Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

lomzus posted:

Feige has already said that Ant Man and Wasp have bigger roles in Avengers 4.
Considering there are like 80 characters in this we will probably only see a little bit of some of them in Infinity War, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm excited for it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Codependent Poster posted:

That Wakanda battle looks loving insane.

Also probably confirms that the soul stone is there. And what are the two stones that Thanos has on the gauntlet? Space and reality?

Space and Power, meaning Xandar probably got fuckced up so he could get it off the Novas

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I just hope Thanos gets more screentime in the first half than just showing up to Xandar/Asgardians' ship/wherever and nicking gems.

e: and yeah Loki has the Tesseract, which I suppose is obvious especially after Asgard getting destroyed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Codependent Poster posted:

And what are the two stones that Thanos has on the gauntlet? Space and reality?

Blue and purple, so space and power - meaning he's taken out the Nova Corps already.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

irlZaphod posted:

I just hope Thanos gets more screentime in the first half than just showing up to Xandar/Asgardians' ship/wherever and nicking gems.

e: and yeah Loki has the Tesseract, which I suppose is obvious especially after Asgard getting destroyed.

Unless he’s been talking poo poo, Feige has commented that Thanos is pretty much the protagonist of the movie. This was a while ago so maybe things have changed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Black Panther leaks have said that Wakanda has the Soul stone and it's what fuels Panther's legit supernatural (as opposed to high-tech) powers in the movie, so makes sense that Wakanda is a major stop on Thanos' dance card.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lomzus posted:

Feige has already said that Ant Man and Wasp have bigger roles in Avengers 4.

Boooooo

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Spider-Man's new suit is god awful

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I do hope Thanos gets a lot of screentime like some of you say... One of the weaknesses of marvel movies (or comic book movies in general) has been the lack of interesting villains.

Look at how great the joker was in TDK... He elevated that entire movie. I hope Thanos, despite being a CGI monstrosity, is a lot of fun to watch

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Cythereal posted:

Blue and purple, so space and power - meaning he's taken out the Nova Corps already.

That would actually be a good setup for a Richard Rider rebuilding the Corps movie in phase 4

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Dacap posted:

That would actually be a good setup for a Richard Rider rebuilding the Corps movie in phase 4

John C. Reilly time to shine has arrived

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Zzulu posted:

I do hope Thanos gets a lot of screentime like some of you say... One of the weaknesses of marvel movies (or comic book movies in general) has been the lack of interesting villains.

Look at how great the joker was in TDK... He elevated that entire movie. I hope Thanos, despite being a CGI monstrosity, is a lot of fun to watch
Yeah... it would really feel like Steppenwolf 2.0, where he does little more than show up to steal the maguffin, beats up some people trying to stop him, then leaves again. At least Gamora and Nebula will be there to tie back to him.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
The biggest loss is that all these years they could've built him into a genuinely threatening and maybe even engaging villain but completely forgot about it so he's just the guy who sits.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

muscles like this! posted:

So according to a VFX artist who worked on Justice League they offered to pay for the effect that would add a mustache to Henry Cavill's character in the next Mission Impossible movie (and even put together some test footage to show how realistic it looked) but Paramount refused. Apparently it is much easier/more realistic to add hair than remove it.

The part that I love the most about this is that Paramount of all studios gets to tell WB, "No, he's contractually obligated to have a mustache, go gently caress yourself."

Samuringa posted:

The biggest loss is that all these years they could've built him into a genuinely threatening and maybe even engaging villain but completely forgot about it so he's just the guy who sits.

Yeah, that's Darkseid's shtick

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dacap posted:

The Marvel execs have said before that they do have the rights to Nova and are interested in using him in the future, for what it's worth.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Samuringa posted:

Have they (Feige) said that they won't be doing Thanos-like lead-ups anymore? It's been an interesting grand experiment to have nearly a decade's worth of movies leading up to this but it doesn't seem like the investment, in every sense of the word, has really been worth it and it seems foolish to bank on being able to do it all over again.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I imagine the next movies after Avengers 4 are depending on whether the Fox deal goes through. If it does I bet they use Galactus as the next major threat bridging the movies.

I'm sure they have 2 or 3 parallel plans depending on who they end up getting rights for

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They've got Skrulls (apparently) so they'll probably do Secret Invasion at some stage.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wheat Loaf posted:

They've got Skrulls (apparently) so they'll probably do Secret Invasion at some stage.

They've got Skrulls but not individual Skrull characters, and Captain Marvel will be fighting them in her movie.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That was a cool rear end trailer. I'm very curious as to how Rhodey ended up with Cap's team in Wakanda. Surely they would've sent someone that Steve might actually like. The restraint on the Guardians is an interesting choice. I want to see Nova even if hardly anyone else does. One of my dad's favorite heroes ever is Nova and that has always fascinated me.

That money shot of all 100 heroes or whatever is going to make me cry in the theater. I can already tell.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Surprised by Nick Fury intro since he's given some...less than enthusiastic interviews about not being included in Cap 3 or Black Panther.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

purple death ray posted:

Spider-Man's new suit is god awful

Yeah when I heard that we'd see him in it after Homecoming I wasn't looking forward to it. I always thought all the tech in his suit was going away after the "Clothes don't make the man" routine in Homecoming.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cythereal posted:

They've got Skrulls but not individual Skrull characters, and Captain Marvel will be fighting them in her movie.

I think cinematic universes with overarching narratives (however loose they may be) are on the way out. Most of them have failed when they've been tried in the past few years.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Comfortador posted:

Yeah when I heard that we'd see him in it after Homecoming I wasn't looking forward to it. I always thought all the tech in his suit was going away after the "Clothes don't make the man" routine in Homecoming.

He's probably just wearing it for Avengers and it isn't his full time costume.

And so far we've seen:

Cap, Wanda, and Vision vs. Proxima Midnight and Ebony Maw, where they probably take the mind stone.

Iron Man, Spidey, Wong, Strange, and Hulk vs. Thanos with at least the power and reality stones, so he's probably getting the time stone here.

The defense of Wakanda with some of the Avengers vs. Thanos' army, where the soul stone likely is.

And we know there's a point where Thanos confronts the Collector for the reality stone.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 29, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Comfortador posted:

It probably is for Spidey's own movies, but when Thanos comes knocking you take every advantage you can get.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Having Galactus eat the skrull homeworld is a start to that

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

notthegoatseguy posted:

Surprised by Nick Fury intro since he's given some...less than enthusiastic interviews about not being included in Cap 3 or Black Panther.
That soundbite was from the first Avengers film. I'm pretty sure the RDJ line was also.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think cinematic universes with overarching narratives (however loose they may be) are on the way out. Most of them have failed when they've been tried in the past few years.

Marvel's has been successful though, the other attempts have been miserable tries at copying that success. Marvel got the early head start and worked into it slowly at first until now I basically expect to see crossovers in the movies, and I love it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The MCU doesn't actually have an overarching narrative.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Which is for the better, because I can't really imagine how they could run the same narrative between Thor, Spider-Man, and Luke Cage without some hard stretches. It's better to have more recurring themes than one singular long narrative.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Marvel's has been successful though, the other attempts have been miserable tries at copying that success. Marvel got the early head start and worked into it slowly at first until now I basically expect to see crossovers in the movies, and I love it.

Aphrodite posted:

The MCU doesn't actually have an overarching narrative.

Marvel (and, curiously enough, the MonsterVerse with Godzilla and King Kong) is the only one that I think managed to avoid putting the cart before the horse. Stuff like King Arthur: Legend of the Sword and especially The Mummy were a bit too self-consciously "first in a new franchise" movies. The stuff that even a lot of people who liked BvS didn't like about the movie were bits like Batman having a nightmare about the next movie in the series or Wonder Woman watching Quicktime videos of Flash and Aquaman.

(I think the only "shared universe" I'm disappointed never came about was from 1997, when MGM mooted making a spin-off from Tomorrow Never Dies starring Michelle Yeoh as Colonel Wai Lin. That would've been pretty cool.)

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 29, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

SonicRulez posted:

That was a cool rear end trailer. I'm very curious as to how Rhodey ended up with Cap's team in Wakanda. Surely they would've sent someone that Steve might actually like. The restraint on the Guardians is an interesting choice. I want to see Nova even if hardly anyone else does. One of my dad's favorite heroes ever is Nova and that has always fascinated me.

That money shot of all 100 heroes or whatever is going to make me cry in the theater. I can already tell.

I too would like to see Richard Rider.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Comfortador posted:

He can wear a sweater to take out an old guy with a jetpack and make a statement but that line of thought goes out of the window when you gotta fight the worldbreaker giant alien from hell.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I’m not going to use my best tech against the intergalactic warlord who wants to bone the abstract concept of death (who is also a hot lady) because my real power comes from my heart.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

AngryBooch posted:

No Ant Man or Wasp either.

They’re in every shot, squint harder.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

fruit on the bottom posted:

I’m not going to use my best tech against the intergalactic warlord who wants to bone the abstract concept of death (who is also a hot lady) because my real power comes from my heart.

In my defense that's kinda Spider-man. I understand the points though. :)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Honestly if Stark hasn’t built Leopardon for Peter yet the movie is a failure.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Wheat Loaf posted:

(I think the only "shared universe" I'm disappointed never came about was from 1997, when MGM mooted making a spin-off from Tomorrow Never Dies starring Michelle Yeoh as Colonel Wai Lin. That would've been pretty cool.)

I never knew that and now disappointed it didn't happen. Would watch that in a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

fruit on the bottom posted:

How far does this go though? Like sure you want to be at your strongest for the big bads in a situation like this, but like why doesn't Stark make robot suits for the whole team then? He builds dozens of them out of apparent boredom so it's not like an iron man suit is rare or difficult to make. And if you put Thor in a robot suit he's still going to be able to pop out and do Thor poo poo if the robot suit breaks.

The answer is because having everyone in power suits is lame and boring and a big part of the appeal of superhero team ups is getting to see them work together with their unique powers and skills. People don't like Spider-Man just because his robot suit is slightly spider themed.

• Locked thread