Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrathtor
Sep 15, 2017

late to the party

frosteh posted:

I'm dumb and didn't take a picture of the return label on my trade-in. Has anyone here sent a trade-in and if so how long did it take to say received on the Fi website? It's been about 6 days and according to their website it looks like they're still waiting on it.

I got an email saying that they received my device the day after I sent it in September. I mailed it through FedEx in the morning and had to buy a box (my replacement device was overnighted), so I wonder if that had something to do with the speed with which they notified me. I think the person who processed my package was able to update the order associated with my return label or something, which wouldn't have happened had I just dropped it off and left.

The refund didn't process for a couple weeks and the old device showed in my Project Fi Account for about 3 weeks. I wouldn't hesitate to contact support if it gives you peace of mind. They're generally very friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I am assuming that Google is verifying that your old phone actually does as you stated prior to issuing you credit. To me that explains why the money is not credited as soon as the pickup scan happens.

I just got my Pixel 2, about 10 days faster than the initial shipping estimate. Transition from my 5x was pretty painless via USB.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Anyway, is there a goon consensus on a protective case for the X4?
There aren't a whole lot of choices for the X4, so last week I gave up and ordered this Spigen TPU case for it. It looks adequate on a blue X4, and the buttons don't take much more pressure to fully depress.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I have the same case, it's minimal enough and lays flat on its back now instead of on the camera. Doesn't add much size and is way less slippery.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Glass of Milk posted:

I updated my 6p to 8.0 and had no problems- my battery issues predated that update and didn't get fixed by it. My second 6p came with 8.0 and randomly rebooted, so YMMV I guess?

Looks like I waited too long. The system update for 8.0 disappeared, checking for system updates states that I'm up to date on 7.1.2 with August security.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hughmoris posted:

Looks like I waited too long. The system update for 8.0 disappeared, checking for system updates states that I'm up to date on 7.1.2 with August security.

Shortly after that post I got the system update notification again. :tinfoil:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Haven't received an update on my 6P since August, just 2 days ago got the 8.0 update...

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I'm posting here as well as the Android thread because googling suggests that it also affects (affected?) Google Fi users who ported their Google Voice numbers. I was using my Google Voice number on WhatsApp, it verified just fine on October 31st, wouldn't get the SMS but they called and I got the verification code there instead. Now, after wiping my phone (custom ROM, but also happens on a 2nd stock phone) when I type in my Google Voice number it immediately says that it couldn't do it on both the SMS and call options and to wait an hour. I've waited and re-tried 5+ times, but it is still not working.

Any trick to getting this to work? Was I just very lucky that it worked on Oct 31st?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Just posting to say I really like my Moto X4. Been using it for a few days now, battery life is super good, it's got a smooth interface, and the thumbprint reader is way better than I was expecting (super easy to use).

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
How's the camera? Wife wants an upgrade from her 5x, but I wasn't sure if she should go with the pixel 2 instead.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

Just posting to say I really like my Moto X4. Been using it for a few days now, battery life is super good, it's got a smooth interface, and the thumbprint reader is way better than I was expecting (super easy to use).

I'm really enjoying mine too. And seconding all of the items you mentioned - especially the battery life, this thing lasts forever.

Glass of Milk posted:

How's the camera? Wife wants an upgrade from her 5x, but I wasn't sure if she should go with the pixel 2 instead.

My Moto camera app recently updated and I can tell a pretty big difference with screen lag while moving the phone around with the camera app open. Before the patch it seemed kind of sluggish, then after the patch there's almost no lag at all. Picture quality seems about the same (good but not great).

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I'm on a PixelXL on Fi, over the last week or so, I've noticed much higher data usage over the past week, especially on Pocket Casts, which is /really/ strange, because I always had Pocket Casts set to /never/ download podcasts when off Wifi.

Fi app is reporting nearly 300 MB of usage today, and I've not done /any/ downloading off wifi. Is this happening to anyone else?

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

maltesh posted:

I'm on a PixelXL on Fi, over the last week or so, I've noticed much higher data usage over the past week, especially on Pocket Casts, which is /really/ strange, because I always had Pocket Casts set to /never/ download podcasts when off Wifi.

Fi app is reporting nearly 300 MB of usage today, and I've not done /any/ downloading off wifi. Is this happening to anyone else?

I'm also on Pixel XL on Fi and use Pocket Casts everyday (wifi only like you), and I'm not seeing any data used.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Weird. At any rate, for the rest of my billing period (up to the 20th), I wound up killing all my auto-downloads, just to be certain. Also sent support an email, and was told that they'd credit $5 to my account. I'm honestly not sure what happened last billing period. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on things this billing period.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I am really pleased with the battery life on this new Pixel 2. I know I probably sound like a corporate shill for being happy enough to actively post about it but it's so good.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

maltesh posted:

over the last week or so, I've noticed much higher data usage

I noticed much higher data usage recently which I suspect is due to Facebook and FB Messenger. I turned on Data Saver and that seems to have lowered my data to acceptable amounts. Have you tried that yet? You can give apps unrestricted data use on a per app basis.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
No-root firewall is awesome for straight up denying apps data access until they're manually approved, once you're past the pain in the rear end initial mass-whitelisting of everything you actually use.

A lot of lovely freemium games are made positively bearable with no ability to load ads to show you...

maltesh
May 20, 2004

MonkeyFit posted:

I noticed much higher data usage recently which I suspect is due to Facebook and FB Messenger. I turned on Data Saver and that seems to have lowered my data to acceptable amounts. Have you tried that yet? You can give apps unrestricted data use on a per app basis.

Yeah, I've had DataSaver on since I cracked 300MB in a day. WIll have to look into that whitelisting.

Over the past ten days my data usage has been more in line with what I expected (300 MB total.) Pocket Cast's usage is what I'd expect with it checking the large number of Podcast RSS Feeds instead of downloading episodes, so things seem to be back to relatively normal.

Still unsure what really happened.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Welp, glad I traded in my 5x for a Moto x4!

https://np.reddit.com/r/ProjectFi/comments/7g729d/psa_if_you_have_a_5x_with_device_protection_you/

PSA: If you have a 5X with device protection you should cancel it today after talking to Customer Support self.ProjectFi
Submitted 23 hours ago by diearzte2

quote:

Damaged my phone this morning and went to file a claim. Customer Support informed me that they had none left and only two options:
We can offer you $100 Google Store Credit after your deductible (which is $69)-- that you can use towards anything currently available on the Google Store, including new devices -- OR a check from Assurant, mailed to you, in the amount of $59.
Really upset right now, this basically amounts to fraud. Paid for device support for almost 2 years and am being offered either a $31 store credit or a $59 check.
Cancelling my account as I've had nothing but problems with Project Fi support. Had high hopes for Fi but they've been worse than any other wireless provider I've had to deal with.
If you have a 5X with device protection, you should get your check and stop paying for it today otherwise you're really just throwing away money.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

frosteh posted:

I'm dumb and didn't take a picture of the return label on my trade-in. Has anyone here sent a trade-in and if so how long did it take to say received on the Fi website? It's been about 6 days and according to their website it looks like they're still waiting on it.

I just received confirmation today that Google received my phone, almost four weeks after I had mailed it.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Welp, glad I traded in my 5x for a Moto x4!

https://np.reddit.com/r/ProjectFi/comments/7g729d/psa_if_you_have_a_5x_with_device_protection_you/

PSA: If you have a 5X with device protection you should cancel it today after talking to Customer Support self.ProjectFi
Submitted 23 hours ago by diearzte2

Moto X4 looks nice and I think I'm gonna go with that phone if I'm itching for a replacement next year.

I never bother with device protection, though I was tempted after cracking my Nexus 5's screen a couple years ago. I realized I get by fine by buying good phone cases and paying way more attention to what I'm doing with my phone. The cracked screen was the result of me going to put my phone in my pocket while being distracted, missing completely, and watching the phone smack into the concrete on its edge. Had the phone been in a case, the screen likely would have survived.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

DizzyBum posted:

Moto X4 looks nice and I think I'm gonna go with that phone if I'm itching for a replacement next year.

I never bother with device protection, though I was tempted after cracking my Nexus 5's screen a couple years ago. I realized I get by fine by buying good phone cases and paying way more attention to what I'm doing with my phone. The cracked screen was the result of me going to put my phone in my pocket while being distracted, missing completely, and watching the phone smack into the concrete on its edge. Had the phone been in a case, the screen likely would have survived.

I really like my X4. I came from a Nexus 6, so I'm excited to have a phone that fits in my drat pocket again (and my cupholder). Sleek, snappy, all day charge. I can be at 25% battery and not even worry. I just wish the Fi version was 64GB instead of 32GB + sd card slot.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yeah I'm 3 weeks deep into the x4 and I like it quite a lot.

They received my Nexus 5x for tradein 21 days ago, and still haven't billed me for the Moto x4?? I signed up for financing and haven't heard boo yet.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

topenga posted:

I really like my X4. I came from a Nexus 6, so I'm excited to have a phone that fits in my drat pocket again (and my cupholder). Sleek, snappy, all day charge. I can be at 25% battery and not even worry. I just wish the Fi version was 64GB instead of 32GB + sd card slot.

Storage space isn't a concern for me, luckily.

Wow, the last time I owned a phone with an SD card slot was the HTC Thunderbolt. I've been all Nexus since then (4, 5, 5X).

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I got $50 deducted off of my Nexus 5X trade-in for no apparent reason. Sent an email, haven't heard back yet.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

My Nexus 5x broke and I got burned by device protection program. I'm pretty pissed about it as the offered amount is not nearly enough to get a replacement device, so in what sense was I "protected" against loss of phone?

This is the second time that the device protection plan let me down. The first time, it took 2 weeks for them to send a replacement for my wife's phone, because they had some back-end bug related to group plans (the device protection was listed on my name but the phone on her name). Even the highest level of customer service rep was apparently unable to just grab a Nexus 5x, put it in the mail, and work out the details later - they were apparently completely bound by the back-end bug that wouldn't allow them to trigger the shipping out of a replacement phone, even though they wanted to.

tl;dr I am MAD ONLINE about Fi's device protection program and would not recommend it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It really reminds me of Sprint's insurance program, where paying an $X/month would get you a refurb for a deductible of say $150, whereas without they had no option for you.

Does any cell carrier have an actually good insurance offering?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Isn't Squaretrade pretty much the standard? Like, insure the phone separately, because in-house plans are garbo?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Takoluka posted:

Isn't Squaretrade pretty much the standard? Like, insure the phone separately, because in-house plans are garbo?

I just looked at their website, and it's impossible to find any information about plan details :confused: it also seems slightly more expensive than the Project Fi one, but probably has better service/coverage.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

alnilam posted:

My Nexus 5x broke and I got burned by device protection program. I'm pretty pissed about it as the offered amount is not nearly enough to get a replacement device, so in what sense was I "protected" against loss of phone?

This is the second time that the device protection plan let me down. The first time, it took 2 weeks for them to send a replacement for my wife's phone, because they had some back-end bug related to group plans (the device protection was listed on my name but the phone on her name). Even the highest level of customer service rep was apparently unable to just grab a Nexus 5x, put it in the mail, and work out the details later - they were apparently completely bound by the back-end bug that wouldn't allow them to trigger the shipping out of a replacement phone, even though they wanted to.

tl;dr I am MAD ONLINE about Fi's device protection program and would not recommend it.

This is exactly what they told me when I talked to a supervisor - she explained that the system would not let her even try to start an RMA for my phone.

I'm just glad my wife got her 5X fixed before this nonsense started. Neither of us had protection plans, but I feel bad for those that paid for one and are now getting heavily screwed over.

I'm curious - has anyone done a successful phone replacement with Fi's protection plan that WASN'T a Nexus 5X?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

DizzyBum posted:

This is exactly what they told me when I talked to a supervisor - she explained that the system would not let her even try to start an RMA for my phone.

I'm just glad my wife got her 5X fixed before this nonsense started. Neither of us had protection plans, but I feel bad for those that paid for one and are now getting heavily screwed over.

I'm curious - has anyone done a successful phone replacement with Fi's protection plan that WASN'T a Nexus 5X?

They replaced my brother's 6P with a Pixel XL when he got the battery bug. This was right after google stopped blanket replacing all malfunctioning 6P's with XL's.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've had a Nexus 5x and two Pixels replaced by Fi, no problems. Bootloop on the 5x, broken screen on the Pixel, and the replacement Pixel had a bad microphone. Or was the the 5x with the microphone? I don't remember, they seemed to take care of it pretty quickly. The 5x issues were back when people still thought it was a good phone, though.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
My wife got her 5x replaced with a new one outside of any protection plan. I got my 6p replaced with a Pixel XL back when they were doing a lot of those.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Does any cell carrier have an actually good insurance offering?

They're pretty much all Asurion, and Asurion is a blazing dumpster fire of garbage policies.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

People always argue with me when I tell them phone insurance isn't a good idea. I don't think they realize it's usually not a new, free replacement, but instead a refurb after an absurd deductible ONLY if there's no water damage. I don't know if things got better since I last looked, but yeah.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

azurite posted:

People always argue with me when I tell them phone insurance isn't a good idea. I don't think they realize it's usually not a new, free replacement, but instead a refurb after an absurd deductible ONLY if there's no water damage. I don't know if things got better since I last looked, but yeah.

Assume your phone is on a two year cycle, $5 per month is $120 over two years.

Your phone never breaks, you're out $120.

Replacement is $80.

Crack your screen once, its $200 over two years.

What else could happen? I don't know. I've broken one screen in 7+ years of using Androids.

Google will charge you $129.99 to replace the screen on a Pixel 1, and $80 to repair the charging port.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

azurite posted:

applecare is the only phone insurance plan that I've ever seen that isn't downright awful (although not terribly helpful for Project Fi users)

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Granted, Fi's phone insurance is pretty cheap. I think some carriers still ask for close to $10/mo. I still would rather use the significant amount of money I would've spent on insurance towards a new phone, whether it's because I broke my old one or not. I do acknowledge that this is not economically feasible for a lot of people.

In my 10 years of smartphoning, I've never broken any, so that also works in my favor.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
A few credit cards include phone insurance for free if you pay your cell phone bill with that specific card.

The BarclayCard Uber card and every Wells Fargo card have it with a $25 deductible, the Chase Ink Business Preferred has it with a $100 deductible. I'm sure there's other cards as well. No idea about the quality of service you get with these programs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

THF13 posted:

The BarclayCard Uber card and every Wells Fargo card

nah im good