Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Does anyone know if that trying to impress Death stuff is in these movies cuz if so I'm down that sounds like hilarious motivation. And if it's cate blanchett then hey I get it Josh I get it

Nah, Death exists outside our reality in Marvel. Blanchett is Hela the ruler of Hel out of Norse mythology. She's a death god, but not Death.

Thanos's big thing is to kill the entire universe to present to Death as a courting gift.

Fun fact, Thanos *hates* Deadpool because Death actually loves Deadpool and not Thanos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Proteus Jones posted:

Nah, Death exists outside our reality in Marvel. Blanchett is Hela the ruler of Hel out of Norse mythology. She's a death god, but not Death.

Thanos's big thing is to kill the entire universe to present to Death as a courting gift.

Fun fact, Thanos *hates* Deadpool because Death actually loves Deadpool and not Thanos.

However, there have been persistent rumors that Hela's character has been merged with Death for the MCU.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Trailer looks alright but god I hate that Avengers theme. It's so loving cheap.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cythereal posted:

However, there have been persistent rumors that Hela's character has been merged with Death for the MCU.

Hela is currently with Thanos (or was in the Thor books) in the comic books so I could see them doing this.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Thanos sounds like a Nice Guy™.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Thanos killing EVERYTHING as a giant NOTICE ME SENPAI to Death is awesome but there's no way they have the balls to make that the thing. DO THEY?

Someone photoshop that rick and morty loyalty card thing with Thanos' face and a bunch of avenger heads on the card with X__X for eyes.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Isn't Thanos' thing that he also subconsciously wants to lose.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
see if they actually include any of that I'm down. if only we could combine Marvel's dull competence with DC's willingness to try stupid misguided poo poo

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Thanos sounds like a Nice Guy™.

Thanos would definitely carry Death's printer.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Does anyone know if that trying to impress Death stuff is in these movies cuz if so I'm down that sounds like hilarious motivation. And if it's cate blanchett then hey I get it Josh I get it

They definitely referenced it in the first Avengers post-credits scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2IrXN9gho4

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
As someone who doesn't really read comic books, Thanos looks really dumb

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Mierenneuker posted:

Holy moly.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why are these extra-terrestrial thing all so humanoid. Thanos should just be a sentient omnipotent puddle of goop. Somebody mentioned Shuma-Gorath in the other thread, it would totally make the universe less lame.

In one of the comics Charles Xavier turned into this thing so why not

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
OH god I just remembered the D.C. Movies big bad is just another boring colored CGI humanoid dude too isn't he
It's just like the stupid hobbit movies someone have some creativity for once, like imagine if "Thanos" was just literally Christopher Lee (rip) and you already have a better and scarier villain

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

OH god I just remembered the D.C. Movies big bad is just another boring colored CGI humanoid dude too isn't he
It's just like the stupid hobbit movies someone have some creativity for once, like imagine if "Thanos" was just literally Christopher Lee (rip) and you already have a better and scarier villain

I don't think we've seen him appear yet, but...

Obviously, that is before the armored outfit and grimdark paint-job he'd get in a modern day comic book movie.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Didn't Kirby create both Darkseid and Thanos?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Proteus Jones posted:

Didn't Kirby create both Darkseid and Thanos?

No, Starlin created Thanos (taking after Kirby, like everyone else in comics).

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Infinity War is going to own, bunch of jaded soulless wannabe film snobs itt

It's being done by the Russos and they handled Civil War great. (Unless of course you don't even like the Marvel films, in which case why do you care in the first place?)

Deakul fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 29, 2017

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
Frankly, I'm sticking with calling Thanos "Prune Willis" from now on. I honestly wonder what Marvel Studios' thinking was when they decided to extend their "no helmets" policy to the giant purple CGI man whose only memorably distinctive facial feature is his giant wrinkly-rear end chin.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The big ensemble Marvel movies are the worst ones. I think the maximum should be two main superheroes (a third one can have a cameo but that's it). I did some science and that's the right number.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Supercar Gautier posted:

The big ensemble Marvel movies are the worst ones. I think the maximum should be two main superheroes (a third one can have a cameo but that's it). I did some science and that's the right number.

So avengers 1 and civil war are the worst Marvel movies? Lol ok

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Mierenneuker posted:

Wow this CGI looks like rear end

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Deakul posted:

So avengers 1 and civil war are the worst Marvel movies? Lol ok

And Ultron, yeah.

No, Civil War is mid-level. Some good stuff, some bad stuff.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

LesterGroans posted:

And Ultron, yeah.

No, Civil War is mid-level. Some good stuff, some bad stuff.

So this is what delusion looks like in text form, neat. I can agree about Ultron but not the other two.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Deakul posted:

So this is what delusion looks like in text form, neat. I can agree about Ultron but not the other two.

"You're delusional! ...except I agree with you about one movie and like another one a little more than you!"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Deakul posted:

gonna need more eyes to roll at this post lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Deakul posted:

It's being done by the Russos and they handled Civil War great. (Unless of course you don't even like the Marvel films, in which case why do you care in the first place?)

Actually comic book movies are bad. What's soulless here is the Disney cinema franchise machine and the sad goobers that feed it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Actually comic book movies are bad. What's soulless here is the Disney cinema franchise machine and the sad goobers that feed it.

Insert an ensemble sing-along musical number into the middle of Infinity War and I'll forgive Disney for unleashing "Let It Go."

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
soulless man here, if only I was more into comic book movies....

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Deakul posted:

Civil War was good, but both Avengers movies were pretty disappointing. They were just not memorable at all.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hey, remember this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXHrCBkIxQQ

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

I like this trailer much better than the Spacey one.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

lol

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi46nLoIo6E
joaquin jesus, please save us

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Woof. Awful.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

You guys think this movie will have a full frontal Jesus/Mags smash scene?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

That is a terrible trailer. Utterly terrible.

Nobody can save this film from the taint of The Weinstein

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 29, 2017

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Brolin Thanos doesn't really thrill me I dunno why. I'm not really familiar with the "canon", is he generally just a dry character? Brolin seems bored

He's sadly gone more in that direction over the past few years to make him more threatening, I guess. Thanos from the original Infinity Gauntlet (which is what this is based on) was extremely flamboyant and boisterous. He was known as the mad titan and would constantly be depicted with this galactic gleam in his eye and a poo poo eating grin to illustrate how nutso and obsessed he was with death. The whole thing was sort of built like a Greek tragedy (appropriate since he's supposed to be the Marvel universe's version of Thanatos) where he was so ridiculously hubristic that he thought he could take on the literal personifications of time and space just because his love for death was so loving strong.

Very :goonsay: I know, but I really love that comic for how actually well-defined that character is despite him being totally ridiculous. Him going more in the direction of generic menacing/calculated alien warlord is disappointing. But Josh Brolin is cool, so maybe it'll work out.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, I was gonna say, the depiction of Thanos here doesn't match up with my impression of him in the comics in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Mary Magdalene looks like the sequel to We Are Your Friends.

• Locked thread