Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Word floating of a compromise being put out to split policing powers from justice to create a home affairs ministry and Fitzgerald giving a formal apology (though how she apologises when Leo and her both insist she did nothing wrong is an interesting question...)

Well that was before the new selection of documents was released.

https://twitter.com/SarahBardon/status/935223159397212162?s=17

hoho

edit: and to reiterate she ain't quitting

https://twitter.com/FitzgeraldFrncs/status/935264358682292226?s=17

Can martin settle for letting this go without a scalp? If not an election at least a heave could be in the cards

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Jesus she's really loving doubling down. Surely knowingly falsely accusing McCabe of being a pedo constitutes interference in the O'Higgins Commission?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Less than 12 hours until crunch time and all the major outlets are reporting that FG TDs and ministers are reportedly livid with Fitzgerald after yesterday's releases - tide may have turned against her now.

Will Leo go for an 11th hour walk back?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The annoying thing is that I don't think either Leo or Martin can back down without appearing weak to their respective Party. Leo maybe has an opportunity with yesterday's releases, and the opinion turning against Fitzgerald. At this point, the best course of action is for her to resign. She can still maintain that she has done nothing wrong (even though she clearly has), but that she's resigning "in the best interests of the Government/country" or whatever spin her office wants to put on it.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

The annoying thing is that I don't think either Leo or Martin can back down without appearing weak to their respective Party. Leo maybe has an opportunity with yesterday's releases, and the opinion turning against Fitzgerald. At this point, the best course of action is for her to resign. She can still maintain that she has done nothing wrong (even though she clearly has), but that she's resigning "in the best interests of the Government/country" or whatever spin her office wants to put on it.

Yeah I think yesterday has made a walk back even more difficult for Martin than it already was, Leo had placed himself in a position that he can't turf her out - the new emails would give him an excuse to reverse but knowing how much Leo values optics hell probably stick to his line.

Only option really is to force Fitzgerald to step aside voluntarily pending the outcome of the tribunal...

Excuse me after typing that I started to have violent flashbacks about boilers.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/935444744104300544

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Nov 28, 2017

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
When's the no confidence motion getting voted on today?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/935421654297202688

I have no love for FG so I'm not particularly upset by this, but I don't understand the stubbornness of either the Taoiseach or the Tánaiste. Leo should just tell her that he's going to throw her under the bus for the good of the party. That's politics. Maybe it won't look good for him, but neither is losing an election because of this. This is literally going to be the #1 issue on peoples minds.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Entropy238 posted:

When's the no confidence motion getting voted on today?

FF are tabling their no confidence motion during their allotted private members time at 8pm - if theirs no movement by then the outcome is a foregone conclusion

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Mentioned this yesterday, but PLOT TWIST

https://twitter.com/FrankGreaney/status/935465923112325120

(How long has this case has been going on? Is it related to the 32nd Dáil? I'm pretty sure those recommendations are from earlier this year).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/rte/status/935480262082916353

e: She's due to make a statement at 2pm apparently.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 28, 2017

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Well, that's a relief, a pre-xmas election would have been shite both for Brexit negotiation sake and general pain-in-the-holery in December. Wonder if the confidence and supply arrangement will last another 6 months now?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

It also would have completely disrupted the Joint Oireachtas Committee on the 8th Amendment. I would expect a GE early in 2018 though. Can't see Confidence and Supply agreement lasting much longer.

I suppose we should be thankful that she didn't run for FG leadership this year (and get in), I'm wondering now if she knew that the writing would be on the wall sooner or later.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Wouldn't mind an auld spring election now. gently caress this C&S government. I barely know who to vote for tbh. Why can't Ireland have a Corbynite Labour party analogue.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Minister for justice is such a poisoned chalice at this point that I wouldn't be surprised if they all knew this would come down the line, but hoped it wouldn't. Atleast thats what varadkars response leads me to believe.

Irelands never going to have a corbyn style mainstream labour party while people remain dismissive of the left wing partys we already have. Vote Solidarity-PBP if you want the left presence amplified.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

https://twitter.com/rte/status/935480262082916353

e: She's due to make a statement at 2pm apparently.

That's no fun at all

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Christmas election would have been properly shite, notwithstanding the immediate need to get someone in that will actually address homelessness and the rent crisis. FG do seem to be handling the border aspect of Brexit pretty well though.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

As a nordie I lust for chaos and political crisis

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Loving all the hot takes of "Uh actually the people do want an election before Christmas because of *checks thejournal dot ie* the homeless problem".

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The poor irishtimes girl didn’t get much sympathy over getting gazumped.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Matt Frei livecasting the Ch4 news from outside Leinster House. Clearly the Brits were expecting a more turbulent day in Irish politics which could prove favourable to Britain's negotiating position. Get rekt, looks pretty cold out

e: lol, now from the Ha'penny Bridge "the two countries were really starting to warm to each other before the Brexit vote, the Queen even came on a historic visit :saddowns: "

We don't begrudge the British public as a whole you anus, we're just pointing out how poo poo your Government is

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 28, 2017

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Looking forward to the presidential election coming up.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Wonder if Gerry will make a play for it. Probably not I’d imagine.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Is Mickie D gonna run for a second one?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Is Mickie D gonna run for a second one?

Yeah

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
:unsmith: Micky D

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

He probably will, and Gerard Craughwell is mad as heck about it and definitely not just seeking attention, because by golly Michael D said that he would definitely only do 1 term.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I had my reservations about him before he was elected but he's been a pretty good president.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
:yikes:

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/935599685611515904

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

That aul one in the red hat is causing some serious nationalism among Irish Twitter.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

That old bint near the end haha. I love it. She really looks like the actress from Wurzel Gummidge/Sherlock.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
"You can't always have what you want in life."

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I had my reservations about him before he was elected but he's been a pretty good president.

My favorite part about Micky D president is when he meets the players before rugby internationals

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

irlZaphod posted:

That aul one in the red hat is causing some serious nationalism among Irish Twitter.

it's pretty good OP

https://twitter.com/TheKavOfficial/status/935836936098508800

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Dead sound? I always thought the deeper into Devon and Cornwall you got the more insufferably tory everyone became.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

It's pretty unfair to put northern england in the toerag category too. Cornish people are nice but weird though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah I don't get the big upping of Cornish people, and the unfair generalisation of the rest of England as Toerags. Most of the bad people in England are Tories, also there's a lot of unsound pro-Brexit Welsh people

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

it's probably because cornish is one of the celtic languages

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Our Simon is now Tánaiste

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

julian assflange posted:

Our Simon is now Taoiseach.