Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Here's another opinion: I have become very suspicious of loud moral crusaders in general. It is so often the case that the loudest voices against a particular vice are secretly the worst offenders. They're so drat concerned about NOT being seen as something....

The most tumblr-rear end lady I ever met has a history of sexual harassing both men and women, and everyone knows a nasty story about a self-proclaimed 'feminist ally' [date rapist] in their local community. It's gotten to the point where if someone talks about how feminist someone is or isn't, that's a red flag. Moralizers on the right wing turning out to be exactly the kind of sex weird they need to be in office to "protect against" have an even longer history.

I want to be clear here, I'm not trying to make a 90s slacker 'caring is bad' point. But people who really devote themselves to a good cause tend to have some room for subtlety and nuance, and actually tend to engage with the concept beyond just trying to use it for social currency.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm a loving jew, my grandparents came to the US from Elsass, Germany, I live in west Texas, go to texas tech, gently caress other dudes, and I'll fight you if you cry about nazis

se habla espaņol

do you want my loving facebook or maybe will you stop talking poo poo and agree that nazis are bad and being against nazis is good

Shalom buddy. You post like an rear end in a top hat. Maybe try winning the struggle before you start with the purges?

Blue Star posted:

I'll fight you if you call me a Nazi and I'll loving win. My granddad killed Nazis and laughed about it.

You the one that started this silly little fight by calling me a Nazi. Those are fighting words. I'll kill a Nazi in real life. Would you? I bet you wouldn't. Thats why you're acting tough right now.

:staredog:

Eela6 has a new favorite as of 22:42 on Nov 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Henchman of Santa posted:

Can't believe people aren't willing to risk their entire livelihood by showing their face

People did in the past and were heroes for doing so. People lack conviction these days because they aren't sure which side will win yet.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In the words of Unwashed Francis "shut the gently caress up" about calling each other nazis etc. Just drop it. Yes I know it's ironic hoho

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wow, this has certainly been a weird derail/rant.

edit:
Oh! This is Nazi hill to die on!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
maybe we should make like the money threads and derail into weddings now

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

$100k a year salary isn't rich!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's ok to call boring derails boring without saying all derails are bad, because some derails are cool imo

however if you call poo poo people like boring they'll poo poo their diapers and maybe make a worse derail

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

maybe we should make like the money threads and derail into weddings now

We haven't done that yet. I'll happily play the role of the person who attempts to explain how it is OK to spend money on having a good time with family and friends, and that creating a memorable day is worthwhile, and how that in general, the transient nature of life does nothing to diminish the beauty of it.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Grandmother of Five posted:

We haven't done that yet. I'll happily play the role of the person who attempts to explain how it is OK to spend money on having a good time with family and friends, and that creating a memorable day is worthwhile, and how that in general, the transient nature of life does nothing to diminish the beauty of it.

gently caress you, you're only contributing to the religious foothold in this country!

(Am I doing this right?)

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

the discussion's already over but in the future we should remember that among certain groups of hardcore i may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it free speech advocates that the latest hotness is proving, by demonstration, how bad we would be at censoring certain kinds of harmful speech by saying something completely honest/innocuous but in a manner that leaves it open for interpretation and condemnation, thus illustrating how we can't be trusted with even the simplest judgements when it comes to speech and so we should just keep it free

like 'i'm for free speech and i'm not a nazi' are utterly wholesome things to say about yourself but in many situations someone will immediately proclaim that "i'm not a nazi," actually means "i'm a nazi" in this case, thereby performing a live demonstration of meaning being twisted as far as the exact opposite of what was literally said - the whole thing is a kind of rhetorical trap

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

ironic hoho

Mads pls namechang.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Everyone says we can't ban Nazi speech because of the chilling effect it would have on free speech but Germany did it and the worst consequence is that they get weird censorship in videogames :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Straight White Shark posted:

Everyone says we can't ban Nazi speech because of the chilling effect it would have on free speech but Germany did it and the worst consequence is that they get weird censorship in videogames :shrug:

An old lady in Germany just got jail-time (again) for denying the Jewish holocaust. Good, I say.

http://www.dw.com/en/nazi-grandma-loses-appeal-case-sentenced-to-14-months-in-prison-for-holocaust-denial/a-41565036

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
How does only one side of that slapfight get a probation?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

sassassin posted:

How does only one side of that slapfight get a probation?

Blue Star's posting history

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

Depends on where you live. Its poverty in SF and youd be loving rich af in South Central LA

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Straight White Shark posted:

interestingly free speech people would point out that most modern games depict nazis as being terrifically villainous/inglorious with some of them, like wolfenstein '14 and '17, outright depicting them as simultaneously pathetic, delusional and monstrous in a manner that feels like cathartic parody

and yet the depiction 'nazis are horrible' wouldn't fly in germany as is because of technical restrictions on the use of nazi iconography and such, and so video game developers have to go out of their way to create legally distinct not-nazis for german citizens to punch and kill - this would be a case where extra restrictions intended to curtail extremism through embargo are actually (slightly) inhibiting a cutting critique on them by forcing the villains of these games to be somebody else, in effect here the law is technically protecting nazis from direct attack

of course i imagine everyone still knows who these games are about and the slight adjustment doesn't really take any edge off but awkward situations like that are to be avoided if possible and maybe it's something worth thinking about if you're seriously considering tighter hate speech laws

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Jerry Cotton posted:

The Rocky Horror Picture Show is the "Bohemian Rhapsody" of cinema.

The Time Warp is certainly the Bohemian Rhapsody of songs from musicals, in that it's beloved by the same annoying people (from my experience.)

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Olive! posted:

The Time Warp is certainly the Bohemian Rhapsody of songs from musicals, in that it's beloved by the same annoying people (from my experience.)

You suck. 😉

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

who the gently caress is censoring nazis?

The Germans?

EF: Beaten by the shark.

Sic Semper Goon has a new favorite as of 07:53 on Nov 29, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kind of hosed up that Blue Star's grandpa fought tooth and nail against the Nazis, and all it amounted to was his bloodline ending with some mentally defective internet weirdo.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jerry Cotton posted:

I kinda like music :thunk:

Musical music is trash music.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Tiggum posted:

Watch Shock Treatment. Everyone. All of you. Watch it.

This got lost in the noise, but man, this why doesn't this surprise me in the slightest? Such a Tiggum opinion.

(Don't feel bad though, I reckon Shock Treament is more consistent song-wise than RHPS and I like how the setting is meta.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The one thing I don't like about most Broadway and West End musicals is how everyone sounds like they have basically the same singing voice; same intonation, same timbre etc.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

The one thing I don't like about most Broadway and West End musicals is how everyone sounds like they have basically the same singing voice; same intonation, same timbre etc.

They probably went to the same singing coach while they were in the "waiting tables and sucking dick" stage of their careers.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Jerry Cotton posted:

They probably went to the same singing coach while they were in the "waiting tables and sucking dick" stage of their careers.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Elissimpark posted:

Such a Tiggum opinion.
I don't know what that means. :shrug:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's more than what 80% of the country is making and twice as much as what the median salary is. Just because you can't buy a Ferrari outright doesn't mean you aren't rich.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Remember back in 2008 when McCain said that 5M is what counts as rich?

This actually got me thinking about how we could define it, and the best I could come up with is "Do you work for your money, or does your money work for you?"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'd say once you crack the $1mil mark it'd be safe to call you rich. The ramp up to that is what people get all bent out of shape about. $100k income is upper middle class. There's rich people that have $0 income (that's part of the goal a lot of the time). Maybe defining "rich" should be once you don't need an income?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Americans think it's normal and ok to sacrifice vacations and travel, worry about how much a meal or a drink costs, and worry about car repairs and hospital bills. Anyone who doesn't need to worry about that poo poo is rich.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
If you're not worried about the cost of your trial or its outcome, you're rich.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

Americans think it's normal and ok to sacrifice vacations and travel, worry about how much a meal or a drink costs, and worry about car repairs and hospital bills. Anyone who doesn't need to worry about that poo poo is rich.

One of these is not like the others: cars are a luxury item so it's normal to worry about car repairs.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Jerry Cotton posted:

One of these is not like the others: cars are a luxury item so it's normal to worry about car repairs.

The most lauded public transportation system in country is effectively a cover for a slush fund and is so terribly managed that some random guy hijacking the trains and busses made them run significantly more smoothly.

Anyone who believes that cars are a luxury item is living comfortably enough to be considered rich.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MizPiz posted:

The most lauded public transportation system in country is effectively a cover for a slush fund and is so terribly managed that some random guy hijacking the trains and busses made them run significantly more smoothly.

Anyone who believes that cars are a luxury item is living comfortably enough to be considered rich.

If cars aren't a luxury, why can't I afford one :thunk:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Jerry Cotton posted:

If cars aren't a luxury, why can't I afford one :thunk:

Same reason you can't afford healthcare, capitalism.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MizPiz posted:

Same reason you can't afford healthcare, capitalism.

I have free healthcare.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Jerry Cotton posted:

you clearly don't live in southern california

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's still a great movie, but holy christ Close Encounters aged badly when looked at with a modern prism/understanding of mental illness and the damage it does to the family around the person suffering. Roy's experience shatters his family, his kids are definitely going to need help, and doesn't even think about abandoning his family.

E: gently caress, I'll add another: I don't like Scouring Of The Shire style stuff, be it the original example in Lord of the Rings, or any time any movie/game/whatever decides it'll be interesting or compelling to go from some high-stakes stuff to some bad guy whose influence extends about twenty feet from where he's standing.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 21:34 on Nov 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

steinrokkan posted:

Musical music is trash music.

:ssh: They're called show tunes.

And my PHUO is that I like a lot of the music in musicals. They are usually catchy, upbeat and easy to dance to and sing along with and even the slow songs usually have a lot of emotion and heart, which is all stuff I like when I listen to music.

Also the tv show "Smash" was a little rocky in the first season but got really good in Season 2 and I'm sad it got cancelled.