Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I think the saddest part of the Flyers for me is that Couterier FINALLY started scoring like we all knew he could.

Yeah he's been phenomenal offensively this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/BroadStHockey/status/935708213839876096

10-9-8-76ers

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

no

that is not real

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/BroadStHockey/status/935709139065503744

I want to type something funny but I'm honestly so disappointed I'm at a loss for words

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:tif:

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
N: Flyers bad

V: Islanders good?

I’d love to know the last time the Islanders were 5th in the league standings.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/flyersfansindc/status/935703899767439361

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I’ll keep watching the Flyers this season, but at this point I’m already ready to call it. gently caress it. Go Preds and Blues.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

https://twitter.com/theflintor/status/935701066049470464

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Hilarious

Reverend Sub-Zero
Jan 11, 2008

Filladelfia Pliers

Duckman2008 posted:

I’ll keep watching the Flyers this season, but at this point I’m already ready to call it. gently caress it. Go Preds and Blues.

Go Preds Go.

gently caress it, Go Bolts too.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I feel as if someone here should buy this jersey
http://www.gamewornauctions.net/products/2004_05_Vincent_Lecavalier_Ak_Bars_Kazan_Game_Worn_Jersey-12821-272.html

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Reverend Sub-Zero posted:

News: NHL head coach and intelligent person Dave Hakstol benched rookie Danick Martel and put Dale Weise out for an extended shift with the net empty and down two goals.

That would be intelligent and cool hockey man coach.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Is that someone an Avs fan?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
stupid rangers

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Happy 100 wins Torts! :hfive:

Cam Atkinson's shootout goal was ridiculous, too.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

kill me now posted:

They're 38-19-6 since Doug weight took over as head coach and currently have the highest scoring offense in the league

Definitely riding a shooting percentage that is unsustainable right now, but they generate a ton of really good opportunities too. They've also had some of the worst goaltending in the league so far so it'll be interesting to see which outlier stat corrects itself first.

No matter what happens they're really fun to watch and that's all I can ask for as a winter sports fan who also roots for the giants

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
the oilers did it

they managed to not lose to the 31st placed team playing their backup goalie, even if it took them until ot to do it

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS

iospace posted:

Is that someone an Avs fan?

Unfortunately Christmas is coming up so the budget is a little tight.

I also may or may not have already bought two game useds during Meigray's early Black Friday.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Get me players who won't play lifeless at home

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Good soup! posted:

no

that is not real

Xer0Signal: Being a Philadelphia native myself, I have to ask, what was it about Philadelphia that inspired you so negatively?

David Lynch: It didn't inspire me negatively. It inspired me negatively and positively. Philadelphia calls itself the city of brotherly love and when a city behaves that way with that name, the city has a problem.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
NHL December N/V: the city has a problem.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Not game worn but I have that jersey.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Good stuff from Charlie, RE: Hextall/Hak

quote:

First, to be clear: Hextall was never going to rip his team or his coach to the media last night. I did think it was possible that he might express more concern regarding the team's effort vs. the Sharks, but instead, he doubled down on the “we're doing good things, just not getting results” mantra that has surrounded this club for the past two weeks. If Hextall isn't ready to make a major move at the moment, holding to the company line publicly was really his only option. That's the primary takeaway here for me: Hextall isn't ready to make a coaching change, or shake up the roster dramatically … at least not yet.

I understand his trepidation. Firing a head coach is a major move, as would be the alternative of shipping out members of the core of the team. Considering the strength of Hextall's prior belief that both coach and team are good enough to compete this year (a belief that he stated last night that he still holds), it should take a great deal of evidence to upend that prior belief. Hextall isn't wrong that the Flyers probably deserved a better fate multiple times during the eight-game losing streak; in fact, his logic of “If you took the score away from the last nine games I’ve seen and told me we’re 0-9, I’d be like ‘come on,'” is almost certainly backed up by the same numbers that I use regularly in these columns. Being patient at the moment is a justifiable thing to do, considering the uncertainty surrounding what would come next after a firing or a major trade.

But while Hextall seemed to publicly discount the relative importance of this particular game when it came to how he viewed his club, I worry it could be the start of the next phase of struggles, when the process declines to match the already-poor results. Still, I understand giving the team more time to prove that this showing was a fluke, the result of it being the second night of a back-to-back against a tough, frustrating foe. The players had a closed-door meeting after last night's loss, and now they'll have three days to rest up and get their bearings prior to the next contest. Hextall wants to see if his coach and the team can solve this themselves.

To be blunt, time is not really of the essence in this situation, as it would be if the Flyers were a Cup contender and the season needed to be salvaged as quickly as possible. Yes, waiting an extra couple weeks before making a big move has the downside of potentially ending any playoff hopes, but this team was unlikely to make noise there anyway. I understand why Hextall wants to be absolutely sure he has no other choice before making a move that concerns the direction of the franchise for years to come. However, if Saturday's game resembles this one in terms of underlying results, and that becomes the trend, the general manager would be wrong to ignore the truth.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
All this "Fire Hakstol" talk reminded me of the early 2000's when the NFL banned the sales of Ron Mexico custom jerseys. The NHL has not done so yet with 09 Fire Hakstol jerseys.
"Fire Hakstol" is, conveniently, the 12 character limit for custom names on jerseys.

Back on my team: Any team with any speed makes them look embarrassingly slow. Also you have good fans out there in Nashville.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I thought the Flyers have actually looked pretty good in the games I've seen recently (all during the losing streak, which I was unaware of) so it was weird to find out they've lost 9 in a row or whatever.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I thought the Flyers have actually looked pretty good in the games I've seen recently (all during the losing streak, which I was unaware of) so it was weird to find out they've lost 9 in a row or whatever.

Yeah the losing streak is a bit more complex than "well they were total rear end for 9 games". The offense has been fantastic (especially from the top line) and Elliott has been a lot more steady in goal. Biggest problem in the streak was discipline and an abysmal PK. The blue line is just absurdly young and inexperienced too, especially when Gudas is suspeded and AMac (who actually hasn't been half bad this year) was injured.

Last night was basically a perfect storm of frustration, fatigue from the 2nd half of a back-to-back while playing a rested team, and specifically having to play the Sharks, who are phenomenal in shot suppression.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

Yeah the losing streak is a bit more complex than "well they were total rear end for 9 games". The offense has been fantastic (especially from the top line) and Elliott has been a lot more steady in goal. Biggest problem in the streak was discipline and an abysmal PK. The blue line is just absurdly young and inexperienced too, especially when Gudas is suspeded and AMac (who actually hasn't been half bad this year) was injured.

Last night was basically a perfect storm of frustration, fatigue from the 2nd half of a back-to-back while playing a rested team, and specifically having to play the Sharks, who are phenomenal in shot suppression.

This is what we get for being so mad about “why won’t Hextall play the kids?” Last season and then excited coming into this season of “yes! They’re playing the kids! Surely that will make us contenders from day one since they are the future core of the Flyers D!”

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

This is what we get for being so mad about “why won’t Hextall play the kids?” Last season and then excited coming into this season of “yes! They’re playing the kids! Surely that will make us contenders from day one since they are the future core of the Flyers D!”

Hextall addressed that a bit last night.

quote:

Sprinkled within Hextall's postgame defense of his team, he made some illuminating comments regarding the treatment of Samuel Morin this season. Hextall's words were specifically in reference to why Morin was sent back down last week, but they can easily be read as an explanation for his usage all season long, starting with the decision to send down Morin soon after the end of the preseason.

“Well, when I looked the other night we had a 20-[year-old], a 21-[year-old], two 22-[year-olds] and a 24-year-old defenseman, that’s five of our six. That might be the youngest defense I’ve ever seen. And to say right now we need to get younger on defense, I'm not sure that’s a solution. I think we missed [MacDonald], he’s an older guy, he’s a glue guy, he’s a guy that makes the younger guys feel better. Radko Gudas is the same, the veteran presence I can’t explain to you guys, but it makes a huge difference. So just to patch six kids in there and say “Go get 'em guys,” you’re looking for a disaster. You’re not helping those kids.”

He's not wrong in this, especially at the end there. Yeah the "vets/glue guys" thing is a little silly but to toss a ton of rookies into the deep end isn't going to help matters either. The couple times they've had to run rookie/rookie pairings were just a complete mess and they got eaten alive.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
With d-men particularly, goalies hate having inexperienced d-men in front of them because the goalie's never confident of where the guy is going to be or which action he'll take next on a given play. Hextall would of course be particularly sensitive to this

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Holy poo poo I haven't been paying attention to them this year but what is going on with Anaheim?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ron is also exceedingly patient and I think he's watched a lot of teams ruin prospects by not giving them time to develop and get up to speed with the NHL game. Even with a pretty drat sure thing like Nolan Patrick, (before he got hotbrained) they were sheltering the gently caress out of him.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Holy poo poo I haven't been paying attention to them this year but what is going on with Anaheim?

Eaves, Kesler, Getzlaf and Kase are all dead.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

kill me now posted:

they were like, first for a little while the first season they had leddy and boychuk and nelson started the season on fire

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

Ron is also exceedingly patient and I think he's watched a lot of teams ruin prospects by not giving them time to develop and get up to speed with the NHL game. Even with a pretty drat sure thing like Nolan Patrick, (before he got hotbrained) they were sheltering the gently caress out of him.

Given all the drama with a team like the Oilers and how they treated their prospects, honestly I’m ok with it. If the team blows this year, whelp, if it results in a better team later great.

Still curious how much Hakstol is helping vs hurting.

Also, still is infuriating watching in the moment.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Given all the drama with a team like the Oilers and how they treated their prospects, honestly I’m ok with it. If the team blows this year, whelp, if it results in a better team later great.

Still curious how much Hakstol is helping vs hurting.

Also, still is infuriating watching in the moment.

Yeah, Hextall's smart enough to know that if Hak has to go, so be it. The hiring of Knoblauch seemed to be a warning sign to Hak as well.

Still, to Hak's credit, the team is doing a lot better at getting rid of the low-to-high poo poo they pulled so often last year, the power play looks great, and I think he's pretty well realized that Elliott is the #1. There's still issues with him, to be sure, and I tend to doubt he survives the year, but I'm gonna give this a chance to play out.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Mike_V posted:

That looks like automatic line selection from NHL 14 when you’re only carrying 11 forwards. LOL that Vermette still can’t crack the top 6.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

its cool that vermette and hanzal instantly went from 1a/1b on the coyotes to 3/4 elsewhere

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Right winger Korbinian Holzer. I forgot he was even in the NHL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I've got this Dallas stars hockey club. Would anyone like to trade for a competent one? No offer too low. Edmonton, buffalo, and Arizona need not apply.

• Locked thread