't it basically impossible to get gen 4 pokemon to current gen games? at least with the VC games, when you're done you can bring your team into 2017 with you .

I went and moved my mostly complete living dex into Ultra Moon last night and I have some Pokemon in there that are older than most elementary schoolers. I'll be Mega Bummed if the next gen on the Switch doesn't allow for Bank access.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Mizuti posted:

A lot of your Pokémon aren't evolved at this point. Is that on purpose? Goons can hook you up with higher quality (appropriate nature, good IV) Pokémon if you need it, or an Ice Stone if you need one for your pangolin.

Oh, only the Noibat was unevolved, my mistake. I lapsed on the names (I'll call Incineroar Torracat forever). I just have no answer to fairy (alola muk has gunk poo poo which will never hit), Water, or at the time Fighting ( Golisopod was the switch in, but only had Aqua Jet to put a dent in Bewear)

Noibat did evolve on the first fight at Poni island, though. So maybe Totem Kommo-o won't be the worst.

DC Murderverse posted:

also isn't it basically impossible to get gen 4 pokemon to current gen games? at least with the VC games, when you're done you can bring your team into 2017 with you.

Not impossible, but who wants 2 DS/lites, beat Black and White (or sequels) and play the worst minigame?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Abundant Atrophy posted:

Not impossible, but who wants 2 DS/lites, beat Black and White (or sequels) and play the worst minigame?

I actually have all the means to do that and I've collected every possible apricorn ball combination available in HGSS (except for 3 stubborn species that never swarmed). I've numbed myself to the awful minigame.

3 to 4 transfers, though, I can't stand. Pal park kills any interest I have in it.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

The E4/Red grinds are hell. I thought I had a fairly balanced team and I basically had to throw myself at the E4 over and over for level ups because it was better then grinding on wild pokemon. Red I won on a battle of attrition through mashing my pokemons full of potions and revives.

Just get Chuck's number from his wife and fight him over and over again on Weds evenings, much quicker. You can take on Red with a team of level 60s, but you do need a lot of items, Revival Herbs (best item in the series) and Hail damage.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Mizuti posted:

I actually have all the means to do that and I've collected every possible apricorn ball combination available in HGSS (except for 3 stubborn species that never swarmed). I've numbed myself to the awful minigame.

3 to 4 transfers, though, I can't stand. Pal park kills any interest I have in it.

:catstare:

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

hopeandjoy posted:

Yeah, she had uh... I wanna say two episodes while Brock was still a main character for the Battle Frontier and DP.

Not even that, if I recall, the last episodes she appeared in person were Battle Frontier episodes that took place before 4Kids handed the series over to TCPI for dubbing. I think the only time Misty was dubbed under them was that Master of Mirage Pokemon special and that Pokemon Learning League thing they did several years back. So unlike Ash and Brock, who have been around long enough to get used to their new voice actors, Misty's been stuck with Rachael Lillis's voice in most people's minds.

Not to mention Jigglypuff and Mr.Mime sounded a little off (but that was due to Mr.Mime's previous voice actress retiring).

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Cool guys thanks :) I'll just play SoulSilver and have fun with it, then. I might just ditch playing Yellow, because, uh... It *is* kind of a chore going *all* the way back to Gen 1, even though I don't even really mind it. Hell I might stick with it, shouldn't even be tough to breeze through to the end of it with all three starters on my team plus a Dragonair or something amusingly badass like that - I mean, it has been about 20 years since I last played this game, admittedly, so I'm really not even entirely sure. Might be fun to stick with it, I mean, as a kid I think I played the entire game through with like a single Charizard almost the entire way through. Silly.

Also, what did that one guy mean by having every non-Umbreon dark-type unobtainable before the E4? I am confused by that kinda

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

kaworu posted:

Also, what did that one guy mean by having every non-Umbreon dark-type unobtainable before the E4? I am confused by that kinda

It means exactly that. Every single Dark type can only be found in Kanto or Mount Silver. The only Dark type you can get before the Elite Four is Umbreon and even there only because you get an Eevee as a gift.

It's about as bad as Gen 6 making a gigantic deal of Mega Evolution and then locking nearly all of them to the postgame, or Gen 4 bringing a lot of evolutions for old mons and not letting you use any of them. Even generations are just bad at showing what they should be showing.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

You don't want things like Stantler in a Friend Ball?! :confuoot: But seriously, it was satisfying to round all of them up.

kaworu posted:

The distribution of Pokémon in GSC (and its remake) is really whack. For some reason, Houndour and Houndoom, Misdreavus and Mismagius, Slugma and Magcargo, Murkrow and Honchcrow, and Larivtar, Pupitar and Tyranitar are all confined to the endgame*. Two of them are exclusive to the final dungeon!

*HGSS adds the Safari Zone which lets you get a couple of them early

In any case I don't recommend using Dratini. You only find it before Victory Road and it's at a predictably pathetic level. There's no free Lucky Eggs in that game, so stick with a handful of strong guys early if you just want to power through.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I have soul silver back from when it came out. My first game was gold version, and I didn’t really play much after that until platinum and soulsilver, and then another gap between those and picking up Y and alpha sapphire in 2016. I really like the remakes of gold and silver, and it’s been fun to switch between the vc gold and soulsilver while playing through both. Obviously it is a bias because it was one of those “here is your first game system child, also here is tony hawks pro skater, spiderman, gold, and Links Awakening” christmas’

Years later I realized my grandmother had made pretty good choices in GBC games.

A stupid thing I will miss with using the switch in the future is I kinda have a soft spot for the 3ds effect of deepening the screen to simulate the old system screens after holding down the select/start button.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
yo what was the motivation behind making Rotom so god drat annoying, I gotta have his simpy rear end frowning at me all the time from the bottom screen cause I won't poke him in the loving eye

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

indigi posted:

yo what was the motivation behind making Rotom so god drat annoying, I gotta have his simpy rear end frowning at me all the time from the bottom screen cause I won't poke him in the loving eye

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I'm glad they made the prettiest pokeball one of the cheapest. I want all my poke friends in a Heal Ball.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

You know, I completely forgot about that. I've been deliberately not using it because I didn't like the feeling I only won fights thanks to rolling the survival in SuMo, but it seems like they actually made the game hard enough to compensate.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mizuti posted:

In any case I don't recommend using Dratini. You only find it before Victory Road and it's at a predictably pathetic level.

You can win one from the prize corner in Goldenrod, but, if you're in a hurry to power through the game, then that's obviously not ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Martian Manfucker posted:

I'm glad they made the prettiest pokeball one of the cheapest. I want all my poke friends in a Heal Ball.

It bugs me how its menu sprite and battle model are different colors.