Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

toasterwarrior posted:

you do realize that the "removing my comments" part of that pic says a lot about how why mixu would respond like that

It was only one comment, and it didn't say anything I hadn't already admitted in my description. I was upfront about the theft and gave the guy full credit for his janky script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/205070498

Highlight is from 19 minutes and out.

Highlight-highlight is at 22:50 if you really want to get to the point.

Rome 2, but still worth watching.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

sassassin posted:

It was only one comment, and it didn't say anything I hadn't already admitted in my description. I was upfront about the theft and gave the guy full credit for his janky script.

hey, you took the guy's code to make your mod, didn't ask permission, deleted his first attempt to reach out, dragged your little drama over here, and people are getting all high and mighty about him being pissed. but yeah, you're a self-admitted troll, i didn't expect anything less

everyone else though being all "oh how over-the-top" about mixu raging out, when we pretty much raked another modder over the coals for doing the same to mazz? yeah, hypocritical assholes, the lot of you. but then again, goons

Dunno-Lars posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/205070498

Highlight is from 19 minutes and out.

Highlight-highlight is at 22:50 if you really want to get to the point.

Rome 2, but still worth watching.

Hah, holy poo poo that's a thing. The nearest thing I see to a unit bugging out like that is artillery dodge dances and units desperately hugging walls or whatever to trying and get to a flank without snaring on a nearby unit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Why do my mortars try to walk forward and punch towers to death?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

JBP posted:

It's a weird thing people have been reporting sporadically. Lucky enough to not have experienced it for myself, but you could trying repositioning them to see if they unfuck themselves.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

everyone else though being all "oh how over-the-top" about mixu raging out, when we pretty much raked another modder over the coals for doing the same to mazz? yeah, hypocritical assholes, the lot of you. but then again, goons

What a lot of people have mentioned already, if this is the right mod I'm thinking of, that other modder basically took a warhammer 1 mod, ported it over with no credit to the source and numerous bugs since nothing was changed between the port from 1 to 2 and then tried to get money for making the mod.

sassassin posted:

I will say calling it a "janky script" is a bit dickish since your using his work on that front, janky or not, it's better then anything you've come up with so far and why your using it.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 29, 2017

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

toasterwarrior posted:

Hah, holy poo poo that's a thing. The nearest thing I see to a unit bugging out like that is artillery dodge dances and units desperately hugging walls or whatever to trying and get to a flank without snaring on a nearby unit.

I've seen exactly this happening but not since Rome 2's release really. Amazing that it's still in the game, I thought they'd caught most of the instances of that bug.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm not a troll I've just been accused of being one on here for so long I've adopted the title as a defence mechanism.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I will say calling it a "janky script" is a bit dickish since your using his work on that front, janky or not, it's better then anything you've come up with so far and why your using it.

It's doing some stuff I don't want like crashing the vortex campaign. My editing of it has cleaned things up a bit for what I need it to do for my mod, but it's a less than ideal solution.

I've spent some time on the startpos edit but while that will be a neater package it's a compatibility nightmare.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

JBP posted:

The enemies of the Empire will fall before their implacable fists. The spirit of man burns brighter than any mere explosive could ever hope to

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I read some of the end times stuff on a warhammer wiki and oh my god that's depressing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I hope they release Sigmarines as the final DLC

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

JBP posted:

I hope they release Sigmarines as the final DLC

TBH, after playing this long, an endgame Chaos-equivalent for the bad guys has some appeal to it, even if they're loving Sigmarines.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gitro posted:

Does anyone know what additional ranged/melee cp in unit_special_abilities do? I've not bothered to change any of them and it doesn't seem to matter, but there's a bunch of different values for things and I can't figure out why.

They're ratings for how good the ai judges the unit to be at ranged and melee combat.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gitro posted:

My startpos edits aren't going well, but I have managed to removed Ghorst and Kemmler from the selection screen, so uh eat poo poo you nerds

Do you know how you did this?

Gitro
May 29, 2013

sassassin posted:

Do you know how you did this?

I tried to give them to Vampire Coast, so no, not really. It was a change in at least one of start_pos_characters, _factions and/or _starting_general_options. No futzing about with the frontend/faction_whatever files seems to bring them back. Also BoB eats starting units for some reason - nobody gets their extra starting buds.

sassassin posted:

They're ratings for how good the ai judges the unit to be at ranged and melee combat.

Ooooh, thanks. Does it affect autoresolve as well? How did you find that out? I guess I have some rebalancing to do.

Also do you want some custom abilities for your weeb elf's sword or something? I have a slight addiction to putting them together.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 29, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

toasterwarrior posted:

TBH, after playing this long, an endgame Chaos-equivalent for the bad guys has some appeal to it, even if they're loving Sigmarines.
Nah.

Make it a unified front of men, elves, dwarfs, etc. End Times and Age of Sigmar should stay where it belongs. In the trash.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The good guys already have superhuman warriors blessed by a dark bargain with an eldritch horror.

They're called Grail Knights.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Safety Factor posted:

Nah.

Make it a unified front of men, elves, dwarfs, etc. End Times and Age of Sigmar should stay where it belongs. In the trash.

A "best of" army composition for the good guys actually sounds compelling too, now that Rogue Armies are a thing. Imagine the bullshit of a Dwarf melee line with Empire and Bretonnian cavalry, mixed artillery, plus High Elf magic, archers, and monsters.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I am 90% sure that End Times will be the final DLC for the games. But hey, that just means you can rewrite history and not blow up the setting.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gitro posted:

Ooooh, thanks. Does it affect autoresolve as well? How did you find that out? I guess I have some rebalancing to do.

No idea how much practical effect the ratings have (compared to, say, the ai_usage_groups entry).

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I understand Mixu's rage. Scripting suuuccckkks and if I ever get a good script finished then everyone who uses it should be required to praise my name everytime they start up warhammer.

So many mod ideas dashed upon the rocks of "scripting is hard"...

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mordja posted:

I am 90% sure that End Times will be the final DLC for the games. But hey, that just means you can rewrite history and not blow up the setting.

Do you mean the End Times(tm) story and events which were near-universally reviled, or the 'end of times chaos is trying to destroy the world!' concept which has already been the main threat for Warhammer 1 and 2?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

toasterwarrior posted:

That is Lizardmen. Their frontline troops are easily some of the best units in the game and they have plenty of terrifying monsters that will wreck anything unless handled correctly.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Hunt11 posted:

That is Lizardmen. Their frontline troops are easily some of the best units in the game and they have plenty of terrifying monsters that will wreck anything unless handled correctly.

seriously, thought I'd be playing more as the lizards but they are genuinely boring

at least when the elves go up against someone with armor you have to start thinking about the melee game, lizardmen are point saurus at enemy line, point dinosaur at enemy archers, laugh

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I like Skaven but they also give me the same vibes of there being one solution to any battle they fight: "throw Skavenslaves/Clanrats at thing, bombard with warcrimes". It's fun, mind you, but I'm already planning to drop the Plagueclaw Catapults and some of the poison grenadiers just so I can have some actual variety come the Skyre DLC.

Credit to Skaven magic being very good though; at least they give me some abilities to think about instead of just running over the enemy with lizards and dinos.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

I like Skaven but they also give me the same vibes of there being one solution to any battle they fight: "throw Skavenslaves/Clanrats at thing, bombard with warcrimes". It's fun, mind you, but I'm already planning to drop the Plagueclaw Catapults and some of the poison grenadiers just so I can have some actual variety come the Skyre DLC.
Yeah, I'm a little bummed that so far my best Skaven army is Queek leading three plagueclaw and three warp lightning cannon around. Queek at least lets me bring some Stormvermin around I guess, but I've only needed to use them in siege assaults or when I'm fighting a Dwarftide stack of Ironbreakers and enough gyrocopters that I needed to turn my cannons on them once they wandered too close to the Engineer. My stacks of 2+2 artillery and a smattering of globerats or warpfire throwers are a lot more fun, even if they are a lot less effective. I can't decide if I want artillery toned down or globerats/warpfire especially buffed a bit, because they're a bit more interesting to me.

The AI just can't handle massed, effective, artillery right now. For one, a few Gutter Runners dancing around on the sides will generally make the AI split up and chase instead of just rushing my artillery-heavy emplacement and overwhelming it.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the AI has never been good at dealing with artillery, it's why dwarfs were so often recommended for beginners in the first game

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
At least, that much artillery. 4 batteries will cause bad dodging if half of them are high arc shooters, 6 will straight up cripple the AI into submission.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ze Pollack posted:

seriously, thought I'd be playing more as the lizards but they are genuinely boring

at least when the elves go up against someone with armor you have to start thinking about the melee game, lizardmen are point saurus at enemy line, point dinosaur at enemy archers, laugh

Same. Dinosaurs riding Dinosaurs seems cool as hell in theory but its just so straightfoward and plain in practice. You can just charge ahead and crush nearly everything and can grind down the rest. Theres no finesse or technique to it.

I find Im playing exclusively elves in 2. Strong but with distinct roles and weaknesses and lots of different tools to play around with.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Second time today I've had a pack delete itself because I closed Tweak but didn't check the task manager to make sure the process had stopped completely before opening pfm.

If what I was doing was actually working I'd be really annoyed.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

What can be done to make Lizards more fun? Is it fundamentally linked to their Saurus heavy infantry dominating?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Get Tehenhauin in, Skink supremacy like how Skarsnik made Goblins awesome.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I would be so down for this. Add in the salamander and razordon artillery teams, along with the option of a troglodon mount for skink heroes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Honestly Lizards are pretty fun to play, they have a lot of great tools people don't seem to utilize much because their basic Saurus and big Dinos are strong as hell. Chameleon Skinks are some of the best skirmishing units in the game and really reward micro, for instance. Ditto their Terradon riders. Kroxigors are also really good and criminally underused currently.

Also they have fun artillery with the Solar Engine and Ancient Stegodon, some really cool support units in the healing crystal Bastilodon and Skink Chiefs...

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

What can be done to make Lizards more fun? Is it fundamentally linked to their Saurus heavy infantry dominating?
Basically. I still like my earlier Mazda game where I used almost exclusively skinks until I unlocked Temple Guard. It was a lot of fun, even if not as effective, and I'm very much looking forward to a Skink-centered DLC LL. They're more fun that Dwarfs, I suppose, but when your faction strength is basically mega-heavy infantry backed by decent auxillaries and with good cav-analogues, there's not much you have to do to interact with your opponent besides point your units at the appropriate point and charge. Dwarfs are worse because they don't even have to do that, they just sit in a pillbox and let everything play itself out.

What if they ditched shielded Saurus spears, or maybe shielded saurus warriors altogether? Then TG might be more worthwhile to bring and your T1 infantry units would be more vulnerable to ranged units, giving you more reason to bring skink auxillaries to screen the line and gently caress with their ranged units? Though with two different factions being ranged-heavy already, that might be a bit much. Also, its already irritating how ranged vet/bonuses tend to be more powerful than melee ones, and I do like melee-centric armies. Its just boring when your main line is durable, slow, and decently effective against everything because then you really have no reason not to lean on that near-exclusively. Lizards can be fun, its just that that's not necessarily optimal.

The Lizardmen remind me of Rome in some ways. I didn't play RTW very much since I basically skipped from MTW1:VI to TWWH, how did they make them fun/what were they weak against?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hell, Saurus and Skink units are referred to as "cohorts" so you're not that far off.

I really do think it's because the Saurus Swarm and Dino Pals army composition is just overwhelmingly strong compared to using a mixed force that's more complicated to use, at least against the AI. It shows in how an AI will always seek to engage your melee core with theirs, even if you'll absolutely crush them; on the other hand, AI skirmishers will be hell to fight against if you don't have Javelin Terradons or Chameleon Skinks paired with Cold One cavalry. Unfortunately, the only armies that can really muster the level of annoying, long-ranged skirmish bullshit that can hard counter mass lizards is Wood Elves; everyone else has to settle with short-ranged shooters, high damage optional.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Is the patch beta any good?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If you go 100% saurus your gonna have a really bad time against darkelves or highelves as half of your infantry go rampage after a archer in skirmish mode and the other half gets flanked by cavalry and shot in the back.

Was at the point when I lost my entire stack besides mazdamundi and a couple units that I decided to go with temple guards and some cavalry if I ever headed north again.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Along with a bunch of regular TW2 tournament players, I have been invited to a Discord server for "pro" rules discussion aimed at creating a multiplayer league which will turn TW2 into an eSports (don't forget the capital S).

Every single pro player the Dicord admins invited are mocking the idea that a game like TW2 could ever be an esport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mukip posted:

Every single pro player the Dicord admins invited are mocking the idea that a game like TW2 could ever be an esport.

Good, esports are garbage.