Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have every confidence that Big Jolly Jo Palmer will return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, to the WEC or Indycar. Ha Ha Ha.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

Here is your non-personal PM: Wehrlein is a whiny little bitch that won DTM by driving rather good for couple of races, then demanding other drivers backing up to give him DRS constantly so he could become champion. AUDI sent an Audi to kill him, but failed (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsd4vjJND24&t=20s, and then fired the guy who drove that Audi). So he won, ended up in F1, and yeah....there's that.

He might not be as bad as Palmer, but I still think that a good year of Formula 3 plus a DTM championship (where basically seven drivers did everything so that he won) might be misleading.

That's my meltdown of the day

Thanks for the great contribution! 😎👍 I vaugely remembered Audi giving orders to punt someone off, didnt realise it was him though!

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I forgot on repeated occasions that Pascal was on the grid this year.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

track day bro! posted:

Official FIA ABU DABI Race Ratings

The race was garbage solely due to the new F1 logo which means F1 is dead 0/10

Official Formula 1 Season 2018 Season ratings

2 Sebastian Vettel GER Ferrari 317 - WOW WHAT A TOP SEASON FROM THE TOP GUY FOR THE BEST TEAM WHICH IS SCUDERIA FERRARI PRIDE OF ITALY, CHEATED AGAIN OUT OF A WDC BY CHEATING BRITISH SCUM 11/10

This is correct, thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7glMQroEPGo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

tuo posted:

Here is your non-personal PM: Wehrlein is a whiny little bitch that won DTM by driving rather good for couple of races, then demanding other drivers backing up to give him DRS constantly so he could become champion. AUDI sent an Audi to kill him, but failed (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsd4vjJND24&t=20s, and then fired the guy who drove that Audi). So he won, ended up in F1, and yeah....there's that.

He might not be as bad as Palmer, but I still think that a good year of Formula 3 plus a DTM championship (where basically seven drivers did everything so that he won) might be misleading.

That's my meltdown of the day

I didn't know anything actually happened in DTM op.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

track day bro! posted:

Thanks for the great contribution! 😎👍 I vaugely remembered Audi giving orders to punt someone off, didnt realise it was him though!

The thing is: when AUDI motorsport chief yelled "Timo, schieb in raus" (Timo (Scheider), push him off) into the mic, it was what most non-Mercedes fans felt watching the race. The way Mercedes drove to get Wehrlein to champion was disgusting (in this scene, Wehrlein was just given another spot from another Mercedes driver that then started to block Timo Scheider). To the point, that Ex-Mercedes-Motorsport-Chief Norbert Haug - who is a drat cool guy, super defensive when it comes to Mercedes to not come across as a hurt bitch because Wolf threw him out...he's just supercool - even started to question the motives of Mercedes. That DTM season was disgusting imo. The Audi sport chief who instructed Timo Scheider to kick Wehrlein off got a live-long probation from DTM pit-lane (allthough he appeared again this year) and of course was relieved of his position at AUDI DTM Motorsports operation.

I am a loving big BMW fan, but if some other team wins fair and square, it's all good, and I even had tears in my eyes this year applauding Rene Rast for winning the DTM for AUDI in an Audi (and I hate AUDI and Audis), but the way Wehrlein won simply wasn't impressive imo. Mercedes had an awesome car that year, a very good driver with Wehrlein, and then decided it is appropriate to make the seven other Mercedes drivers Wehrlein's bitch after about two or three races (of ten).

gently caress that poo poo!

tuo fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 29, 2017

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Either Pascal Wehrlein is actually poo poo or Marcus Ericsson is just as good and we've all sorely underestimated The Big Swede.

Wehrlein is officially off my "one for hte future" list.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I didn't know the background behind that video at all thanks for typing that up

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
My main memory of that incident was that it was the only interesting to happen in DTM for like 10 years and everyone got banned for it or something, presumably for the sin of having something actually happen in a DTM race

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Wirth1000 posted:

Either Pascal Wehrlein is actually poo poo or Marcus Ericsson is just as good and we've all sorely underestimated The Big Swede.

Wehrlein is officially off my "one for hte future" list.

Wehrlein is mighty intelligent, I'd give him that. So I guess he might be the right stuff for more complex races like WEC. Due to this, he also knows how to drive tactially, plus he appears to be a very technical and clean driver, the fight with whoever-I-don't-remember-that-race-was-so-boring-but-I-guess-it-was-a-haas showed that.

I think he got shoehorned into an F1 cockpit (and maybe a DTM championship) by Wolf (who is his manager, as well as Botas'), and I am not sure he is at the right spot in F1.

I am sure he is drat fast, very intelligent, and a very clean driver, I haven't seen an Magnussen-like poo poo from him ever.

But I won't miss him in F1, and think he would make an awesome WEC or - if he fancies those open wheels - Formula E driver.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

track day bro! posted:

23 Brendon Hartley Another good rivals pun name guy, has a long face. Possibly related to Barnacle Jim? Does he gently caress his bike? does he like to have burly men work his rear end over with dildoes? From newzealand so possibly? 7/10

I loving lost it at this. Top notch, as always.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

My main memory of that incident was that it was the only interesting to happen in DTM for like 10 years and everyone got banned for it or something, presumably for the sin of having something actually happen in a DTM race

We can’t have that now.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

tuo posted:

Wehrlein is mighty intelligent, I'd give him that. So I guess he might be the right stuff for more complex races like WEC. Due to this, he also knows how to drive tactially, plus he appears to be a very technical and clean driver, the fight with whoever-I-don't-remember-that-race-was-so-boring-but-I-guess-it-was-a-haas showed that.

I think he got shoehorned into an F1 cockpit (and maybe a DTM championship) by Wolf (who is his manager, as well as Botas'), and I am not sure he is at the right spot in F1.

I am sure he is drat fast, very intelligent, and a very clean driver, I haven't seen an Magnussen-like poo poo from him ever.

But I won't miss him in F1, and think he would make an awesome WEC or - if he fancies those open wheels - Formula E driver.

This but relevant for Hartley as well

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I don't wanna start a DTM story here (actuall am a bit sorry that DTM is non-present here....current season was awesome), but DTM is a cool and good series. It went through a lot of poo poo, and they tried many things to make the series close, which all worked (sometimes less than 0.2 seconds between pole and p20) but of course felt artificial. Racing was always good, and this year was awesome...one of the best racing seasons ever.

So if anyone is interested in hearing more about DTM, I'd write an effort post. If not, also cool.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I actually have heard DTM has been OK the last few years though apparently nobody goes to the races anymore. Also the rise of WTCC and the NASCAR xFinity/Nationwide Series mean that DTM is no longer the worst racing series on the entire planet.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I actually have heard DTM has been OK the last few years though apparently nobody goes to the races anymore. Also the rise of WTCC and the NASCAR xFinity/Nationwide Series mean that DTM is no longer the worst racing series on the entire planet.

DTM managed to improve on the attendance as well. I haven't seen so many people at Hockenheim (including last F1 race) in years than what was present at the second Hockenheim race this year. IIRC, it was a record for the DTM, but I have to check....

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like TouringCarTimes trying to sell me on the "thrilling" WTCC finale and it's in loving Losail. I wouldn't watch WTCC race at Losail at gunpoint.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
The problem with DTM is that it's a poor mans SuperGT, the cars aren't as exiting and I'd say the same for the tracks. Plus the lack of Anime cars is a real put off, it's just a shame that SuperGT is always on at like 5am in Europe so I always miss the streams.

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Bobby K may not have been a driver that set the field alight, but as it is he is great PR for the circus that is F1 at the moment.
Imagine F1 having the first disabled driver since Massa retired, will firmly cement the Williams team as a team of equality champions.

Great for F1 PR, great for Williams PR, and great for disability/serious injury to take a back seat.

tl;dr its all a publicity stunt

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Unfetered One posted:

Bobby K may not have been a driver that set the field alight, but as it is he is great PR for the circus that is F1 at the moment.
Imagine F1 having the first disabled driver since Massa retired, will firmly cement the Williams team as a team of equality champions.

Great for F1 PR, great for Williams PR, and great for disability/serious injury to take a back seat.

tl;dr its all a publicity stunt

F1 is no different than NASCAR in wanting off the track drama driving eyeballs to the TV and butts to the seat. So yeah, you're probably right.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I like TouringCarTimes trying to sell me on the "thrilling" WTCC finale and it's in loving Losail. I wouldn't watch WTCC race at Losail at gunpoint.

I think Qatar was pushing for an F1 race there. Lol.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

track day bro! posted:

The problem with DTM is that it's a poor mans SuperGT, the cars aren't as exiting and I'd say the same for the tracks. Plus the lack of Anime cars is a real put off, it's just a shame that SuperGT is always on at like 5am in Europe so I always miss the streams.

The track selection is okay, imo. Hockenheim is poo poo imo, but Norisring is always awesome, as well as Zandvort and Austria. Nürburging...yeah...hmmm....potential for a snore fest, but also had great races. Lausitzring is a drat cool track imo, with the long straight, and the very technical infield.

Moscow, yeah, can't remember, races can't start there if Putin happens to fly over the track.....

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

track day bro! posted:

Super GT working so well and DTM being poor is perplexing. I guess Super GT has a good balance of performance system.

Also Motegi, Okayama and the Thai circuit are poor.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Oh , btw, SuperGT and DTM have the same ruleset starting 2019

SuperGT cars where doing showruns in DTM this year, and DTM cars in SuperGT.

Both share many parts already, and DTM will sport the same V4 turbo engine starting 2019, so that SuperGT cars can start in DTM, and DTM cars can start in SuperGT. They already share the monocock and many other parts.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I'm not sure I used monocock correctly....

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah the DTM cars did a demo at Motegi.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's "Monocoque" but your spelling is funnier.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Human Grand Prix posted:

It's "Monocoque" but your spelling is funnier.

:ohdear:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Honda should bulldoze Motegi and start again. I don't think the oval was ever repaired and the road course stinks.

Let it be known that Honda built this facility for loving CART of all things, a series which nobody remembers.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They should just move the MotoGP Japan race to Sugo, where the Superbike race used to be.

RIP World Superbike. You were a good series and then the MotoGP promoter bought you and you died (1500quid DO NOT READ)

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I should have paid more attention to Motorcycle racing earlier. It kicks rear end.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Between about 1996 and 2000 there was a good argument for World Superbike being the best racing series in the world.

The 2007-2010 period was also quite good (and SBK 2007-2010 was definitely better than MotoGP was in that time period FWIW).

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What is the difference between the 2?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

What is the difference between the 2?

Superbikes are based on production motorcycles while MotoGP chassis are purpose-built prototypes. More or less: MotoGP = F1, Superbike = GT racing.

That's why MotoGP adopting road-bike-relevant 4-strokes hurt Superbike so much in 2002.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Zandvort rules

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Between about 1996 and 2000 there was a good argument for World Superbike being the best racing series in the world.

The 2007-2010 period was also quite good (and SBK 2007-2010 was definitely better than MotoGP was in that time period FWIW).

Spies vs Haga owned so hard

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Human Grand Prix posted:

I should have paid more attention to Motorcycle racing earlier. It kicks rear end.
Not all of it. BSB seems pretty good, races at great tracks like Brands Hatch, but I keep missing the races so I'm not sure about all of it. WSBK seems to have been pretty boring the last few years. MotoGP has been unusually good the last few years but when I started watching Lorenzo would just run away with every race unless it was wet.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

The track selection is okay, imo. Hockenheim is poo poo imo, but Norisring is always awesome, as well as Zandvort and Austria. Nürburging...yeah...hmmm....potential for a snore fest, but also had great races. Lausitzring is a drat cool track imo, with the long straight, and the very technical infield.

Moscow, yeah, can't remember, races can't start there if Putin happens to fly over the track.....

Actually I tell a lie the track selection is pretty good, also dont they come to brands sometimes. Super GT has more interesting cars though, plus they have GT300 category which is pretty drat diverse. Also Germany need to embrace Anime cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I remember a few years ago the DTM champion was sponsored by a company called FAG which I had a lol at.

• Locked thread