Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Sloane is my waifu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Bungie should just rip out the game's movement system entirely and wholesale copy Titanfall 2 to replace it.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I'm gonna go out and say that Skyburner's Oath is actually a pretty decent exotic. Shield piercing is fun as hell and it's cool to have an automatic scout rifle with distinct firing modes. I agree it's not as exciting as say, Sunshot, but it definitely has an exotic feel.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Waffle House posted:

loving lol if this is a joke and even more lol if it's not

A quantum superposition of lore-driven lmao at your post

Ah, yes, the hunter that's so utterly important to Destiny 2 lore that I cannot find any reference of him or his existence anywhere in the game. That vitally important person who apparently did and said a bunch of stuff that shows up absolutely nowhere in Destiny 2. Was he even mentioned in that 1.5 hour Byf lore video?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Skoll posted:

Sloane is my waifu.

Only WH40K nerds like her.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Wheeee posted:

Bungie should just rip out the game's movement system entirely and wholesale copy Titanfall 2 to replace it.

I think the movement system is fine, the core gameplay mechanics of moving and shooting are very spot on.
There are too many jetpack CoD derivatives existing, I respect Titanfall 2 and think it's the best single player shooter since Half Life 2, but Destiny has its own identity and the core gameplay is single-handedly carrying it through rough times and not for the first time. Any changes to the way it feels would be too much.

Bring back titan skating though.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The core gameplay mechanics are fantastic. The problem is they toned down the power fantasy even from D1 when they should have gone the opposite direction.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Wheeee posted:

They're all dumb poorly written characters in a big budget game catered to the widest, dumbest demographic possible, but at least Cayde has some agency and does things.

Also just pretend his annoying personality is a coping mechanism for the existential nightmare that is living inside a cold robot body.

I'm not really up on the DEEP LORE, but isn't the number after an EXO's name something like "The amount of times you've had to format and reinstall Window Traveler home edition"?

JerikTelorian posted:

I'm gonna go out and say that Skyburner's Oath is actually a pretty decent exotic. Shield piercing is fun as hell and it's cool to have an automatic scout rifle with distinct firing modes. I agree it's not as exciting as say, Sunshot, but it definitely has an exotic feel.
I love this little baby gun and I'm very glad I spent every bit of glimmer I had at the time on the Red Legion skin for it :3:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 29, 2017

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Norns posted:

The core gameplay mechanics are fantastic. The problem is they toned down the power fantasy even from D1 when they should have gone the opposite direction.

Definitely. The Torrent modifier feels amazing, if they could have that on all the time with reduced damage so output is the same overall, it would make the game so much more satisfying to play. Our abilities need to be a much bigger portion of our damage output than it currently is.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Norns posted:

they need to lock whoever decided to make the game about literal space wizards more about tactical bullshit and plain weapons in a closet

more god killing and weapons that shoot six million rockets that break into eight million more rockets plz

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Definitely. The Torrent modifier feels amazing, if they could have that on all the time with reduced damage so output is the same overall, it would make the game so much more satisfying to play. Our abilities need to be a much bigger portion of our damage output than it currently is.

This, except Gunslinger Hunter may as well have no abilities at all. It's like, oh good I can dodge and throw knives every few seconds. Let me just chuck a few more of my "worst in class, game" tier grenades instead.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

one time i got a bike with a "reduced cooldown" modifier and briefly was mistaken it was another instant summon bike. it isn't. i literally have never had a problem summoning a bike almost instantly after i summon one, i cannot think of a trait more completely useless in the game

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Cowcaster posted:

one time i got a bike with a "reduced cooldown" modifier and briefly was mistaken it was another instant summon bike. it isn't. i literally have never had a problem summoning a bike almost instantly after i summon one, i cannot think of a trait more completely useless in the game
Same and same. Maybe there's a longer cooldown if your bike is destroyed vs. just letting it vanish?

Jeza posted:

This, except Gunslinger Hunter may as well have no abilities at all. It's like, oh good I can dodge and throw knives every few seconds. Let me just chuck a few more of my "worst in class, game" tier grenades instead.
Gunslinger nades suck so bad. Nades in general are pretty badly balanced.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Cowcaster posted:

Both times I've got exotic bikes from bright engrams, they've had this trait. :negative:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Norns posted:

if I could change 3 core things it would be

1. get rid of the ammo juggling poo poo, if I'm using sweet business and kill a buncha dudes those dudes should drop plenty of kinetic ammo for me to use.
2. make some non power ammo versions of shotguns/fusion rifles cuz those guns own bones to shoot, but not when they're competing against rocket launchers. then just go nuts and buff all the non-rocket launcher power ammo consuming weapons by a ton. make power ammo sniper rifle and shotgun shots pierce all enemies hit, fusion rifle shots bounce between everything like riskrunner chain lightning, grenade launchers get way spammier and fire more rounds for the ammo consumed, etc.
3. super, grenade, and melee ability recharge rate all increased by like 50%. torrent levels are way too high imo but you should be able to use your resources more than like 3 or 4 times in a strike.

lots and lots of other poo poo gotta be done to make strikes worthwhile, content replayable, loot more interesting, class ability balancing (just make hunter dodge activate regen) etc, but the shootmans is already really good and those three things would make it tops imo.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Jeza posted:

Gunslingers pretty much never have to reload during torrent if you have the reload-on-dodge ability on, but it doesn't make up for their poo poo grenades.

Also Tractor Cannon, Coldheart, and Sweet Business are all good exotics - exotics don't have to be OP like Sunshot, they can be weird and fun too. PvE benefits from more unique guns, even if they're not 'optimal'

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Elysiume posted:

Same and same. Maybe there's a longer cooldown if your bike is destroyed vs. just letting it vanish?
Gunslinger nades suck so bad. Nades in general are pretty badly balanced.

i didn't time it but i did mess around with it enough to know that the cooldown timer for bike summoning starts right after you summon a fresh one, and is something like 8 seconds long. that's what the reduced cooldown modifier effect messes with. so if you need a new bike faster than that, what a treat!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

wyoak posted:

Also Tractor Cannon, Coldheart, and Sweet Business are all good exotics - exotics don't have to be OP like Sunshot, they can be weird and fun too. PvE benefits from more unique guns, even if they're not 'optimal'

I also love Hard Light, the ricochet bullets are neat as hell.

Merciless is great for the sheer murder factor.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

wyoak posted:

Gunslingers pretty much never have to reload during torrent if you have the reload-on-dodge ability on, but it doesn't make up for their poo poo grenades.

As far as I can tell, reload dodge is genuinely useful only for handcannons et al. with treacle reload speeds. It's not even significantly faster than a normal reload and it's not like you're particularly pressured in PvE. I dunno. Honestly I wish they'd rip up half of Hunter and replace it. I just love the Golden Gun so I ignore the rest of my abilities. Once in a blue moon I'll throw a stupid dagger.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'd like it if:
-the hunter dodge reload reloaded all your guns, not just the currently equipped one
-the hunter knife throw didn't arc upwards over the crosshair when you throw it so it wasn't so goofy to aim so the refresh perk might actually be worth a drat
-all 3 grenades for the gunslinger weren't complete garbage

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Tokubetsu posted:

they need to lock whoever decided to make the game about literal space wizards more about tactical bullshit and plain weapons in a closet

more god killing and weapons that shoot six million rockets that break into eight million more rockets plz

I find it hilarious that they ripped apart Joe Staten's original game, a campy fun action romp with space wizards, to make a serious grimdark game about ~the light and the dark~.
And then campy Natan Fillion and Ship-chan steal the show because that poo poo is fun.

Cowcaster posted:

Yeah "Reduced Cooldown" is very misleading. It just means you don't need to wait as long to summon a new bike if yours was blown up. Because that happens all the time :rolleyes:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Kyrosiris posted:

I also love Hard Light, the ricochet bullets are neat as hell.

Merciless is great for the sheer murder factor.

merciless is a loving shredbeast in pve but unfortunately loses a majority of its luster in pvp

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

-all 3 grenades for the gunslinger weren't complete garbage

It doesn't make your point wrong, but in the very last IB match I played during the weekend I opened the game with a triple Tripwire Grenade kill, god it was so good.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

JerikTelorian posted:

I find it hilarious that they ripped apart Joe Staten's original game, a campy fun action romp with space wizards, to make a serious grimdark game about ~the light and the dark~.
And then campy Natan Fillion and Ship-chan steal the show because that poo poo is fun.
Ehhhh sorry but the grimdark elements in the lore are the best part.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Cowcaster posted:

merciless is a loving shredbeast in pve but unfortunately loses a majority of its luster in pvp

Yeah, that's fair; my gun combos change up a lot between the two - I tend to use Origin/Uriel's/Merciless in PVE stuff, and MIDA/MIDA/a sword in PVP.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Kyrosiris posted:

and MIDA/MIDA/a sword in PVP.

:argh:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jeza posted:

As far as I can tell, reload dodge is genuinely useful only for handcannons et al. with treacle reload speeds. It's not even significantly faster than a normal reload and it's not like you're particularly pressured in PvE. I dunno. Honestly I wish they'd rip up half of Hunter and replace it. I just love the Golden Gun so I ignore the rest of my abilities. Once in a blue moon I'll throw a stupid dagger.

Dodge/reload is super usefull in pumping out two quick rockets into something. The knife throw is kind of hilarious sometimes but only for how useless it is, because whenever I hit someone in pvp with it they do an Austin Powers pause for a second and obviously think to themselves "did this idiot actually manage to hit me with that?"

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Throwing knife sucks on kb+m because there's no aim assist to guide it into peoples heads like in D1.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Gunslingers are punished with having lovely everything in exchange for having an ult that does like 15k damage.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

So were shotguns and sniper rifles not power weapons in the first game? Because the fact that they are is making the game feel samey very fast. those are huge FPS staples and I never get to use them in this game. And no LMGs in the whole game? Those are always my go-to guns in shooters

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Dietrich posted:

Gunslingers are punished with having lovely everything in exchange for having an ult that does like 15k damage.

The first time you shoot something big with the hawk helmet on it all makes sense.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Digirat posted:

And no LMGs in the whole game?

http://db.destinytracker.com/d2/en/items/1345867570

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Look, I got killed enough by it that I wanted to figure out why, and when I started popping people for 44 damage headshots and pinpoint accuracy, I was sold. :v:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Yeah it's a good combo and I don't blame you for using it.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

three***************** new pvp maps in curse of osiris

*****************two new maps, playstation gets an exclusive map but it will still be advertised as three everywhere despite you not getting the third map for over a year

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

big nipples big life posted:

Yeah it's a good combo and I don't blame you for using it.

I think the moment that really sold me was a comp crucible match on the counterstrike ruleset where my team got wiped out but I got a sneaky charge plant and then 1v4 held it on match point. I felt like an absolute boss getting headshots while peeking when people tried to disarm, etc.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

So when is this blog post supposed to show up?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Hunters are basically the loser kids who weren't smart enough for Warlock school or badass enough for Titan school.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Norns posted:

Ehhhh sorry but the grimdark elements in the lore are the best part.

I like both. The Books of Sorrow is one of the best game lore texts I have read in a while.

Blog post eta is 5-6pm EST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Digirat posted:

So were shotguns and sniper rifles not power weapons in the first game? Because the fact that they are is making the game feel samey very fast. those are huge FPS staples and I never get to use them in this game. And no LMGs in the whole game? Those are always my go-to guns in shooters

Yeah. in D1 you had primaries, specials, and heavy weapons

primaries: scout, pulse, auto rifles and handcannons
specials: shotguns, sidearms, sniper rifles, fusion rifles
heavies: machine guns, rocket launcher, swords

so they split primaries into kinetic/energy, enforced weapon juggling (kinetic ammo drops while using energy weapons and vice versa, this was literally a nightfall modifier in destiny 1 that for some reason became a baseline gameplay addition), and then moved a ton of problematic to balance weapons for PvP in to special weapons so that you can't use them. then they removed machine guns and added grenade launchers. machine guns were basically sweet business as an entire class of weapons, from what I've seen of d1 videos.

Minera fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 29, 2017

• Locked thread