Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I just bought an oculus on the Amazon cyber Monday sale so I am coming back to this game that, despite my best attempts to hate, I cannot put down.

I’m pretty tech savvy about settings and poo poo like that but also brand new to VR. Any crucial settings or things I need to know for oculus to make it work well? Maybe a link to a guide if anyone knows a quality one for set up?

Or maybe I’m lucky and it just sort of “works” out of the box?

It will generally work out of the box, but a few tips from a tech-dummy that has worked some stuff out:

*The game usually recognizes that you are playing in VR, but make sure that you check the settings just in case.
*If you are new to VR, make sure you have a quick-key to reset your focus. You will occasionally be looking in the wrong direction at the worst time, but more often you will just find yourself in your chest or behind your head when starting the game and need to change it.
*Download EDProfiler to quickly change settings on the fly if you ever plan on switching from flatscreen to VR. It also has a lot of other little tools, like changing the UI colors.
*Speaking of UI colors, the Oculus has crazy god rays. You will get used to it, but darker, bluer colors will help mitigate that, so you may want to change your colors in that direction.
*To get the best graphical settings, make sure you play around with both the supersampling and HMD, both of which can be done in game. If you have a less-than-stellar GPU, up the HMD setting just a touch and down the supersampling. The idea is that they -basically- do the same thing, but at different percentages- so you can end up with them averaging at a 15% increase in quality instead of just the standard 50% increase that only supersampling will give you (along with the extra tax on your system). Rule of thumb- fiddle with the sliders until you are happy.
*Supposedly running the game from the Oculus launcher instead of Steam will give you a few extra FPS, but this is unconfirmed. Only bother trying this if you are unhappy with frame rate.
*Having a HOTAS is a huge immersion jump in VR. I can look down at my hand and see it move the joystick. It's unreal. Then you can give yourself tits.
*Once you have a VR set and HOTAS, you'll be begging for more and more immersion. The step after that is a transducer so you can feel boosting and firing and explosions. It's insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I just bought an oculus on the Amazon cyber Monday sale so I am coming back to this game that, despite my best attempts to hate, I cannot put down.

I’m pretty tech savvy about settings and poo poo like that but also brand new to VR. Any crucial settings or things I need to know for oculus to make it work well? Maybe a link to a guide if anyone knows a quality one for set up?

Or maybe I’m lucky and it just sort of “works” out of the box?

It worked out of the box back when I ran it on the DK2.

And yeah, if you have a HOTAS setup + VR it's one of the most immersive experiences you will ever have. I kinda regret selling both and trying to play this on a Poker II Keyboard TBQH.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Turn down shadows, ambient occlusion, and depth of field. The first 2 aren't really needed in vr and really slow it down. DoF isn't needed because in vr everything already has depth so you don't need to fake it. Performance will go way up and you can turn other settings up. Also use fxaa instead of msaa

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I hesitated on the sales and wish I would've just gone ahead and gotten a Vive. I've wanted one primarily just for E:D and flight sims. Lots going on at the moment so I figured I shouldn't spend the money or time, but might if there's a sale again towards Christmas.

E:D works nice with triple monitors, but the fish eye distortion and not having great head tracking results are annoying. I was messing with this setup but the throttles aren't good for this, so I grabbed a Thrustmaster TWCS that's nice (except not having much luck making a good center indicator for full range use). I'm still messing around with FOV settings and now trying out 68 which gives a nicer feel.

I've been grinding engineer and FSD grade 5 stuff which got me down and not liking the game much. But now I'm heading out for the 5k ly trip and seeing some amazing sights which has made me enjoy playing once again. I can do 55ly hops in my DBx, so that's been nice.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Welp the Type-6 ship kit is tits, so last night I outfitted and engineered my seventh serious exploration vessel and took off into the void, maybe forever. Beagle ho, drat the torpedos and full sperg ahead. :rock:

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Had anybody here listened to the "We are Legion, We are Bob" audiobooks? Man, something like that in ED would be amazing.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

AzureSkys posted:

I hesitated on the sales and wish I would've just gone ahead and gotten a Vive. I've wanted one primarily just for E:D and flight sims. Lots going on at the moment so I figured I shouldn't spend the money or time, but might if there's a sale again towards Christmas.

E:D works nice with triple monitors, but the fish eye distortion and not having great head tracking results are annoying. I was messing with this setup but the throttles aren't good for this, so I grabbed a Thrustmaster TWCS that's nice (except not having much luck making a good center indicator for full range use). I'm still messing around with FOV settings and now trying out 68 which gives a nicer feel.

I've been grinding engineer and FSD grade 5 stuff which got me down and not liking the game much. But now I'm heading out for the 5k ly trip and seeing some amazing sights which has made me enjoy playing once again. I can do 55ly hops in my DBx, so that's been nice.

If you have a newish Android phone check out headtracker. I've been using it with open track and it works really well.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

AzureSkys posted:

If you live in the US I can sell you my TrackIR 5 and clip for cheap. I don't need it now that I have VR.

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

You can also use a Webcam for head tracking, there's an inexpensive app for hooking it into elite.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I've been trying facetrack noir, but struggle to get the curves and what not right. It could be my webcam and lighting but I've not found something I'm happy with. I do have a LED setup I've used in the past with freetrack, but haven't tried it out with E:D.

Mike the TV posted:

If you live in the US I can sell you my TrackIR 5 and clip for cheap. I don't need it now that I have VR.

I'll get back to you on that! Might be interested.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

GutBomb posted:

Turn down shadows, ambient occlusion, and depth of field. The first 2 aren't really needed in vr and really slow it down. DoF isn't needed because in vr everything already has depth so you don't need to fake it. Performance will go way up and you can turn other settings up. Also use fxaa instead of msaa

Why dont you need shadows in VR?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Sekenr posted:

Why dont you need shadows in VR?

Don't turn them off (not even sure you can, I think the lowest setting is low), just turn them low. The inherent blur with vr doesn't show the details you get with shadows turned all the way up and detailed shadows really sap a lot of performance, so turning them down to low won't make a visual difference and gets you a bunch of headroom to keep the frame rate up

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Elite in VR is absolutely wild and holy crap, everything is huge. My vulture felt like a tiny Yugo on a flat screen but in VR I feel like I’m driving an H2 Hummer.

I only played long enough to do a couple dogfights but it almost immediately improved my combat effectiveness other than a few moments where I was too busy looking around for the enemy instead of remembering I had a scanner/radar.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Before I slog through the OP, is the advice within still good? Any notable changes?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I got a tip-off in my inbox.

Do I need to worry about this, or can I just ignore it?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

IAmTheRad posted:

I got a tip-off in my inbox.

Do I need to worry about this, or can I just ignore it?

Depends if you want to spend ages travelling to then finding the POI for a terrible payout.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

jubjub64 posted:

Had anybody here listened to the "We are Legion, We are Bob" audiobooks? Man, something like that in ED would be amazing.

I read them instead but they own.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

jubjub64 posted:

yeah i read them, they're pretty good.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I managed to not destroy myself after doing the 5k ly trip to unlock Palin and turned in about 11 million in exploration. I went out to the Jellyfish Nebula and was surprised to find a few undiscovered systems. One had a landable planet with a ring, so that was cool to see from the surface (M35 Sector GB-W C2-0). There was another one with an Earth-like as well as lots of high metal worlds that itself was worth over 2 million.

AzureSkys fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 3, 2017

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

KakerMix posted:

I read them instead but they own.

orange juche posted:

yeah i read them, they're pretty good.

I can imagine an end-goal could be completing a Dyson sphere.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
gently caress you System Authority Vessel in Run who decided to fly in front of me when at 0% while we were attacking that Anaconda. Now the game is full of idiots in eagles who interdict me where I am not wanted and then get melted by my cobra for a 200 credits bounty.

Anyway jumping with white dwarves is fun, except for the time I ended up into the exclusion zone with sonthill relics in my cargo hold. :cripes:°

Is it even possible to escape from a white dwarf jet?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

limaCAT posted:

gently caress you System Authority Vessel in Run who decided to fly in front of me when at 0% while we were attacking that Anaconda. Now the game is full of idiots in eagles who interdict me where I am not wanted and then get melted by my cobra for a 200 credits bounty.

Anyway jumping with white dwarves is fun, except for the time I ended up into the exclusion zone with sonthill relics in my cargo hold. :cripes:°

Is it even possible to escape from a white dwarf jet?
Yeah, you can throttle down to 0 while you’re jumping and you’ll land at the star moving at only 30km/s instead of near the speed of light. Once you’ve loaded you can pivot your ship so it’s not facing the exclusion zone and then throttle up from there are resume your journey.

It’s a thing that most explorers end up doing on every jump because sometimes the star type listed on the galaxy map is present in system but isn’t the star you jump in at so you’ll sometimes get dumped on top of a neutron star.

I’m lazy and don’t throttle down unless I have to which means I sometimes have a moment of panic when I jump into a white dwarf system and then have to slam the throttle down to zero :v:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Mercurius posted:

I'm lazy and don't throttle down unless I have to which means I sometimes have a moment of panic when I jump into a white dwarf system and then have to slam the throttle down to zero :v:

And then you forget you tabbed to your other monitor and ED doesn't register inputs because it lost focus and you headbutt the star anyway :v:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Mercurius posted:

Yeah, you can throttle down to 0 while you’re jumping and you’ll land at the star moving at only 30km/s instead of near the speed of light. Once you’ve loaded you can pivot your ship so it’s not facing the exclusion zone and then throttle up from there are resume your journey.

It’s a thing that most explorers end up doing on every jump because sometimes the star type listed on the galaxy map is present in system but isn’t the star you jump in at so you’ll sometimes get dumped on top of a neutron star.

I’m lazy and don’t throttle down unless I have to which means I sometimes have a moment of panic when I jump into a white dwarf system and then have to slam the throttle down to zero :v:

Oh yes I know about throttling towards zero. What happened was during the next part when you use the white dwarf jet, as a neutron star, to supercharge your FSD.

I was pointing outwards from the star to get the charge, but the ship started bobbing, everything is under control, I have it guys don't worry, I really have it OH NO WHAT IS THE GREEN LINE DOING THERE...

Splashing in the white dwarf exclusion zone while in the jet is not a fun experience... I wonder if it's survivable if you bring a heat chaff and turn off weapons andando extras modules to keep the FSD powered up

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

limaCAT posted:

Oh yes I know about throttling towards zero. What happened was during the next part when you use the white dwarf jet, as a neutron star, to supercharge your FSD.

I was pointing outwards from the star to get the charge, but the ship started bobbing, everything is under control, I have it guys don't worry, I really have it OH NO WHAT IS THE GREEN LINE DOING THERE...

Splashing in the white dwarf exclusion zone while in the jet is not a fun experience... I wonder if it's survivable if you bring a heat chaff and turn off weapons andando extras modules to keep the FSD powered up

I've escaped it before, but you have to get out early while you still have -some- maneuverability. Once your thrusters go out, you are just waiting to die.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Daztek posted:

And then you forget you tabbed to your other monitor and ED doesn't register inputs because it lost focus and you headbutt the star anyway :v:

Autohotkey and this script is your friend :
https://gist.github.com/tke/a14df94a7bf4a7aa6e5d

Not sure if that's the exact one I'm using, but something like that will work a treat :D

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Mike the TV posted:

I've escaped it before, but you have to get out early while you still have -some- maneuverability. Once your thrusters go out, you are just waiting to die.

I've had success with boosting when your momentum and direction end up matching, but you have to wait until the FSD is fully charged and you run the risk of overheating with the boost. It's a very risk-reward scenario, but since you're dead anyways...

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

limaCAT posted:

White dwarves are very definitely not worth the bother for supercharging your FSD. Neutrons are because they boost your jump range by 200% and their ejection cones are longer/exclusion zone is smaller.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
type 10, krait and the not-pelican-from-halo when?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

yup :downs:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Q1 2018. By Frontier standards, that usually means the last week of the quarter.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I was on my way to a station to get a bigger shield and saw a Sanchez Class Science Vessel pop up on the nav panel. I hadn't seen that before so I stopped by and holy crap I did not expect to see it destroyed and a Thargoid Scout staring me down. The sound it made was terrifying. Probably old news, but it's my first encounter beyond seeing a couple crash sights.

I was testing streaming on my crappy phone connection so I recorded it. I panicked as soon as I saw the scout out of the corner of the screen, rushed away, and flubbed through external views trying to see it so I missed seeing it close up. It jumped away shortly after and I didn't see anything around the Science Vessel to look at.

I went back later in the day and there were emergency ships there, lots of cargo and materials floating around as well as escape pods and a data point to scan. Was this all scripted and I won't see that scout again, or is it random?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Mike the TV posted:

Q1 2018. By Frontier standards, that usually means the last week of the quarter.

Fiscal quarter, not literal quarter.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Guys. Guys.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/en/galnet/uid/5a296786aa348854775ff156

quote:

The Diamond Frogs, a mercenary outfit based on the lawless fringes of the Capricorni sector, has announced plans to build a new installation in the 63 G. Capricorni system.

The faction's current base of operations has become virtually uninhabitable, as its power and cooling systems being have been pushed past their limits.

In support of this goal, the faction has placed an open order for Beer, Liquor, Coffee, Legal Narcotics, Computer Components, Power Generators and Superconductors,

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

drat it. Hell of a time to be spending some time in Colonia. :(

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Crosspostin:

Space Skeleton posted:

:frogsiren: WE HAVE A CG SCHEDULED TO START TOMORROW! :frogsiren:

Our faction is building a space structure, specifically a drive-in space bar for Frogbear to base out of. It is a hauling CG to bring stuff like booze and computer parts to 63 G. Capricorni to help build and stock the place. Once the CG is over we will get a new structure to play around with in our HQ for hanging out and pvp shootytimes.

Get ready to haul your butts off and get Frogbear her own orbital bar!

EVERYONE WHO PARTICIPATES GETS THE DIAMOND FROGS DECAL INGAME

It looks something like this, colors may vary based on paint job:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Free decal? Let me hop right in

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
parked my phyton at one of the stations out there lastnight. gunna be running this on the weekend on ps4.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I've recently started playing this, and finding flying about doing courier missions and poo poo really relaxing (VR helps) can I help out, or will I just get shot at if I try and turn up?
I'm not planning on doing any combat in this game I don't think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

mehall posted:

I've recently started playing this, and finding flying about doing courier missions and poo poo really relaxing (VR helps) can I help out, or will I just get shot at if I try and turn up?
I'm not planning on doing any combat in this game I don't think

just rock a solo session goonbro and you'll be all right

• Locked thread