Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Wulfolme posted:

I think the real question is, if the bitcoin bubble pops will anyone trust the word 'blockchain' ever again? I feel like a true understanding of the technology eludes most people, and the buzzwords around bitcoin will go down with it. I can see the well being poisoned for the entire idea of cryptocurrency after investors lose the money they put on bitcoin, even if no other coin goes down with it.

What do you think?

Bitcoin already crashed in 2014

You can’t underestimate stupidity, and if bitcoin is stronger because of stupid, well then it’s the most powerful force in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

bitcoin is [...] the most powerful force in the world
Correct!

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Bitcoin already crashed in 2014

You can’t underestimate stupidity, and if bitcoin is stronger because of stupid, well then it’s the most powerful force in the world

I know about MtGox taking the money and trying to run. I mean what if people with real money get burned on the bitcoin bubble? What if an investment firm is the one left holding the bag? How far will the distrust carry?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

First we pass keto, soon, r/woodworking! Bitcoin!

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Inept posted:

First we pass keto, soon, r/woodworking! Bitcoin!
Next up is r/BustyPetite, and then r/skyrim :O

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

This is all going to end in tears

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
$10,640

probably time to sell. not gonna

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

lol this owns

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Uranium 235 posted:

lol this owns

I'm never going to be able to buy a new graphics card. :(

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Uranium 235 posted:

lol this owns

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

This is all going to end in tears

DEFINITELY NOT A BUBBLE

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

well that was fun while it lasted
almoast got up to $11k

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here comes the dive. Hit $10,900 for a few seconds

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wulfolme posted:

I know about MtGox taking the money and trying to run. I mean what if people with real money get burned on the bitcoin bubble? What if an investment firm is the one left holding the bag? How far will the distrust carry?

oh I have no doubt that when the bubble pops it's going to somehow take a huge chunk of the economy with it because a handful of rear end in a top hat wallstreet investors bet the farm on internet funny money

it'll be the dot com crash all over again

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

How can you struggle with such simple questions? One more time, we're up to 4 or 5 where you can't muster a response. Lol.

What happens when cryptos are being used for 10 transactions per second, measurably? What will be your response to that?

note how every time someone brings up problems with bitcoins Ham Sandwiches pivots to talking about cryptocurrencies more generally

the question isn't whether or not distributed databases are useful, the question is why is bitcoin, specifically, useful; and the answer is that it isn't very useful at all, its value is derived from speculation rather than usefulness

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

It's more than taxes, comrade, it's being a wealthy Russian plutocrat and not knowing if friend Putin still thinks as highly of me and not wanting my assets to be seized by Mother Russia. I fill a wallet with coins and walk across the border a mostly free man. You can do this with diamonds or gold (bulky, cumbersome), you can do this with wire transfers (paper trail) or now you can do this with bitcoins.

I don't condone any of this, but it's the reality underlying why this thing is demanded the way it is.

I don't think it's mostly sweaty nerds covered in cheetoh dust buying these things by now.

I'm a patriot and I'm proud to pay my taxes full and on time every single year in the best country on Earth, the United States of America, but a lot of very wealthy people feel very differently about their burden to society, and this asset will reflect their sentiment.

bitcoins being untraceable and anonymous is a commonly spread idea, but the facts on this are a whole lot more interesting; it turns out that it's actually really easy to trace transactions on a public ledger, and the only way to keep your bitcoins completely anonymous is to never ever use them. At best it's pseudonymous, but in practice it's hard to maintain that state

"instant" and "no fees" were as commonly ascribed to bitcoin as "anonymous" is now; eventually people realized the truth and stopped using those, and people will eventually do the same for the "anonymous" label

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Is this the famous Bitcoin I hear about? Digital money? Doesn't look too impressive to me

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
bit coin can suck an egg

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
bit coin can suck an egg right out of its shell, god drat it

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Coinbase poo poo itself. that's always a good sign

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I wanna see a big crash.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

QuarkJets posted:

bitcoins being untraceable and anonymous is a commonly spread idea, but the facts on this are a whole lot more interesting; it turns out that it's actually really easy to trace transactions on a public ledger, and the only way to keep your bitcoins completely anonymous is to never ever use them. At best it's pseudonymous, but in practice it's hard to maintain that state

"instant" and "no fees" were as commonly ascribed to bitcoin as "anonymous" is now; eventually people realized the truth and stopped using those, and people will eventually do the same for the "anonymous" label

They're "untraceable" in the sense that when your doing illegal poo poo with bitcoin, police aren't going to be hosed doing all the nerd poo poo required to track down where those coins came from. Also they'd rather go after the crooks with stacks of cash, and not the guys with a private key written down on a bit of paper and hidden up their rear end in a top hat.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Lol still waiting for this crash.

[Hits 20k]

Annnnnytime now

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
By end of 2017: $10K per coin
By end of 2018: $100K per coin
By end of 2019: Every investor becomes super duper rich and buys their own private island because virtual money can do no wrong

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I am still offering early movers the unique opportunity to invest heavily into, my rear end.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Minimalist Program posted:

I am still offering early movers the unique opportunity to invest heavily into, my rear end.

I'd get in on the ground floor of this bubble. Literally, on the ground. On the floor.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
wonder if the brits are daft enough to pump their failing poundcoins into ePogs

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

If I eat your rear end will the internal revenue service have something to say about it

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

If I eat your rear end will the internal revenue service have something to say about it

You bet they will!

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

They're "untraceable" in the sense that when your doing illegal poo poo with bitcoin, police aren't going to be hosed doing all the nerd poo poo required to track down where those coins came from. Also they'd rather go after the crooks with stacks of cash, and not the guys with a private key written down on a bit of paper and hidden up their rear end in a top hat.

You say that, but after busting up a bunch of darknet markets earlier this year the Dutch police posted an awesome troll page where they were like "here are the usernames that we are in the process of linking to individuals, here are the usernames that we have already linked, and here are the usernames that we have already arrested, give us a call if you want to clear anything up ;)" and when asked they basically said that it was really easy to trace darknet purchases directly to individuals via the blockchain. Although I'm sure in a number of cases the drug sellers were also keeping addresses (because of course they would do that)

The police didn't even have to do much, there are several businesses that can already do this for you

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hmm so Newton entered your rear end a bit, then a lot, but his friends got rich in the meantime? Were you paying them?

And how did Newton become broke upon exiting your rear end?

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Hmm so Newton entered your rear end a bit, then a lot, but his friends got rich in the meantime? Were you paying them?

And how did Newton become broke upon exiting your rear end?

His first mistake was leaving my rear end in the first place, while his friend stayed in my rear end and reaped the rewards.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
$11,260. Crazy.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I have changed my mind and spent all my money on bitcoin, because it will keep going up.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

I have changed my mind and spent all my money on bitcoin, because it will keep going up.

extremely jealous right now

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Can I mine bitcoins free-hand by solving the math problem or w/e with pen and paper?

I use pens because I never make a mistake

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Nice and hot piss posted:

Can I mine bitcoins free-hand by solving the math problem or w/e with pen and paper?

I use pens because I never make a mistake

Better be careful what kind of pen you use. If you leave smudges, it might cause a fork.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
hey guys how's butterfly labs doing these days

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

looks like the top is in for now