Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

baka kaba posted:

Cancelling dialogs with the back button is standard behaviour to. It's safer this way

That one, in particular, would be better served by the back button saving the draft and exiting rather than just endlessly looping and defeating the entire purpose of the back button.

Or just let us turn off the confirmation thing since if I'm trying to abort out of the reply screen I've generally decided whatever I was going to write wasn't worth it, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Javid posted:

That one, in particular, would be better served by the back button saving the draft and exiting rather than just endlessly looping and defeating the entire purpose of the back button.
No, you are backing out of backing out. The context changes.

Javid posted:

Or just let us turn off the confirmation thing since if I'm trying to abort out of the reply screen I've generally decided whatever I was going to write wasn't worth it, anyway.

Nah, you don't want it to always save because it'll pop up the "wanna use THIS?" every time you want to reply in the same thread. Likewise you don't want it to always dismiss because you will lose a post sooner or later.

Also this is one of the edgier edge cases and I doubt anyone else has the same problem.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It's the only place on my entire phone where I can't just hit the back button a couple times to get out of whatever I'm doing and that's really loving annoying.

Sereri posted:

Likewise you don't want it to always dismiss because you will lose a post sooner or later.

That is, in fact, exactly what I want. This has saved zero (0) truly excellent replies from accidental deletion but has caused quite a bit of irritation as a button doesn't perform the function it does in every other context.

Letting us turn off all the little confirm dialogs would solve the whole issue nicely.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Backing out means you either want to save the post and come back later (like if you want to go back and add another quote), or you want to discard the whole thing. That's a destructive action, so you need to confirm which you want, and confirmation dialogs on Android are supposed to cancel if you hit back. You're backing out of the decision that threw up the dialog

We've got enough settings to worry about as it is, cmon! Nobody's posting workflow is this intense

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

baka kaba posted:

We've got enough settings to worry about as it is, cmon!

We might wanna go Trump on this one: Sell all your data to the Russians commit treason obstruct justice For every new setting, two old ones have to go.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

When you edit a post, you "confirm edit" but then the quick loading screen thing says posting as if you made a new post and not an edit.

please mark this the highest of priorities

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

What if it means posting the edit, huh? it doesn't, I think I did that

Sereri posted:

We might wanna go Trump on this one: Sell all your data to the Russians commit treason obstruct justice For every new setting, two old ones have to go.

Also constant notifications, all day, every day. This is gonna be big, folks, you won't believe it

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'm slightly irritated sometimes by the back button thing. But then I realized my credit union's app does the same thing when logging out, so... :shrug:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
This behaviour really hinders my posts per second (pps)

But seriously, It's better than what used to happen where pressing the back button could delete your saved draft.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there a setting I can change to show twitter posts inline rather than as links?
Edit: I switched on the twitter embedding feature in settings and my whole thread view went haywire. I see why it's kept off as a default.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 29, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Which thread did you look at, or is it happening everywhere? And is your webview component up to date from the play store? What device / android version are you using?

There's nothing special about the Twitter widget, it's just the one Twitter provides to embed their stuff on web pages. Should work fine usually!

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Why does it not let me refresh bookmarks sometimes?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Because it's already refreshing the bookmarks and the indicator is just not working for some reason.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Automatically saving a draft and then prompting the user the next time they go to post in that thread seems like the way to go. (It can offer to use saved post, or delete saved post.) It preserves back-button behavior while not losing posts.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

That's how it was before. This is better - when you back out you're either giving up on the post or you're planning to come back to it later, so it's the best time to make that decision and clear out the trash, instead of leaving it lying around until the next time you post in the thread. You'd still have to click a thing, except now you don't remember what you were doing or what any of this stuff is

It does automatically save drafts (like if the app loses focus) to avoid you losing anything, just not when you're intentionally backing out of the post, because it's for a reason. Like I said the dialog cancel thing is standard behaviour in these situations

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
That doesn't fit my usage at all - if I just wrote something, I'm almost always inclined to keep it, otherwise I wouldn't have written it. It's a rare thing to truly back out of even the idea of a post while writing it, at least for me. It takes walking away and coming back for me to realize that something is better left unsaid, or the discussion has moved on and that's when I make the decision. I'd say 80+% of the time, my decision of keep vs discard will change between when I hit "back", and when I hit post again in the same thread.

The thing that best fits my use-case would be auto-save on "back", auto-restore if it's "recent" on post, and prompt if it's "non-recent".

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 29, 2017

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

That doesn't fit my usage at all - if I just wrote something, I'm almost always inclined to keep it, otherwise I wouldn't have written it.
It also doesn't fit my usage, but for the opposite reason. I abandon posts whole cloth much of the time but would rather be able to back out quickly regardless of whether or not I feel like coming back for an edit later. Could keep things manageable trash-wise by just saving the last 5 drafts or whatever.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FWIW, I prefer the way it is now. I often back out of a post when I decide it'd better composed on my pc.

Previously I'd constantly get asked if I wanted to restore a post and then I'd gave to look in to it and decide if it was one of those times I wanted to or not.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

baka kaba posted:

Which thread did you look at, or is it happening everywhere? And is your webview component up to date from the play store? What device / android version are you using?

There's nothing special about the Twitter widget, it's just the one Twitter provides to embed their stuff on web pages. Should work fine usually!

I was looking at threads in D&D where there are a lot of twitter updates. Every time I tried to scroll down the page would shoot up to the top again like it was trying to load everything and failing every few seconds. My phone is an old as poo poo Samsung galaxy core and that webview app isn't compatible with my android version, which is 4.4.2
Everything else in the app works just fine but if I turn on twitter embedding it goes screwy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

baka kaba posted:

That's how it was before. This is better - when you back out you're either giving up on the post or you're planning to come back to it later, so it's the best time to make that decision and clear out the trash, instead of leaving it lying around until the next time you post in the thread. You'd still have to click a thing, except now you don't remember what you were doing or what any of this stuff is

It does automatically save drafts (like if the app loses focus) to avoid you losing anything, just not when you're intentionally backing out of the post, because it's for a reason. Like I said the dialog cancel thing is standard behaviour in these situations

I like what it does now and urge you to keep it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

That's how it was before. This is better

I agree with this, it's better the way it is now.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nevermind

blue squares fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 4, 2017

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
We at the redneck car forum have changed names to Dick Dicer's Autoerotic Transaxle Emporium. I dunno what kind of voodoo black magic IT poo poo needs to go down to get the app to notice, but here's notice.

Also nice app thanks very much please add mod buttons

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

We at the redneck car forum have changed names to Dick Dicer's Autoerotic Transaxle Emporium. I dunno what kind of voodoo black magic IT poo poo needs to go down to get the app to notice, but here's notice.

Go to Settings -> Forum Index -> Force a forum update

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

You'd have to make the devs mods so they can test the new buttons.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Okay, I have a weird issue. I have a Moto G5 plus, and if I try to switch app focus from Awful to my camera, the camera fails to load. This is almost 100% reproducible. Has anyone else experienced this?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Adiabatic posted:

It updates daily but yeah, you can force an update like what someone up there said

Can't really do mod buttons without one of us being a mod, got no idea what happens with that and no way to test it's all working

Flying Leatherman posted:

Okay, I have a weird issue. I have a Moto G5 plus, and if I try to switch app focus from Awful to my camera, the camera fails to load. This is almost 100% reproducible. Has anyone else experienced this?

We don't use the camera permission, so it's probably not that!

Moto has some custom OS stuff going on like with the gestures and whatever, so honestly I have no idea what it could be personally. The only thing that springs to mind is that you can turn on scrolling with the volume buttons in Awful (currently broken because of something else, fixing it properly is looking awkward, I'll see about patching it) and you can take pics using the volume rocker as a shutter button, so maybe there's a clash if you have that enabled? Doubt it though

e - lots of people here with some kind of issue? Might be a thing with the phone

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 13, 2017

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Probably is a thing with the phone, yeah. It is weird that it only happens with the Awful app consistently, but it definitely does happen at other times as well - makes me think it could be two different things, but I just can't provide much more detail. Appreciate you looking into it - I can install debug builds to get logs if you think it would help as well.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have a Motorola Droid turbo and no problem loading camera from app with gestures or anything else for what that's worth.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Probably is a thing with the phone, yeah. It is weird that it only happens with the Awful app consistently, but it definitely does happen at other times as well - makes me think it could be two different things, but I just can't provide much more detail. Appreciate you looking into it - I can install debug builds to get logs if you think it would help as well.

Honestly it's probably nothing to do with Awful - apps shouldn't be able to affect others like that, and we're not doing anything special anyway. It sounds like a problem with their camera app, maybe caused by the OS or Moto's software not handling something in the expected way

If you wanted you could look at the Android logs (you can use logcat like this if you're comfortable, I dunno if there are any nice standalone apps outside of the dev tools) and see if there are any error messages when the camera fails. If there's anything from Awful at that point maybe there's something we can do, but I reckon it'll just be the camera app falling over, or some system error

Bring it over to the dev thread if you like, can't promise anything but maybe we can work something out

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Carbon dioxide posted:

You'd have to make the devs mods so they can test the new buttons.

I mean it's a pretty low barrier to entry already.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Awesome, thanks. I'll go ahead and do logcat things and probably end up sending a report into Moto. I appreciate you taking the time :)

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
keep up the good work, everyone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Can you reproduce the issue using the Google Camera app? I don't even know if that camera apk will work on your phone but installing an alternate camera would be my first troubleshooting step.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Good call! I didn't see an Android 7 apk on that page but I installed Open Camera from the play store and I don't seem to be having any issues with that. I like the gesture support so I guess it's time to open a ticket with Moto. Thanks for the tip.

Sapphira
Apr 7, 2006
Please make linked tweets in threads show up in the app <3 thanks!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sapphira posted:

Please make linked tweets in threads show up in the app <3 thanks!

It's already a setting under Posts -> Embedding

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Does anyone else have the issue of the screen note turning off while in Awful? I thought it might be in the options, but no such luck. Uninstalling / reinstalling the app hasn't corrected it, either. I think it started some months ago.

Huge thanks for this, by the way! It's become my main way of accessing the forums for quite some time now, and easily the app I use most on my phone.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 15, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

There's a 'keep screen on' setting in the menu when you're reading a thread, make sure that isn't on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

baka kaba posted:

There's a 'keep screen on' setting in the menu when you're reading a thread, make sure that isn't on

Yeah, that's unchecked. I've never turned that on, but I'll see if toggling it fixes it.

Edit: toggling the option on and off fixed it. Strange place to put that option, though. Figured would be under settings / forum appearance and behavior, not under thread management.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 15, 2017