Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

the vicky2 economy traveled back in time and created itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

pdxjohan posted:

The premise of Vicky is that all ideologies should be playable..

Nonsense, this is an election year, and we need all the jingoism we can get for more demands!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I hear Victoria 2 was created entirely by a really fat guy in a suit and top hat wearing a monocle and smoking a cigar while sitting on a giant sack full of money labeled "STANDARD OIL".

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

pdxjohan posted:

Oh for sure, it just doesn’t reflect strongly efficient markets. Which is a good thing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I guess LF capitalism is playable as a small country but uh, good luck.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Communism being the objectively correct and most prosperous system is actually perfectly realistic :smuggo:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

for vicky 3 it should have 20 different economic models that are picked randomly at the start of the game to fully simulate the fog associated with economics

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Agean90 posted:

for vicky 3 it should have 20 different economic models that are picked randomly at the start of the game to fully simulate the fog associated with economics

this would actually own

you don't know what the particulars of an economic system are until you're locked into using it

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

pdxjohan posted:

and yet planned economy

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Agean90 posted:

quote:

Patch 8 Changelog
Bug Fixes
* National economy will now expand properly in a Trickle Down economic paradigm.
* Fixed overflow error where Capitalist pops will support Communism in TD paradigm.
* Fixed bug where Capitalist pops will not spend money in TD paradigm.

Patch 14 Changelog
Bug Fixes
* AI should no longer go into death spiral where it keeps lowering taxes for no reason.
* AI budget planner will now cut military spending if it has a deficit.

Beta Patch 40 Changelog
Bug Fixes

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

pdxjohan posted:

laissez faire is literally the worst economic policy in the game by a long shot

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Well you can't really complain, that's just historically accurate. Fixing LF's suckiness would be like "fixing" machineguns for being too OP.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

When will patch 8 hit America, this is bullshit

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

pdxjohan posted:

I am looking forward to that 2018 release!

unwantedplatypus posted:

Sounds realistic to me.

Vicky3 will need some Tropico and Crusader Kings elements and it will be the perfect game. Maybe this time around someone will actually understand the economics model too.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

unwantedplatypus posted:

It's actually very good at boosting your industrial score (while leaving your economy an empty husk of fertiliser and concrete factories.) So it's actually just a very subversive play on the real world over-reliance on economic indicators like GDP.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

pdxjohan posted:

All Ideologies are Equal, but Some are More Equal than Others.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I have a question about euIV

Can I regain my ruling dynasty somehow if my king dies without a heir?

Are there events or anything like it?

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Has anyone done a compilation of Pdox dev qoutes on whats wrong with V2 and what they would need for V3? Like I remember them saying stuff like we would need something that does X or Y mechanic would need to be replaced because of a, b, c.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

unwantedplatypus posted:

You clearly have not had a Planned Economy party get into power.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Affi posted:

I have a question about euIV

Can I regain my ruling dynasty somehow if my king dies without a heir?

Are there events or anything like it?

If you're Austria then there's an event that restores the Habsburgs.
If you managed spread your old dynasty to other countries, you can keep up royal marriages with them and hope they eventually provide you an heir, (and you can help this along by frequently disinheriting your non-wanted dynasty heirs and keeping your prestige lower than your RM partners) but that might take a while.
If your original dynasty doesn't hold any other countries, you can also let your monarch die without an heir and with no royal marriages/have more prestige than all RM partners and hope the randomly generated "local noble" who inherits the throne has the same name as your original dynasty but that's even less reliable.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 29, 2017

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Pakled posted:

If you're Austria then there's an event that restores the Habsburgs.
If you managed spread your old dynasty to other countries, you can keep up royal marriages with them and hope they eventually provide you an heir, (and you can help this along by frequently disinheriting your non-wanted dynasty heirs and keeping your prestige lower than your RM partners) but that might take a while.
If your original dynasty doesn't hold any other countries, you can also let your monarch die without an heir and with no royal marriages/have more prestige than all RM partners and hope the randomly generated "local noble" who inherits the throne has the same name as your original dynasty but that's even less reliable.

Figures. Hopefully they'll add some sort of mechanic to it that lets you track family in a better way. Maybe not to the point of CK but one can hope.

I'm just for some reason very interested in keeping the Solomnid dynasty alive. And I keep disinheriting worthless heirs. Anything less then a total 9 monarch score gets disinherited (if I have prestige) unless my king is over 40.

Probably pretty dumb but I have had a load of really good kings because of it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Agean90 posted:

i hear the vicky2 economy was designed by milton friedman himself

the next 6 decisions will be critical

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I like Victoria 2 because it's the only strategy game I've ever played where I can institute Full Communism Now and feel like it actually means something. Other games like Civ and Alpha Centauri had stuff labeled "Planned Economy" or "Communism", but it was all just sort of abstract bonuses.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

gradenko_2000 posted:

the next 6 decisions will be critical

That's Thomas Friedman you're thinking of, but I appreciate the reference.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

DrSunshine posted:

I like Victoria 2 because it's the only strategy game I've ever played where I can institute Full Communism Now and feel like it actually means something. Other games like Civ and Alpha Centauri had stuff labeled "Planned Economy" or "Communism", but it was all just sort of abstract bonuses.

Only problem I had with full communism in Vicky 2 is that it made slavery a political reform that communists would reverse.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Only problem I had with full communism in Vicky 2 is that it made slavery a political reform that communists would reverse.

Full Communism causing Capitalists to pop-convert into Slaves would own, actually

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

gradenko_2000 posted:

Full Communism causing Capitalists to pop-convert into Slaves would own, actually

Only if choosing to allow prison labour for every other country was considered slavery too. :colbert:

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Where is my "Establish Revolutionary Tribunals and Liquidate Capitalists" button Paradox, make it happen

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Where is the option to liquidate the Social Fascists while letting Actual Fascists come to power.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Got cut with the murder Rosa decision.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

DrSunshine posted:

The problem is, it kinda turns out, full communism now is probably the most interesting kind of gameplay in a strict sense. I mean, victoria 2 is interesting in its own way, and it's a interesting give/take.

If capitalism means an AI plays your economic game for you, it's really hard to make it good or interesting. A good economic gameplay with different sets of bonuses is probably more interesting in game terms than having varied levels of economic gaameplay, some good, some not.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'd gut Victoria and design a fun game in its place instead of a broken simulation, and every one would hate me forever. :lol:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Panzeh posted:

The problem is, it kinda turns out, full communism now is probably the most interesting kind of gameplay in a strict sense. I mean, victoria 2 is interesting in its own way, and it's a interesting give/take.

If capitalism means an AI plays your economic game for you, it's really hard to make it good or interesting. A good economic gameplay with different sets of bonuses is probably more interesting in game terms than having varied levels of economic gaameplay, some good, some not.

This doesn't necessarily have to be the case, if there was more sophisticated modelling of government policy used to influence capitalist behaviour it could be very interesting. And potentially, full state planned economics doesn't have to mean "just click here to build factory", depending on how the game is structured.

This sort of thing is going to be what makes V3, the game needs to keep the feel of the period while making the domestic gameplay both more interactive and more compelling, which is going to be difficult.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

RabidWeasel posted:

This doesn't necessarily have to be the case, if there was more sophisticated modelling of government policy used to influence capitalist behaviour it could be very interesting. And potentially, full state planned economics doesn't have to mean "just click here to build factory", depending on how the game is structured.

This sort of thing is going to be what makes V3, the game needs to keep the feel of the period while making the domestic gameplay both more interactive and more compelling, which is going to be difficult.

Well, the modelling of government policy to influence capitalist(and state-planned project) behavior is yet another thing- adding more buttons and mechanics made to kinda work, which is by design, and definitely realistic, but not particularly fun in gameplay.

Even the USSR, when they wanted to start a project, had a bureaucracy to go to that diffused control- idea to implenetation was a uncertain process. Imagine playing Hearts of Iron and clicking to move your division to a province? That's a very video game way of simulating the role at the highest level. In reality, it would be someone up top choosing a commander who chooses to do this and that and at the end of this big, bureaucratic process.. that division ends up being a reserve for another operation.

Fintilgin posted:

I'd gut Victoria and design a fun game in its place instead of a broken simulation, and every one would hate me forever. :lol:

Same.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

I to would build a game around a nebulous concept.

Why don't more developers try it?????

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

LF seems like a pretty good economic policy if you first manually build up a decent industrial core under state capitalism or planned economy, then switch to LF for the growth. You might say you need to make your economy "too big to fail"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

disjoe posted:

Where is my "Establish Revolutionary Tribunals and Liquidate Capitalists" button Paradox, make it happen

this but unironically, the anarcho-caps must loving go

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I decreased the build time of factories by 90% in my personal mod and now LF is pretty good. It also solves the problem of factories getting too big to fail in general, and probably ruins a lot of the challenge of the game :shobon:

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

The Victoria II crisis system: the single best Paradox mechanic or system???

It had two flaws:

- The status-quo result when the aggressor had great powers backing it, but no great power stepped up for the defender.

- Not being able to bribe great powers to your side by promising them your own stuff. Ex: Plombières Agreement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I to would build a game around a nebulous concept.

Why don't more developers try it?????

I mean, I'd design a system like the economy as a game, not a simulation. With fun, human comprehensible systems. Design it out like a board game you could prototype and play in the office for feedback, like it was Sid Meiers Civilization or a turn-based rpg ruleset. Target goal: Victorian economy and industry in a fun way where the player can make meaningful decisions and input. Then you enhance it a bit knowing the computer can handle all the busy work.

I wouldn't design it as a simulation where zillions of individual pops all try to satisfy dozens of life needs, money is created and destroyed magically, and the people who designed it don't even know how it works.

Vicky fans would hate me because I think a lot of them enjoy the illusion of reality provided by a totally broke complex sim. It's got all those numbers, it must be more realistic!

EDIT: I mean, I get how it's cool as a thing, like watching clockwork or an antfarm or whatever, but that doesn't necessarily make for a good game.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 29, 2017