Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

How does a conference like reinvent not seem to have obvious water cooler stations?

re:Invent Water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
They're disrupting water.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

H110Hawk posted:

How does a conference like reinvent not seem to have obvious water cooler stations?

They’re all over The Venetian. I can’t find loving coffee for anything though.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Virigoth posted:

They’re all over The Venetian. I can’t find loving coffee for anything though.

I must be blind then. Expo hall had a lot of espresso machines, I pack Starbucks doubleshot cans though to simplify that.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

TerryLennox posted:

From a non US viewpoint, how the gently caress is this even legal? Sure, confidentiality and industry secrets and whatnot but unless you are going to pay me pension for adhering to a non-compete, how are you supposed to make a living?

You move to California where non-competes are illegal, and at-will employment is not enforceable for anything you do legally outside of work hours, you get overtime for working more than 8 hours in a day, and computer workers need to make $100k a year to be salary exempt.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

lampey posted:

You move to California where non-competes are illegal, and at-will employment is not enforceable for anything you do legally outside of work hours, you get overtime for working more than 8 hours in a day, and computer workers need to make $100k a year to be salary exempt.

But then can't afford anything because California

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Got offered the program manager position I interviewed for.

When I let my boss know he offered me basically the exact same role on the team I'm currently on.

Going to take the position on my current team because the other one kinda seemed like a scape goat position if things went wrong. Also that team is full of old guys who think that code magically writes itself if they yell loud enough.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

lampey posted:

Even in situations where non-competes are unenforceable -- New York is another state where they're successfully challenged fairly regularly -- non-solicitation agreements are separate and typically upheld a lot more consistently.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

When I let my boss know he offered me basically the exact same role on the team I'm currently on.

Going to take the position on my current team because the other one kinda seemed like a scape goat position if things went wrong. Also that team is full of old guys who think that code magically writes itself if they yell loud enough.
This was me this summer. Right on!

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I'm always iffy on taking the counter offer from an existing workplace. I feel like now they know I have one foot out the door and other offers on the table, so if I stay they're likely going to use that time to find my replacement and then just let me go.

Maybe that's just me?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TheFace posted:

I'm always iffy on taking the counter offer from an existing workplace. I feel like now they know I have one foot out the door and other offers on the table, so if I stay they're likely going to use that time to find my replacement and then just let me go.

Maybe that's just me?

I read that as an internal position.

But I agree for external offers.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

I read that as an internal position.

But I agree for external offers.

Yeah it was an internal transfer. I just need to make sure that I'm given an actual date for when my title and responsibilities will change. I wouldn't doubt if they don't want me to change until they find my replacement on the team.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
My turn to post a job listing!

quote:

We are looking for an IT Support Engineer to further strengthen our IT team

Qualifications:

Preferred BSc and experience in minimum one or a similar field as described below:

Excellent knowledge of Network optimization and Security solutions
Capable of fault analysis and problem solving on all network levels
Knowledge and experience of Network Management solutions and integration of network element managers
Be able to plan, administer, prioritize and independently perform task on a daily basis
You are a great problem solver with good communications skills with the ability to diagnose issues under various sorts of constraints and stress

Certifications within:

Fortigate NSE
ARUBA-HPE(ACSP)
Riverbed (RCSP)
Wireshark (WCNA)

Experience with the following work tasks:

Monitoring and log aggregation solutions (logstash, Elk stack)
Extensive network and security management
IT infrastructure base on VMware (ESX, VDI) and Microsoft
Used to work in a customer service environment
Fluent oral and written English language

Job description:

Participate in developing and propose improvements or changes to existing IT infrastructure
Participate in duty phone and 1st-3rd line support of marine/subsea operations as required
Monitoring, administration & maintenance On- and Offshore IT infrastructure
Some travelling must be expected
Supply and maintain company-owned client hardware
Day-to-day running of all internal systems, IT procedures, and first line support as required
Supply internal expertise as required and keep involved project members informed
Corporate if needed with relevant Departments and Project Managers

We offer:

Good working environment
Challenging and exciting work
Competitive salary, pension and insurance package

Preferred IT experience:
Fortinet, HPE, Riverbed, Network, Logstash

Am I wrong, or are they looking for one person to fill what should be at least three positions? Looks like one high-level specialized and certified network person, one experienced general sysadmin and one computer janitor.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Looks like HR wrote it. The cert requirements don't make much sense outside of maybe somebody working at a VAR and needing them for partner status. Pretty cool that they want the network guy to do 1st line support and fix laptops.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

TheFace posted:

Maybe that's just me?

I've accepted a counter a few times in my career. It's not weird after but you just need to be careful how you frame it. A little white lie of saying "my old boss/colleague reached out and offered x y money" is a pretty easy out and doesn't make it seem like you were actively trying to escape

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I just don't get why you'd want the guy servicing your underwater cables to also be doing 1st line phone support, or anything else really.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 29, 2017

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

evobatman posted:

My turn to post a job listing!

Am I wrong, or are they looking for one person to fill what should be at least three positions? Looks like one high-level specialized and certified network person, one experienced general sysadmin and one computer janitor.
Seems like a bog-standard req for a small-market or suburban consulting company. I used to see these guys all the time when I lived in rural NY.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Vulture Culture posted:

Seems like a bog-standard req for a small-market or suburban consulting company. I used to see these guys all the time when I lived in rural NY.

They have a defined tier 1-3 system though, which says the IT department is a whole team. It seems more likely that they have well defined rolls, but don't have helpdesk staff so they expect everybody else to answer calls as an aside to their normal duties.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Vulture Culture posted:

Do those usually support marine and undersea ops?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Big trashcans are standard IT issue for catching plumbing leaks in the server room right?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

redeyes posted:

Big trashcans are standard IT issue for catching plumbing leaks in the server room right?

They don't teach this at the academy just gotta learn it on the streets.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

redeyes posted:

Of course! Small trashcans require far too much administrative maintenance.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

redeyes posted:

We use recycling bins. We're earth-friendly here.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

redeyes posted:

I've been holding this one for a while, taken at a 6 billion dollar ISP:

For some reason me, the random consultant, discovered the ceiling collapsed from a rain storm. One of our 7600's had powered down due to the water. I later asked the NOC manager why they didn't catch it first and I was told "we don't do hourly walk thru's"

:wtf:

Sepist fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 29, 2017

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Actually this is more hilarious that I expected. I thought I was the only one.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 29, 2017

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

One of my favorite stories from an old job is the time the roof leaked in the middle of the night, and the oncall SA found out about it when the NOC relayed a call from EMC, who in turn was telling us that the water sensors in our Symmetrix had triggered it to phone home.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can only assume that the water sensors are in there as a service-denying tool.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Do those usually support marine and undersea ops?
Riverbed makes WAN accelerators, you're not actually working in the bottom of a river

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Vulture Culture posted:

Riverbed makes WAN accelerators, you're not actually working in the bottom of a river

The Job Posting posted:

Participate in duty phone and 1st-3rd line support of marine/subsea operations as required

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Minimum Requirements:
Fusion Splicer
Submersible Operator's License

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

redeyes posted:

Would never work in our server room closet, the 7 standing Walmart fans pointed at the racks for "extra cooling" take up too much space.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

tortilla_chip posted:

Minimum Requirements:
Fusion Splicer
Submersible Operator's License

May I call you directly, sire?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
All right, I'm not sure if this is the proper place to ask, but here goes:

I'm currently in the process of digitizing decades old archives for a small company of about 5 employees. I've looked into possible solutions and feel that having an onsite backup of the files on drives (SSD? HD? I've yet to dig into that question) and an offsite on a cloud would provide the best longevity for the data and allow the company to properly dispose of the paperwork, knowing they can print back the stuff if need be. The primary reason for digitizing is to free up space first, and have readily accessible files on computer second (instead of having to drudge through old boxes with tons of shittily placed stuff).

Now... I've been looking a bit online about possible solutions and have of course come across the big boys platforms such as O365 and GSuite Enterprise. I'm leaning toward GSuite right now since the next step after digitizing the docs would be to have it in one central location that every employee can access. The company was planning on hiring a local tech company to do an in house server thing and have the techs come and go every few months to check up on stuff. That probably wouldn't have been a problem if the price point wasn't 10 000$.

So with that in mind: going for GSuite for a company of 5 people, to have cloud storage for the data, and being able to share said data amongst everyone seems like a good deal yes? Keep in mind here I'm talking about half way computer literate people (they know that 1000 MB is 1 GB, but don't ask them what RAM does in a computer or what the cloud is). I myself don't know much about the current cloud solutions online in the likes of GDrive, since that's the only one I've really used very sporadically. Am I on the right track or grossly mistaken?

And if this isn't the right thread, I'd love to know which one.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

CLAM DOWN posted:

May I call you directly, sire?

The job comes with a company car...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Dick Trauma posted:

The job comes with a company car...

You're not not selling me on this

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

StarMinstrel posted:

All right, I'm not sure if this is the proper place to ask, but here goes:

I'm currently in the process of digitizing decades old archives for a small company of about 5 employees. I've looked into possible solutions and feel that having an onsite backup of the files on drives (SSD? HD? I've yet to dig into that question) and an offsite on a cloud would provide the best longevity for the data and allow the company to properly dispose of the paperwork, knowing they can print back the stuff if need be. The primary reason for digitizing is to free up space first, and have readily accessible files on computer second (instead of having to drudge through old boxes with tons of shittily placed stuff).

Now... I've been looking a bit online about possible solutions and have of course come across the big boys platforms such as O365 and GSuite Enterprise. I'm leaning toward GSuite right now since the next step after digitizing the docs would be to have it in one central location that every employee can access. The company was planning on hiring a local tech company to do an in house server thing and have the techs come and go every few months to check up on stuff. That probably wouldn't have been a problem if the price point wasn't 10 000$.

So with that in mind: going for GSuite for a company of 5 people, to have cloud storage for the data, and being able to share said data amongst everyone seems like a good deal yes? Keep in mind here I'm talking about half way computer literate people (they know that 1000 MB is 1 GB, but don't ask them what RAM does in a computer or what the cloud is). I myself don't know much about the current cloud solutions online in the likes of GDrive, since that's the only one I've really used very sporadically. Am I on the right track or grossly mistaken?

And if this isn't the right thread, I'd love to know which one.

You should research a document management system if you have a significant amount of files. For a smaller company onedrive for business/sharepoint or Google drive with an add on document management product could work, but it depends a lot on what industry you are in. Also consider how the files are being digitized. Will they have full ocr, how are they named and sorted. End users will want to search the contents

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yup need a little discovery around metadata requirements; how they need to search for and sort the files. Like if there is a cabinet with 15,000 sheets of paper all considered "contracts", then each drawer is for a particular "client", then inside each drawer they sort by "year", how do you translate that sorting digitally? Maybe they're just folders and file names and you call it a day. SharePoint or some other proper document management system could help with doing some real metadata stuff though. I am not familiar with gsuites capabilities around creating your own fields upon which you can search/filter/sort/display.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 29, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to negotiate a better contract for Cisco WebEx for 500 users, and they want to charge us 1.8cents/minute for each person PTSN calling into a toll conference, and 1.4cents/minute for people joining with VoIP. This poo poo is free with everything else I've seen (GoToMeeting, BlueJeans, Zoom), while still being cheaper per seat as well. Does anyone here have better pricing for WebEx or is it always this bad?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's Cisco.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Fair enough, was just curious if anyone pulled off anything more favorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Zoom is cool