Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I like our Boomhauer approach to finding a coach, eventually someone will say yes :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

This is going to end with Les Miles at Tennessee

:getin: I can’t wait.

Welcome to 40 Years in the Desert, Tennessee.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Dunno if anyone posted this yet

https://twitter.com/danwolken/status/935759819486703616

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Here are some names behind tossed around for the PSU OC job: http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2017/11/who_could_be_on_james_franklin.html

The most likely is upgrading Ricky Rahne to the coordinator spot, which will (should) provide some continuity in the offensive scheme, assuming Rahne is capable. Other names are current Fordham head coach Andrew Briener (Moorhead 2.0?), ASU OC Billy Napier, and Oklahoma State OC Mike Yurcich. The others on the list aren't likely.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

I'd be down with this as a Jimbo replacement.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Not sure what thread to put this in, but it seems most relevant here: versatile Penn State backup QB Tommy Stevens is rumored to be looking to transfer to UCLA to play for Chip Kelly. This would a bummer since I see him as a potential H-back type of player for next year that might play 50% of the snaps, but he'll only get one year as a starter in 2019. He can throw, run, and catch. I guess he'd have to sit out a year, but would still have two years of eligibility remaining at UCLA.

Also:

Joe Moorhead is reportedly making a run at bringing Don Brown, Michigan DC, with him to MSU.

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.

Komet posted:

Not sure what thread to put this in, but it seems most relevant here: versatile Penn State backup QB Tommy Stevens is rumored to be looking to transfer to UCLA to play for Chip Kelly. This would a bummer since I see him as a potential H-back type of player for next year that might play 50% of the snaps, but he'll only get one year as a starter in 2019. He can throw, run, and catch. I guess he'd have to sit out a year, but would still have two years of eligibility remaining at UCLA.

Also:

Joe Moorhead is reportedly making a run at bringing Don Brown, Michigan DC, with him to MSU.

Stevens redshirted already, so unless it's a grad transfer he has one year to play wherever he goes.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

General Dog posted:

I don't want him to be fired mid-season because it never accomplishes anything beyond the hastening the dismantling of your recruiting class and embarrassment for all involved parties. The program always says "now we can get a head start on the coaching search and be on the radar for all the top candidates," and then after all that they end up with Herm Edwards or something.

You heard it here first folks

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

General Dog posted:

You heard it here first folks

hmm

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I like how Clanga loses a great coach, somewhat surprisingly, and then replaces him within days with an interesting replacement.

Meanwhile, those chucklefucks up in Fayetteville have known for at least months that bert had to go and they have lined up *crickets*

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

tactlessbastard posted:

I like how Clanga loses a great coach, somewhat surprisingly, and then replaces him within days with an interesting replacement.

Meanwhile, those chucklefucks up in Fayetteville have known for at least months that bert had to go and they have lined up *crickets*

Hmm yes I agree boy am I glad my school didn’t do something stu*breaks down sobbing*

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Lane Kiffin was interviewed by Clay Travis this morning. He said that Currie give Sexton a list of coaches that he wanted to talk to, and that Currie wasn't interested in speaking him. He will never be a serious option after what happen in 2009.

Funny side note he told Saban in 2009 after the game (with the blocked field goal), "That’ll be the last time that you ever beat me”.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Komet posted:

Other names are current Fordham head coach Andrew Briener (Moorhead 2.0?)

They should definitely do this, don’t even look at what Fordham’s record was this year

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

tactlessbastard posted:

I think that firing Jeff Long was a big mistake. He had a lot of respect from other coaches/ADs and could have attracted a wider variety of potential coaches. I think it is still too early to see what Arkansas is going to do. I have no idea why people think that Gus would actually come but maybe there was a deal in the works that is now put on hold because he may well play his way into the playoffs. It just seems like magical thinking but maybe I don't have my finger on the pulse anymore. It just smacks of Sexton. There are still quite a few good candidates that I would be happy having as a head coach. At least we're not out there swinging and missing like Tennessee. Any way we go I hope that we end up with someone committed to recruiting Texas.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Sports reporters are just throwing poo poo against the wall. Yurcich seems like a pipe dream, but I'm sure we can outbid Oklahoma State. (it'll be Ricky Rahne)

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/935886435927834624

ahahahah

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao

I'd buy that if they never had any context for the suit between Leach and TTU but come the gently caress on.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Lookin' for a soldier not a pirate

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Well I'm glad they're looking for a good, morale, respectable coach...

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

wa27 posted:

Well I'm glad they're looking for a good, morale, respectable coach...

Craig James killed five hookers and received only 3.6% of the vote in the 2012 GOP primary for U.S. Senate.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

He killed 5 hookers and also Texas Tech's football program.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

tactlessbastard posted:

The money men are still holding out hope that Georgia beats Auburn, the fans turn on Gus again, and then we call him and say "Come home, Gus."

It's almost as if firing your AD before firing your coach was a bad idea.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

chaoslord posted:

The money men are still holding out hope that Georgia beats Auburn, the fans turn on Gus again, and then we call him and say "Come home, Gus."

Probably was, but what else are you going to do? I assume Long refused to fire bert and that's what got him canned.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

General Dog posted:

Lookin' for a soldier not a pirate

What's Kellen Winslow Jr. up to these days?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Hmm yes we don't want to gently caress this up

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

chaoslord posted:

Georgia better than even beats Auburn just due to injuries and fatigue, but the fans are not going to turn on him, no way.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Pretty much all the good mid major names are still out there so I feel like Arkansas can wait a week on Gus and probably be fine. Like worst case Blake Anderson is right there and the track record of Arkansas St. coaches is pretty dang good.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

Pretty much all the good mid major names are still out there so I feel like Arkansas can wait a week on Gus and probably be fine. Like worst case Blake Anderson is right there and the track record of Arkansas St. coaches is pretty dang good.

Blake Anderson could be the next coming of Saban and Arkansas can't hire him.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't know why Gus would want to go to Arkansas right now

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MourningView posted:

there's also some of the p5 talent they could scoop up

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Memphis is supposedly working out a new contract for Norvell, but could there be a Nebraska/Frost-type situation with Arkansas there?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Real Name Grover posted:

Memphis is supposedly working out a new contract for Norvell, but could there be a Nebraska/Frost-type situation with Arkansas there?

He seems to inexplicably be behind Chad Morris in the hierarchy of AAC coaches getting interviews so maybe he’ll stick around? I don’t get it. He was an awesome OC pretty much everywhere he went and then Memphis didn’t miss a beat after Fuente left and they lost the best QB in school history. You’d think he’d be the most obvious candidate in the world for an open SEC job especially one that’s, oh I dunno, in the same loving state.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If you fire your AD and coach, you're going to have a ton of coaching candidates who won't want to consider the job before an AD is named. Most ADs are going to want to choose their own guy

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Georgia better than even beats Auburn just due to injuries and fatigue, but the fans are not going to turn on him, no way.

You know that and I know that, but I'm not sure that the money men know that. Think they believe that all it'll take is a phone call and a pay raise. Like, I know there's a search firm in play now but there has basically been no news coming out, not even about coaches turning us down. They're waiting for something and if it's not Gus, I don't know what it is.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DJExile posted:

If you fire your AD and coach, you're going to have a ton of coaching candidates who won't want to consider the job before an AD is named. Most ADs are going to want to choose their own guy

Solution: make Tommy Tuberville the head coach and the AD

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I still want to know how you're supposed to get rid of a lovely coach who isn't even trying anymore when the AD inexplicably refuses to fire him.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's your solution to everything.

It's the correct one, but still.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

Yeah, it's inherently a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/footballscoop/status/935902314212274176

• Locked thread