Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Verso Books 50% off paperbacks.
Haymarket Books 50% off too.
bye bye money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mechafunkzilla posted:

"The holidays" was never even a thing in my atheist, nominally Jewish household growing up. I've had few partners get mad at me after they got me a Christmas present and I got them nothing because holiday gift-giving isn't something I ever think about. Which also means my holiday season is incredibly relaxing since I don't have to worry about doing any Christmas shopping.

Hell yes, I see the pressure that xmas puts in people, especially parents, and the financial strain to pay for things which are socially expected, and am very grateful that we Jews don't have to participate in that. There is such massive pressure to spend a lot of money, which a lot of people don't have.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
lol the Infinity War trailer looks so bad

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

X-Ray Pecs posted:

lol the Infinity War trailer looks so bad

I thought Civil War was teething pains but the Bros. Russo have either regressed from Winter Soldier or this is like a storyboard problem.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I thought Civil War was teething pains but the Bros. Russo have either regressed from Winter Soldier or this is like a storyboard problem.

I’m just astounded at how bad the lighting is, like they don’t actually want me to pay attention to their superheroes, it looks worse than Revenge of the Sith.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

well personally I like not being able to see anything on screen, makes it mysterious

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Thanks for the anime opinions y’all. I’m not sure I need another shonen in my life when Jojo exists though.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
YouTube of the day: happy 10th birthday to the most important video on the internet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiARsQSlzDc

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I’m just astounded at how bad the lighting is, like they don’t actually want me to pay attention to their superheroes, it looks worse than Revenge of the Sith.

The Quake 3 fullbright skin lighting is what the people want.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mechafunkzilla posted:

"The holidays" was never even a thing in my atheist, nominally Jewish household growing up. I've had few partners get mad at me after they got me a Christmas present and I got them nothing because holiday gift-giving isn't something I ever think about. Which also means my holiday season is incredibly relaxing since I don't have to worry about doing any Christmas shopping.

I had a similar experience (although instead of Jewish, it was a particular Christian sect strongly against "pagan holidays") up until the point my parents divorced, and each parent used Christmas as a way to compete with each other.

I've come to like Christmas shopping for the most part, but hate all the pageantry that comes with it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Coffee And Pie posted:

YouTube of the day: happy 10th birthday to the most important video on the internet

Hell yes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

As I recall, the one part of Civil War that everyone talks about (the airport fight) was ghost-directed by someone else (one of the effects guys, I think).

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

are Civil War and all those movies fun to watch at all?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Civil War is loving painful. Doctor Strange is funny just because Cumberbatch's accent is beyond terrible.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Yeah. Civil War is a solid C+ and has some decent action set pieces, like the fight scene mentioned. I think Guardians of the Galaxy is more fun than any of the new Star Wars and Thor Ragnarok is a solid action comedy. The less the movies have to do with the Main Franchise of the MCU, the better they are.

But I also see them in theaters and rarely re-watch them outside of Guardians and Ragnarok.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Civil War is loving painful. Doctor Strange is funny just because Cumberbatch's accent is beyond terrible.

It's literally Cumberbatch playing Doctor House, the Superhero.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Civil War was okay but like most of them way too long.

Thor 3 was better but still too long.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Guardians of the Galaxy and Iron Man are the only ones I’ve seen that I’d actually consider good, with Iron Man being the only one to go out of your way for. Avengers and Iron Man 2 loving suck, Captain America: The First Avenger is good until it shits the bed by abandoning character in favorite of dumb action, Thor and Winter Soldier are just completely whatever nothings of movies.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Civil War was okay but like most of them way too long.

I think the only thing I really appreciated about Civil War was them bringing William Hurt back as Thunderbolt Ross; it was nice to see them not ignoring The Incredible Hulk for once.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The Captains America are good, which is why it sucked that we got another Avengers movie instead of a proper third one.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
These are the ones I enjoy, loosely ranked from best to worst.

Thor: Ragnarok
Guardians of the Galaxy
Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2
Thor
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Captain America: Civil War
The Avengers
Iron Man 3

It's not a strict ranking, but overall I like all those movies because I think they are fun to watch. I'm one of the few goons who'll go to bat for The Avengers. My favorite ones are the ones that funny, so Ragnarok and Guardians are at the top. I really like Thor because it's a very straightfoward and low-stakes movie compared to all the rest. Winter Soldier is fine, but really pulls its punches short of actually making any actual political commentary, which really weakens it for me. Civil War has a couple of really great scenes. Iron Man 3 has some great sequences but also some really boring/don't care ones.

There are other films that were okay on a first viewing, like Spiderman: Homecoming and Dr Strange, but they are also so completely paint-by-numbers that they don't leave much lasting impression.

I absolutly hated Ant Man, and would rank it even lower than like, Age of Ultron.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I fund most of the Marvel movies pretty fun. Of the ones I've seen I've only really disliked the original Thor and Iron Man 2 and even those ate watchable.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Ant Man is actively terrible, made worse by the fact that Edgar Wright could have made it amazing.

A lot of my friends really enjoy almost everything Marvel's done. I think Defenders is the only one that they all agree is terrible. They got pretty pissed the last time I was the bad guy and told them how The Avengers is such a shallow movie made obsolete by pretty much every Marvel movie made since.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Franchescanado posted:

A lot of my friends really enjoy almost everything Marvel's done. I think Defenders is the only one that they all agree is terrible.

You have friends who go to bat for Iron Fist?

You, uh, may want to examine your life choices.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

Ant Man is actively terrible, made worse by the fact that Edgar Wright could have made it amazing.

A lot of my friends really enjoy almost everything Marvel's done. I think Defenders is the only one that they all agree is terrible. They got pretty pissed the last time I was the bad guy and told them how The Avengers is such a shallow movie made obsolete by pretty much every Marvel movie made since.

I'm glad to hear someone else say this, because when it came out, Ant Man's reception by goons was very positive.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Verso Books 50% off paperbacks.
Haymarket Books 50% off too.
bye bye money
I have about $200 worth of ebooks sitting in my cart right now and I'm dreading the task of cutting that down to the 10 or so I really want. Still haven't gotten through the 30 books I picked up during their July sale.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

You have friends who go to bat for Iron Fist?

You, uh, may want to examine your life choices.

Oops, sorry. They hate Iron Fist and like Defenders. My bad.

I can't make it through 4 episodes of a Marvel show without losing interest.

Snak posted:

I'm glad to hear someone else say this, because when it came out, Ant Man's reception by goons was very positive.

It's just really sloppy obvious writing with shoehorned motivations that are just dumb.

Ant Man: I can't make the ants do stuff.
Person: Just remember you have a daughter.
Ant Man: Oh poo poo, I do have a daughter. I can make ants do stuff now.

Ant Man: I can't climb that leaf
Person: You have a daughter
Ant Man: I can climb that leaf.

Ant Man: No way I'm getting out of--
Person: Daughter
Ant Man: GOT IT

Ant Man: I can't
Person: Dau--
Ant Man: Done

Also, the comedic sidekick was dumb (and I like Michael Pena) and unfunny and annoying. The action was lame. Just solidly mediocre.

The last act where he goes into the trippy microverse was visually cool, but I was also high as gently caress off dabs, so that still not saying much.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also the whole Michael Douglas is gonna be mad I'm getting with his daughter stuff was all like... copy pasted from some bad script from the 90s.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm convinced my opinion of Defenders would be higher if they managed to get to the end without feeling the need to assure the audience Daredevil wasn't dead. As a last moment in the series it just left a sour taste in my mouth because of how completely unnecessary it was on multiple levels

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I watch most of my films at home because it's a hassle to arrange and pay for a babysitter to go out to the cinema when I get sent a lot of screeners, but I applied for and was given two seats to the motherfucking PHANTOM THREAD next Wednesday. (It's the new film from PTA, and I am so excited).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Thor Ragnarok is the most fun I've had at one of those movies, mostly because it felt like a semi-adaptation of a scene from Hitchhiker's Guide.

Coffee And Pie posted:

omg

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I enjoyed everything about The Defenders that did not include the character the Iron Fist or any elements from the series Iron Fist

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

therattle posted:

I watch most of my films at home because it's a hassle to arrange and pay for a babysitter to go out to the cinema when I get sent a lot of screeners, but I applied for and was given two seats to the motherfucking PHANTOM THREAD next Wednesday. (It's the new film from PTA, and I am so excited).

The new film from PTA, and Daniel Day-Lewis' final performance. I'm envious.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

loving awesome. I love PTA and can't wait for this film.

I also wish I got screeners. :sigh:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

GonSmithe posted:

A girl I went to college with and was pretty good friends with apparently got hit by a truck this morning and died.

I found this out by seeing a Facebook post that seemed like she was leaving a job or something, then reading the rest of her wall.

gently caress. 25 years old.

poo poo, I'm sorry man. It wasn't the girl on a bike who got hit yesterday in Philly, was it?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I enjoyed everything about The Defenders that did not include the character the Iron Fist or any elements from the series Iron Fist

I knew it was gonna be garbage when they killed off Marko Zaror in the first few minutes after barely giving him a half-assed little fight scene in a poorly lit tunnel.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
In general in Defenders the build up to all the characters coming together was better than anything that happened after, which is a problem

It was also pretty funny that the plot just sort of took all the side characters from all the series and stuck them in a room together so they could fret about the main characters together.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Baron von Eevl posted:

poo poo, I'm sorry man. It wasn't the girl on a bike who got hit yesterday in Philly, was it?

It was

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes. Very much so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to watch Barbarella(1968) due to its cultural significance, but god it's almost unwatchable.

I was not surprised to learn that it was directed by a drunk person. And it feels like it wasn't edited at all.

• Locked thread