Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Mr.Boofu posted:

Would there be any interest if I started a kitchen sink mod pack server? Looks like most of the goon run servers outside of DPT are down. I wanted to try out one of the new 1.12 packs but hate playing single player.

Well, if it's more that you want 1.12, and not that you don't want DPT, then one thing I can say is "wait for it....".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
On this playthrough of Direwolf20 1.12, I wanted to get a Tier 1 Void Ore Miner up and running so I could start progressing towards a Tier 2 (each level being gated behind the previous). I realized I needed a bunch of diamonds and didn't have any coming in.

I set up my usual RFTools Quarry (Builder, with a Quarry shape card) and started strip mining a few chunks next to my base. Cranks out tons of coal and copper ores and other stuff that I didn't really need before I got down to the good Y-level where diamonds and whatnot were. While I was staring at it wishing that it would just skip down to the good Y-level, I realized I could do that manually by keying in the dimensions myself.

The max size of the quarry area is 512x512x512 - so I checked out the worldgen Y-dimensions of what I wanted, diamonds being between 0-20. So I set it to 512x20x512. Set the X and Z-offsets to 0, and the Y-offset to my current Y. Then started it up to see what Y-level it was starting at, then fixed the card up until it was running between 0-20. So now a giant flat rectangle down near bedrock was being excavated, and I got tons of diamonds without wasting time and RF on stripping out the stuff I didn't need. Also happened to generate a lot more draconium dust, lapis, redstone, and coal than I realized. Also tons of iron, lead, and silver, and decent amount of yellorium.

You could probably make a self-sufficient system just stripping out the coal to power generators - that might be a fun exercise to make resource outposts:

1. Builder quarry
2. Capacitor to bootstrap the power to start the system
3. Array of generators
4. Dump good stuff (diamonds, redstone, lapis, draconic) into an ender chest to be imported
5. Coal into generators
6. All else trashed - probably trashcan with a blacklist filter on (coal, diamond, etc)

You don't have to have any long distance power generation, or worry about a quarry sapping the power out of your main base.

What's the most efficient way to turn coal into RF? I guess from simple to complex it would be: Furnace Generator -> Steam Dynamo -> Steam Dynamo, importing steam generated by something else? It'd be nice if Furnace Generators did enough on their own

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Devor posted:

What's the most efficient way to turn coal into RF? I guess from simple to complex it would be: Furnace Generator -> Steam Dynamo -> Steam Dynamo, importing steam generated by something else? It'd be nice if Furnace Generators did enough on their own

The MOST efficient in that pack would probably be full Thermal Expansion -- melt coal in a magma crucible to make liquefacted coal. Process the liquefacted coal in a Fractionating Still to make Naphtha. Pipe the naphtha into resonant-upgraded compression dynamos with the boiler augment and max fuel efficiency upgrades, then pump the steam into steam dynamos with the turbine conversion augment.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Devor posted:

The comedy option for me was:
1. Tree farm (skip as you're yanking coal right out of the ground)
2. MFR steam generators (about 3 in this setup)
3. Big Reactors turbine using the steam

It's typical to have a reactor provide steam to a turbine, but it will accept steam from other sources. This was generating something near 1500 RF/tick using electrum coils; I considered it an intermediate solution and didn't want to go for the best coils around.

It's absolutely not portable so you have a big problem there.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The MOST efficient in that pack would probably be full Thermal Expansion -- melt coal in a magma crucible to make liquefacted coal. Process the liquefacted coal in a Fractionating Still to make Naphtha. Pipe the naphtha into resonant-upgraded compression dynamos with the boiler augment and max fuel efficiency upgrades, then pump the steam into steam dynamos with the turbine conversion augment.

That's pretty cool! I thought that fuel chain required Crude Oil, didn't realize you could Magma Crucible pulverized coal to start it. I'm pretty sure it's most efficient to take it all the way to Refined Fuel, and use the Ignition Plugs for 3M RF per bucket of Refined Fuel. Processing 20 coal into 1 bucket of Refined Fuel takes 270k RF, and yields 3M RF using 1 Augment slot for the Ignition Plugs augment.

Processing 20 coal into 1 bucket of Naptha takes 220k RF, and only yields 1250k RF using 0 augments (so add +15% since you could throw an efficiency in there) giving you 1437k RF

One extra Fractionating Still doubles the efficiency! Awesome.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Devor posted:

That's pretty cool! I thought that fuel chain required Crude Oil, didn't realize you could Magma Crucible pulverized coal to start it. I'm pretty sure it's most efficient to take it all the way to Refined Fuel, and use the Ignition Plugs for 3M RF per bucket of Refined Fuel. Processing 20 coal into 1 bucket of Refined Fuel takes 270k RF, and yields 3M RF using 1 Augment slot for the Ignition Plugs augment.

Processing 20 coal into 1 bucket of Naptha takes 220k RF, and only yields 1250k RF using 0 augments (so add +15% since you could throw an efficiency in there) giving you 1437k RF

One extra Fractionating Still doubles the efficiency! Awesome.

Oh, poo poo, I didn't even know you could refine it further. :shobon: Hot drat.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I happened upon a branch of my mine where I had not quite finished mining a vein of Destabilized Redstone, and the appearance of the tunnel gave me an idea...

Mr.Boofu
Mar 22, 2003
~_~

neogeo0823 posted:

Well, if it's more that you want 1.12, and not that you don't want DPT, then one thing I can say is "wait for it....".

You caught me I hate you guys! I want my $300 back.

Nah just antsy, I'm sure I'll be around DPT Act 5. I'll probably throw something up for a month or two in PGS.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Fortis posted:

I happened upon a branch of my mine where I had not quite finished mining a vein of Destabilized Redstone, and the appearance of the tunnel gave me an idea...

Hahaa nice

~ I'm playing that Lost Travels pack that someone here made and it's pretty fun. Only bug so far seems that the IE book makes the game crash lol, so i'm looking up things online instead.

Also not sure how i would go about making this into a MP server so my friends can join. Forge seems to generate a million warnings and errors if i just copy the mods from my single player game :S

Thx for the pack tho!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

Yet in Draconic evolution i have a storage system with 53B RF stored in only 2 days. and the largest storage is 2.14T RF and i had 2 of those before the server restart.

and I use enderio Farming stations with octa upgrades providing 40 different magic crops with only 2 pulsers under each crop but it has already over filled my ME system (luckily i am getting both quartz and fluix from the farms.

I was referring to items, not RF. Power generation is far easier to scale up and starts at a much higher rate compared to automated farming or quarrying. Filling an ME system with items isn't even that difficult, you can do that with just a few hundred thousand items which is just like 5 items per tick over an hour. Easily done with a high throughput cobblegen. Well I guess if you had fully upgraded Extra Cells in your drive it'd be difficult.

By comparison, a billion items at 100 items per tick would require 139 hours to complete.

On second thought it's probably not going to take months to generate billions of cobble. Just about any other resource will be at least an order of magnitude harder to get, though, which is where the months-years estimate comes from.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 28, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I was saddened to find that garden cloches cannot grow potatoes or carrots, so I set this monstrosity up instead to make Cellular Blocks for a dandelifeon.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Fortis posted:

What am I supposed to be seeing here, out of curiosity?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Wolpertinger posted:

What am I supposed to be seeing here, out of curiosity?

REDRUM

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech
Hey everyone, just wanted to drop in and let y'all know that I (finally) released all that new stuff that I'd been working on for the past 5 weeks or so. It's basically all just Thermal Expansion stuff, so here's the changelog if anyone is curious: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/CoFH/Version/master/thermalexpansion_changelog.txt

Basically it's 2 machines, 4 devices, a bunch of augments and rebalancing, and a lot of config options. Since there's been some discussion about energy generation and related machines, lemme go ahead and point out a couple things:

-The Monoculture Cycle augment for the Phytogenic Insolator is basically "Cloche Mode" - the non-fertilizer input (aka seed/sapling/whatever) doesn't get consumed. Still takes Phyto-Gro though. Having said that, the Fertilizer preserving augments are 20% each, so 3 of them is a 60% chance to not consume the Phyto-Gro.

-The Phytogenic Insolator had a bit of recipe rebalancing done to it. Trees don't absolutely "require" Rich Phyto-Gro now - almost all of them are 100% base secondary chance. Only the super secret magic ones in Twilight Forest are lower than this, and really do need Fluxed Phyto-Gro to guarantee/duplicate saplings.

-The Fractionating Still actually caught a bit of a nerf in that the amount of fuel created per step is now lower (200 -> 150 -> 100). However, I've added an augment to offset this and keep the old levels. The reason for this is basically to allow me some more relative balance points in fossil fuel refinement, to ostensibly integrate a bit better with other mods which also deal with Petroleum.

-The Pulverizer, Alchemic Imbuer (new), and Fractionating Still can be used to make IC2 biogas without actually having to deal with IC2.

-Also, the Tome of Knowledge is ridiculously useful, and can deal with fluid XP (you can fill/empty it like a bucket).

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Also, incidentally, KingLemming, nice job on that wiki. Documentation is such a rare thing these days, and even with Thermal Expansion's excellent JEI integration, the wiki is still answering some questions I had. Thanks!
Tonius has been working super hard on that, and I am absolutely thankful for his efforts. Meanwhile, the new release is gonna screw him up, lol.

Falcon2001 posted:

I know we all love KingLemming around here, but it is absolutely true that CofH and the Thermal mods are absolutely critical to Minecraft modding.
<3

KingLemming fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 29, 2017

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

McFrugal posted:

I was referring to items, not RF. Power generation is far easier to scale up and starts at a much higher rate compared to automated farming or quarrying. Filling an ME system with items isn't even that difficult, you can do that with just a few hundred thousand items which is just like 5 items per tick over an hour. Easily done with a high throughput cobblegen. Well I guess if you had fully upgraded Extra Cells in your drive it'd be difficult.

By comparison, a billion items at 100 items per tick would require 139 hours to complete.

On second thought it's probably not going to take months to generate billions of cobble. Just about any other resource will be at least an order of magnitude harder to get, though, which is where the months-years estimate comes from.

So my 10 Laser drills running full pelt with that RF isnt going to overfill my ME, before the restart i had a mega AE system with over 3000 64k drives
and 20 Deep storage.

Also almost got banned for mining out a 1000x1000 chunk of the nether by using ender quarry with world hole upgrade and speed 3

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Devor posted:

Awesome! I didn't realize that different trees would make different things from that, and arboreal extractors production recipes aren't explicitly in the in-game JEI.

I am gonna automate the hell out of some Fluxed Phyto-gro

They aren't explicitly in game, but they *are* there. The Sawmill tapper augment uses the same logic - X tree produces Y fluid, regardless of how you get it. The fluid is linked to the log block.

I can see about adding another JEI category though to make it more obvious.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

So my 10 Laser drills running full pelt with that RF isnt going to overfill my ME, before the restart i had a mega AE system with over 3000 64k drives
and 20 Deep storage.

Also almost got banned for mining out a 1000x1000 chunk of the nether by using ender quarry with world hole upgrade and speed 3

Okay that is not a normal number of drives. Overfilling THAT would take some effort. 2000 drives hold about a billion items if they're single-item drives.
10 laser drills won't be very fast unless they have a higher RF cap than I'm used to.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

KingLemming posted:

They aren't explicitly in game, but they *are* there. The Sawmill tapper augment uses the same logic - X tree produces Y fluid, regardless of how you get it. The fluid is linked to the log block.

I can see about adding another JEI category though to make it more obvious.

Cool. I don't always take the time to tab out and check the wiki when I'm trying to figure out how to get to point B from the various point A's I have available.

On that subject, the changelog says Substrate Augments are being removed from the Phytogenic Insulator? Is that all of them, or just the boring ones like sand or whatever? Because I did kind of like feeling smart by using the End Stone recipe to allow me to make the Ender Substrate to grow Ender Lillys without having to visit The End.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Mr.Boofu posted:

You caught me I hate you guys! I want my $300 back.

Nah just antsy, I'm sure I'll be around DPT Act 5. I'll probably throw something up for a month or two in PGS.

If you need help along any stage, gimme a ring. Also I'll want in, if the pack ain't something terrible :shepface:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'll probably log on to a 1.12 kitchen sink server and Dennis the Menace everybody in their bases by touching stuff and asking inconvenient questions. There's been so many changes going into 1.12 and I'm losing track of what people are talking about any more.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Devor posted:

Cool. I don't always take the time to tab out and check the wiki when I'm trying to figure out how to get to point B from the various point A's I have available.

On that subject, the changelog says Substrate Augments are being removed from the Phytogenic Insulator? Is that all of them, or just the boring ones like sand or whatever? Because I did kind of like feeling smart by using the End Stone recipe to allow me to make the Ender Substrate to grow Ender Lillys without having to visit The End.

There were only 3 - Mycelium, Nether, and End. I removed them basically because they didn't add anything to gameplay, and it became a question of consistency.

Like with ExU's plant that grows only on redstone ore - where's that fit? Do I make a new augment?

Ultimately the substrates were entirely an inconvenience and limitation, which...that's not really what augments are supposed to be about.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

KingLemming posted:

There were only 3 - Mycelium, Nether, and End. I removed them basically because they didn't add anything to gameplay, and it became a question of consistency.

Like with ExU's plant that grows only on redstone ore - where's that fit? Do I make a new augment?

Ultimately the substrates were entirely an inconvenience and limitation, which...that's not really what augments are supposed to be about.

Does that mean those seeds will work without the augment now? If you want consistency you could just have a slot to replace "dirt" when growing seeds in the machine.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

KingLemming posted:

A modder removing inconvenient limitations... :swoon:

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

McFrugal posted:

Does that mean those seeds will work without the augment now? If you want consistency you could just have a slot to replace "dirt" when growing seeds in the machine.
Yeah, all seeds do. Which really, it's a hydroponic machine, and Phyto-Gro is quasimagical so ehh, good enough. :)

dragonshardz posted:

A modder removing inconvenient limitations... :swoon:
That tends to be the goal, yes. :)

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Just don't ever let Forgecraft pieces of poo poo do to you what they did to Claire over similar.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

StealthArcher posted:

Just don't ever let Forgecraft pieces of poo poo do to you what they did to Claire over similar.

Did they ever actually convince her to do anything to MPS? I thought the most that happened was the multiple recipe sets.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

I'm assuming StealthArcher is talking about Clairetic, aka MachineMuse, who IIRC was invited to the Forgecraft server (where modding cool kids hang out and test their mods in a multiplayer environment, or used to anyway) and was harassed by Slowpoke to nerf poo poo in Modular Powersuits.

However I don't remember anything coming of it. I know MPS had multiple recipe sets based on different mods (I remember TE and IC2 sets, maybe there was also a GregTech one, and then a fallback Vanilla recipe set) to satisfy pretty much anyone, but I don't think she ever actually nerfed anything.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 29, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh i remember MPS, it was great

first decent glider in minecraft and a cool railgun to gain height

but yeah i don't remember any nerfing

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

KingLemming posted:

That tends to be the goal, yes. :)

Haven't you been paying attention? Every line of code you type is sacred, removing features is admitting defeat, and your value as a human being is directly proportional to how much your mod increases minecraft's startup time.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Nevets posted:

Haven't you been paying attention? Every line of code you type is sacred, removing features is admitting defeat, and your value as a human being is directly proportional to how much your mod increases minecraft's startup time.

Also he forgot to add clay for balance.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Also he forgot to add clay for balance.

I think Thermal Dynamics should have one type of tin ore and Thermal Expansion should have another.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

everything is made of clay, ender pearls, and nether stars

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

aaand dandelifeon

you don't NEED integrated dynamics to do this, but it sure helps

Mr.Boofu
Mar 22, 2003
~_~

StealthArcher posted:

If you need help along any stage, gimme a ring. Also I'll want in, if the pack ain't something terrible :shepface:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842070

This pack meets your definition of something terrible I'm sure. Just a placeholder to mess around with now. I really want to see how quick I can turn the server into an unplayable mess. If you have ideas for something not that terrible, tgharlan@gmail.com

The server fees aren't a concern, I won't bother people for $$$. I am one of those people that like kitchen sink packs, server performance be damned. I can hear Taffer making noises from over here.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

:stonk:

why are there chance cubes on the moon

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

There is a reason the moon is a lifeless rock.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I broke it. It turned into a baby mooshroom, then died because there is no oxygen on the moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Was there ominous droning near it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU4Rk0NATNs