Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Two things really hurt it; First that there's no sense of escalation to the plot; the only time the antagonists do something proactive against you is the ambush by the three witches at the end of the Sokolov mission, which was a laughable response. Apart from that they're completely oblivious to what you're doing, as far as any actual measures are concerned. On the penultimate Mission, the Duke isn't holed up in his bunker, with maximum protection, he's had a drunken party same, as every night. Regardless of whether you've been completely stealthy up to that point, or butchered your way through Karnaca.

The second is that there's almost zero interesting new characters in D2. You had a dozen different people in the Hounds Pit, wheras the Dreadful Wale is almost completely lifeless. Delilah and Billy were already introduced in the D1 DLC, so you can't really count them as new characters. You don't get to interact with Paolo and Byrne over multiple missions in the same way you did with Granny Rags and Slackjaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

OTOH it had several of the wildest conceptual level designs ever put into a game

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Hannibal Rex posted:

Two things really hurt it; First that there's no sense of escalation to the plot; the only time the antagonists do something proactive against you is the ambush by the three witches at the end of the Sokolov mission, which was a laughable response. Apart from that they're completely oblivious to what you're doing, as far as any actual measures are concerned. On the penultimate Mission, the Duke isn't holed up in his bunker, with maximum protection, he's had a drunken party same, as every night. Regardless of whether you've been completely stealthy up to that point, or butchered your way through Karnaca.

The second is that there's almost zero interesting new characters in D2. You had a dozen different people in the Hounds Pit, wheras the Dreadful Wale is almost completely lifeless. Delilah and Billy were already introduced in the D1 DLC, so you can't really count them as new characters. You don't get to interact with Paolo and Byrne over multiple missions in the same way you did with Granny Rags and Slackjaw.

From a story point of view I was disappointed that for a game with a setting which apes the 19th Century and revolves around the overthrow of an empress, the political element of the plot was shallow to non-existent. There's occasional allusions to it, but really the defining character of the Victorian era was just as much political upheaval and mass politics as it was engines and inventions. Nobody Emily encounters even asks the question "why do we need an empress at all?", which is a bit disappointing as immersive sims have in the past at least made an attempt to deal with the political implications of their settings and themes.

Basic Chunnel posted:

OTOH it had several of the wildest conceptual level designs ever put into a game

Definitely agree with that though. I admire the confidence to let you actually skip the dust district level if you can solve the puzzle yourself, and A Crack in the Slab and the Clockwork Mansion were nothing short of excellent.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I've said it before in this thread and I will say it again: Arkane has the best level designers in the games industry. There's so much going on in the levels in Dishonored and Prey, yet it's always presented in a way that makes you feel smart for figuring it out right away instead of overwhelming you.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Picked this up last week and finished it in about 22 hours. I loved the first 3/4 of the game, but everything after Dahl just made me want to rush to the ending. I think the last hour I was just running as fast as possible between transition screens.

Has anybody figured out who the female voice that tells Alex to start over in the escape ending belongs to? Catherine Yu maybe?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

aniviron posted:

I've said it before in this thread and I will say it again: Arkane has the best level designers in the games industry. There's so much going on in the levels in Dishonored and Prey, yet it's always presented in a way that makes you feel smart for figuring it out right away instead of overwhelming you.

AIUI, Arkane scooped up some developers from LGS after it folded (and it's clear that they have a lot of love for LGS's games in general). LGS had the best level designers in their day, and I'm glad to see that tradition continuing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

AIUI, Arkane scooped up some developers from LGS after it folded (and it's clear that they have a lot of love for LGS's games in general). LGS had the best level designers in their day, and I'm glad to see that tradition continuing.

And if I recall correctly, they scooped a fair few from Ion Storm in the end years (who themselves were heavily sourced from LGS)

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i want them to do a deus ex now they've done their thief and system shock games

the actual recent deus ex games being okay but not the same

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hell, I want them to do a Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri game now if they're going through Looking Glass' ouvré. I don't think any sci-fi shooter has come close to doing what that game had going for it.

I feel LGS was the greatest loss the game industry ever suffered, and yeah, Arkane is definitely their successor.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm pretty sure that you are supposed to just sprint through the last section of the game, but it's not exactly 1/4th of the campaign. I beat the game is around 25 hours and that last part was about an hour and a half.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Sounds a bit weird to say but I almost don't want them to work on an existing franchise. They make such cool new IPs on their own, it seems a shame to waste that.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Neurosis posted:

i want them to do a deus ex now they've done their thief and system shock games

the actual recent deus ex games being okay but not the same

A game that's like Deus Ex the way Dishonored is like Thief and Prey is like System Shock is definitely the thing I want most now

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Really conflicted -- I'm about halfway through the game and running human-only on my first playthrough, but there's a part of me that feels like I'm just denying myself the fun of the Typhon powers for a pointless achievement and a future playthrough that may or may never happen.

I have little independent thought, internets. Reinforce or disabuse my notion of a human-only first playthrough!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Get typhon powers, there is virtually no reason not to

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Digirat posted:

Get typhon powers, there is virtually no reason not to

Is there any sort of hard-line as to when the turrets begin to respond to you as alien scum?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Memnaelar posted:

Is there any sort of hard-line as to when the turrets begin to respond to you as alien scum?

You'll get a warning. It varies on difficulty.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Memnaelar posted:

Really conflicted -- I'm about halfway through the game and running human-only on my first playthrough, but there's a part of me that feels like I'm just denying myself the fun of the Typhon powers for a pointless achievement and a future playthrough that may or may never happen.

I have little independent thought, internets. Reinforce or disabuse my notion of a human-only first playthrough!

Almost everything is Prey, including the narrative, is set-up for you to ask why you're doing something. So have at whatever you want.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Memnaelar posted:

That achievement is the only reason to do typhon only or human only. Blow poo poo up with your mind if you don’t care about achievements.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

3Romeo posted:

A game that's like Deus Ex the way Dishonored is like Thief and Prey is like System Shock is definitely the thing I want most now
Man, if they rebuilt the original Deus Ex in the Prey engine. Original dialogue files, everything, just running in a modern engine with lovingly resized textures.
Holy poo poo

I'm not even nostalgic for Deus Ex, I didn't play it until 2006 or something? It just owned.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Prey's engine is Cryengine, notoriously difficult to work with. I'm honestly amazed that Prey looks and runs as well as it does.

Would be better off with Unreal, especially since DX was an Unreal game to begin with, you can just use the original game BSP for your greybox.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

ZearothK posted:

Hell, I want them to do a Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri game now if they're going through Looking Glass' ouvré. I don't think any sci-fi shooter has come close to doing what that game had going for it.

It's so good. I spent an inordinate amount of time in the late 90s early 2000s trying to get it to work on a then-modern system. It's only just now that I feel like it's finally started to show its age enough to be sort of annoying to play.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Memnaelar posted:

You aren't going to play again unless you really want to. When I got to the end of the game, I made a save at the decision point so I could check them all out. When I finished one way, I thought "wow, that was cool," and then didn't even reload my save to check out the other one. Play as much of this game as you can, worry about achievement runs later, if you even do that at all. Don't deny yourself anything from this game and put it off for another play through that might not even happen.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ZearothK posted:

I feel LGS was the greatest loss the game industry ever suffered, and yeah, Arkane is definitely their successor.

SFC has a legacy of sorts in the form of Tribes, but yeah, a new singleplayer SFC game would be aces.

aniviron posted:

Sounds a bit weird to say but I almost don't want them to work on an existing franchise. They make such cool new IPs on their own, it seems a shame to waste that.

I'm pretty sure they mean Arkane should do a Deus Ex game in the same sense that Arx Fatalis, Dishonoured, and Prey were new Ultima Underworld, Thief, and System Shock games respectively.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
An Arkane take on Flight Unlimited would be a sight to see.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

RichterIX posted:

It's so good. I spent an inordinate amount of time in the late 90s early 2000s trying to get it to work on a then-modern system. It's only just now that I feel like it's finally started to show its age enough to be sort of annoying to play.

I thought the same, but I bought it on a whim on Steam during the last Summer Sale and an afternoon went by as I replayed it, it was a pretty good time. Might have just been the nostalgia, since I spent a large part of my childhood with the game, but it still worked, though its design limitations are much more obvious nowadays and, like usually happens with immersive sims, has a lot of stuff that's neat but doesn't serve a purpose, like a classic Rainbow Six level of orders for squadmates (in practice you'd only tell them to use their special abilities and maybe guard somewhere), or smoke blocking energy weapons (but the combat is too mobile and fast for that to matter), or using drones to scout (which only really matters in a few missions, but feels particularly contemporary in execution; and the explosive drones were really good). Most of the weapons being superfluous in practice, and the ridiculous amount of worldbuilding that informs gameplay (though most is hidden in the data logs of your room between missions. I actually extracted the text on a whim and there's literally 40+ pages of stuff ranging from Clan History to Hegemony Law and geological analysis of the planets the game is set in).

There was clearly a lot of passion in it, and it's a real shame that it was one of main causes for LGS closing.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm pretty sure they mean Arkane should do a Deus Ex game in the same sense that Arx Fatalis, Dishonoured, and Prey were new Ultima Underworld, Thief, and System Shock games respectively.

Yeah I realized what an idiot I was after rereading what they said, but decided to leave my stupid post up for posterity.

I would be so down for having a DX-inspired new IP from Arkane. That would absolutely rock.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

SFC has a legacy of sorts in the form of Tribes, but yeah, a new singleplayer SFC game would be aces.

Oh poo poo dude.

A new Arx Fatalis would be tits.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

aniviron posted:

I love both those games to bits, but I do think the level designs are topped by Dark Souls (1) and Bloodborne, but partly because the mechanics (ie. no save-scumming) of those games make it even more important.

Hannibal Rex posted:

But D1 was exactly what he says he wants to continue to do - a mainstream game that also works as an immersive sim.

I wonder if part of the reason immersive sims have been in decline is that they've been victims of their own success. While their commercial success has been muted, they've always been critical darlings and game designers especially take note of them. So things that used to be hallmarks of the immersive sim genre like environmental storytelling, dense level design, RPG-elements in an action game, and problems with multiple approaches rather than puzzles with one solution are now found ubiquitously in AAA games.

Recent open-world games that allow stealth especially have borrowed an awful lot from immersive sims except for the level design and looking for people's email passwords. I think combat or non-combat solutions are one of the few things left exclusive to the genre, and even then not all immersive sims offer that all the time.

hampig fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 29, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

:thunk:

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Where the hell is that?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Level 3, in the basement

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Where the hell is that?
Dishonored: Death of the Outsider.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
All the talk of Terra Nova just makes me think of this ancient trailer.

https://youtu.be/DMMX_8jHK7Q

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

ZearothK posted:

I thought the same, but I bought it on a whim on Steam during the last Summer Sale and an afternoon went by as I replayed it, it was a pretty good time. Might have just been the nostalgia, since I spent a large part of my childhood with the game, but it still worked, though its design limitations are much more obvious nowadays and, like usually happens with immersive sims, has a lot of stuff that's neat but doesn't serve a purpose, like a classic Rainbow Six level of orders for squadmates (in practice you'd only tell them to use their special abilities and maybe guard somewhere), or smoke blocking energy weapons (but the combat is too mobile and fast for that to matter), or using drones to scout (which only really matters in a few missions, but feels particularly contemporary in execution; and the explosive drones were really good). Most of the weapons being superfluous in practice, and the ridiculous amount of worldbuilding that informs gameplay (though most is hidden in the data logs of your room between missions. I actually extracted the text on a whim and there's literally 40+ pages of stuff ranging from Clan History to Hegemony Law and geological analysis of the planets the game is set in).

There was clearly a lot of passion in it, and it's a real shame that it was one of main causes for LGS closing.

I remember thinking the active drone camera in your HUD was the coolest loving thing I'd ever seen when I was 12.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Every single post in this thread that goes “its my first run and I’m using Human Only Powers!” just makes me feel like I had a better childhood than the poster because I am not afraid to try new things like alien gene therapy.

It’d be like posting in the GTA thread about how you walk everywhere, I just don’t understand why you’d limit yourself from using the most interesting tools in your set from the get go.

“Oh cool I am playing a cool game about psychic space alien magic powers! Let me just make sure I’m a regular guy with a gun and no special skills!”

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

“Oh cool I am playing a cool game about psychic space alien magic powers! Let me just make sure I’m a regular guy with a gun and no special skills!”

Being able to leap 30 feet in the air, run like lightning, slow down time to the point that you can fire off a massive shotgun into the face of an alien in less than 5 subjective seconds is not what I call "no special skills"

TBH a human only run is easier than a typhon one.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

DelphiAegis posted:

Being able to leap 30 feet in the air, run like lightning, slow down time to the point that you can fire off a massive shotgun into the face of an alien in less than 5 subjective seconds is not what I call "no special skills"

TBH a human only run is easier than a typhon one.

Sure, but compared to “I’m blowing you up with my mind and making GBS threads lightning and teleporting behind you and exploding” running fast and jumping high aren’t different enough from any other FPS to get me excited, and Combat Focus is arguably the strongest skill in the game, but it actually works by allowing you to do less instead of more. Slowing down time to perfectly line up a headshot is more of the same kind of sideways-super power instead of the full on alien arsenal.

But I’m also the kind of person that thinks a “Mostly Flesh & Steel” Dishonored run sounds painfully unfun, so maybe I just hate playing as regular people in games

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I do too, I just chose whatever looks like fun.

It's a shame going full alien / or human isn't rewarded with more powerful abilities, or unlocks.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
A Typhon-only run would be made so much less onerous if they made the scientist +psi/+psi hypo abilities count as Typhon instead, or gave Typhon equivalents/analogues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

I'd really love to see an Arkane spin on Mirror's Edge.