Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When Forza put an acvw into the game I abused that thing so badly. Handled like a horse on an ice rink.. if you waited long enough to get up to speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The best part of the Ferrari pack is they did that community vote for one of the cars, and with options including a bunch of cool as gently caress old cars the overwhelming vote winner was the 2017 F1 car. To go with the 2015 F1 car that's already in the game.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Why am I getting the feeling as I get more into sim racing that F1 sim racers are a different kind of crazy than the normal sim racing crazy

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
one of the funniest things ive ever read on this forum was that guy in the irl f1 thread telling someone he was arguing with to seriously post their sim videogame user profile so that he could inspect their virtual lap times even though he had no idea if they even played or not

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

wolrah posted:

Unless you're claiming there's a bug in Windows 10 that only affects older Fanatec drivers this really shouldn't matter, but for the record I have the Forza CSR which was abandoned at 261 just like many of the 911 wheels (it's internally pretty much the same as the later ones).

Do you have any idea how much specific code there is in drivers? To this date every graphics driver on the market still has code that says "IF GAME == QUAKE {}" its a hacky kludge that got done a long time ago and left in forever because that's how the real world works.

Its not that Windows 10 only has an issue with older Fanatec drivers, its that Windows 10 doesn't support backwards-compatibility as good as they'd like and they know this which is why most people have re-written new drivers. But its still a problem when they break backwards compatibility but try to act like they still support it.

Anyways agree to disagree but holy poo poo I can't disagree enough with your "look its definitely not windows 10 if its not something every single person with a computer experiences" argument.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Thief posted:

one of the funniest things ive ever read on this forum was that guy in the irl f1 thread telling someone he was arguing with to seriously post their sim videogame user profile so that he could inspect their virtual lap times even though he had no idea if they even played or not

LOL I have no idea how I missed that

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
i forget if that was me or not

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I tell people tracks blow based on SIM experience and they get really upset. That's pretty funny to me

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Norns posted:

I tell people tracks blow based on SIM experience and they get really upset. That's pretty funny to me

its loving TRUE THO!!!!!!!!

i just appeal to authority based upon club kart racing

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'd like you all to know that I'm playing GT Sport with motion controls and it kind of owns

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Norns posted:

I've played F1 2017 a lot more and no joke the bad tracks really are bad and the good tracks really are good. Catalunya has a lot of interesting medium and low speed corners while Baku's a big wet fart except for one neat corner.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CoTA's like that for me. I was there as a spectator for the first MotoGP race there, and hated it. Bad sight lines, bad pedestrian flow, grumpy security staff. Miserable place to watch a race though it looks pretty good on TV.

Then when I started playing it in sims it turned into one of my favorite tracks. It's a joy to drive on.. clearly they designed it for the drivers and broadcast crews.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Norns posted:

I'd like you all to know that I'm playing GT Sport with motion controls and it kind of owns

Steering with the ds4 like a wheel?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Crosspost from video game deals thread:

Not_Log posted:

https://chrono.gg/ Bulletstorm Full Clip Edition $15 for 7 more hours

Humble Codemasters Racing Bundle

$1

F1 Race Stars
F1 2011
F1 2012
Toybox Turbos

BTA $7.69

Grid 2
F1 2014
F1 2015
F1 Race Stars Season Pass
60% off Dirt 4 Coupon
40% off F1 2017
F1 DLC
Dirt 4 DLC x2
???

$15

Micro Machines World Series
F1 2016
Dirt Rally
F1 2016 Career Booster Pack
Grid 2: all DLC
???

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

cowboy elvis posted:

Steering with the ds4 like a wheel?

Yes. It's really good.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Larrymer posted:

hmmm.. But I hate f1.. but the price is kinda tempting.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

also dirt 4 60% off is also probably as good as it'll get for the next year or two

idk if anyone posted this yet but BeamNG is still adding great stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb_vh_l_gc0

the damage model is really cool and what most people play this game for

...but the driving physics are logical enough that you'll have a lot of fun pushing your vehicle to its limit while blindly exploring new roads in an open world sandbox without dying irl when you hit a tree at 90mph

Norns posted:

LOL I have no idea how I missed that

iirc someone replied with a 1st place trophy mug and he ragequit the thread shortly after

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Is there traffic yet in beamng? I see they added a new city nap, which is cool, but would rather not drive in a ghost town.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thief posted:

Just the other day (although I can’t find the thread for the life of me) on the simracing subreddit there was a guy legit arguing that the only way to be competitive in iracing was to buy a £10,000 rig like he had. This was in a thread where a newbie was asking how to get started with a wheel and pedals. This guys argument was that people saying you don’t need a 10k rig to be fast were just jealous

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

beamng is something I dust off every once in a while, but for all the cool stuff they've added the one thing they REALLY need still isn't there: random AI traffic.

What's the point of hilarious collision damage if all you can run into is trees? :iiam:

They also have an issue with gravity feeling really floaty. Once your car launches it takes forever to come back down.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Just the other day (although I can’t find the thread for the life of me) on the simracing subreddit there was a guy legit arguing that the only way to be competitive in iracing was to buy a £10,000 rig like he had. This was in a thread where a newbie was asking how to get started with a wheel and pedals. This guys argument was that people saying you don’t need a 10k rig to be fast were just jealous

The dude who won the Mazda Shootout in 2015 (Glenn McGee) posted a photo of his setup and it was a G27 clamped to a desk with a leopard print desk chair and people got loving mad that literally all he had was a G27 and a lovely beaten up swivel chair and he beat all their Obutto and Leo Bodnar owning asses.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Harminoff posted:

Is there traffic yet in beamng? I see they added a new city nap, which is cool, but would rather not drive in a ghost town.

There kinda sorta is, but not really traffic as much as you can spawn multiple cars and assign very basic "AI" behaviors to them if the map you're playing on has paths configured.

There are pretty much three modes; random, chase, and flee. Random just drives around and makes a die roll at every intersection to decide what it's going to do. Chase lets you select another vehicle and the AI will do its best to ram in to it, following roads as much as possible. Flee is the inverse of that, the AI will do its best to get as far as it can from the selected vehicle. I believe there are more advanced options available in scenarios for selecting specific paths but I haven't dug too deep in to those.

I like to stage 8-12 police cars around a map, set them on random for a few minutes, then set them to chase me while I drive some capable but unbalanced vehicle (like maybe it has a lot of power but poo poo tires, or great off-road suspension but the smallest motor) and see if I can survive long enough for them to take themselves out.

The West Coast USA map's paths are still pretty janky, I was having cars trying to cut corners through buildings and there was a bridge that they'd just stop and then move forward/backward repeatedly at the edge of. The Utah map is pretty good for this.

Also doing the reverse is fun sometimes, set the AI up in a bunch of various "getaway" cars and me in a cop car that I've tweaked to be stupid fast trying to take them all out without wrecking my own car.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

xzzy posted:

CoTA's like that for me. I was there as a spectator for the first MotoGP race there, and hated it. Bad sight lines, bad pedestrian flow, grumpy security staff. Miserable place to watch a race though it looks pretty good on TV.

Then when I started playing it in sims it turned into one of my favorite tracks. It's a joy to drive on.. clearly they designed it for the drivers and broadcast crews.

I thought I was the only person who actually enjoyed driving on COTA :hf:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

yeah you have to make your own fun in beamng. the ai is predictably terrible and supposedly they dont have the resources to make it multiplayer. there's also cannon balls and silly poo poo like logs on trucks but its usually a bit tedious to setup how you want it

can you imagine this game engine with pvp destruction derby mode. i hope the devs can at least eventually cash out by selling what they've learned to be used in other games.

njsykora posted:

people got loving mad that literally all he had was a G27 and a lovely beaten up swivel chair and he beat all their Obutto and Leo Bodnar owning asses.

lol are there any noteable gamepad users in iracing?

i have a really hard time feathering the gas using a trigger finger that's been wired by decades worth of muscle memory to shoot videogame bullets. works well enough in forza and dirt rally but those are generally very forgiving games.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This guys argument was that people saying you don’t need a 10k rig to be fast were just jealous

i always wonder what people with setups like that drive irl because with a budget like that you can make some otherwise really boring cars really fast

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

beamng doesn't really need multiplayer, though I can see why people want it.

It just needs GTA style fake traffic so I can crash into assholes and hoot 'n holler about it.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Thief posted:

can you imagine this game engine with pvp destruction derby mode. i hope the devs can at least eventually cash out by selling what they've learned to be used in other games.

I think my dream game would be beamng dynamic car physics combined with pretty accurate physical simulation of the motor itself like in automation. Trying to design and race your own car on a budget seems like an interesting challenge.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Thief posted:

lol are there any noteable gamepad users in iracing?

I can't quote usernames but yes, in certain specific tracks/series there are gamepad users at the highest level everywhere.

Zaphod42 posted:

I thought I was the only person who actually enjoyed driving on COTA :hf:

Only in a top-end high-downforce car though. I find it very boring if you don't have the right car to flow the esses using aero.

Sebring for instance is a place where you can have fun at any speed, so I think I have to qualify it as a great track even though it doesn't really ring any bells for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The COTA esses are hilarious fun on a motorbike. The downside is there's no "sim" cycle game, it's all arcadey goofiness.

Other sections that are amazing on two wheels are turn 13 on mugello, and the maggots-chapel sequence on silverstone. When you nail the approach it feels so effortless to slice through the turns.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The downforce thing is key to COTA, in basically anything short of a F2 car it's too long or too fiddly on the full layout to be any fun.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Why am I getting the feeling as I get more into sim racing that F1 sim racers are a different kind of crazy than the normal sim racing crazy

Eh.

The games: The Codemasters F1 games are kiiiind of bad, and were the only game in town. They got a bad case of roster updates while leaving in race-breaking bugs that destroyed enjoyment for hardcore fans. (Like pace cars crashing, game making a wrong tire choice at the start of a race then pits glitching so your team wouldn't release you until every single other car in the pits exited ahead of you...). They're okay games, and the racing sim in the middle of most races is pretty good. But if you try to go hardcore run with full laps for a whole season... at least 2 of the races have major glitches guaranteed. Not to mention at least one race where the rain changes three different times and you don't have pits to talk to about when to box so you have to queue it up yourself. It's a sad thing because the "feel" of the game in the middle of a race is really drat good. It's just the rough edges that can make you swear vengeance on Codemasters.

The series: F1 does require a certain level of buy-in that lesser series aren't so bad or. The cars have a massive issue with going undrivable at anything less than competitive speed- especially in regards to the ridiculous amount of aero they carry. You have to lean hard into the aero way before you have any clue whether the car will actually stick, in order to get the equipment up to temp, in order to start driving at full speed, in a vicious circle. It's easier to start following another car or to know from real life that a certain corner can be taken flat-out, and start using that as a basis for where the car will stick.

I'd only buy into the F1 games/bundle if you really think you're going to enjoy working up to a full (schedule, and at least like half-distance) F1 season. If you just want to drive an F1 car around a track, get one of the other games that have F1 cars now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Not sim racing but $1 for Toybox Turbos is a pretty good deal since that game is way better than the actual Micro Machines game they put out this year.

Also pretty funny that Dirt Rally is in a higher tier than all the Dirt 4 stuff.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 29, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

njsykora posted:

The dude who won the Mazda Shootout in 2015 (Glenn McGee) posted a photo of his setup and it was a G27 clamped to a desk with a leopard print desk chair and people got loving mad that literally all he had was a G27 and a lovely beaten up swivel chair and he beat all their Obutto and Leo Bodnar owning asses.

I was watching videos of the fastest guy in the world in GT Sport and it’s a dude in a normal chair at a desk with a g29.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thief posted:

Wreckfest (previously knowns as Next Car Game) is vaguely in that direction. It doesn't have as detailed of a physics model as BeamNG but it's built around detailed crashing.

It is possible to use multiple gamepads to control multiple vehicles in BeamNG, but it doesn't have a split screen mode so it'd only really work to do a top-down view on the demolition derby map and maybe some of the smaller circuits.

I can see why they don't do multiplayer though, there's just too much to keep synchronized for it to work well. The only way to not have it require powerhouse servers would be to trust each client to handle the physics of its own vehicles/objects, and that still leaves room for lag or one player running on a potato to cause the whole game to jank up.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 30, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Larrymer posted:

F1 Race Stars and Toybox Turbos are both way more fun than they should be, great games imo

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

njsykora posted:

The best part of the Ferrari pack is they did that community vote for one of the cars, and with options including a bunch of cool as gently caress old cars the overwhelming vote winner was the 2017 F1 car. To go with the 2015 F1 car that's already in the game.

There's a big subset of racing game players who only want to drive the fastest car there is because they just like seeing a big number before they crash into a wall.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

There's a big subset of racing game players who only want to drive the fastest car there is because they just like seeing a big number before they crash into a wall.

Look, man, if the car can't go 400+ kph, I refuse to drive it. That's final.

But seriously, Abarth 500s at Algarve is where it's at - except I got punted off my second place on lap 2. :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bS0bKKuAhs&t=968s

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also the mention of sim spergs reminded me of when Reiza put an option in their time trial mode to just grab the setup of anyone on the leaderboard and a bunch of people flipped the gently caress out because suddenly their uber-setups that they'd spent hours perfecting weren't going to be the only thing keeping them at the top of the leaderboards any more. So Reiza ended up making an opt-out for people who didn't want to share their poo poo because people who obsess over setups are the loving worst.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I'm surprised this doesn't happen at the start of every COTA race.

https://youtu.be/MnzNzgJ9JNo?t=5m12s

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Largepotato posted:

I'm surprised this doesn't happen at the start of every COTA race.

https://youtu.be/MnzNzgJ9JNo?t=5m12s

The huge uphill elevation change right at Turn 1 really helps keep things manageable, inherent braking and extra downforce going into the corner.

But there's been some crashes at COTA anyways :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Just got my buttkicker! Haven't used it much yet, was trying trying with some music. Anyone with one have issues with it clipping at all? Seems like I have to have it set pretty low or the clipping light flashes. I just have it split off of my blue yeti right now.

Followed this guide to set it up.

https://thebuttkicker.com/content/BK-GR2_QSG.pdf

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 1, 2017