Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Roy Moore will win and will end the "believe woman" movement by killing its momentum and doom millions to sexual assault without any reprocussions

Tax bill will pass and destroy the economy

Democrats will pussy out of a gov't shutdown

No DACA Fix, Everyone who fails paper bag test is deported

Gerrymandering is upheld in SCOTUS

2017 election rallies republicans and gerrymandering keeps both houses red

2019 and 2020 the Republicans successfully end social security and medicare

2020 Trump is re-elected

2024 Democracy ends, facism begins

Welcome to your future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Covok posted:

Roy Moore will win and will end the "believe woman" movement by killing its momentum and doom millions to sexual assault without any reprocussions

2020 Trump is re-elected

Welcome to your future

Go outside.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Covok posted:

2020 Trump is re-elected

Welcome to your future

Hell yeah, bring it.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/935918248142475264

get help covok

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This has been a particularly crazy presidential Twitter morning, even for trump. Can't wait to hear what the Washington post contacted him for comment about or whatever probably triggered it.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Other tax bill news:

https://twitter.com/RichardRubinDC/status/935913554221391872
https://twitter.com/crampell/status/935912655952531456
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/935896851945009153

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

There was an article I read this morning, don't recall where, that suggested that leadership thinks Johnson's vote is an actual problem: his demands are so expensive they're not sure they can meet them and he's getting more and more pissed off at how he's being treated. He may actually be a problem for them.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Republicans helping the poor. WTF

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Covok posted:

2020 Trump is re-elected

The machines rose from the ashes of the nuclear fire.

Their war to exterminate mankind had raged for decades, but the final battle would not be fought in the future.

It would be fought here, in our present. Tonight...

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

lizardman posted:

We're reaching a point where being 'Christian' in America means two-and-a-half specific things:

• Anti-LGBT
  • Anti-abortion
  • (So far optional but distressingly widespread): Anti-Muslim

I mean we're almost there already. If you meet a white person and they go out of their way to tell you they're a Christian, you can almost put money on those being the apparent tenets of their worldview.

The rhetoric coming from the Religious Right is getting pretty damned vicious towards anyone who isn't a strait white Christian cis-male :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GB5-R3pfZo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6AsXLYJpJk

This video includes the beautiful line: "What we Christians are experiencing right now is what the Jews experienced in the 30's and 40's in Nazi Germany".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-3S5exLpSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Zq4e9jgdo

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is there anything to actually worry about from the loss of Net Neutrality?

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

evilweasel posted:

There was an article I read this morning, don't recall where, that suggested that leadership thinks Johnson's vote is an actual problem: his demands are so expensive they're not sure they can meet them and he's getting more and more pissed off at how he's being treated. He may actually be a problem for them.

Might be this wapo bit https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...0879_story.html

e: contra slate mentioning this bit that doesn't come up in that piece

quote:

The two senators who want further breaks for pass-through businesses, Johnson and Montana Sen. Steve Daines, are also working through their issues. Johnson, who sometimes announces threats he doesn’t mean whatsoever, had said Monday that he wouldn’t vote for the bill in committee without an agreement. That changed during lunch, when Trump personally called him out and asked him to have a little faith. When Johnson emerged from lunch, he said he would vote for the bill in committee under the understanding that he had received “commitments we are going to get this fixed.” He and Daines will receive some sort of accommodation as the bill moves to the floor. They can choose either to accept it, or to kill their party’s signature legislative effort. Do not expect the latter.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/11/republicans_advance_tax_reform_bill_in_budget_committee.html

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 29, 2017

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Grouchio posted:

loving yeah?

Did you just wake up from a coma?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Grouchio posted:

I mean, I don't think Comcast and AT&T really want to get into the censorship business, they just want to charge more money. My concern is that google and amazon will carve out an area for their streaming services, but any new competitors will not have a chance.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Grouchio posted:

Expect to pay much more for much less.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Not if you like the way your current cable TV bill is.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Optimus Prime Rib posted:

I think people on the outside of the evangelical milieu underestimate how captive evangelicals, especially rural white evangelicals, are to the Republican party because of a sincerely-held belief that abortion is morally wrong. To them a vote for a Democrat is a vote for killing babies, pure and simple, and that trumps any other issue in their mind. You can point out any number of ways that thinking might be wrong, but to them it is just that simple. It's why you get Trump voters in 2016 saying they wouldn't leave their wives alone in a room with him, and the Federalist pushing "God uses morally evil people for his purposes" to justify a vote for Moore.

It's also that most of the Christian media that evangelicals are pushed towards is very Southern, very rural, and very Republican.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Grouchio posted:

Internet divvied up into tiers

Information effectively censored

Rich will now control all you hear and see and truth dies

No netflix

ISP raise prices through roof

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pollyanna posted:

Expect to pay much more for much less.

Oh, and what you do get will be much more restrictive and of lower quality. Imagine Guatemalan internet in the US.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Evil Fluffy posted:

Roy Moore was always going to win unless there is an insane amount of turnout by Dems, in a state that has been making sure they have as hard a time as possible when it comes to voting, while Republicans stay home.

Over a month, especially given the wide net of sexual assault allegations lately, is plenty enough time for Alabama to normalize "decades-old ephebophilia, but not even true because Gloria Allred is involved"

No amount of Dem turnout can beat a regular turnout there for good ol' boy Roy, and I think the rightwing media has played up Franken etc to the point even the crotchety neocon voters there who initially gasped, "oh my heavens!", are now resigned to voting "against Doug Jones, for America".

quote:

Republicans know that demographics are against them. But demographics don't mean as much when you simply make sure that certain people have an extremely hard time voting, while tossing in some Gerrymandering.

Ending chain migration would also nullify the "demographics" forecast after a decade or two of lagtime, and who knows what group would be the biggest influx if we switch to a merit system. Slavs? South East Asians?

Oh, and I really doubt Gerrymandering is even close to having a smaller effect than modern voter suppression, even as bad as that has gotten.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Grouchio posted:

Would you pay your ISP an extra $4.95 a month to read SA?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Yep, this is it. This is the section that seemed like a big deal:

quote:

The extraordinary exchange with Trump took some fellow GOP senators aback as the depths of Johnson’s anger became clear. And it left some GOP leaders and aides questioning whether Johnson could ever get to “yes” on the tax bill, even though as a conservative businessman he would seem to be a natural constituency for the legislation.

It’s a big number, it’s north of a hundred billion,” Sen. John Thune (S.D.), the third-ranking Senate Republican, said of the changes Johnson is seeking.

Johnson wants “pass-through” companies to be treated more like other corporations that are seeing their rates reduced from 35 percent to 20 percent under the GOP legislation. Instead the Senate bill proposes that owners of pass-through companies can take a 17.4 percent tax deduction off some of their income, a figure that GOP leaders have proposed raising to 20 percent to mollify Sen. Steve Daines (R-Mont.) and Johnson.

Johnson has said it’s not enough and has claimed that he has not been privy to such an offer.

“I’ve got no offers, I’ve received no offers. None. No,” Johnson said late Monday as he threatened to vote against the legislation in the Budget Committee on Tuesday, which could have upended the process and embarrassed leadership. “I know people are talking about things, but I certainly haven’t received any offers other than to give me information, which has been pretty slow to come.”

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Grouchio posted:

You couldn't access the telus company union website using a telus internet connection from 2005 to 2006

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Eltoasto posted:

I mean, I don't think Comcast and AT&T really want to get into the censorship business, they just want to charge more money. My concern is that google and amazon will carve out an area for their streaming services, but any new competitors will not have a chance.

Google will deffo act like the good guys and offer all their services "content neutral", but this is because there is no site too niche for AdSense

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

evilweasel posted:

Yep, this is it. This is the section that seemed like a big deal:

I edited, he's gotten some kind of offer, per other reporting.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Vladimir Putin posted:

Mike Lee isn't doing it to help the poor. He's doing it to retain the votes of large Mormon families in Utah.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Netflix/Hulu has the scale to pay ISP bandwidth ransoms and will probably pass the costs onto customers. YouTube will probably further monetize.

Bandwidth fuckery will start immediately, bandwidth caps will probably go nation wide and tend down immediately, fast lanes/bandwidth ignoring packages will start immediately.

Actual channelization will probably start somewhere a few years down the line where content is completely walled unless you pay for a premium tier/package to access it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Yeah, this is the other side. It seems clear they're going to tell him to go gently caress himself and dare him to stand up for himself. I don't think he'd be willing to actually sink it. However, I think that leadership may be overplaying his hand: if there's one thing that was clear from the whole Obamacare repeal debacle, it's that a bill is never dead until it's dead. Why would he believe if he votes against it they can't have zombie Trump Tax Cuts in a month that gives him what he wants?

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Vladimir Putin posted:

Apparently Child Tax Credit expansion has been a pet project of Rubio and Lee for a while. I first found out while reading this article about a really good Child Allowance (basically a UBI for children) being proposed by Sherrod Brown and Michael Bennet.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/10/26/16552200/child-allowance-tax-credit-bill-michael-bennet-sherrod-brown

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/PLFino/status/935920491046555648

https://twitter.com/MooreSenate/status/935917705730953219

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Covok posted:

No netflix

The spark of the middle class Revolution

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The spark of the middle class Revolution

https://twitter.com/sppeoples/status/935922048706207744

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Grouchio posted:

A general slowdown of society and the economy as less people have access to internet, there are less voices sharing their ideas, and less people are able to engage in commerce as buyer or seller. It would lead to a smaller society as more people get cut off from one of the main means of engaging with the world.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

There are no heroes

https://twitter.com/AP/status/935921836856172546

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I laughed at this

https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/935922444329738240

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

This can’t

what

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

That makes two in two days--Kennedy and Tillis.

This is what happens when the right hand doesn't have a loving clue what the left is doing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

All your worst nightmares are slowly coming true and there is nothing you can do about it.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Wait...

Oh God, no. Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

eviltastic posted:

I edited, he's gotten some kind of offer, per other reporting.

I don't think he has. I read those two together: there has been a specific offer reported, he has not gotten it and he wouldn't accept it if it was made. But he has received a commitment that they will take care of his issues, which is why he voted to proceed. So I read that as that there has been no offer, only an agreement to make an offer. It seems likely to me that the offer is going to be the one being shopped to the press and that he has rejected to the press.

• Locked thread