Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
llmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
good mangue ippo is a good boy and kamogawa should be in fuckin jail

hwordhan
Sep 27, 2012

Ask me about the taste of a video game character's breast milk!
Date Eiji 2.0 incoming Heartstopper Infinite Dempsey Madness

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Maybe he can make it about that one black dude he fought at the beginning, he had magic blackman powers

I bet he fucks

Kuros posted:

I think you mean RIppo

:smuggo:

lol

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

DeadBonesBrook posted:

1) The reason Ippo is ending is that the author is too sick to continue.

I know they seem to be vague about this stuff, but I only can find an article about him taking a few weeks off a bit ago. Is there more info on that, reason to think he currently is having health problems?

Also, is there any word that Ippo is ending soon? There seems to usually be word of that before it happens.

Ippo would still be cool even if from now on it's about him being a garbage man, like Men at Work.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 29, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

ElGroucho posted:

Maybe he can make it about that one black dude he fought at the beginning, he had magic blackman powers

I bet he fucks

ippo retired him iirc

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

He actually broke part of his back fighting ippo

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Make the series be about Mashiba from now on. Flicker jabs forever.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
This is the greatest manga of all time I love it.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
After 18 years fighting rejects from super punch out!!! Ippo develops a progressive degenerating brain disease which will cause him to push away all of the loved ones in his life, develop chemical dependency, and likelyncommit suicide, assuming he doesn’t become a vegetable first. The end, no moral.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

morikawa's favorite storyline from the WWE is chris benoit's actual life

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

this was a weird rear end time to catch up to this manga

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

he needs to do a reverse foxcatcher and brutally gun down kamogawa outside his house

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

He's gonna end up like Daniel Bryan, happily married and hosting a TV show or something!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I skimmed through the last 30 or so pages of the thread while i was on the last leg of the manga and since I was able to read everything all at once i didn't really have the same bitter reactions to stuff being dragged out because I didn't have to wait for chapters, but I definitely get the frustrations and criticisms of the story and pacing.

I still don't hate Kamogawa or anything, and I was still able to enjoy the story even in its lowest moments because I think it kept a few of the core elements and themes that made the story good in the first place, for me anyway. Repetitive at times, sure, but there was always hope for something greater. idk I was going to make a big post but I need some time to think about it, or maybe just leave it at that.

hopefully the rest of this is Hajime no Sendo

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

it's a good manga about boxing imo. If you skip the stupid fights

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

It’s legit great except for the fights against cartoon characters which unfortunately is like 300 chapters.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I randomly clicked on this thread when it turned out it was over. I still haven't read a single chapter, but maybe I will.

But I actually like the idea of the manga ending with the main character losing. Not everyone can succeed, and sometimes people fail. Someone compared this to Bleach, but the problem with poo poo like Bleach or DBZ or Naruto is that, if the characters fail then the world ends. Once you realize that, there's not really any stakes. I mean it can still be exciting and interesting but you always know in the back of your mind that the good guys are going to win.

The fact this was a manga about boxing, that it didn't apparently involve the fate of the world, or whatever, and that that led to it being kind of okay that the main character lost his final fight, is interesting (Though he had lost before as I understand it? It was just that this one was the big loss). I think it's a nice departure; that there are a ton of talented people who work hard, and most of them lose, so a manga being like 'oh, no, actually the main character loses. It happens, manga's over.', is honestly pretty interesting to me.

Note I say this with no experience of the manga itself, just the idea of the main character not accomplishing his goal is something interesting.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
there's like a billion stories out there where people fail to reach their dreams it's called real life

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
I've been busy with Nanowrimo, and I decided to take a peek at what was going on in this manga...

Really? That's how it's gonna end? I wouldn't dislike it as much if Morikawa didn't spend like a decade on title defenses against bozos, and then the cartoon fights like Woli's. Now we'll never see the Miyata fight, or a third one against Sendo.

I think the middle was the best part of the manga, with all the fights, but also comedy and some drama from the flashbacks from Coach and Nekota, poo poo like BroccoMan and learning more about the side-characters.

Ideally, Morikawa should've wrapped it up shortly after Ippo gaining the Japanese Title, and then handing the art/writing to some other authors for a new "World Champion" arc, while supervising the plots. We still would've gotten the stuff I mentioned above, but it would also probably sped up things a lot by cutting most of the chaff.

I only hope we get a Takamura or Sendo spin-off, because they're the characters I loved reading most about.

Edit:

Stallion Cabana posted:

Note I say this with no experience of the manga itself, just the idea of the main character not accomplishing his goal is something interesting.

Nothing bad with that kind of ending, but what happened here is that it lacked the necessary stakes to make it go out with a bang, instead we get our main character deflated like a kid's balloon. It would been more dramatic and satisfying to see him go down against Miyata or Sendo, instead of a no-name new challenger.

Yeah, I know that happens in boxing in real life, but this is not real life, and it's no excuse that Morikawa is wrapping the story in this way when he's had decades to set-up a better ending.

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 29, 2017

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I don't think the manga will end with Ippo's retirement here.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Stallion Cabana posted:

I still haven't read a single chapter, but maybe I will.

The anime is terrific, a good way to get into it.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

mabels big day posted:

I don't think so either.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

At first I was pissed at ippo losing to this no name but after reading the chapters I thought it provided a good reason for it.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

mabels big day posted:

Probably not. There’s 2 other boxers who have to have their crippling injuries catch up to them as well, and after that there’s always the option of a time skip and creed style continuation.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Monaghan posted:

At first I was pissed at ippo losing to this no name but after reading the chapters I thought it provided a good reason for it.

It’s an incrediblely good and powerful end to a story that’s only damnpened by the amount of foreshadowing that took place during a fight with Boy Tarzan, a magic child with super powers.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Coach is dying iPpos fighting under someone that doesn't know he's punch drunk

That's the only salvageable way out of this

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Ippo retires with brain damage and the coach dies of guilt (cancer) neither of them having achieved their life goals.

The end.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

The most tear breaking scene in the manga will be when the referee blames himself for Ippo's condition and retires.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I mean, coach is already suffering from Anime Blood-Coughing Disease (ABCD), so.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I mean, coach is already suffering from Anime Blood-Coughing Disease (ABCD), so.

I wasn't aware that was ever fatal.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is the unavoidable result of kamogawa huffing his own farts for his entire adult life

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Patware posted:

morikawa's favorite storyline from the WWE is chris benoit's actual life

lmao

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the final fight of this series will be ippos mom vs kamogawa ala the end of mgs4

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

Adnor posted:

The most tear breaking scene in the manga will be when the referee blames himself for Ippo's condition and retires.

To be honest, the referee from this manga SHOULD retire, and probably be sued for gross incompetence/reckless endangerment afterwards. The amount of times he's let blatant fouls go unanswered and let obviously seriously injured people keep fighting because of their BURNING SPIRIT is almost comical.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

LordNagash posted:

To be honest, the referee from this manga SHOULD retire, and probably be sued for gross incompetence/reckless endangerment afterwards. The amount of times he's let blatant fouls go unanswered and let obviously seriously injured people keep fighting because of their BURNING SPIRIT is almost comical.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The legendary sports shonen deconstruction, gentlemen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

According to /a/ morikawa wrote a haiku threatening the editors on the authors comments