Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gitro posted:

You can absolutely attach a discount to a tech, that'd just be in technology_effects_junction and a few line edits, but I'm not sure about attaching an upkeep reduction from a building to a tech. I think you'd have to create a new effect, and that's an order of magnitude more involved, although you might just be able to model it on income increases. Delf slave stuff might have the right sort of scopes? I don't know, I might be missing something real obvious.

Effects are just effects and the same ones can be used on buildings, technologies, skills, ancillaries, in bundles etc. as long as you get the right campaign effect scope alongside it. Factionwide stuff wouldn't be a problem with technologies, but you might have issues trying to get fancy targeting specific regions or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Creating new effects is also quite simple as long as you've got a similar existing type of effect to use as a reference (like an upkeep reduction that effects specific units). It's just a line in the effects table, and then another in whichever effect_bonus_value_id table matches your type of desired result. Then you can attach that effect name to whatever building or technology or trait you desire.

And then after you boot up the game you realise you forget to add localisation so there's no visible text, and you used a positive instead of a negative value for upkeep reduction so it's all backwards.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
The thing is the only upkeep reduction ones I can think of are factionwide ones, I don't think there's anything like +1 PO factionwide per vampire, or -5% upkeep for each hamster wheel and it might be a pain to get together. Or it might be super easy and work just like income increases or whatever, I don't know!

PTE was stopping startpos compiling for some reason.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 29, 2017

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
From a few pages ago but as of the 8th edition book Wood Elves had access to all 8 original magic lores plus high and dark magic. This put them as the army with access to the largest number of lores. Their hero level mages could take the eight lores only. High and dark were only for lord level mages.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Gitro posted:

The thing is the only upkeep reduction ones I can think of are factionwide ones, I don't think there's anything like +1 PO factionwide per vampire, or -5% upkeep for each hamster wheel and it might be a pain to get together. Or it might be super easy and work just like income increases or whatever, I don't know!

PTE was stopping startpos compiling for some reason.

Dwarves get several for various trade buildings.

For example t3 salt mine reduces gunpowder/flame unit recruitment by 30%, +2 veterancy and - 1% upkeep cost.

My idea was to have research skills augment this, much like how it augments the bonus growth from Empower the Guilds or the recruitment discount from Masters of Steel and Stone ordinances.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Panfilo posted:

Dwarves get several for various trade buildings.

For example t3 salt mine reduces gunpowder/flame unit recruitment by 30%, +2 veterancy and - 1% upkeep cost.

My idea was to have research skills augment this, much like how it augments the bonus growth from Empower the Guilds or the recruitment discount from Masters of Steel and Stone ordinances.

Right, but that's an effect attached to a building, working the same as Queek's Life is Cheap(?) or Kroq'Gar's faction effect. Like it's two 'steps', for want of a better term, - the building has an effect, the effect works on units based on a property of those units. Building to units factionwide. Same as say +income techs - the tech has an effect, the effect works on buildings based on a property of those buildings. Tech to buildings factionwide. What you want to do is create a tech that has an effect on buildings, modifying a property of units unrelated to those buildings. Tech to buildings to units factionwide. I'm not sure there's an example of that in-game.

Or it might be super simple and just a case of aiming an upkeep reduction at a specific resource, idk.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Nash posted:

From a few pages ago but as of the 8th edition book Wood Elves had access to all 8 original magic lores plus high and dark magic. This put them as the army with access to the largest number of lores. Their hero level mages could take the eight lores only. High and dark were only for lord level mages.

Wait wtf? Wood Elves had ALL the lores plus high and dark???

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
I can't believe sassassin, troll-lord extraordinare, turned into a great modder!

Even less can i believe that im siding with him against that hilarously over the top reaction from Mixu in regards to the script file he used. drat what an ego on that guy.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
IMO just don't tell people if you steal stuff if you're not monetising it (you loving thief)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Or, always tell them because drama amongst modders is always just wonderful. Some dudes hold on so tight, like that dude that made a mod in Skyrim that removed city gates and then, for whatever reason, added Oblivion gates to all the cities. When someone re-released the mod without the weird Oblivion gates he went nuts.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

jokes posted:

Or, always tell them because drama amongst modders is always just wonderful. Some dudes hold on so tight, like that dude that made a mod in Skyrim that removed city gates and then, for whatever reason, added Oblivion gates to all the cities. When someone re-released the mod without the weird Oblivion gates he went nuts.

Arthmoor meltdowns are the finest of fine whines.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
didn't he also succesfully get the modded mod removed from the workshop and nexus? I can't remember much about it beyond it happened and his justification for the gates still being around centuries after the fact was something like they'd be hard to remove.

My startpos edits aren't going well, but I have managed to removed Ghorst and Kemmler from the selection screen, so uh eat poo poo you nerds

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
considering that this mixu dude seems to be one of the more prolific dudes out there who's made some cool mods and is running a patreon for them, you dipshits are putting on a bad look all around so grats on the :circlefap: i guess

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

So, with all the modding talk going on, I'll try asking for help here.

I have been trying to edit the Menace from Below ability to spawn different units, but no matter what I do, I can't get it to work.

I have tried changing the unit spawned in the ability itself, but that didn't work.
I then tried changing the unit that is spawned, the clan_rats_summoned_0 or whatever it is, but that didn't work either.

My next thought would be to duplicate the Menace from Below and make my thing a new button, but I have no idea how that would work.

Can someone help me?

Things I tried:
Replace the unit summoned in the MfB ability in the units_abilities tables or what it's called (Don't have it in front of me right now, sorry!)
Replace all the information about unit that is spawned in vanilla, just keeping the name and ID
The above, but instead of renaming the tables, I copied the entire original table, did my changes and saved it with the original name, effectively replacing the whole thing.
I tried to make the ability spawn a Doomwheel and Rat Ogres.

When I loaded the game with my mod, I also loaded the "No intro cutscenes" mod, and I still got cutscenes. Main menu said that the game was modded in the upper right(?) corner.

I can't find any other mods that edit the Menace from Below ability, so I can't see what others have done :(

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Dunno-Lars posted:

So, with all the modding talk going on, I'll try asking for help here.

I have been trying to edit the Menace from Below ability to spawn different units, but no matter what I do, I can't get it to work.

I have tried changing the unit spawned in the ability itself, but that didn't work.
I then tried changing the unit that is spawned, the clan_rats_summoned_0 or whatever it is, but that didn't work either.

My next thought would be to duplicate the Menace from Below and make my thing a new button, but I have no idea how that would work.

Can someone help me?

Things I tried:
Replace the unit summoned in the MfB ability in the units_abilities tables or what it's called (Don't have it in front of me right now, sorry!)
Replace all the information about unit that is spawned in vanilla, just keeping the name and ID
The above, but instead of renaming the tables, I copied the entire original table, did my changes and saved it with the original name, effectively replacing the whole thing.
I tried to make the ability spawn a Doomwheel and Rat Ogres.

When I loaded the game with my mod, I also loaded the "No intro cutscenes" mod, and I still got cutscenes. Main menu said that the game was modded in the upper right(?) corner.

I can't find any other mods that edit the Menace from Below ability, so I can't see what others have done :(

You should only have to change the entry that's clanrats_0_summoned or whatever to the thing you want. I've done a variant on that and Savage Dominion no troubles. I can't test it right now because I'm in the middle of swapping back from PTE again but it should work regardless of the model count of the unit you're summoning. Were you trying to do both at once? I'm not sure if you can do that.

One of the abilities in this mod is just MfB with clanrats swapped to harpies and a source/character change if you want to nick it (CLOre in the relevant table).

Gitro fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Nov 29, 2017

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

toasterwarrior posted:

considering that this mixu dude seems to be one of the more prolific dudes out there who's made some cool mods and is running a patreon for them, you dipshits are putting on a bad look all around so grats on the :circlefap: i guess

Referencing and/or asking would've been better and i agree deleting his first comment was a bit too much but the all caps rage message over something as trivial as a script copy is just infantile which some of us are finding humourous.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I just noticed Tyrion's horse has the same stupid wing hat he does. why are elves Like That

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Gejnor posted:

Referencing and/or asking would've been better and i agree deleting his first comment was a bit too much but the all caps rage message over something as trivial as a script copy is just infantile which some of us are finding humourous.

considering that we won't ever get a clear look on whether mixu's first comment was reasonable or not, deleting it was bound to piss him off, and that the thread previously went out to poo poo on that modder who stole mazz's code en masse, this is some real hypocritical rear end in a top hat poo poo

but then again goon trolling haha :rolleyes:

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Gitro posted:

You should only have to change the entry that's clanrats_0_summoned or whatever to the thing you want. I've done a variant on that and Savage Dominion no troubles. I can't test it right now because I'm in the middle of swapping back from PTE again but it should work regardless of the model count of the unit you're summoning. Were you trying to do both at once? I'm not sure if you can do that.

One of the abilities in this mod is just MfB with clanrats swapped to harpies and a source/character change if you want to nick it (CLOre in the relevant table).

I didn't try both at once no.

Thank you, I'll have a look at that and see if I can steal some of it :D

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

packetmantis posted:

I just noticed Tyrion's horse has the same stupid wing hat he does. why are elves Like That

All elves are poo poo head idiots

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Dunno-Lars posted:

I didn't try both at once no.

Thank you, I'll have a look at that and see if I can steal some of it :D

Yeah, I just tested it and just replacing clanrat_whatever with skv_doomwheel whatever works fine (and doomwheels own). I can upload it if you like, and a variant with Rogres instead. I'm not changing localisation for it though.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 29, 2017

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Gitro posted:

Yeah, I just tested it and just replacing clanrat_whatever with skv_doomwheel whatever works fine (and doomwheels own). I can upload it if you like, and a variant with Rogres instead.

Yes, please upload replacing it with Doomwheels, so I can see what I hosed up. Cause it make no sense that I couldn't get it to work.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

considering that we won't ever get a clear look on whether mixu's first comment was reasonable or not, deleting it was bound to piss him off, and that the thread previously went out to poo poo on that modder who stole mazz's code en masse, this is some real hypocritical rear end in a top hat poo poo

I did get a look at it and it was pretty reasonable, although you could still tell he was a bit pissy about it, but what's really hypocritical here is that a guy who got banned for pirating games is white knighting for someone who got their mod used without permission.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Dunno-Lars posted:

Yes, please upload replacing it with Doomwheels, so I can see what I hosed up. Cause it make no sense that I couldn't get it to work.

Here you go. It's a one line, one cell edit, idk why yours didn't work unless you got the wrong unit ID or it clashed with something else you had. Feel free to take that and do whatever you want with it.

Don't let mad mod men tear this thread apart :ohdear:

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

toasterwarrior posted:

Again i agree with you on the former part but on the latter part thats not really the case as i recall that guy was trying to monetize it while simultaneously copying more or less the entire mod. This is just a very small part of mixu's mod to enable the selection of a new LL. Everything else is sassassin's own effort and it is quite a bit of work looking through the packfile.

Maybe you should calm down a bit as in both cases (mazz's and this) apologies have already been made and imo they should be considered finished, no need to go into a hizzy fit.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

McGavin posted:

I did get a look at it and it was pretty reasonable, although you could still tell he was a bit pissy about it, but what's really hypocritical here is that a guy who got banned for pirating games is white knighting for someone who got their mod used without permission.

a good try but axemaniac totally got that post wrong and got me plat as an apology

Gejnor posted:

Again i agree with you on the former part but on the latter part thats not really the case as i recall that guy was trying to monetize it while simultaneously copying more or less the entire mod. This is just a very small part of mixu's mod to enable the selection of a new LL. Everything else is sassassin's own effort and it is quite a bit of work looking through the packfile.

Maybe you should calm down a bit as in both cases (mazz's and this) apologies have already been made and imo they should be considered finished, no need to go into a hizzy fit.

fair enough, i'll stand down

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Gitro posted:

didn't he also succesfully get the modded mod removed from the workshop and nexus? I can't remember much about it beyond it happened and his justification for the gates still being around centuries after the fact was something like they'd be hard to remove.

My understanding is that he complained to people he knew at the Nexus about the no gates mod of Open Cities being "mod piracy" and had it removed... only to have it pop up on the Steam Workshop where he had no power, and he FLIPPED. THE. gently caress. OUT.

He's a weird dude.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

When the gently caress am I getting a white lion chariot? I need a grindy AP melee chariot I mean look seriously. How sick is this?

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I want my next job to be proffesional lionbeard stylist.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Southpaugh posted:

When the gently caress am I getting a white lion chariot? I need a grindy AP melee chariot I mean look seriously. How sick is this?

All this and more can be yours for the bargain price of $15 USD

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Gitro posted:

Yeah but that single model probably costs $60 so eh.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
And more for the paints and basing materials. And you gotta do it all yourself.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah then you've got to find a friend who isn't just on the internet, live in a house that other people can stomach being inside, bathe... It never ends.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gejnor posted:

There were four all caps rage messages in a row, but to his credit he calmed down and deleted three.

I don't like that I'm having to use his script to get things working but it's the only functional solution I have until I figure out how to make a faction unlocker of my own. Depending on Crynsos' (increasingly bloated) mod limits what I can do myself for comparability reasons.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Gitro posted:

There is this strange disconnect with TW:W DLC in that... i'm comparing it to buying a model or an army and then it's suddenly cheap.

Like.. i could just not buy either and yet.. that simply doesn't occur to me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Blinks77 posted:

There is this strange disconnect with TW:W DLC in that... i'm comparing it to buying a model or an army and then it's suddenly cheap.

I honestly don't feel like any of the DLC has been a waste and it's given me in excess of 20 hours entertainment per $7 increment or whatever.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've been of the option that modders should be open to share and learn from eachother or expand upon eachothers works, if someone quits modding but has a bitchin' mod I wouldn't be against someone cracking it open and trying to improve it themselves, or editing a mod that has some bad parts like that opencity mod drama.

So long as they aren't trying to solely profit off others work it shouldn't be a big deal, but most of the time you end up with the other guy acting like this in response.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Due to import prices I could buy a starter set for more than what I'll end up paying for Total Warhammer 1 & 2, plus DLCs. I think Warhammer 3 will put the total cost above the model set, though.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So long as they aren't trying to solely profit off others work it shouldn't be a big deal, but most of the time you end up with the other guy acting like this in response.

you do realize that the "removing my comments" part of that pic says a lot about how why mixu would respond like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Oh I don't think I've regretted buying any of the DLCs and I wasn't really criticising their model, but especially outside the US the price can be a bit steep.

I'd pay 20 bucks for a rad lion chariot and one of the weirder beastmen units that aren't in right now plus some other stuff I guess.

Blinks77 posted:

it is because they're rad

Does anyone know what additional ranged/melee cp in unit_special_abilities do? I've not bothered to change any of them and it doesn't seem to matter, but there's a bunch of different values for things and I can't figure out why.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 29, 2017