Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Metroixer posted:

I have been devouring this game (or has it been devouring....me?) and can't really tell how far in I am, but 2 things have been bugging me. (for reference, my most recent power up is the double jump, and I have been tasked with fighting the 3 dreamers)

- What are the rotten eggs, king idols, city crest etc. for? I thought I would have run into an NPC by now who would want something to do with any of them but have not had any luck. I feel like I am missing something obvious.

- There's a yellow, glowing orb that shows up when I pull out at least two of the area maps I have. Does this mean I have collected everything in that area?

really great game and wish I didn't sleep on it for so long. Has quickly risen up my favs for this year and probably all time and still feels like I have so much left to do.

1) An NPC is Dirtmouth will summon your shade for one rancid egg. It's the lady in the locked cave on the far right.
2) My best guess is that's your Dreamgate if you've found it. Can you take a screenshot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I found the White Palace. :stonk: :suicide:

Metroixer posted:

- What are the rotten eggs, king idols, city crest etc. for? I thought I would have run into an NPC by now who would want something to do with any of them but have not had any luck. I feel like I am missing something obvious.

For King Idols specifically: It's high level vendor trash. The NPC that buys these items off you is in the City of Tears. There is no other reason for this entire class of items, except for some lore when you do sell it off, or as a quick geo boost.

The exact location is: To the right of the fountain, there's a tiny elevator up. On the right side of the wall is darkness, just walk in and the buyer will be there.

Also, I'm pretty sure you've already used your City Crest. If I got my unfinished single playthrough routing right, you must use it to enter the City of Tears, which leads to the Ancient Basin where you get Double Jump.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 29, 2017

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

OzFactor posted:

I have bought everything there is to buy... is there anything I can do with all this Geo? I already got the vessel fragment from the fountain.

Also I'm assuming I'm going to have to do one of these dream boss refights, right? I'm sitting at 1200 essence and I'm not sure there are any warrior dreams left.

You'll want to do one of the refights anyways. They are a good bridge in difficulty from the rest of the game and the final areas/content where the difficulty suddenly skyrockets. So it'll be decent practice.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Artelier posted:

I found the White Palace. :stonk: :suicide:

:allears:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

How did people find the new dlc content when it first came out? I would not have guessed the Grimm Troupe starting where it does. Did the devs inform everyone or do they just let people search/datamine?

Looking forward to the other content the developers are brewing.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

so uh

just how long is the white palace

whirr whirr whirr whirr whirr

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Artelier posted:

so uh

just how long is the white palace

whirr whirr whirr whirr whirr

it took me like 30-40 minutes to finally beat it.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks! Not sure I can handle that much whirr whirr in one sitting.

Taking a break after I cleared left and right rooms. I assume middle up top room is harder right? Hoping there's not too much more of this.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Artelier posted:

Thanks! Not sure I can handle that much whirr whirr in one sitting.

Taking a break after I cleared left and right rooms. I assume middle up top room is harder right? Hoping there's not too much more of this.

There's plenty to come, if I'm reading your post right. You may want to look up a good charm combination for getting through it if you start dying a lot.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Beat the White Palace. The third act was somehow tougher but took me much less time, I think I "got" what kind of challenges it was throwing at me.

Is there anything I missed in the final room? After the item dropped I picked it up and was kicked out of White Palace straight away. I didn't check the right side of the room, nor did I sit on the throne.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
White palace: There are secret rooms with easter eggs and some mysterious stuff that gives you a little more information about the king (nothing major though). If you are only after items then you can leave after you get the kingsoul and not look back.

There is also a hidden wall that blocks a "challenge" mode in there called the Path of Pain. Though only go in there if you want to suffer. There's no reward other than a small cut scene and it's easily 10 times as brutal as the regular white palace. Definitely check out a youtube of it at some point though.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Nov 29, 2017

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

A recent update also made it so you can enter the White Palace again after you get kicked out.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Mindblast posted:

How did people find the new dlc content when it first came out? I would not have guessed the Grimm Troupe starting where it does. Did the devs inform everyone or do they just let people search/datamine?

Looking forward to the other content the developers are brewing.

I talked to the Elder Bug and he said Bretta had left town venturing out toward the cliffs. So i checked it out and my Video Game Instincts found the breakable wall

Dancer
May 23, 2011

JuniperCake posted:

White palace: There are secret rooms with easter eggs and some mysterious stuff that gives you a little more information about the king (nothing major though). If you are only after items then you can leave after you get the kingsoul and not look back.

There is also a hidden wall that blocks a "challenge" mode in there called the Path of Pain. Though only go in there if you want to suffer. There's no reward other than a small cut scene and it's easily 10 times as brutal as the regular white palace. Definitely check out a youtube of it at some point though.

Note: if you do look it up on youtube, and you decide you want to try it yourself, make sure you don't watch all the way. Stop the video somewhere around 3/4. There's a nice surprise at the very end.

Oh, and another thing. While Path of Pain is a lot harder than regular WP, it has
infinite soul sources basically everywhere, so you'll be able to heal up all the time between obstacles.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I just used the honey charm for the white palace. And ~30 years of Mario practice

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

JuniperCake posted:

You'll want to do one of the refights anyways. They are a good bridge in difficulty from the rest of the game and the final areas/content where the difficulty suddenly skyrockets. So it'll be decent practice.

Are any of them easier than the others? The only one I tried was the False Knight and I died in four seconds. Are they all going to be like this, where healing is just not going to happen?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Soul Tyrant is probably the easiest. There's one distinct attack (orbiting orbs) where healing is consistently possible.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

OzFactor posted:

Are any of them easier than the others? The only one I tried was the False Knight and I died in four seconds. Are they all going to be like this, where healing is just not going to happen?

I dont know exactly how many (and which) upgrades you got, but as long got the shadow/evasion upgrade for your dash and your nail near/at max level it should all be doable through charm choice and keeping at it.

The false knight is a solid example. He appears insurmountable at first but that's just appearances. I personally found Soul Tyrant harder. Lost Kin can be minced almost entirely through charms.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think I found regular White Palace more frustrating than Path of Pain solely because of that drat spear hallway.

Ambivalent posted:

I talked to the Elder Bug and he said Bretta had left town venturing out toward the cliffs. So i checked it out and my Video Game Instincts found the breakable wall

...huh, I'd heard about that happening but I wasn't sure why it never did to me. That reminds me how something this game can be absolutely fantastic about is subtly edging the player in the right direction. I saw someone mention how, because Cornifer always leaves Sacred Rest before you can get to him, the player's forced to go to Iselda's shop to buy the map, which ensures that the player sees the new soul-related pins for sale. That's just brilliant.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I feel like I've sort of set myself up for failure in that I've gotten through a lot of bosses with being heavily reliant on Quick Focus and finding the right healing windows. I think I'm way better at platforming challenges than combat, though I'm sure the White Palace will humble me enough. Does the Dashmaster charm make the Shadow Cloak recovery faster? Does Sharp Shade (or whatever it's called that makes the void dash damage enemies)?

Two NPC questions:

Zote: I saved him the second time after going through the first tier of the Colosseum; will he be at the end of the second tier, or do I need to fight the first one again?

Cloth: Is it possible to beat the Traitor Lord without her dying, or was that scripted? I was off in the corner healing when they both died so I think it might have been scripted but I don't know.

And finally, a philosophical question about the Dream Nail: I'm not sure how I feel about eating ghosts. The warrior ghosts seem to welcome it, and for the most part the Dreamers seem to support me killing them. But, like, Cloth? All the ghosts in the graveyard in the Resting Grounds? I am not sure what I'm supposed to be believing about the bug afterlife. Cloth talked about meeting Nola... am I sending her to the afterlife, or removing her from it? This game, man...

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Got all the endings. Woohoo. What a ride. I'm not sure what happened, but the finale was pretty cathartic anyway.

Now to mop up the remaining optional bosses and get all the charms. I'm missing quite a few I think..

Also False Champion is hard af.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

OzFactor posted:

And finally, a philosophical question about the Dream Nail: I'm not sure how I feel about eating ghosts. The warrior ghosts seem to welcome it, and for the most part the Dreamers seem to support me killing them. But, like, Cloth? All the ghosts in the graveyard in the Resting Grounds? I am not sure what I'm supposed to be believing about the bug afterlife. Cloth talked about meeting Nola... am I sending her to the afterlife, or removing her from it? This game, man...

It's a little unclear whether you're fighting their actual souls or just a lingering "dream" of them. It's also possible those are both in the same, though! The way I like to see it, they'd be trapped in their haunted spot for eternity without your interference, stuck in limbo. By nailing them you're releasing them from their mediocre immortality to the uncertainty of an actual afterlife. It's sorta a classic moral quandary.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Has anyone tried running the Path of Pain multiple times?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pigbuster posted:

I think I found regular White Palace more frustrating than Path of Pain solely because of that drat spear hallway.

...huh, I'd heard about that happening but I wasn't sure why it never did to me. That reminds me how something this game can be absolutely fantastic about is subtly edging the player in the right direction. I saw someone mention how, because Cornifer always leaves Sacred Rest before you can get to him, the player's forced to go to Iselda's shop to buy the map, which ensures that the player sees the new soul-related pins for sale. That's just brilliant.

Bretta only leaves if you've defeated Grey Prince Zote enough to turn her statue gold and disillusion her about him. It also gives a new chapter of her fanfiction diary.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

OzFactor posted:

Pretty much. There are still windows to heal in a lot of these fights but they tend to be tiny and since most attacks do 2 damage messing up the heal leaves you far worse off than you were before. So the main focus in the hardest fights becomes not taking damage.

For false champion I ended up just dashing under him for almost all of his jumps and that seemed to work pretty well so long as he doesn't get backed into a corner.

The vessel refight is probably the easiest with the right charm combinations. Defender's Crest will take care of his ghost buddies for you if I remember right.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Failed Champion is definitely the hardest of the base game's dream refights unless you use the special cheese tactic.

Do not read this unless you want to ruin a fun boss fight. Quickslash, Fragile Strength, Joni's Blessing and as much blue health as you can cram on your charm bar. Don't bother with dodging or anything, just dps race him.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

For the refights, so far I found Soul Tyrant to be by far the easiest. It's more or less the same exact thing, just a tad faster and the attacks are slightly bigger. Any healing times or breaks that applied to the first fight is still applicable. Easy-ish 300 Essence.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

SirSamVimes posted:

Failed Champion is definitely the hardest of the base game's dream refights unless you use the special cheese tactic.

Do not read this unless you want to ruin a fun boss fight. Quickslash, Fragile Strength, Joni's Blessing and as much blue health as you can cram on your charm bar. Don't bother with dodging or anything, just dps race him.

This is what I did

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Woke up and wrecked False Champ, in the same way spoilered. I didn't actually read the spoiler until after though, I just thought, if I'm going to get damaged anyway...

Only Dream Boss left is the Defender, and then onto the DLC. I've activated the Troupe, but do I have to just wander the entire map or is there some sort of indicator of where I'm supposed to go with the charm they give?

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008

OzFactor posted:

Zote: I saved him the second time after going through the first tier of the Colosseum; will he be at the end of the second tier, or do I need to fight the first one again?

You'll have to refight the first one, though I think more Zote content makes it worth it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Artelier posted:

Woke up and wrecked False Champ, in the same way spoilered. I didn't actually read the spoiler until after though, I just thought, if I'm going to get damaged anyway...

Only Dream Boss left is the Defender, and then onto the DLC. I've activated the Troupe, but do I have to just wander the entire map or is there some sort of indicator of where I'm supposed to go with the charm they give?

Put the Relic on and it'll be on the map.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Artelier posted:

Equip the charm, it'll show you the way.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Bum-rushing the Vessel refight and Zote were enough to get me to 1800, so I went straight to the White Palace. It was fun! The Watcher Knights, though, them I cannot kill. I think the farthest I ever even got was three of them (and yes I dropped the chandelier). Any charm combo tips?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

OzFactor posted:

Bum-rushing the Vessel refight and Zote were enough to get me to 1800, so I went straight to the White Palace. It was fun! The Watcher Knights, though, them I cannot kill. I think the farthest I ever even got was three of them (and yes I dropped the chandelier). Any charm combo tips?

The Knights are mostly a battle of attrition, so the most important thing is figuring out how to heal safely. When you're hurt and they're separated, stay close to one to encourage the other to roll over to them. Then, back off out of sword range to coax both of them to roll at you simultaneously. Jump and dash into the corner they left and slam the heal. They often give you more time than you might expect, though sometimes one is a jerk and launches at you from across the room anyway.

As far as charms go, quick Heal is very nice, and Shape of Uun gives you a bit of mobility to avoid the bouncing attack. A charm to help give you soul might be nice too, to ensure you have enough to heal off all the damage. Use whatever combat ones you like; Longnail makes it easier to bounce on their heads which is what I relied on the most. I imagine spells are pretty good but I mostly reserved my soul for healing.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

OzFactor posted:

I struggled for a while treating it like a battle of attrition, since there's just so many hitpoints to get through and such limited time to heal. The strategy that finally worked for me was treating it like a dps race using Quick Focus, Soulcatcher, Stalwart Shell and Spore Shroom. Dodge the knights, wait until they're both on the same side of the room then slash away until you've got enough Soul to hit them both with Descending Dark, taking advantage of its extensive i-frames. Like Pigbuster said, if they're not on the same side of the room try and group them together. As soon as one knight is down take advantage of the break to chain a few heals together, and try to avoid healing while there's 2 knights up unless you absolutely have to. Your mileage may vary, but I found this easier than trying to outlast them by waiting for the perfect alignment of moves to heal in.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
There's a cool cheesy thing you can do to make that fight a little bit easier. Don't read if you wanna do it 100% honest

You can climb up above the ceiling right before the Watcher Knight room and drop the chandelier to crush one of the knights before it reanimates to reduce the amount of knights you have to fight by 1

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
idk if it's The Big Platforming challenge in this game but I just finished the secret area in White Palace and that final fight they throw at the very end of the sequence where you can't really have any time to heal yourself is something else. I was one hit away from death and almost had to start over.... but ended up pulling through, definitely a top moment for me. I think calling it a Meat Boy-like sequence may be a bit much but it was definitely tough.

edit: and good

Metroixer fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 1, 2017

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

canoshiz posted:

There's a cool cheesy thing you can do to make that fight a little bit easier. Don't read if you wanna do it 100% honest

You can climb up above the ceiling right before the Watcher Knight room and drop the chandelier to crush one of the knights before it reanimates to reduce the amount of knights you have to fight by 1

They already knew, as they mentioned it. And I can't see it as cheese when the dev adds it in like that.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
What do I need to pass the weird black shadowy barriers that I see everywhere? At this point I have gotten the bad ending just for the sake of it and cleared the white palace. I would have figured at this point I would have just stumbled into whatever upgrade/thing I needed. The only places I haven't been to (that I know of) are The Hive and wherever the Coliseum/challenge of fools is, I only know of those since I see people talking about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Have you been deep down, down further than the White Palace, through the door that seals away the oldest parts of the world