Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

iospace posted:

BEGONE HEATHEN

NT4 SP6a motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mllaneza posted:

NT4 SP6a motherfucker.

Digging DEEP for that one. I like it.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

carry on then posted:

I don't seem to recall Microsoft every pushing a product as broken as this.

How quickly people forget.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Varkk posted:

How quickly people forget.

I'm curious what you appeared to be logged in as after doing that.

Also: the ease of access hack

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Methanar posted:

If I'm recalling, the help service ran as a SYSTEM account. It's been ages since I've seen that.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Methanar posted:

That's the one where you change the filesystem before booting, right? Not really a hack when you have full file level access to a system.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SEKCobra posted:

That's the one where you change the filesystem before booting, right? Not really a hack when you have full file level access to a system.

No, that's different exploit where you swap one of the system files with a one from one of those open source recovery toolkits.

I want to say this specific one was for Windows 2000 professional and maybe Windows XP Pro/Enterprise.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Hey guys macs on the network are cool no harm there :lol:

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

No, that's different exploit where you swap one of the system files with a one from one of those open source recovery toolkits.

I want to say this specific one was for Windows 2000 professional and maybe Windows XP Pro/Enterprise.

I think it was NT4 from memory. It also required no system file changes.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Zil posted:

Let me tell you of a little OS named Windows ME...

I worked at a computer store during that time.

Microsoft advertising: "Take ME home!"
Samizdata: "Leave ME at the store!"

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Proteus Jones posted:

Even better.

I just re-enabled it going through the Directory Utility and it prompts me to set a password when I enable. That tells me when you disable root, it clears the password back to NULL.

WHAT THE loving poo poo, APPLE.

Oh my god :cripes:

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

Zil posted:

Let me tell you of a little OS named Windows ME...

I'll raise you Win 98 and the upgrade version of Win ME.

That's 4 hours of my life I won't get back trying to install an ME specific Printer Driver.

:suicide:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

LethalGeek posted:

Hey guys macs on the network are cool no harm there :lol:

Hilariously, if your Macs are bound to AD the hack doesn't work because it needs to authenticate.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Hilariously, if your Macs are bound to AD the hack doesn't work because it needs to authenticate.

Oh that's good. Still the timing made me really laugh.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Apple has apparently already released a patch: https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/29/16715246/apple-releases-high-sierra-root-security-patch

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yep. It's in the updates section of the App Store application if you don't have it set to automatically apply updates.

Just tested it and it fixes the exploit.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

Apple says its security engineers went work when they became aware of the flaw “Tuesday afternoon,” which confirms that the company got no warning before it was publicly revealed.
Except that person who casually posted it to their forum as a fix for someone who screwed up their account password :thunk:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LethalGeek posted:

Except that person who casually posted it to their forum as a fix for someone who screwed up their account password :thunk:

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say forums are an effective manner of engaging a large company.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Really funny though that no one noticed. Whomever posted it didn't seem to grasp the crazy implications of oh here's a way to completely bypass the login process too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LethalGeek posted:

Really funny though that no one noticed. Whomever posted it didn't seem to grasp the crazy implications of oh here's a way to completely bypass the login process too.

Well, they were developers trying to do an end-run around their assigned user-level. So personally, I am shocked to hear they didn't slow down to think of the security implications :v:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Proteus Jones posted:

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say forums are an effective manner of engaging a large company.

A very, VERY high ranking executive used to engage customers on a loving yahoo group of all things and I know I've had more than one frivolous ticket as a result of it. xXx69WeedlordSephiroth69xXx is complaining about slow speeds on the internet you need to FIX IT. No we don't know his account number, modem MAC, phone number, or any other identifying information to find his account to troubleshoot, but do it anyway. I hated that guy.

I also know we used to have a group that watched the DSL report forums for customer complaints, but they'd hide in the shadows and wouldn't interact with customers so they wouldn't know we were watching. I haven't had one of those tickets for a very long time though, so if I had to guess, those people got axed as a cost saving measure along with...everything else we used to do in the name of customer satisfaction.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

carry on then posted:

Anything less than a full and immediate ban of all Apple products from your corporate networks is negligence.

A lot of pantswetters in this thread being DEEPLY CONCERNED that someone with physical access to a machine might be able to elevate privileges spuriously.

It's a very dumb thing, but if someone gets to your machine unlocked, you're probably jammed anyway, ffs.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

AlternateAccount posted:

A lot of pantswetters in this thread being DEEPLY CONCERNED that someone with physical access to a machine might be able to elevate privileges spuriously.

It's a very dumb thing, but if someone gets to your machine unlocked, you're probably jammed anyway, ffs.

You can do it remotely though lmao.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

fishmech posted:

You can do it remotely though lmao.

No, you can abuse it remotely AFTER you have done it locally once.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

chin up everything sucks posted:

which everyone already did to see if it works.

Even people who don't know what root is

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

I can't test it since I already did the thing locally, but I read multiple reports that the "exploit" worked first time remotely.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Renegret posted:

which everyone already did to see if it works.

Even people who don't know what root is

What do you mean what root is? Is the account of Rachel Ootenheimer that we knew in high school. We all did.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Tigren posted:

I can't test it since I already did the thing locally, but I read multiple reports that the "exploit" worked first time remotely.

I tested it, without having done it in System Preferences/User Accounts first, you cannot use root/null to log in at the user login or remotely.

Thats because the account doesn't exist yet.

Once you use it in System Preferences/User Accounts, it generates the root account with a null password.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tigren posted:

You cannot login or screen share/VNC using root with no password if root is in a disabled state or you have set a password. You have to enable it using the exploit so it will use a NULL password. If you enable it normally per their directions it forces you to use a non-NULL password.

EDIT: ^^ fb.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah I'd say the keychain exploit or any of the various thunderbolt fuckery is probably more dire than this. It's just not as boneheadedly stupid.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

You cannot login or screen share/VNC using root with no password if root is in a disabled state or you have set a password. You have to enable it using the exploit so it will use a NULL password. If you enable it normally per their directions it forces you to use a non-NULL password.

EDIT: ^^ fb.

However if you DISABLE the root account, password resets to null.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

However if you DISABLE the root account, password resets to null.

Right. (Well, sort of. But at a high level view it is indistinguishable from setting to NULL). The end result is that when you re-enable it with the exploit it doesn't enforce the creation of a password, which is what matters.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

carry on then posted:

UAC Bypass has been done many many different ways, but while that's strictly speaking not the same as getting access to root on Unix-likes, it's close enough. Personally, I'm just glad OpenSSH ships sshd_config with PermitRootLogin commented out.
Incidentally, Windows' version of root is called 'sa' and is completely disabled and hidden by default to the point that a lot of senior admins don't even know it exists.

Also, Windows before NT had no concept of LUA (limited user access); you could do whatever the hell you wanted.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

D. Ebdrup posted:

Also, Windows before NT had no concept of LUA (limited user access); you could do whatever the hell you wanted.

Unlike pre-OSX Mac OS, or GEM, or Workbench or any of the other contemporary operating systems you mean?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ookiimarukochan posted:

Unlike pre-OSX Mac OS, or GEM, or Workbench or any of the other contemporary operating systems you mean?

That wasn't the argument. The argument was

carry on then posted:

MS of 10 to 15 years ago was hugely broken in hilariously bad ways. They've mostly reversed course when it comes to security, but they got the reputation of being piss-poor on security for a reason.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good news nerds:

http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/2017/11/30/apples-security-fix-for-macos-high-sierra-breaks-file-sharing/

quote:

In the rush to get a fix out for a potentially dangerous vulnerability in macOS High Sierra, Apple broke file sharing. Fortunately, though, the company is aware of the issue and has already supplied a fix. The fix is a workaround and a new patch is not needed.

From support doc HT208317:

If you experience issues with authenticating or connecting to file shares on your Mac after you install Security Update 2017-001 for macOS High Sierra 10.13.1, follow these steps to repair file sharing:

Open the Terminal app, which is in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.
Type sudo /usr/libexec/configureLocalKDC and press Return.
Enter your administrator password and press Return.
Quit the Terminal app.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Re: Mac chat, I’m sure I’ve told this story in the thread before...

At my last job we had a doctor’s office client where the head doc was a big Mac fanboy. Wanted all macs for everyone.

Trouble was, the EMR solution they were going with didn’t have a working OSX version out yet, only Windows. But a Mac version was going to be out any day now!

The fact that the Windows version still only worked properly with an outdated version of IE should have been a warning flag on that front.

Long story short, the head doc, against all expert advice got what he wanted, and the “temporary” (6 or 7 years and counting by this point I think) solution to get it working was for all the staff to have Windows 7 virtual machines (each of which required buying a Windows license) on their expensive Macs.

The head doc was so dead set against Windows that he ended up forcing everyone to use Windows in the most expensive way possible.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

You know, I can almost hear the eyes rolling when I get pulled into a conference call and the first words out of my mouth are "what changed?"

Spent half the day yesterday without email because a duo update hosed 365.

Spent half the day today in a conference call because of a big data failure caused by a windows server updating and blowing away an ephemeral configuration variable that never got flushed to permanent.

Both incidents took at least two hours longer to resolve than they should have because nobody understands that we ask "what changed?" for goddamn good loving reasons.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

In a similar vein, getting a ticket escalated because somebody else has "exhausted all options" and there's gently caress all information in there past the initial request.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Thanks Ants posted:

In a similar vein, getting a ticket escalated because somebody else has "exhausted all options" and there's gently caress all information in there past the initial request.

Well, they already said they exhausted all the options, so try other stuff, obviously.

• Locked thread