Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Unless it's id Software circa 1994 :v:

I know, and I genuinely love Oblige to bits (it's given me some of the best Survival co-op experiences over Skulltag/Zandronum), but there's a strange power Slige has over me when it comes to 'five-minute-fuckabout' testing because of just how lovely the maps are.

To be fair seeing that silhouette specifically means doing the same thing for both tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I have a mild case of nostalgia for SLIGE, since I was using it back in 2004 to mess around with mods and such in my earliest days of Doom.

I mean, it's not good, but I like what it generates to some degree, even still - hell, better than OBLIGE's maps in some cases.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Cephalectomy posted:

To be fair seeing that silhouette specifically means doing the same thing for both tho

…and it's not like “same look, only more muted colour → same monster, only weaker” is a particularly bad bit of visual communication.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Cephalectomy posted:

Hey now, estimating how much ammo I need to kill one is different in maps where resources are tight!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Shadow Hog posted:

I have a mild case of nostalgia for SLIGE, since I was using it back in 2004 to mess around with mods and such in my earliest days of Doom.

I mean, it's not good, but I like what it generates to some degree, even still - hell, better than OBLIGE's maps in some cases.
Wait what? Which magical version are you using? All I get is a series of maps consisting of tedious boxroom chains, all loaded with poo poo which is almost certainly guarding the ammo required to loving kill them.

(I like how Slige inexplicably prioritises Demons/Spectres over every other monster type when generating a map. Except I don't really, since it turns every loving skirmish into a tedious slog against a horde of obstacles which do nothing but get in the way while remaining somewhere which leaves them unable to move in to attack you.)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I tried looking at the SLIGE source code once out of curiosity but it was like a single 4000 line .c file with no separation of concerns and bizarre comments everywhere.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I never played UT2K3, but I've heard, time and time again, about how horrible it was. What was the big problem? How could there be such a dip in quality from UT99 - UT2K4?

I played the poo poo out of 99, but I'd choose 2K4 over it any day. Whatever was lost I didn't miss, and I absolutely love everything that was added. :colbert:

I'm struggling to remember the finer details since it's been so long but, for me, UT2k3 stumbled on a few important things: Like others have already said, the "Assault" mode was conspicuously absent and (perhaps because of its contemporary technical demands) the game seemed to emphasize smaller teams and smaller levels. Whereas game modes like UT99's "Domination" had 2-4 teams fighting in levels with 3+ control points, UT2k3 had "Double Domination" with 2 teams and 2 control points. UT2k3 was also a little lacking in the mutators and maps departments. It all culminated in a game that was technically impressive and perfect serviceable, but didn't quite live up to the lofty expectations of UT'99.

That being said, UT2k3 wasn't a horrible game, and I remember thinking it looked amazing when it first game out...but it also felt mechanically lacking compared to UT'99, and there wasn't a long enough gestation period for community-made mutators, levels, and mods to be implemented before UT2k4 came out and blew its predecessor out of the water. Everybody jumped ship. I remember the demo for UT2k4 including a single "Onslaught" map (ONS-Toran) that people played non-stop for months, and was a perfect indicator of how satisfying the new game mode was. There was zero reason to go back--it was an inferior version of UT2k4 in every single way, and that's the way it's remembered.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 29, 2017

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I use this site for any Slige "mess around with gameplay mods map"

https://soulsphere.org/hacks/slige/
It's been auto generating a map a day since September 19, 2002. I use them when I basically want to play FPS Smash TV. D4T, Go Medieval On Their Asses, and High Noon Drifter work well with them.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I absolutely hated Onslaught, and personally never understood why the community loved it so much. The whole mix of huge maps and vehicle based gameplay just felt so off in a game like UT.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I absolutely hated Onslaught, and personally never understood why the community loved it so much. The whole mix of huge maps and vehicle based gameplay just felt so off in a game like UT.

People fell in love with it due to the one Onslaught map that came with the demo.

All the maps in the full release weren't as fun.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Shadow Hog posted:

Bit of a segue, but it was recently noted in HG101's Discord that games don't really do colored projectiles as much as they loved to in the late '90s/early 2000s - starting right around the same "real is brown" fad that led to Unreal Tournament 3 looking as drab as it did.

I suppose I hadn't really missed it that much, but it's still kind of a shame. Not gonna have too many firefights lit up like a dance floor like you would with, say, Forsaken here.

Colored lighting was like a big amazing thing as 3d games really got going. Glowing stuff was some nifty eye candy back then until people realized they probably didn't need every light source to be green or blue or red or whatever.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Shadow Hog posted:

WTF absolutely not

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Castlevania TC has updated with some improved artwork and bug fixes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mqZ0iXtgnM

quote:

-Brand new Simon sprites by Khefz
-Updated whip sprites to match the new character sprites
-Bat sprites now match hitboxes
-Fixed a small light issue in map02
-No more menu logo in the title screen! (Code by Zombosis)
-Changed Eagle's obituary text (It was the same as the crow's obituary in the previous build)
-New music loops by Felgerian

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Wait what? Which magical version are you using? All I get is a series of maps consisting of tedious boxroom chains, all loaded with poo poo which is almost certainly guarding the ammo required to loving kill them.
No magic version, it's the same lovely program everyone else has. I just... kinda like the thing, in spite of itself.

Not like I need to apologize for my guilty pleasures or anything. :colbert:

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 29, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Was UT2k3 the one with the opening cinematic showing the UT99 veterans being classy and shsit while the new tournament fighters were literal psychotic punks on meth with Malcolm just shaking his head at them? That was hilarious.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

MariusLecter posted:

Was UT2k3 the one with the opening cinematic showing the UT99 veterans being classy and shsit while the new tournament fighters were literal psychotic punks on meth with Malcolm just shaking his head at them? That was hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b18Va6bl1Q4

End says Ut2k4, but that's actually the ut2k3 intro sequence.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Is there any guide out there on the best way to play doom 3 in 2017 and what kinds of mods I should use? BFG Edition or 2004 retail edition?

ETPC fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 30, 2017

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

ETPC posted:

Is there any guide out there on the best way to play doom 3 in 2017 and what kinds of mods I should use?

If you see a zombie punch the poo poo out of it

Past that idk

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Retail edition without mods. Just use the widescreen ini changes and you're set.

If you really want to play through it with mods then I remember Denton's Mod being pretty good over a decade ago. http://www.moddb.com/mods/dentons-enhanced-doom3-v202

The BFG Edition of Doom 3 and its expansion removes some areas/has weird changes and it's not worth it outside the 2 hour bonus campaign.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

That said, maybe buy it on sale for No Rest for the Living. A very steep sale, since I wouldn't pay more than $5-10 for that campaign (prolly closer to the low end of that range than the high end), but still, it's a good (but short!) Doom 2 mapset.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Speaking of steep sales and Doom 3, Fanatical (formerly BundleStars) is running a bundle deal on the Doom franchise. Ten bucks gets you Doom 2016(!!), Twenty gets you the rest of the series in the form of the Classic Complete package and BFG Edition).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Are there any tutorials or resources on how to make levels or mods for the original Half-Life? Making a mod for HL1 has always been something I've wanted to do, but I don't know if the dev tools for it are still available, or where you can find them.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Max Wilco posted:

Are there any tutorials or resources on how to make levels or mods for the original Half-Life? Making a mod for HL1 has always been something I've wanted to do, but I don't know if the dev tools for it are still available, or where you can find them.

I actually got into making maps for HL1 like 2 weeks ago. Getting started with Hammer was the hardest part cause a lot of tutorials are long gone, you need a fair bit of googling to find anything specific for Goldsrc.

You can get the SDK off Steam in the tools section. Apparently it doesn't come with the most up to date version of Hammer though, so you can get the unofficial Hammer 3.5.3, and then you should probably get Zoner's Half-Life Tools for compiling and to get a few extra features.
This guide helped me configure Hammer for Steam. The Whole Half-Life has a bunch of tutorials you can look through, including an archive of VERC, the Valve Editing Resource Center, which might help for modding.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Max Wilco posted:

Valve's official advice is "don't". Like they straight up recommend hacking up Quake over using goldsrc.

Which is a shame because as far as I can tell no one's ever really hacked half-life style seamless level transitions into any of the quakes :(

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

The Kins posted:

Speaking of steep sales and Doom 3, Fanatical (formerly BundleStars) is running a bundle deal on the Doom franchise. Ten bucks gets you Doom 2016(!!), Twenty gets you the rest of the series in the form of the Classic Complete package and BFG Edition).

How long does it usually take for new accounts to get confirmed and keys available?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

HolyKrap posted:

I actually got into making maps for HL1 like 2 weeks ago. Getting started with Hammer was the hardest part cause a lot of tutorials are long gone, you need a fair bit of googling to find anything specific for Goldsrc.

You can get the SDK off Steam in the tools section. Apparently it doesn't come with the most up to date version of Hammer though, so you can get the unofficial Hammer 3.5.3, and then you should probably get Zoner's Half-Life Tools for compiling and to get a few extra features.
This guide helped me configure Hammer for Steam. The Whole Half-Life has a bunch of tutorials you can look through, including an archive of VERC, the Valve Editing Resource Center, which might help for modding.

Cool, thanks for the links.

Keiya posted:

Valve's official advice is "don't". Like they straight up recommend hacking up Quake over using goldsrc.

Which is a shame because as far as I can tell no one's ever really hacked half-life style seamless level transitions into any of the quakes :(
I wouldn't even know how to hack up Quake. I really don't know programming as it is.

I still want to attempt to make something in Half Life 1, but provided that doesn't pan out, is there something else that's worth trying out? I messed around with GZDoomBuilder a while ago, though I've forgotten a lot of the controls for it.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
I wish Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory was still a thing. That game ruled my high school years.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Keiya posted:

By "seamless level transition", do you mean that, when two levels have a transition area (e.g. a hallway) with identical geometry, and the player walks into the transition area, when the new level is then loaded, the player should be in the same position relative to the transition area, looking in the same direction? Keep momentum?
I honestly never played much HL but I think those are the technical requirements, right?

I wonder if it can't be implemented purely in the gamecode (QuakeC) or whether it does require engine-level hacking. I'd guess the biggest obstacle is that Quake 1 doesn't keep much state between map transitions.

Edit: Something like having trigger_changelevel target (or be targeted) by an info_player_start, the target names used in both levels must match. When you trigger the changelevel, it records your position/angle/velocity relative to the targeted info_player_start, and restores those when the new map has loaded. Pretty sure that can be done with very little extension. I almost feel like trying.

E2: vvv not quite, it doesn't keep relative position or angle. If you run backwards into the level transition you will still face forwards after the new map loads.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 30, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Quake 2 has seamless level transitions, doesn’t it? Small levels compared to HL obvious, but...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

nielsm posted:

I wonder if it can't be implemented purely in the gamecode (QuakeC)

Put a reference entity at the same position in the map A and map B copies of the same hallway. When the level transition trigger is hit, record the player's location relative to the map A entity somewhere and offset the player's spawn location from the map B entity by that much when starting up the new map. Probably doable in QuakeC. For momentum and orientation you'd have to save and copy those to the new player instance.

You'd still get a hitch when you hit the load point because that generation of engine didn't have background loading; that couldn't be fixed in QuakeC.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

nielsm posted:

By "seamless level transition", do you mean that, when two levels have a transition area (e.g. a hallway) with identical geometry, and the player walks into the transition area, when the new level is then loaded, the player should be in the same position relative to the transition area, looking in the same direction? Keep momentum?
I honestly never played much HL but I think those are the technical requirements, right?

I wonder if it can't be implemented purely in the gamecode (QuakeC) or whether it does require engine-level hacking. I'd guess the biggest obstacle is that Quake 1 doesn't keep much state between map transitions.

Heck it's been implemented in ACS in GZDoom (see Gooberman's Gateway Experiments).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
ZDoom has Hexen's "hub" system, allowing for gamestate to be preserved and saved when travelling back and forth between maps (for example, having an enemy still be dead when backtracking across maps). I don't think Quake has anything like that.

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi
In QuakeC you only have a handful of fields which are preserved across level loads. Quite a few of them are actually unused in the base game, so it's not impossible to stuff info like that in there and get it back on level load, but it definitely isn't trivial either.
In the end though, Quake 2 style transitions are probably "good enough" if you're trying to do something like that, because you most likely want to carry more important game state in those fields instead.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

haveblue posted:

Put a reference entity at the same position in the map A and map B copies of the same hallway. When the level transition trigger is hit, record the player's location relative to the map A entity somewhere and offset the player's spawn location from the map B entity by that much when starting up the new map. Probably doable in QuakeC. For momentum and orientation you'd have to save and copy those to the new player instance.

You'd still get a hitch when you hit the load point because that generation of engine didn't have background loading; that couldn't be fixed in QuakeC.

It also needs to persist the state of the level you're leaving so it's the same when you go back to it (IIRC Quake didn't support backtracking). And I think it needs to bring across other entities in the load corridor, like corpses, but don't quote me on that; it's been a long time since I played HL1.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

czg posted:

In QuakeC you only have a handful of fields which are preserved across level loads. Quite a few of them are actually unused in the base game, so it's not impossible to stuff info like that in there and get it back on level load, but it definitely isn't trivial either.
In the end though, Quake 2 style transitions are probably "good enough" if you're trying to do something like that, because you most likely want to carry more important game state in those fields instead.

Yeah I've just examined it. There's 16 float-type (numeric) values preserved across level loads, and the base game uses 9 of them to store health, armor, ammo, weapons, and items held. (I think items really only counts the runes? It removes all powerups and regular keys before storing it.) That leaves 7 fields to store three vectors and a destination, which naively would need 10 fields.
However I think it should be possible to pack some of the things, e.g. put both health and armor into a single field, since they've limited to 100 and 200 respectively, and similar with ammo values.

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi

nielsm posted:

Yeah I've just examined it. There's 16 "float" (numeric) values preserved across level loads, and the base game uses 9 of them to store health, armor, ammo, weapons, and items held. (I think items really only counts the runes? It removes all powerups and regular keys before storing it.) That leaves 7 fields to store three vectors and a destination, which naively would need 10 fields.
However I think it should be possible to pack some of the things, e.g. put both health and armor into a single field, since they've limited to 100 and 200 respectively, and similar with ammo values.

Yeah I've done that before, you can pack two or three health/armor/ammo values into one field. Runes are stored separately in the serverflags field if I remember correctly. I think there's also a string field or two that is preserved, but you can't do any string manipulation in Quake so that's pointless.

Edit: I did actually get a fairly robust system working where you can travel back and forth between levels and have persistent world state, but it depended on loading a savegame for the next level instead of loading it directly. Then there's some QC stuff to detect if a savegame was loaded, and then fetch new player position and inventory from what I stashed into those fields before triggering the savegame load.

czg fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 30, 2017

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

A3th3r posted:

I wish Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory was still a thing. That game ruled my high school years.
I'll bet it hasn't aged particularly well.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Linguica posted:

I'll bet it hasn't aged particularly well.

I tried playing recently and it was either bot servers or passworded servers.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

czg posted:

Yeah I've done that before, you can pack two or three health/armor/ammo values into one field. Runes are stored separately in the serverflags field if I remember correctly. I think there's also a string field or two that is preserved, but you can't do any string manipulation in Quake so that's pointless.

Edit: I did actually get a fairly robust system working where you can travel back and forth between levels and have persistent world state, but it depended on loading a savegame for the next level instead of loading it directly. Then there's some QC stuff to detect if a savegame was loaded, and then fetch new player position and inventory from what I stashed into those fields before triggering the savegame load.

Right yes, without full map state persistence, seamless map transitions are mostly worthless. So you would definitely need an engine extension to store multiple map states in a single save file, and keep it ready during a play session. It looks like there is a defined standard for integrating engine extensions with QuakeC progs so it would be possible to make an extension like that and advertise it to progs, which can then implement the remaining transition logic. Apart from saving map states, it might also be an advantage to have an entity to hint preloading another map, and perhaps some functions for putting extra data outside the 16 predefined variables into "persistent state". Would be especially useful for Hexen-style triggering a switch in one map has effects in another map puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

The last time I played, there were still humans playing, but ET's server browser annoyingly shows servers full of bots as being full, so finding those humans was a chore.