Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
W build works pretty good if you want to do PvE real good which is not always but sometimes it's good for BoE or ToD. Chew up an immortal or claim towers real quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah, the W build is pretty damned fun in vs AI. particularly if you can get a stim drone and a full stack of kills on your quest.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Midnightghoul posted:

Valla and Greymane need to be next to eat nerfs. If they want to have all recent reworks and new assassins have clear pros and cons, you can't have two that just do most everything.

Ideally nerf everyone until Gazlowe is viable in pro play
Greymane's a popular hero in HL but his winrate is unremarkable at every level of play. Since Heroes 2.0, Greymane has been the third most popular hero in tournaments with a 45% win rate over 968 matches. Why should Blizzard nerf an average hero?

MVP Black drafted Gazlowe in HGC Korea and Super Perfect Team drafted him in HGC China. One day NA will steal the secret Asian strats and then we will be as gods.

Kai Tave posted:

If they're gonna bring Greymane into the shop they could also stand to look at his talents because he suffers from a pretty serious case of single-build-itis. Is there ever a reason to not just go full cocktail build, plus Hunter's Blunderbuss at 20? Pretty much the only real choice you seem to have to make is whether you pick Go For the Throat or Cursed Bullet.
Psalm's Greymane guide goes into his alternative talent builds.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

BrianBoitano posted:

Yes they removed talents but it's pretty disingenuous to omit the new survivability talents:

Fair enough, I stand corrected. That'll teach me for skimming the patch notes. Still not a fan of moving so much of her power to siege mode but on the bright side it might mean Zuljin stays viable for a while despite his nerf. :v:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Hanzo is the most boring, awkward, and lovely character I have ever played in a MOBA. Considering how much people bitch about him in Overwatch, this pleases me.

Literally the only cool thing about Hanzo is his scatter arrow, something that doesn't loving matter because it's such a pain in the rear end to use even after hours of practice.

Kith fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 29, 2017

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

edit: double post, somehow

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Fair enough, I stand corrected. That'll teach me for skimming the patch notes. Still not a fan of moving so much of her power to siege mode but on the bright side it might mean Zuljin stays viable for a while despite his nerf. :v:

Yeah it's a pretty clear case of "designing to fit usage" instead of "designing to change usage"

She played poorly when you imagined her siege to do more dps. Now that it actually does, the learning curve will be steeper between "siege no matter what" and picking the right time to siege, since the incremental benefit is low.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Everything about her suggests that siege is more powerful... her current live design is highly unintuitive and is a permanent noob trap especially for anyone who's played Starcraft.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

No Wave posted:

Everything about her suggests that siege is more powerful... her current live design is highly unintuitive and is a permanent noob trap especially for anyone who's played Starcraft.

Isn't the reworked version live?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Pretty sure that stuff is just on the PTR.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I got mixed up because timezones. HotS 29th of November =/= New Zealand 29th of November

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Power Bottom posted:

Hanzo is the most boring, awkward, and lovely character I have ever played in a MOBA. Considering how much people bitch about him in Overwatch, this pleases me.

Literally the only cool thing about Hanzo is his scatter arrow, something that doesn't loving matter because it's such a pain in the rear end to use even after hours of practice.

How excited are you for him to become the new "[HERO] or feed" in every single HL game

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

NeurosisHead posted:

How excited are you for him to become the new "[HERO] or feed" in every single HL game

Very. I look forward to Hanzo being removed permanently, just like Hanamura.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

NeurosisHead posted:

I have literally never had that happen in a HL game for any hero. Hanzo's ~sick scatter arrow plays~ happen too rarely to matter and aren't even that good when they do happen. There is not going to be an infestation of Hanzo mains in HotS.

---

So lost in the shitstorm over the :siren: SUPPORTCALYPSE :siren: is Khaldor did a 42 minute interview with lead designer Travis McGeathy about the upcoming performance-based matchmaking system. The interview is not worth your time because most of it is Travis repeating over and over that the system cannot be gamed. Here are the only takeaways:

-You can gain or lose up to 50 more rank points per match than you would under the current system. You can also gain or lose up to 50% more hidden MMR per match.
-They eventually want to make the hidden MMR visible.
-It compares 20 different performance metrics.
-It compares your performance on a particular hero on a particular map when a game is of a particular length and whether you won or lost and more.
-It does not consider the composition of your team. They found it just didn't matter very much, like a 1-2% variation. e.g. A solo support heals more than he would in a double support comp, but in the double support comp other metrics improve to balance out the reduced healing.
-It does not consider talents per se. Varian doesn't have different performance metrics based on what level 10 he takes. Again, they found it didn't make much of a difference.
-They are trying to figure out some sort of "loss forgiveness" system for when you get stuck with a bot, afk, intentional feeder, etc on your team so you either lose fewer points or no points at all.
-They have plans to roll out a post-game report card that tells you what metrics you did well or poorly on.
-You only get credit for a merc camp capture if you're nearby when it's capped. A Kael'thas who tosses a flame strike and wanders off does not get credit for the capture.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Gobbeldygook posted:

I have literally never had that happen in a HL game for any hero. Hanzo's ~sick scatter arrow plays~ happen too rarely to matter and aren't even that good when they do happen. There is not going to be an infestation of Hanzo mains in HotS.

---

So lost in the shitstorm over the :siren: SUPPORTCALYPSE :siren: is Khaldor did a 42 minute interview with lead designer Travis McGeathy about the upcoming performance-based matchmaking system. The interview is not worth your time because most of it is Travis repeating over and over that the system cannot be gamed. Here are the only takeaways:

-You can gain or lose up to 50 more rank points per match than you would under the current system. You can also gain or lose up to 50% more hidden MMR per match.
-They eventually want to make the hidden MMR visible.
-It compares 20 different performance metrics.
-It compares your performance on a particular hero on a particular map when a game is of a particular length and whether you won or lost and more.
-It does not consider the composition of your team. They found it just didn't matter very much, like a 1-2% variation. e.g. A solo support heals more than he would in a double support comp, but in the double support comp other metrics improve to balance out the reduced healing.
-It does not consider talents per se. Varian doesn't have different performance metrics based on what level 10 he takes. Again, they found it didn't make much of a difference.
-They are trying to figure out some sort of "loss forgiveness" system for when you get stuck with a bot, afk, intentional feeder, etc on your team so you either lose fewer points or no points at all.
-They have plans to roll out a post-game report card that tells you what metrics you did well or poorly on.
-You only get credit for a merc camp capture if you're nearby when it's capped. A Kael'thas who tosses a flame strike and wanders off does not get credit for the capture.

Hanzo mains don't happen because he can make sick plays. Hanzo mains happen because he shoots a bow and dragons and babbles some poo poo in Japanese.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

NeurosisHead posted:

Hanzo mains don't happen because he can make sick plays. Hanzo mains happen because he shoots a bow and dragons and babbles some poo poo in Japanese.

Hanzo mains in Overwatch happen because he has multiple ways to annihilate many characters in a single shot. Even just chucking arrows blindly into a fight will give you enough 1HKO headshots to give players that tingly thrill that tells them that no really, they're contributing. Unless Hanzo does bonkers amounts of damage in HotS I don't see the same thing happening there.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
My friend and I finally won our first Cho'Gall game after like 7 straight losses. :toot:

My favorite thing about Gall is the rollback bomb. I lost count of how many times I got a kill by waiting until someone on low health carefully dodged the initial roll and then walked right into it on the way back.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Sindai posted:

My friend and I finally won our first Cho'Gall game after like 7 straight losses. :toot:

My favorite thing about Gall is the rollback bomb. I lost count of how many times I got a kill by waiting until someone on low health carefully dodged the initial roll and then walked right into it on the way back.
I love doing that with the Rag meteor.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Olaf The Stout posted:

Check out this game Grubby played with ZJ a few days ago if you want to see how crazy he can scale into the late game currently. They go 0-4 on structures in BoE and eventually come back and win it awesomely with just ZJ's numbers getting insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX9_Tu8YNnc

Man, I hope mage ZJ is still playable after the nerfs, I totally missed out on this.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Kai Tave posted:

Hanzo mains in Overwatch happen because he has multiple ways to annihilate many characters in a single shot. Even just chucking arrows blindly into a fight will give you enough 1HKO headshots to give players that tingly thrill that tells them that no really, they're contributing. Unless Hanzo does bonkers amounts of damage in HotS I don't see the same thing happening there.

I never really understood the "Hanzo Mains" thing, but every once in a while it's a blast to just shoot arrows at people. Arrow headshots are some of the most satisfying things in the game, especially if you can successfully countersnipe a Widowmaker into changing to someone else by timing your shots.

Zenyatta Uber Alles though.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Talmonis posted:

I never really understood the "Hanzo Mains" thing, but every once in a while it's a blast to just shoot arrows at people. Arrow headshots are some of the most satisfying things in the game, especially if you can successfully countersnipe a Widowmaker into changing to someone else by timing your shots.

Zenyatta Uber Alles though.

One of my favorite things to do back when I still played was hurling Symmetra shields in the general direction of the snipers nest and watching the Widowmaker rage out.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Thoughts on Probius?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

good waveclear and zoning, easily countered in draft

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Patch just hit live. It's the same patch notes as a few days ago (no orange text except something about gaming on Macs lol), so double support is dead, long live triple support

Excited to try Hammer rework. I played a couple QM on the PTR yesterday but not many since queues were too long.

Someone report back on Zuljin nerfs effect please!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

They patch on wed now?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Hotfix/bugfix/balance fix/server side yes

http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/21045724/heroes-of-the-storm-balance-patch-notes-september-20-2017-9-18-2017
http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/21106217/heroes-of-the-storm-balance-patch-notes-october-11-2017-10-11-2017
http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/21120247/heroes-of-the-storm-hotfix-notes-october-25-2017-10-25-2017
http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/21159501/heroes-of-the-storm-balance-patch-notes-november-1-2017-11-1-2017
http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/21194322/heroes-of-the-storm-hotfix-notes-november-22-2017-11-22-2017

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
I’m guessing the support that works well in this new meta must have self peel

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So on try mode you can reduce armor more than 25% with that Hammer talent, at least that's what it shows, I'm not sure it's actually reducing the armor that much.

Edit: It doesn't. Doing 304 with basic attacks turns into 379 against the dummy while showing 30% and stays there even if it's showing 100% or more.

Uh, there also seems to be a bug where if you pick Hover Siege you also get Graduating Range. I wonder if that works outside of Try mode hah.

That didn't happen in this custom sandbox game I just made, HOWEVER, hyper cooling engines seems to proc on minions, when I'm pretty sure it should be heroes only. That basically means if you target a minion wave your thrusters are off cooldowns in 1 shot.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 29, 2017

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Thoughts on new Hammer? Played 2 QM games with her on my team and she seemed pretty hard to dive and burst down. Could just sit there sieged and shoot people for days.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I've only played one game with her, but the enemy team had Garrosh and my team had a Varian who went Arms. So I didn't get to do much siege mode. Seems like she could be fun if she and the team work together.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

Patch just hit live. It's the same patch notes as a few days ago (no orange text except something about gaming on Macs lol), so double support is dead, long live triple support

Excited to try Hammer rework. I played a couple QM on the PTR yesterday but not many since queues were too long.

Someone report back on Zuljin nerfs effect please!

Just beat a double support with just my brightwing but to be fair the enemy team was garbage

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

AlmightyBob posted:

Just beat a double support with just my brightwing but to be fair the enemy team was garbage

I'm trying my best.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Have a couple games in now, not really liking the changes. She definitely punches harder, but that was never the issue. The new E helps a lot when you have support ready but doesn't change all that much without it.

The issue is exactly their new design, all her talents revolve around siege. I *like* to siege, but now I feel kind of helpless when I'm not sieged and it's really annoying. Having to decide between running away or just sieging up in someone's face because that gives you extra armor is dumb. Not being able to contribute to a fight because it's moving and you need to siege to make use of your talents is annoying. The talent shuffle is a little annoying. You no longer feel like a hero that gets stronger and stronger, with spikes at 13, 16 and 20. Now you get a nice boost at 7 and some ok stuff on 13 and 16. I was wrong about Hover, it's so slow now it's useless. Graduating isn't as good as before, but getting it on 7 is good and what are you gonna do, take pulsing mines?

On the bright side, the range on mines and blast in siege is hilarious. Also not having to wait a billion years for your turret to turn to AA someone is nice.

I can't even count the number of times I armored trying to siege.

Also, Hammer has no quest talents and that is dumb :(

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
What's the verdict on my beautiful baby boy Zul'jin?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Elysium posted:

Graduating isn't as good as before, but getting it on 7 is good and what are you gonna do, take pulsing mines?
You should really try pulsing mines.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I've tried it, it's pretty meh unless you are throwing it in a mosh or something. I mean it actually works with the mine gimmick build, but really, why even take Hammer if that's your plan? It's good for wave clear and mercs though.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 30, 2017

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

They definitely made the PvE Brawl much harder

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Spudd posted:

They definitely made the PvE Brawl much harder

Yup, you can look forward to plenty of dying in the second section because people move ahead too quickly or getting wiped at the final boss.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Semper Fudge posted:

What's the verdict on my beautiful baby boy Zul'jin?

Still good. I played a few games with the old talent setup. He takes longer to snowball to ridiculousness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

"Congratulations, you placed on the Brawl leaderboard at 53rd place with 10.6 minutes"
Phew, only took like ten tries to actually win a game. Ended up using Gazlowe that time.