Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Reiterpallasch posted:

you probably shouldn't click your staples if only to avoid massive wrist fatigue, but the gcd in this game is slow enough that plenty of highly skilled players click their ogcds with zero impact on their play

It blows my mind that people are able to do that because I could certainly never but hey, if it works for you, stick with it imo :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Truga posted:

No, but some crazy people like to pull fairy skills to their hotbars rather than just use the pet bar. :v:

it's because SCH doesn't have enough buttons already and needs more

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I don't seem to have that issue. My main modifier keys are caps and alt, and well, between 123456 and aqwrgbv that's 39 possible hotkeys, and shift+keys I use for out of combat crap since it's kinda awkward hitting shift + movement + some of my hotkeys.

I have the pet bar things on caps+zxcvb, you just need place, return and the 3 skills anyway.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ainsley McTree posted:

It blows my mind that people are able to do that because I could certainly never but hey, if it works for you, stick with it imo :shrug:

I don't find myself doing it on PLD near as much because it isn't really necessary, but when I was cranking out top DPS as dragoon in HW I streamed for a friend and he said I clicked like a starcraft player trying to keep his APM up. At the time I didn't notice it but I was really flying all over the place constantly tweaking camera while clicking buttons.

But yeah I couldn't play this game at all with just hotkeys. I don't think I could get going near as fast as I personally do with the mouse.

I'm also just using a lovely insignia mouse/kb combo from best buy that costs like $15 and playing on an imac from 2012 booted into win7, so I'm definitely not the norm.

But the point is, you don't need anything fancy at all to play at top level this game. It is stupid easy to play on old and garbage equipment. I wouldn't know what to do with an MMO mouse or keyboard.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Truga posted:

No, but some crazy people like to pull fairy skills to their hotbars rather than just use the pet bar. :v:

I know you all are talking about KB+M, but for the record the pet crossbar sucks in every possible way.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Darth Walrus posted:

What’s that track with the chorus that blares away at the end of level 60 dungeons? I never knew throwing down with the Oxford Literacy Oel could be quite so epic.

It was supposed to be Nidhogg's boss theme, but it got replaced at the last second and moved to 3.4+ boss themes.

The result is a track that is a little too epic to be playing on fights with things like "Lava Scorpion"

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love
I initially played with controller but even with all the expanded cross bars, I was running out of space for skills on MNK and SAM (and forget trying to heal). I moved to keyboard and mouse a month ago, and I use 1-5 and ERF and ALT+ those keys for my main skills (eg my normal SAM attacks are 1-4, Alt 1-3 for Keiten and 3rd step moves, ERF for AOE, and DPS on 1-3 for A, 4 for Essential Dignity, ST, Alt+1-4 for Cards, ERF and alt for various heals and Esuna) and tend to mouse target over targeting with the F keys. Anything else I tend to click as it's normally a special need (eg self heals, aggro drop, limit break, stance change, etc). I'm pretty happy with it. I wish I could use CTRL and SHIFT for more space, but my tiny hands make those harder to reach reliabily and still be able to use WSAD to move about. Though for heals I may look into mouse-over macros since I use mouse to target half the time.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
80 buttons wasn't enough for you to play MNK with a controller?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

you probably shouldn't click your staples if only to avoid massive wrist fatigue, but the gcd in this game is slow enough that plenty of highly skilled players click their ogcds with zero impact on their play

as a tank player at some point I got into the habit of clicking my defensive CDs and unless i need to pop a bunch at once it still just feels better cause i can keep my left hand running the combo/oGCD motions

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On the subject of finding room for keybinds:

I'd be really interested to see what could be done to reduce the number of keybinds required for each job without reducing the (meaningful) complexity of playing it. One of my least favorite things about traditional MMOs with a lot of skills per class is finding comfortable keybinds for everything I need. I have a really hard time for that because I'm pretty picky, and if I have to use more than two modifier keys I get very annoyed.

Obviously jobs like RDM are really easy targets (have Impact replace Jolt II when it procs, put the melee combo on one button, that kind of thing--doesn't really change how you play at all, just saves you keybinds), just like any job with a lot of procs, but I wonder about healers and tanks especially. A lot of their complexity comes from situational actions and probably couldn't be consolidated without removing some of the interest of playing them.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Honestly since the skill consolidation I haven't had much trouble fitting any of my jobs even on crossbars, I barely use double-tap bars and only for stuff that's like "once a fight if that" like Protect, Rescue, Sustain, Summon, Aetherial Manip, Between the Lines, Potions or Apocata.

So long as they don't shy away from making new max level rotations invalidate parts of older ones we should be alright. I don't play any melee DPS though, maybe it's harder there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MechaX posted:

It was supposed to be Nidhogg's boss theme, but it got replaced at the last second and moved to 3.4+ boss themes.

The result is a track that is a little too epic to be playing on fights with things like "Lava Scorpion"

That said, that fight has enough raw material for the music to really elevate it. With standard boss music, you’d be fighting a big burny arachnid with persistent AOEs. With Revenge Twofold, you’re doing battle with a vast, hideous spirit of fire as it tries to wake the mighty, ancient volcano it’s nested in and drown you beneath the searing blood of the earth. Entering your Dreadwyrm Trance as the chorus ramps up, the lava creeps towards you, and you prepare to land the finishing blow before your tank burns to death (again) is quite an experience.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

Phone posted:

Not without messing up and getting on the wrong bar. I didn't want to do hot bar switching cause speed, so I used the main cross bar and the L2-R2 and R2-L2 cross bars for various combat stuff, and the double tap L2/R2 for out of combat stuff like teleport, mount, etc.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Phone posted:

How do you controller users use the left part of the crossbar anyway? That thumb is pretty much reserved for movement, no?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

MechaX posted:

Lava Scorpion's cooler than Nidhogg imo

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

MechaX posted:

Revenge Twofold improves any battle. :colbert:

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

Truga posted:

How do you controller users use the left part of the crossbar anyway? That thumb is pretty much reserved for movement, no?

I put skills that required less movement over there (cool down skills, heals, situational stuff, AOEs). All my positional/active stuff was on the buttons.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think I was off in my math... 48 buttons? 32 that don't require a double tap.

Math.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Truga posted:

The way crossbar works is holding a modifier (usually a trigger) and then using the 8 face buttons (d pad on the left, shapes on the right).

I think most controller players put main rotation GCDs on the right side of the pad, off cycle GCDs and AOEs on the left side, and then oGCDs and stances behind their favorite extended crossbar trigger.

I don't like the way that the controller target selects, but then again I don't like the way it tab selects either with kb+m.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

Phone posted:

I think I was off in my math... 48 buttons? 32 that don't require a double tap.

Math.

40 with double tap. Those only bring up a half bar, not a full 8. It's a good number, but then you need to take in to account accurately putting in the activation trigger to the other crossbars during a battle (I put less important skills on L2->R2 as I normally used the R2 crossbar so pulling up that bar was more natural than the other). It's doable, but depends on what skills you have and need during a fight. Also, take my words with a grain of salt cause I'm not a super awesome MMO player, just good enough to generally not die once I know content.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wish I could get used to playing with a controller. It honestly seems easier to me than my usual keybind setup (1-6, shift+1-6, ctrl+1-6, and a smattering of keys like Q, E, R, F, C, Z, X, V, and a few others), but for some reason I just can't make it work for me. I think I'm so used to buttons on a controller being for specific actions in an action game or something that using modifiers to change them just feels completely foreign to me. And I really can't seem to figure out targeting on a controller, either.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I guess I just play differently since there's zero skills I want to use/queue while not moving, despite mostly playing casters. Like, even just normal broil spam is often interrupted by small amounts of movement in between, due to how you can move around a bit while still casting in this game.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm glad they didn't stick with the pre-launch plans of locus being bismark and metal for ravana. I'm sure the lyrics were different at that point for them.

The HW soundtrack is pretty good all around. Also nidhogg's music owns.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Bremma posted:

40 with double tap. Those only bring up a half bar, not a full 8. It's a good number, but then you need to take in to account accurately putting in the activation trigger to the other crossbars during a battle (I put less important skills on L2->R2 as I normally used the R2 crossbar so pulling up that bar was more natural than the other). It's doable, but depends on what skills you have and need during a fight. Also, take my words with a grain of salt cause I'm not a super awesome MMO player, just good enough to generally not die once I know content.

My math using a DS4, I think all of the possible cross bar combos are L2, R2, L2+L2, R2+R2, L2+R2, R2+L2; 8 buttons per modifier = 48.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Truga posted:

Steam Controller.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I think the only reservations I have toward clicking in FF with its glacial GCD is that I double weave regularly and I can't click things if I'm constantly rotating my camera around like a crazy person as I do.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

nuru posted:

I think the only reservations I have toward clicking in FF with its glacial GCD is that I double weave regularly and I can't click things if I'm constantly rotating my camera around like a crazy person as I do.

I double weave and still flip my camera around a lot. It's very easy to do.

Also use legacy controls if you're not already.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I used to click a few things until a certain someone in my static made fun of me for it. Now I only click rez.

I'd really like to see some button bloat looked at with regards to AST and cards. We have Draw, Undraw, Royal Road, Undraw Royal Road, Spread, Undraw Spread, Redraw, Minor Arcana, and Sleeve Draw. Nine buttons (or six, if you just right click off buffs) all bent around trying to get Balance. Like how PvE melee could lose a lot of buttons by following their PvP counterparts, I think PvE AST could probably do with borrowing some ideas from its PvP counterpart. Really, how some bloat was looked at and some was not has been a bit of a lopsided affair.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Revenge Twofold improves any battle. :colbert:

I'm still mad that it cuts out after the beam battle in DS and is replaced with the boring Diabolos song.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

BrightWing posted:

I'm still mad that it cuts out after the beam battle in DS and is replaced with the boring Diabolos song.

A lovely fight deserves a lovely song.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

ruta posted:

I used to click a few things until a certain someone in my static made fun of me for it. Now I only click rez.

I'd really like to see some button bloat looked at with regards to AST and cards. We have Draw, Undraw, Royal Road, Undraw Royal Road, Spread, Undraw Spread, Redraw, Minor Arcana, and Sleeve Draw. Nine buttons (or six, if you just right click off buffs) all bent around trying to get Balance. Like how PvE melee could lose a lot of buttons by following their PvP counterparts, I think PvE AST could probably do with borrowing some ideas from its PvP counterpart. Really, how some bloat was looked at and some was not has been a bit of a lopsided affair.

DRG, WAR, SAM, MNK maybe?, all could do with those PvP style changing abilities to cut down on button bloat.

Also I'm almost 60 on my MCH and I want to know who the hell decided that the 3 shot rotation should be a goddamn coin toss as to whether it even bothers to proc the next shot beyond an excuse to keep ammunition relevant.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

A lovely fight deserves a lovely song.

Is that the fight where everyone who isn't a healer can just stand around picking their noses and you'll still win, because he loses like 20,000 health a second? I had a Diabolos Hollow where every single living person had -50% damage and everyone just gave up and stopped raising people in one of the alliances, and we still cleared after like 10 minutes of him very slowly wilting away.

Also, I found the rarest item in the game, the mythical Skallic Bottoms of Healing. Just a hundred more runs and the matching shoes might drop!

re: AST button bloat, the only Undrawn I usually keep on my bars is Empty Road, the rest seem redundant at 50, and especially at 66 when you have Minor Arcana.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 29, 2017

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Is that the fight where everyone who isn't a healer can just stand around picking their noses and you'll still win, because he loses like 20,000 health a second? I had a Diabolos Hollow where every single living person had -50% damage and everyone just gave up and stopped raising people in one of the alliances, and we still cleared after like 10 minutes of him very slowly wilting away.

Yeah, it's the fight where he's invincible for the first quarter of the fight, and then either wipes the alliance or kills himself.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I would have thought the most relevant undraw was for Spread. Maybe you only use Sleeve Draw when you've got something in Spread, but you should be using it if you have over ~15 seconds left on Draw's cooldown. I'm going to remove a held Spire before a Royal Road effect of any kind.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah, it's the fight where he's invincible for the first quarter of the fight, and then either wipes the alliance or kills himself.

He's not invincible. It's a big stoneskin. If people would actually dps it makes it go so much faster.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

He's not invincible. It's a big stoneskin. If people would actually dps it makes it go so much faster.

It's a big stoneskin that makes him autocrit every attack. Please DPS it down.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ruta posted:

I would have thought the most relevant undraw was for Spread. Maybe you only use Sleeve Draw when you've got something in Spread, but you should be using it if you have over ~15 seconds left on Draw's cooldown. I'm going to remove a held Spire before a Royal Road effect of any kind.

I've said for years that if you hit Royal Road with nothing drawn and a card in Spread, it should move the card from Spread to Royal Road.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Invincible enemies don't usually display damage numbers. Please attack the boss.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It's loving eight, nine, ten weeks into 3.1, and there are still people standing in the middle of the room when Rofocale does his phase transition attack, and complaining when they get hosed by it.

Do you *really* think anyone who doesn't already DPS down the stoneskin is going to start now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I've said for years that if you hit Royal Road with nothing drawn and a card in Spread, it should move the card from Spread to Royal Road.

I would like this for Minor Arcana as well.