Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
This was the best money zone since they talked about Disney channel that one time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pastrymancy posted:

This was the best money zone since they talked about Disney channel that one time

Which was that

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
The last real good money zone I remember was around mothers day this year when Griffin talked about eating the flowers and Travis telling him constantly to not do it.

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Travis was absolutely on form this week. The crawdads goof was ok but not amazing and Travis just saves it out of nowhere.

My girlfriend and I were driving home listening to this, and I nearly crashed the car laughing at that goof. Thankfully, my girlfriend wasn't mad at me because she was laughing just as hard and rewound it to just catch that moment all over again. I don' t know how the hell Travis kills it like he does, but hot drat I hope he never changes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Griffin was oddly insistent on the crawdaddy goof that he had already told fully, though. Kinda got annoying.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It wouldn't be as good if Travis was consistently good.

Thank Travis for Travis.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Waffleman_ posted:

Griffin was oddly insistent on the crawdaddy goof that he had already told fully, though. Kinda got annoying.

That was the joke though. Him constantly insisting that a man covered in plastic crawdads is the best idea is very dumb and it was funny (not as funny as Travis’ line though).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

soupcan58 posted:

My girlfriend and I were driving home listening to this, and I nearly crashed the car laughing at that goof. Thankfully, my girlfriend wasn't mad at me because she was laughing just as hard and rewound it to just catch that moment all over again. I don' t know how the hell Travis kills it like he does, but hot drat I hope he never changes.
can't wait until the fateful day the McElroys are brought to justice for death by goofs

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

can't wait until the fateful day the McElroys are brought to justice for death by goofs

Justin gets fifteen years, Griffin gets twenty, and Travis either gets ten or the death sentence, it depends.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Thanks Travis for Travis is all I can say. This weeks show was incredibly good.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I gotta say I get the urge to turn off awful squad the second Justin starts singing but luckily for them I'm far from the typical viewing demo

I also hate it mostly because it overwhelms everything else being said.

Also you can tell Griffin isn't a fan either especially when they are in tight situation or close to winning.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Zero One posted:

I also hate it mostly because it overwhelms everything else being said.

Also you can tell Griffin isn't a fan either especially when they are in tight situation or close to winning.
Yeahhhhhh. It's a weird dynamic sometimes cuz he is like, kinda the boss.
On the other hand I love it whenever russ fucks something up or sabotages something so I guess I'm a dang ol' hypocrite

I was watching an older ep since I only just really started with awful squad and for a solid minute I was like "Who's Nick again in Polygon? Nick...Nick...Ni-ohhh...OH."

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I also enjoyed that Griffin's immediate reaction to Travis's crawdad line was trying to get Justin's support to cut it for being too gross and failing miserably.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

https://twitter.com/travismcelroy/status/935318843957932032

Henry Crustwheel
Jun 22, 2010

Those should be in separate boxes.
Lin slipped a "toe to tip" in the latest Curb Your Enthusiasm. He really likes their pods and vids.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Henry Crustwheel posted:

Lin slipped a "toe to tip" in the latest Curb Your Enthusiasm. He really likes their pods and vids.

Curb Your Enthusiasm is still running? Huh.

Henry Crustwheel
Jun 22, 2010

Those should be in separate boxes.

Moatman posted:

Curb Your Enthusiasm is still running? Huh.

Took a like 7 year break... it's more of a reunion season at this point. With "current" touchstones like that Hamilton guy. Remember when they did Broadway?

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/partbearpartnot/status/935747116214964226

The original question asker has taken the boys' advice

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
holy poo poo

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

amazing.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

https://twitter.com/partbearpartnot/status/935747116214964226

Beautiful

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

This has to be the first time this has ever happened

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Colonel Whitey posted:

No, there was that guy who tied his Dad up and made him watch Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

We're specifically told to never follow the advice. smh. what a busta

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Gotta admit those Crawdads are pretty nice.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Following their advice worked out for the teacher from the tv show fwiw :)

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Colonel Whitey posted:

I think there was an episode where listeners called them and told them about how they followed their advice.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mikedawson posted:

I think there was an episode where listeners called them and told them about how they followed their advice.

You're thinking of Car Talk.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

FutonForensic posted:

We're specifically told to never follow the advice. smh. what a busta

Now they are under the McElroy curse. 10 years sexy luck

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
So, is the supposed end of the Commitment Arc tomorrow? What has everyone thought about it?

I'll be honest, I've had some issues with Griffin. I feel like he's kind of been a dick most of this arc. He gets mad at Travis for suggesting his loser character is a loser, he gets mad when people call him out, and he constantly is correcting Clint on mechanics stuff. I get it, it's his baby, and Balance was fantastic for all the effort he put into it, but I'm excited for the next arc, if only because I know Travis and Justin would be more able to call him out in a funny way that will still get him to calm down.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I really like it overall, and feel like Griffin might calm down with correcting his GM after not having to be one for a bit. It'll probably be very toned down by the end of Travis' and Justin's turns.

I don't know what the other 3 will be, but i would not be at all upset if they went with Commitment for the next proper arc.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I caught up to the entire arc the other day and I really think people overstate how much Griffin was actually mad at things and not just joking around. You'd think he was flipping out constantly from posts in this thread.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The worst of it was in the world building episode, where he tried to take the podcast wheel a few times, but he was basically the host for three years so it's understandable.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Griffin was a little much at times but my biggest problem was Travis' character. It turns out "self-centered person who has no interest in teamwork" isn't a lot of fun to listen to in a group play setting.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

JethroMcB posted:

Griffin was a little much at times but my biggest problem was Travis' character. It turns out "self-centered person who has no interest in teamwork" isn't a lot of fun to listen to in a group play setting.

What? Nadia rules.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I honestly really liked all 3 of the characters, because having 2 fully independent people on a team with a panicky, dependent goober trying his best to keep the team together is funny to me.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Who What Now posted:

What? Nadia rules.

I'm going to use Science. Let me just lift up my Invader Zim t-shirt to pull my chained bacon wallet out of my cargo shorts, I'm sure I have a Science notes in here somewhere

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Who What Now posted:

What? Nadia rules.

I think it worked out but definitely in the world building/planning episode it made me nervous since in most situations "character who doesn't want to be part of the team" usually ends up just making a D&D game worse.

That said, given decent players or people who are willing to cooperate on a meta level, they can actually do something interesting with it and turn it into a character building aspect. I totally think the McElroys are capable of that, but I can also understand people just wanting the feel-good cooperation off the bat, particularly if this is only going to be a short run thing.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Oxyclean posted:

I think it worked out but definitely in the world building/planning episode it made me nervous since in most situations "character who doesn't want to be part of the team" usually ends up just making a D&D game worse.

That said, given decent players or people who are willing to cooperate on a meta level, they can actually do something interesting with it and turn it into a character building aspect. I totally think the McElroys are capable of that, but I can also understand people just wanting the feel-good cooperation off the bat, particularly if this is only going to be a short run thing.

The thing is, there's a good chance it won't be a short-run thing. There's a chance that this is their next major arc, and that these characters continue to grow and evolve. Having a character arc that would be interesting to resolve at a later time isn't a bad idea if you're writing something that could go on for the long haul.

I will definitely agree that Nadia sounded like she was going to end up being a bad character played poorly, but I think Travis has done a good job of improving her demeanor from a person who basically assumes she needs no help and refuses it from those she views as beneath her, to a person who believes she's above people, but will take what help she can to succeed in her goals. And I think she can only go up from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
It played out as Nadia trying to find another entrance to the boss fight so she could get a strategic advantage on her own, which is pretty cool. If it played out that Nadia found something else to do and just walked away from the boss fight, that's when self-promoting players get really lovely and start ruining the game.

Travis is a good D&D player so he's earned the right to be a selfish character.