Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you can't turn it off because idiot web developers were saying "i want my app to be sooper secure so i'm going to turn off autocomplete and make people remember their passwords", which is dumb as rocks.

if you have a login form that you're trying to turn off autocomplete for, you should stop because you're being really dumb. if it's not a login form but it's accidentally being detected as one, that kinda sucks, but why are you using a password field?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

hell yeah time to rotate the model on the Y axis in perspective projection

...what the gently caress????

elcannon
Jun 24, 2009
Apparently the most used feature on our software is the ability to POST raw SQL to an API controlled by our software which then executes the query on an internal database controlled by whatever vendor specific system the customer has configured and returns the results of the query. My gut tells me that this is a catastrophe waiting to happen and I'm not sure I want to know why this exists in the way that it does but whatever. Looking through the list of systems we support through this feature though I saw that several of them don't expose the database and I was curious as to how we were executing SQL queries on these. Ended up finding a lot of this good stuff from the previous dev:
code:
if(queryText.ToLower().Trim() == "select * from offices")
{
	return _vendorHttpApi.GetOffices();
}
else if (...)
Nothing looks like it supports any WHERE clauses or joins or anything right now but at least when those requests start coming in there's an actual sql to linq library I guess.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Making :10bux: from bad programmers is good, an abundant market to reap.

Sounds like :shrek:, you have pretty much invented your own SQL dialect? Or is this compatible with one vendor? If you are on Windows why do you care about anything other than SQL Server though?

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

whats wrong with unity (for what i assume to be a hobby project)? seems to be like a good option if you skip the mountains on integrated tooling, boot into vs/rider and hack away using someone else's multiplatform support work

it's just too much at this stage, i don't want to learn a big engine when i should be learning game development basics (all my experience so far is web dev). was using sdl before this, monogame seems similar just with a much, much nicer language attached.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

elcannon posted:

code:
{
}
else if (...)
I trust you're actively looking for a new job?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jony neuemonic posted:

it's just too much at this stage, i don't want to learn a big engine when i should be learning game development basics (all my experience so far is web dev). was using sdl before this, monogame seems similar just with a much, much nicer language attached.

ah, fair enough

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

elcannon posted:

code:
{
}
else if (...)

lmao. why bother "parsing" sql statements if you're just going to do string matching?

go find whoever wrote that and publicly shame them in the office or whatever.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Luigi Thirty posted:

I think your math might be off

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

that or Luigi Thirty has discovered a way to read the True Names

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

c tp s: after losing access to dapper for the foreseeable future i tried to make it so data access implementors at least don't have to deal with too much OracleDataReader/IDataReader cruft through reflection and dynamics

in the process of learning i learned System.Dynamic has a class called ExpandoObject and i think that is just wonderful (in addition to it being hella useful)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Yeah, it squishes as the Y rotation approaches 180 and stretches as the X approaches 180. :confused:

I did hook up the hardware clipping to my polygon blits so it wouldn’t corrupt memory so there’s a plus

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Ciaphas posted:

in the process of learning i learned System.Dynamic has a class called ExpandoObject and i think that is just wonderful (in addition to it being hella useful)

You can throw away all of the type checking and pretend that you're writing javascript, but why would you want to do that?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Fiedler posted:

You can throw away all of the type checking and pretend that you're writing javascript, but why would you want to do that?

seemed like it'd be useful at the time as a substitute for one-use repos but now that i think about it i'm kinda scratching my head about that

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 29, 2017

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jabor posted:

if you have a login form that you're trying to turn off autocomplete for, you should stop because you're being really dumb. if it's not a login form but it's accidentally being detected as one, that kinda sucks, but why are you using a password field?

maybe they’re making a web-based password wallet

right? right?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

maybe someone sat on the box containing the universe

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

jony neuemonic posted:

dehumanize yrself and face to game engines. don't fall into the trap that i did where you piss around attempting to write games from scratch because you're too cool to use a real engine.

unity's simple poo poo, you'd have no problem learning game dev basics in it.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Jabor posted:

you can't turn it off because idiot web developers were saying "i want my app to be sooper secure so i'm going to turn off autocomplete and make people remember their passwords", which is dumb as rocks.

It's not a login form, it's a user credentials page on a customer management system. The password box is masked and populated with a placeholder to represent that the customer has a password set. The person using the page can use the field to change a customer's password if necessary.

Masking the password on an interface like that is good practice and it all works fine if only chrome would stop prompting people to save login credentials when they modify unrelated data on the customer's profile.

It's not the end of the world because the application is a SPA so most stuff goes via ajax and doesn't trigger the prompt, but pressing enter to submit the forms on the page seems to trigger it. Might be some prevent default stuff to do to solve it - either that or we're in the territory of trying to use CSS to implement password masking on a text box which I'd rather stay the hell away from.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Nov 29, 2017

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
ran into a vendor once that had an http api. some of the endpoints took a bunch of filters that looked astonishingly like a WHERE clause

if you didn't escape single quotes, you received a generic asp.net exception page - stack traces, code snippets, and all

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

oh, so you’re writing an application but making people access it through a web page

don’t do that, write a real user interface, then Chrome won’t get in the way

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

CommunistPancake posted:

dehumanize yrself and face to game engines. don't fall into the trap that i did where you piss around attempting to write games from scratch because you're too cool to use a real engine.

unity's simple poo poo, you'd have no problem learning game dev basics in it.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

eschaton posted:

oh, so you’re writing an application but making people access it through a web page

If only. People apparently get all upset if your "cloud based software" requires a desktop installer download.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

elcannon posted:

Apparently the most used feature on our software is the ability to POST raw SQL to an API controlled by our software which then executes the query on an internal database controlled by whatever vendor specific system the customer has configured and returns the results of the query. My gut tells me that this is a catastrophe waiting to happen and I'm not sure I want to know why this exists in the way that it does but whatever. Looking through the list of systems we support through this feature though I saw that several of them don't expose the database and I was curious as to how we were executing SQL queries on these. Ended up finding a lot of this good stuff from the previous dev:
code:
{
}
else if (...)
Nothing looks like it supports any WHERE clauses or joins or anything right now but at least when those requests start coming in there's an actual sql to linq library I guess.

good god

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

eschaton posted:

have you seen native enterprise apps? web apps are an improvement in every conceivable way

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
so lastdev home rolled a timeseries database in mongo and kinesis and now there's a bug that i genuinely don't know how to fix.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i hate this application so much. i dont understand our data or use case. i know our stack really well and I'm good at tooling around in it but when it comes to implementing business logic i'm totally lost. i've been here 9 months.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

so lastdev home rolled a timeseries database in mongo and kinesis and now there's a bug that i genuinely don't know how to fix.

step 1: get a reproducable test case in which you can go from a correct state start to a state where the bug is clear to see
step 2: shrink down the test case as much as possible, ideally to a single API call but that's often not actually possible
step 3: delve into the broken call to get to a half-way point and see if the state there is broken or not. repeat i.e. binary search/

note that if the call is opaque to you ie you can't actually view the internals and it's just okay before but broken after then that's possibly an external bug and instead of fixing it you need to find a workaround, or ask for help, etc. from what you say i'm guessing that you have access to the intermediate states/code though

e: especially if it's in scala, because intellij lets you 1) view sources of most dep jars, and 2) set breakpoints on said sources. this is super loving useful, i once spent a day in spray json's internals. note that implicits do make this process more annoying however. let me know if you want to go into more detail about debugging implicits

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gonadic io posted:

step 1: get a reproducable test case in which you can go from a correct state start to a state where the bug is clear to see
step 2: shrink down the test case as much as possible, ideally to a single API call but that's often not actually possible
step 3: delve into the broken call to get to a half-way point and see if the state there is broken or not. repeat i.e. binary search/

note that if the call is opaque to you ie you can't actually view the internals and it's just okay before but broken after then that's possibly an external bug and instead of fixing it you need to find a workaround, or ask for help, etc. from what you say i'm guessing that you have access to the intermediate states/code though

e: especially if it's in scala, because intellij lets you 1) view sources of most dep jars, and 2) set breakpoints on said sources. this is super loving useful, i once spent a day in spray json's internals. note that implicits do make this process more annoying however. let me know if you want to go into more detail about debugging implicits

it's unfortunately not that kind of bug. i understand how and why it's happening, it's just a design flaw of the system and i'm not sure how to fix it short of rearchitecting the whole thing (which is not on the table).

would be interested in hearing your implicit debugging stories!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

c tp s: after losing access to dapper for the foreseeable future i tried to make it so data access implementors at least don't have to deal with too much OracleDataReader/IDataReader cruft through reflection and dynamics

I like IsolationLevel.Chaos

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

elcannon posted:

code:
{
}
else if (...)

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i hate this application so much. i dont understand our data or use case. i know our stack really well and I'm good at tooling around in it but when it comes to implementing business logic i'm totally lost. i've been here 9 months.

I thought you were getting an asp.net job?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shaggar posted:

I thought you were getting an asp.net job?

didn't pan out, couldn't get the same $$$

still working on it though

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

(which is not on the table).

delegate up until someone is who is allowed to fix it, can

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

didn't pan out, couldn't get the same $$$

still working on it though

bummer.

elcannon
Jun 24, 2009

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

lmao. why bother "parsing" sql statements if you're just going to do string matching?

go find whoever wrote that and publicly shame them in the office or whatever.

The guy who wrote it was one of the cofounders and sole developer until a couple months ago when he supposedly just stormed out after some dispute. They picked up a couple contract devs to try to put out a bunch of existing fires so I'm supposed to be out before the end of the year but we'll see. His work has really cemented my belief that code is a liability and not an asset though. Guy wrote his own installer, logger, CRM, helpdesk system, billing system, job application system and it all exists across like 3 assemblies so when the job that parses the resumes to the open HR position fails for whatever reason then there's a good chance that we won't receive emails about errors or someone won't get billed etc.

I can't complain really, getting paid to push buttons and all, and I regularly get to make some really delete heavy commits, like removing almost 100 instances of this:
code:
	//this is a space
	private char SPACE												= Char.Parse(" ");

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

elcannon posted:

Guy wrote his own installer, logger, CRM, helpdesk system, billing system, job application system and it all exists across like 3 assemblies so when the job that parses the resumes to the open HR position fails for whatever reason then there's a good chance that we won't receive emails about errors or someone won't get billed etc.

what in the flying flying FLYING gently caress :stonklol:

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

yowza

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
woah

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

hmm looks like my insurance company deployed its js mapping files to prod. im just sitting here reading the insane number of TODO comments in the source. the site is trash btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

fritz posted:

there's no 'maybe' when it comes to the state of android docs
They've always been complete poo poo.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

c tp s: we sent one of our investors a literal thousand of identical text messages because the service provider api kept returning "message denied" error as our server bombarded them with repeated requests to get one through
Fail counts, bithc.

Sapozhnik posted:

i don't like dynamically typed languages but they do have valid uses
As glue for C/C++

elcannon posted:

Guy wrote his own installer, logger, CRM, helpdesk system, billing system, job application system and it all exists across like 3 assemblies so when the job that parses the resumes to the open HR position fails for whatever reason then there's a good chance that we won't receive emails about errors or someone won't get billed etc.
:sever:

• Locked thread