Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
The sexy characters didn't bother me that much because the only thing I knew about the game going in was that it was made by Platinum. Remember Raiden and Bayonetta? Of course the main character is gonna have a great butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I dunno man I finally gave this a shot and pretty soon after the opening saw a robot going down on another robot in that weird robot orgy, and you can get a trophy for pointing the camera up 2B's skirt, so it's not like Taro is completely oblivious to this stuff.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don't want to make too many disparaging assumptions about the man but he probably actively partakes in this stuff, just in your more normal "don't broadcast it to the world on Reddit" manner.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nina posted:

I do have to admit I'm not a fan of how the game automatically moves the camera lower when you move without touching the camera controls making conspicuous angles more likely

The game will actively fight you if you try to go for upskirt shots, though. 2B will twist out of the way if you just move the camera low and close.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Yoko Taro did it. He won. I bought 3 bullet hell games while they were on sale on Steam and I love them. (Blue Revolver, Mushihimesama, and Ikaruga)

The game goes into Twin Stick Shooter mode at some points, but I haven't been able to spot any classics in that genre. Are there any standout titles? Sad robots optional.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I don't think "Taro made his character hot because he likes girls and he said as much" and "Taro made at least some effort to make the hot outfit fit the themes of the game" are exclusive things. A thing can be two things. It can even 2B things! Mind you, I'm the dude that ate poo poo for sayin' "...she could be wearing pants tho and it wouldn't change much" after I beat the game.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh! That is one thing I have to say: Automata made me come to appreciate Bullet Hell shooters, even if I'll never have the patience to play a full one to completion. I actually... got kinda decent at those segments by the end of the game that I made so far as the Square Enix part of the credits so I'm forced to admit there's something to that style of game, while not along the same lines exactly I picked up JYDGE.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Cephas posted:

Yoko Taro did it. He won. I bought 3 bullet hell games while they were on sale on Steam and I love them. (Blue Revolver, Mushihimesama, and Ikaruga)

The game goes into Twin Stick Shooter mode at some points, but I haven't been able to spot any classics in that genre. Are there any standout titles? Sad robots optional.

I hear things about Furi. You should check that out.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hikaki posted:

The sexy characters didn't bother me that much because the only thing I knew about the game going in was that it was made by Platinum. Remember Raiden and Bayonetta? Of course the main character is gonna have a great butt.

the characters are fine aesthetically, it just feels like people love them purely for that because they're sure as hell not fun to play as and they are really boring to listen to. In contrast, 9S dresses like a Catholic schoolboy dork but probably has the most emotional outbursts.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

DLC Inc posted:

the characters are fine aesthetically, it just feels like people love them purely for that because they're sure as hell not fun to play as and they are really boring to listen to. In contrast, 9S dresses like a Catholic schoolboy dork but probably has the most emotional outbursts.

2B gets some decent moments, a lot of them in the sidequests, but I'd agree that she's definitely not the most compelling character (and that people really like her design instead of her). At the end of the day the true protagonist is 9S and the best character of all time is my roboi Pascal.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dias posted:

roboi Pascal.
I'm still not sure what it says about me that I assumed Pascal was female for a while until they started consistently using male pronouns to refer to him.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Raxivace posted:

I'm still not sure what it says about me that I assumed Pascal was female for a while until they started consistently using male pronouns to refer to him

Female voice, I thought the same thing too.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Cephas posted:

I don't know about sad robots in twin-stick, but I can recommend horny robots: look up Scoregasm.

Also, yeah, if you like action and bullet hells, Furi is a wonderful beast.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Hikaki posted:

Yeah, pretty much nothing about 2B bothered me when we just got a game from them about a naked cyborg in high heels cutting other cyborgs in half. The same character that had Vamp as a rival in the game prior.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dias posted:

Female voice, I thought the same thing too.

Same here. After thinking about it I assume they were going for a child-like voice to emphasize that even as someone wiser than a lot of the other robots in the village, Pascal was still young when it comes to being more than just a robot.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Pascal is Pascal. Great VA for everyone.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Is there an updated fix for the whole fullscreen weirdness? The link in the OP is dead.
Edit: Found a new link I trusted, all good.
https://github.com/Kaldaien/FAR/releases/

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 29, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Noper Q posted:

I don't know about sad robots in twin-stick, but I can recommend horny robots: look up Scoregasm.

Also, yeah, if you like action and bullet hells, Furi is a wonderful beast.

Furi is the best Nier gameplay you’ll get

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Paul Zuvella posted:

I literally just said this, but when you first meet 2B, the main character of the game, you are presented to her with an upskirt shot.

This is not camera fuckery or whatever, this is a cutscene introducing you to the main character of the game. A conscious decision made by multiple people.

when you first meet 2b you're presented with her exploding out of her flight unit and the panty shot, which is there, is quite incidental through the action right at the end where the focus is more of her landing posed than saying "yo look at her panties tee hee!!!". as far as games giving you panty shots of characters goes, it's a really minor thing and not exactly something they make a habit of doing as a whole.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
"Very cute, it will definitely sell well!" - :yokotaro:

Charles_Kinbote
Sep 12, 2017

Nina posted:

I dunno to me the creepiest scene in the game is 9S’ gleeful and thrilled proclamation he’ll murder a roomful of 2Bs when you keep in mind that whole ”androids are programmed to feel plessure while killing” deal. Really makes me uncomfortable at the idea of leaving the guy alone with 2B if you go for Ending E

Since I can talk about spoilers without getting probated, the Adam sequence's censored text in the Japanese does not fit gently caress, it fits kill or violate. Kill is most likely anyways, since he actually lacks the organs, according to Yoko Taro, but you are right that 2B and 9S have one hosed-up relationship. The entire game is rather BDSM on this matter; the Yorha androids walk around in fetish gear with blindfolds. If there's anything intended, it's to suggest that their existence is one of torture and being tortured.

You've got to this of it this way; why did YoRHa choose to assign 2B to 9S, when their surveillance probably discovered that they had fallen in love with each other? The obvious, kind, decision, would have been to reassign 2E to another mission so she wouldn't have to kill 9S all the time, but YoRHa chose not to do so. Likewise, with the 11B recovery plot, you discover that her lover was quite unhinged, and 11B had to be somewhat selfish for trying to escape on her own. It's not simply the 2B / 9S axis that's screwed up, the entirety of YoRHa is not very right in the head.

That said, what did you find unsatisfactory in the 2B character? If A2 is a murderhobo, and 9S is a psychotic child, 2B has always impressed me as a character based on loyalty and willing suffering for her duty. I think you mentioned that Nier: Automata lacks an Emil-like sympathetic character, but 2B is the closest to a standard JRPG heroine, refusing to kill non-hostile machines in the amusement park section, for instance. She's the character that humanizes both 9S and A2 in different ways.

Nina posted:

To me the whole characterization just comes off as 2B being deeply disturbed by what she has to do specifically because of the messed up way they’re programmed to experience violence to the point she seems really eager to die when the opportunity arises. Meanwhile 9S is much more eager to go with the motions and be driven by his desires, even when he knows the truth he’s willing to ignore basic self-preservation instincts for the sake of being around her.

For the longest time the characters really bugged me because their dynamic felt way worse than the characters in the first Nier. But when I started thinking ”what if these characters actually feel intense discomfort around each other but are unable to let go” suddenly the interactions where they flip flop between inane bickering and actual care clicked. Like any actually good allegory it’s not direct but I can’t look at these two and not feel like they’re screaming a message about clingy, unhealthy relationships that damage both parties. They’re totally codependent and bad for each other.

If you've looked at the supplementary stories, 9S has tried to either kill or escape 2B multiple times, to minimal success. The one time he did succeed, though, he chose to kill himself so that he could remain near 2B in some way. So you're still right in a way. On the other hand, 9S is still a total jackass given that if he were to escape 2B, 2B would no longer be tasked with the endless "cycle of life and death" of murdering 9S and having to live with the trauma.

One thing you've allowed me to realize is the rationale of the Route C opening sequence. It never quite made any sense for me for 2B to send off 9S and work as a decoy; it was way too self-sacrificing when 2B, in my playthrough, was level 99 and 9S could have quickly dispatched the YoRHa units by hacking. But if you think of 2B's history, she's burdened by the guilt of killing 9S out of her duty repeatedly, and with YoRHa gone and no longer binding her, it's her way of making amends. 2B's final actions form a symmetry to 9S's suicide.

Kulkasha posted:

Yeah my buddy who beat the game before me went on and on about how existentialist the game is but once I beat it, it became pretty obvious that there's way more Buddhist DNA in the themes and plot.

There's many intersections between Buddhism and existentialism. Wang Yangming's Neo-Confucian School of Mind, for instance, has been described as essentially "Zen Buddhism", but it's also been described as Chinese existentialism. Buddhist emphases on "emptiness" also align with existentialist priorities on existence.

Charles_Kinbote fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 29, 2017

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

Route B thoughts:

I started cracking up when moose started showing up at every access point and I thought it was a deliberate Route B thing, but I guess it's from one of the sidequest sachet rewards. Seemed inexplicable at first and I legit thought it was just one of those Yoko Taro things I hear about so much.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Charles_Kinbote posted:

2B is the closest to a standard JRPG heroine

this is exactly why 2B is a really boring character

Charles_Kinbote
Sep 12, 2017

DLC Inc posted:

this is exactly why 2B is a really boring character

If you've gone through the material, she's like Kusanagi Suito from Oshii's Sky Crawlers: Suito's fate is that she's in love with a man, who is constantly killed and reincarnated. That, to me, is not boring, and even if she might feel like the joke "discard" protagonist of Nier: Automata, she's the heart and soul that gives it life.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
2B is The Boss of MGS3: Snake Eater, basically.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Taintrunner posted:

2B is The Boss of MGS3: Snake Eater, basically.

Yeah this is pretty much the vibe I got from her. The plot is weird in that there isn't really a specific main character, but she's the one that felt like the catalyst for 9S and A2's development.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
To the dumbass in the LP thread: holy poo poo dude, that spoiler is literally one of the last lines in the game, how are you this dumb

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I missed the LP spoiler, and now I’m super curious what the guy wrote.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you've finished the game, you've already seen it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's not really the point, big idiot spoiler man isn't exactly going to have some great new revelation that nobody here has ever seen before.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, but man I feel like a text LP is kind of missing the point of this game.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

People still do text LPs for non-Paradox games? drat.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I kinda like that it’s a screenshot let’s play, but it’s been a while since I’ve read one so I think it’s more that than any actual quality of the format. Really it doesn’t capture the impact of the game, but then again nothing short of playing it yourself will do that.

Synthbuttrange posted:

If you've finished the game, you've already seen it.

Yeah, but there’s a lot of uncovered content to spoil and I have no clue as to which it was. What was the spoiler?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

i am tim! posted:

I kinda like that it’s a screenshot let’s play, but it’s been a while since I’ve read one so I think it’s more that than any actual quality of the format. Really it doesn’t capture the impact of the game, but then again nothing short of playing it yourself will do that.

Yeah, but there’s a lot of uncovered content to spoil and I have no clue as to which it was. What was the spoiler?

2B being assigned to 9S to kill him.

Literally right before the final fight. With a fancy cutscene and everything.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tarezax posted:

2B being assigned to 9S to kill him.

Literally right before the final fight. With a fancy cutscene and everything.

Wow, what a loving rear end in a top hat.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Wow, I was off. I thought it would have been something from the Devola/Popola short story, since that was the topic at the time.

What an rear end in a top hat.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Not gonna lie, I prefer screenshot LPs wherever possible. 99% of LPers have these hyper-nasal yank voices that are like nails on the chalkboard of my soul.

Finally got around to buying this the other day, making me officially The Last Man Alive to Play Nier: Automata. It's good. It's really good you guys.

And reminds me a lot of Casshern Sins, on a superficial level at least.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Autonomous Monster posted:

99% of LPers have these hyper-nasal yank voices that are like nails on the chalkboard of my soul.
Silent playthroughs are cool and good. Before I got Golden I watched a 100+ video walkthrough of Persona 4 with repetitive elements removed and supplementary supercuts of unique social link dialogue, linked at appropriate moments in the story. Good people exist in the world.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

Not gonna lie, I prefer screenshot LPs wherever possible. 99% of LPers have these hyper-nasal yank voices that are like nails on the chalkboard of my soul.

:same:

https://twitter.com/sksktktk/status/936883651454812162

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I’ve got to plug Joseph Anderson’s blind playthrough of the game again. It’s one of the first games he ever streamed on Twitch, so there is very little weird LP ticks to deal with. He normally does long gameplay-based reviews on YouTube and plans on releasing a two to three hour review of Automata in late December or January.

Gameplay Prologue starts at 18:00.