Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

fruit on the bottom posted:

Have you read the book?

No he posted the relevant section here relating to "saving Venezuela" as a rebuttal to remittances, would you like to see it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
loving lol at exchanges having downtime

we can't afford good servers but we can totally cash you out to real money, pinky swear

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Nah I’m gonna buy the book and I’m sure I’ll see it

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Nah I’m gonna buy the book and I’m sure I’ll see it

It's self published junk from a rationalwiki editor, good luck, he also set up a patreon so that you can donate directly to his debunking efforts, aka reposting buttcoin posts on something awful

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
finna sell more load and FAST

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Hello, this is a few sentence summary of what I've been trying to explain to many goons since the summer

The buttcoin jokes are great, uhh, but in this case buttcoiners picked the wrong thing to make fun of, and now a bunch of fedora redditors that were being mocked made a ton of cash

yeah lol

but I can laugh at the fact that we were all wrong about the result while still not really feeling like we were wrong about whether it was a good investment or not

to me it's no different than if some blustery idiot said IM GONNA GO TO VEGAS AND BET IT ALL ON BLACK 5 TIMES IN A ROW BABY and then did it and won

wow feel like I'm just posting the same thing over and over to ham sandwiches this is really surprising

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's self published junk from a rationalwiki editor, good luck, he also set up a patreon so that you can donate directly to his debunking efforts, aka reposting buttcoin posts on something awful

Why do keep saying “rationalwiki editor” as if that’s supposed to be some sick burn that anyone cares about? I honestly don’t get it.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Stefan Prodan posted:

yeah lol

but I can laugh at the fact that we were all wrong about the result while still not really feeling like we were wrong about whether it was a good investment or not

to me it's no different than if some blustery idiot said IM GONNA GO TO VEGAS AND BET IT ALL ON BLACK 5 TIMES IN A ROW BABY and then did it and won

wow feel like I'm just posting the same thing over and over to ham sandwiches this is really surprising

Let me paraphrase real quick:
"I wasn't really wrong, in all my claims and predictions, which turned out to be incorrect, and anyone that listened to my advice would have lost money and anyone that ignored me would have made money. Anyway I feel I was still correct (lol) and somehow this is is your fault, Ham Sandwiches"

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Let me paraphrase real quick:
"I wasn't really wrong, in all my claims and predictions, which turned out to be incorrect, and anyone that listened to my advice would have lost money and anyone that ignored me would have made money. Anyway I feel I was still correct (lol) and somehow this is is your fault, Ham Sandwiches"

my man have you heard of the term "results based thinking"

you are also, as usual, putting "claims and predictions" in my mouth that I never made

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Why do keep saying “rationalwiki editor” as if that’s supposed to be some sick burn that anyone cares about? I honestly don’t get it.

It's a wiki all about debunking stuff and this is the latest thing they are debunking. They debunk -everything- it's what they do. So they applied that formula to cryptocurrencies, except it's not a scam or fraud to be debunked, so it's very entertaining to me.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I offered you like a $100 bounty to find a post where I ever said "nobody who invests in bitcoin will make money" or "it will never go up a bunch", and I still hold to that, if you can ever find me saying something like that then you can actually make money off bitcoin just like you always dreamed

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

It's crashing back down! SELL SELL SELL! Bad times are here again!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's a wiki all about debunking stuff and this is the latest thing they are debunking. They debunk -everything- it's what they do. So they applied that formula to cryptocurrencies, except it's not a scam or fraud to be debunked, so it's very entertaining to me.

Right, but whenever the book comes up you’re always posting “rationalwiki editor” like its some sort of perjorative in itself. That’s what stands out as so weird.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Right, but whenever the book comes up you’re always posting “rationalwiki editor” like its some sort of perjorative in itself. That’s what stands out as so weird.
Also "UNIX sysadmin" which is weird.

divabot's still made more money off cryptos than Hammy though, which is hilarious.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

It's crashing back down! SELL SELL SELL! Bad times are here again!

Wheres a link to see it go up and down?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

So the idea on Something Awful was to laugh at these earnest redditors with their fedoras and mining cryptocoins because they really, really thought they would be worth something. Drying strawberries, doing transactions on Mt Gox (which stands for magic cards!! lel)

And what I'm explaining is the guy leading the charge is a reddit mod of r/buttcoins, uses stories posted to the sub to inform his worldview, and is a rationalwiki debunker editor. So the person preparing the analysis is like, the mod of the forum to make fun of cryptos, and is the exact same earnest fedora redditor they would have been making fun of if he was in cryptos. Just in the other direction.

So in this case, this fedora redditor rationalwiki editor and wikipedia public spokesperson is their hero, delivering truthbombs about Cryptos (that turn out to be utterly wrong)

And the Unix Sysadmin is because he's neither a writer, nor a financial analyst, nor even a researcher, just an opinionated Unix admin wearing suspenders and giving you the Unix Admin opinion on Cryptos, which is pretty drat worthless

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tenzarin posted:

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitcoin/#charts

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Ham Sandwiches posted:

And the Unix Sysadmin is because he's neither a writer, nor a financial analyst, nor even a researcher, just an opinionated Unix admin wearing suspenders and giving you the Unix Admin opinion on Cryptos, which is pretty drat worthless

I must have missed your resume in the thread history.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

H2SO4 posted:

I must have missed your resume in the thread history.

That's because I didn't provide it. I also didn't mod reddit r/bitcoinsaregreat. I didn't host the cryptocurrency wiki. I didn't write a self published book nor do I have a patreon for you to donate to! These are all things I didn't do.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

https://www.coingecko.com/en

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

So the idea on Something Awful was to laugh at these earnest redditors with their fedoras and mining cryptocoins because they really, really thought they would be worth something. Drying strawberries, doing transactions on Mt Gox (which stands for magic cards!! lel)

And what I'm explaining is the guy leading the charge is a reddit mod of r/buttcoins, uses stories posted to the sub to inform his worldview, and is a rationalwiki debunker editor. So the person preparing the analysis is like, the mod of the forum to make fun of cryptos, and is the exact same earnest fedora redditor they would have been making fun of if he was in cryptos. Just in the other direction.

So in this case, this fedora redditor rationalwiki editor and wikipedia public spokesperson is their hero, delivering truthbombs about Cryptos (that turn out to be utterly wrong)

lol so many words wasted on trying to defend the weakest burns imaginable

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

holy lol at this crash

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

WELCOME TO GOON COURT JUDGE fruit on the bottom PRESIDING

Your honor I submit that divabot is the assisted living dracula of wikipedia, as proven by exhibit a *farts*

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Ham Sandwiches posted:

So far it sounds like none of this is rooted in the arguments themselves but on his personal qualifications. I don’t know if that technically counts as ad hominem but we’re definitely still paying HOA dues.

None of this tells me about the quality of the arguments though.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Uranium 235 posted:

holy lol at this crash

how long until the exchanges suffer from "server problems"?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Uranium 235 posted:

holy lol at this crash

No.... Noooo.... My Nintendo Switch!!!

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Ham Sandwiches posted:

That's because I didn't provide it. I also didn't mod reddit r/bitcoinsaregreat. I didn't host the cryptocurrency wiki. I didn't write a self published book nor do I have a patreon for you to donate to! These are all things I didn't do.

But you're the final arbiter on bitcoin and financial speculation opinions? Neat.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

QuarkJets posted:

WELCOME TO GOON COURT JUDGE fruit on the bottom PRESIDING

Your honor I submit that divabot is the assisted living dracula of wikipedia, as proven by exhibit a *farts*

I’ll allow it, but watch yourself counselor.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Random infodump for newbies normal people who don't follow this crap. Bitcoin doesn't actually have a "price". The big sites basically take an average of what the large bitcoin exchanges are trading for.

Imagine people were telling you what the value of an ounce of gold was, based on how the dollar is doing in international currency exchanges.

It's kind of like that?

Also since you can't instantly transact bitcoin, prices are totally meaningless. Exchanges make a vague promise to lock in your dollar amount when you hit the sell button, but they've refused service during crashes before. It will happen again.

H2SO4 posted:

loving lol at exchanges having downtime

we can't afford good servers but we can totally cash you out to real money, pinky swear

Crash is a little strong? The market is just insanely volatile. Like the sort of bubble speculation right before a gigantic crash that will cause people to suicide volatile.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Ham Sandwiches posted:

you also don't understand basic facets of how bitcoin works and still espouse its greatness at every turn

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

H2SO4 posted:

But you're the final arbiter on bitcoin and financial speculation opinions? Neat.

I'm a guy chiming in on a GBS thread on cryptos, from time to time. Posting that I believe the arguments that they are a scam / ponzi are really overstated. Shocking stuff.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this like Economic Bubbles 101 here? To a layperson (me) this looks pretty textbook, no?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

So far it sounds like none of this is rooted in the arguments themselves but on his personal qualifications. I don’t know if that technically counts as ad hominem but we’re definitely still paying HOA dues.

None of this tells me about the quality of the arguments though.

Well if you read the Venezuela excerpt posted here, it was exactly the sort of unresearched, unedited, 0 attempt at a fair understanding style of discourse that works fine on r/buttcoins and not so well in a self published book that is meant to be a treatise on the topic.

It's ok he'll be debunking AI next if people donate to the patreon enough and he gets enough TV time, so hopefully we've witnessed the rise of the Unix James Randi.

Perhaps you can weigh in with your thoughts on the book when you read it?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Inept posted:

you also don't understand basic facets of how bitcoin works and still espouse its greatness at every turn

You literally made up that I didn't know about the transaction limit, is "making stuff up that isn't true" an important argument technique for you

Tell me bro, how did you decide that I didn't know about the transaction limit from the posts where I was trying to ask people what happens when we exceed it?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
https://www.worldcoinindex.com/coin/bitcoin shows it going even deeper.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this like Economic Bubbles 101 here? To a layperson (me) this looks pretty textbook, no?

Some people feel that cryptos are not simply a worthless bubble and have some uses, others are sure they are, I think the answer should become clear over time.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I'm just gonna assume lots of people are trying to cash out considerable sums of real money and the exchanges were not equipped for it.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

EorayMel posted:

I'm just gonna assume lots of people are trying to cash out considerable sums of real money and the exchanges were not equipped for it.
many exchanges have gone down during extremely high volume times. this has happened several times before

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Sure will. Though I’m reading the Grant biography that came out recently so I probably won’t even get there before 2018.

Also I was under the impression that the AI would be more the “Rocco’s Basilisk” type and less so the more pragmatic ones actually in use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I do kinda wish bitcoin had a phenomenon like being locked limit down for 2 weeks just to watch everyone sweat if it crashes

instead I guess it''ll happen in like a day or two span if it does