Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
Re: The Sean Mckeever talk.

I really liked his marvel stuff and was a big fan of Gravity. But yeah the Titans stuff was a tad souring, nice to know that he wasn't 100% the driving force on some of the decisions there.

But then there was the Young Allies book he wrote at marvel (featuring Rikki Barnes Bucky, Gravity, firestorm and Aranya) where their prime antagonists were the villain group 'bastards of evil' who were the children of villains that received 0 hugs as kids.
It smacked of a smarmy 'No, see its not a swear really because that's what they really are!'

And I don't mind swearing really, but it felt like a cheap giggle for him and I'd end up rolling my eyes whenever someone said the name.

I think I have the first couple trades of Johns run of titans somewhere but I havnt gone back to them because honestly the stuff happening here in mckeevers run didnt seem that far removed from the tone that came before it. Kid flash becoming a more serious character after having his kneecap shot is the only thing that comes to mind atm but am I wrong remembering it just carried on being miserable or is it worth re-reading?

Agent_grey fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Lord posted:

Really Doomsday Clock should be about Danny Chase being the architect of all evil in the DC universe in a Scrappy Doo in the Scooby Doo movie sort of way.

I mean,

I don't know what to make of Danny Chase, because he's obviously Marv Wolfman's self-insert, but why would a writer make his self-insert so patently unlikable? Usually, these characters are disliked because the creator tries far too hard to make them cool (c.f. Drift from Transformers) but Danny Chase did nothing but complain about how lame the Teen Titans were because they worse costumes.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know what to make of Danny Chase, because he's obviously Marv Wolfman's self-insert, but why would a writer make his self-insert so patently unlikable? Usually, these characters are disliked because the creator tries far too hard to make them cool (c.f. Drift from Transformers) but Danny Chase did nothing but complain about how lame the Teen Titans were because they worse costumes.

I'd like to refer you to marv wolfman's other self-insert

I think he just ends up making them unlikable because he can't help it

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/1moreGaryFrank/status/935399449605570560

quote:

Paste: The original Watchmen scripts were phone-book thick and dense with material. You and Geoff Johns have an extensive history, but did your creative process shift at all to tackle Doomsday Clock?

Frank: Totally. The scripts are a little tighter than usual, but the planning and framework are much more complex and time consuming. The Watchmen scripts seemed to define every detail in every panel, whereas Geoff leaves a little more flexibility. Much of what you’ll see comes as a result of conversation rather than because it was there in the first run at the script. Geoff is tweaking and molding the story all the time, guiding it as it grows organically.

Figured you guys would find this bit interesting.

Also I haven't seen mentioned it but Cyborg is the first cancellation from Rebirth.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The old joke about Watchmen is Dave Gibbons purposefully ignored half the script because it was just too much detail.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The one I heard was that Moore would write these really dense, ultra-detailed scripts then end most of the panel descriptions with something like, "Or if you think something else would work better, go with that instead!"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I just saw a TV commercial for Doomsday Clock??

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Thanks to this thread I was trying to think of ways to make Cyborg interesting. I came up with "He fights a neural network that generates names for supervillains, then makes those supervillains real," and now I want to read that very badly indeed

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

vegetables posted:

Thanks to this thread I was trying to think of ways to make Cyborg interesting. I came up with "He fights a neural network that generates names for supervillains, then makes those supervillains real," and now I want to read that very badly indeed

1) Stop with the 'oh woe is me I'm a robot and not a human' angst (I'm assuming he's still doing that because that's all he's ever done).
2) Give him an upgrade that lets him shift to a more human looking form.
3) Have him realize how rad it is to have crazy robot powers.
4) Basically make him more like his Teen Titans Go character.

There. Fixed. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just make Cyborg into Kamen Rider.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wasn’t Blue Beetle the first announced cancellation of Rebirth? I thought I saw that a week or two ago.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I thought Superwoman was cancelled too

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Dexie posted:

1) Stop with the 'oh woe is me I'm a robot and not a human' angst (I'm assuming he's still doing that because that's all he's ever done).
2) Give him an upgrade that lets him shift to a more human looking form.
4) Basically make him more like his Teen Titans Go character.

They actually did half of those during that pre-rebirth Cyborg series, while also tackling the fact that in terms of people with cybernetic limbs, Cyborg... actually has it pretty great, all told.

And then Rebirth happened and they put out a new Cyborg series that makes the Blue Beetle one look like loving Citizen Kane.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
How was Trinity 2008-2009? I tried to find it online during cyber monday sale since it'd be 4.99 per volume, but it's literally impossible to get it in digital. I assume that's a bad sign. The premise sounds cool. Well, actually, I don't know the premise: I just know Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman become literal gods and find that ultra rad. But, since I'd have to get it physically, which costs more, how is it really?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Was that the Busiek series? It...wasn't great. Better than Countdown, but that's a low bar.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

vegetables posted:

I would be down for the return of Dial V for Villain.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Covok posted:

How was Trinity 2008-2009? I tried to find it online during cyber monday sale since it'd be 4.99 per volume, but it's literally impossible to get it in digital. I assume that's a bad sign. The premise sounds cool. Well, actually, I don't know the premise: I just know Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman become literal gods and find that ultra rad. But, since I'd have to get it physically, which costs more, how is it really?

As a Busiek fan I will say it wasn't one of his better books. It was a weekly and because of that things were soooooo drawn out and plodding. It took a while for things to actually pick up and it did seem to get a tad better once the reality warping stuff kicked in, but for about 10 or so issues before that you had to deal with Batman, Superman and Wonder Women investigating a trinity, just like them. "You think it's a coincidence that we are investigating a trinity and the three of us make a trinity and there are three of us just like there are three things in a trinity so there is a trinity and we might be a trinity as well". This seems to go on and on and on.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Madkal posted:

As a Busiek fan I will say it wasn't one of his better books. It was a weekly and because of that things were soooooo drawn out and plodding. It took a while for things to actually pick up and it did seem to get a tad better once the reality warping stuff kicked in, but for about 10 or so issues before that you had to deal with Batman, Superman and Wonder Women investigating a trinity, just like them. "You think it's a coincidence that we are investigating a trinity and the three of us make a trinity and there are three of us just like there are three things in a trinity so there is a trinity and we might be a trinity as well". This seems to go on and on and on.

In other words, if he did it in 6-12 issues, it might have been good. Doing it in 52 meant glacial pacing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

To be fair, he was only writing like 3/4 of a comic per week, with the rest of the pagecount being used for character bios (I think?) so it was more like a 39 issue slog.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The backup stuff with The Trans-Volitional Man, The Swashbuckler, Primat, and Sun-Chained-In-Ink was pretty fun for a while. Then it got folded into the rest of the book with that representational Tarot thing that never fully materialized.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I liked that book, but in all honesty I think I liked it in spite of itself. I seem to remember a pretty awesome Alternate History Dick Grayson, though.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
What do people like in team comics?

Because I've seen people be all over the board in regards to writers, artists, team members, and story.

What's good about them seems really hard to pin down, and more or less coast by on legacy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nofather posted:

Because I've seen people be all over the board in regards to writers, artists, team members, and story.

What's good about them seems really hard to pin down, and more or less coast by on legacy.

I think the best thing about team comics is when they allow dynamics or interactions to flourish you wouldn't get in a regular comic, especially if you highlight lesser-known heroes. My absolute gold standard for this is Blue Beetle and Booster Gold who are characters who nobody would have ever considered putting together and yet are now inseparable.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teams that are created to be teams are usually much more interesting than just smooshing your biggest sellers together and calling it a day. A good X-Men story is way more interesting to read about than most Justice League comics because a lot of writers just focus on how powerful the league is with people like Superman and Wonder Woman on it. The X-Men were created from the ground up to be a team and so very few of them can carry a comic on their own. But at the same time I have hated it every time marvel tries to put Spider-Man and Wolverine on the Avengers because it feels like they're just putting whoever sells comics on the team.

Covok
May 27, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I think the best thing about team comics is when they allow dynamics or interactions to flourish you wouldn't get in a regular comic, especially if you highlight lesser-known heroes. My absolute gold standard for this is Blue Beetle and Booster Gold who are characters who nobody would have ever considered putting together and yet are now inseparable.

Out of curiosity, what is their best run?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Covok posted:

Out of curiosity, what is their best run?

Justice League International
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_League_International

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

nofather posted:

Team books let you come up with characters that cover the flaws in other characters. So you get a good variety of stories to tell, making it hard to come up with just a formula for success.

Take the Authority. You've got a guy that dives in and out of cities like aquaman, but can't really do anything techy. The Engineer can actually put all the Wi-Fi and Tech in that city to use, but conversely She's less connected to the day-to-day human stuff than Hawksmoore or Shen.

On the other hand, F4 is more about how the characters compliment each other and builds on that. Sue humanizes Reed's singlemindedness, Storm's brashness is something Grimm can't really afford to do but it gives him a good outlet for frustrations (and is more of a Big Brother Little Brother relationship).

I think the really good team stories are the ones that surprise you a little somehow, or take a new approach to something (Runaways scratched that itch for me way back when).

Dexie posted:

Yeah, more or less. I think it's important to see Cyborg as basically a nicely packaged way to deal with the emotional toll of being an amputee/using a prosthesis in, like, the 70s.

That's a vastly different cultural, technological and mental space than now. Even in the JL movie, Vic is all "I can hear WiFi and make Jetfeet and I'm a freak with holoprojector hands" instead of "I got no arms dad, I can't feel my clothes or taste my dinner but I know the exact chemical composition of a Big Mac". The character's more of a cool guy with robot powers than a rebuilt 6 Million Dollar Man kind of dude, with the closest he comes to bodyhorror being the subplot about not being in complete control of himself.

Making him more appealing is just a matter of having him Extremis up his tech and the relationship he has to it, so that his condition isn't a burden in today's connected world.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 29, 2017

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

nofather posted:

I like when the team splits up, and you get small groups interacting while they complete separate objectives towards the larger goal.

Claremont X-Men, Morrison JLA, Hickman Avengers, Johns JSA are four great examples of teams and why we love them.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Madkal posted:

It took a while for things to actually pick up and it did seem to get a tad better once the reality warping stuff kicked in, but for about 10 or so issues before that you had to deal with Batman, Superman and Wonder Women investigating a trinity, just like them. "You think it's a coincidence that we are investigating a trinity and the three of us make a trinity and there are three of us just like there are three things in a trinity so there is a trinity and we might be a trinity as well". This seems to go on and on and on.

Compared to the Rebirth Trinity series, Busiek's is high art. It's trinities all the way down

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What is so bad about Rebirth Trinity? I really like Manapul but could it be that bad? (well apparently he's also writing it and I've always known him as an artist)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I guess this is our first real life look at the new cover branding.
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/935690985023115264

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Batman smiling is terrifying.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Batman smiling is terrifying.

Damian smiling is more terrifying

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

I guess this is our first real life look at the new cover branding.
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/935690985023115264

This is much better than the Rebirth trade dress, if a bit generic. (Still lolling that someone here called it minimalist.)

I'm wondering if the DC logo will be on all their books, and the "UNIVERSE" bit will change for different sub-brands.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Man. I guess the Batman annual lets you know how committed to the marriage Tom King is.

Edit: Actually, the ageless Batman of another world he mentions has to be our one. This Batman who gets to die of old age is off on an Elseworld :(

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 29, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Bring back the DC Bullet, IMO

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Neurosis posted:

i just read brubaker's Authority: Revolution which I enjoyed. what are the authority runs that are viewed as essential? I've read ellis' and millar's and most of the post-worldstorm stuff. i hated millar's and ellis' was... okay, but i didn't think it was great or anything. v5 was alright but wildstorm got canned and that was that.

i thought brubaker's compared favourably to ellis' - the authority are such jerks in Revolution that it's painfully clear the only reason they can be considered heroes is because their opponents are given attributes which make them cartoonishly evil. 'As if I give a what the American people think. A bigger collection of mouth-breathers would be hard to find in the entire Multiverse' - a thing Jack Hawksmoor, a nominal hero, says after forcefully taking over the United States. ellis' seemed to focus more on just doing big action stories with less of this, although it was there to some degree. millar went with these kinds of themes in the most adolescent way possible, while also making GBS threads on any significance the authority characters might have - oh the us government can just poo poo out heroes more powerful than them at a moment's notice!

also, it seems like the authority really diverged from the rest of the wildstorm u and almost takes place in its own little world, aside from v5 which brought in the high and couldn't really ignore wolrdstorm. even planetary feels more integrated with the rest of wildstorm. i don't mind that - i cannot think many of the other characters in the wildstorm who would let the authority do what it does, and that conflict would get in the way of the authority stories.

edit: extend that to 'what stormwatch is worth reading', too; i've never read any.

Stormwatch from when Ellis jumps on (I want to say it's from 'Change or Die' and on all the way to the grim finale in Wildcats v Aliens) is great, I actually enjoyed it more than The Authority. That said, some of it is referenced quite heavily in his Authority run so you'll know the score on a lot of things already.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Comic book nerds. From the realm of normal people I implore you for your assistance.

What did Superman lift?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Unsold back issues of the Death of Superman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Has Superman ever lifted an entire planet?