Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, calling Van Helsing fun makes me really question what people's definition of fun is.

I like the show, but it makes me very worried for Simon Barry's state of mind.

My impression is that Barry is more the production guy on this one. Neil LaBute is the creator and main creative guy. Kind of funny that he is doing a cheapo Canadian sci-fi show as he is mostly known as a super artsy theater writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Looten Plunder posted:

Wayne's World is goddam amazing and is a piece of comic genius.

Fight Me.

It was already on my list!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

McSpanky posted:

It was already on my list!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Looten Plunder posted:

Wayne's World is goddam amazing and is a piece of comic genius.

Fight Me.

Seconding this, Wayne's World is the goddamn funniest poo poo and it doesn't get nearly as much love or recognition as it should. It got a shout out in the Deadpool 2 teaser trailer which made me grin like an idiot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Season 2 of Baskets finally hit Hulu. Hell yes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Neil LaBute is the creator and main creative guy. Kind of funny that he is doing a cheapo Canadian sci-fi show as he is mostly known as a super artsy theater writer.

LaBute is less "super artsy," more "raging misogynist."

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
GOON JUSTICE: The Series is dead. We'll have to wait a little longer for network television to deliver harsh judgements on Pizzagate and Szechuan Sauce.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/wisdom-of-the-crowd-season-1-cbs-1202623826/

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

GOON JUSTICE: The Series is dead. We'll have to wait a little longer for network television to deliver harsh judgements on Pizzagate and Szechuan Sauce.

lol that series had more producers than episodes

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Season 1 has been live on Amazon Prime for some time now. I made a thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842083

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Guy Mann posted:

There's an identical show called APB that was also cancelled this year. No more app reporting crime shows for a while.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I don't know if this sort of thing is allowed here, but if it is, I'm going to do it.

https://www.gofundme.com/help-me-not-die-in-my-sleep-please

Money was already poo poo coming up to Christmas and all that, and then I find out that if I don't get this machine my body might just give up or something. I stop breathing an average of almost once a minute, and this can go up to 47 seconds the longest, during a nights sleep.

If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it, and then I can go back to watching shows that only feature super heroes or doctor who for your entertainment.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Timby posted:

LaBute is less "super artsy," more "raging misogynist."

Well, he is a Mormon...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

BSam posted:

I don't know if this sort of thing is allowed here, but if it is, I'm going to do it.

https://www.gofundme.com/help-me-not-die-in-my-sleep-please

Money was already poo poo coming up to Christmas and all that, and then I find out that if I don't get this machine my body might just give up or something. I stop breathing an average of almost once a minute, and this can go up to 47 seconds the longest, during a nights sleep.

If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it, and then I can go back to watching shows that only feature super heroes or doctor who for your entertainment.

My sympathies, I have apnea too and my first night *actually* sleeping was magical. Suddenly all my years of night hallucinations and such had a context. Fortunately my machine was covered by health insurance. If I had anything I'd toss it in, but I'm currently living on other people's generosity myself.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Also how is the Mike/Gus stuff even remotely incomprehensible? Everything about their actions is explained entirely within the context of the show. You're right about the stylistic stuff, but how is that relevant to what we're discussing? I didn't say they were dissimilar shows in terms of direction.

The Mike/Gus stuff is not incomprehensible in terms of the logic of their actions within the story, it's incomprehensible as a story that an audience should care about.

The Jimmy part of the story is simple. We are introduced to Jimmy, a new character (whose traits are different than Saul's from Breaking Bad). The story slowly introduces him, establishes his relationships, his character, and the dilemmas that will determine his arc. Almost all of it involves new characters, which are then also introduced, with their own relationships, personalities, and dilemmas. Kim, Howard, Chuck, they're all introduced and we are able to see who they are. It's all there.

The Mike part of the story is very different. Mike is never really introduced. He is just there, for the first few episodes. We are told very little about him, and then we have an entire episode devoted to him, that goes through his backstory, which is not very graceful. Then, unfortunately, his plot mostly revolves around characters from Breaking Bad, who are not given the proper opportunities within the story to be defined by their character and relationships.

Hector is a perfect example of that. He's basically the antagonist to Mike for 1.5 seasons. Is he a good antagonist? A compelling character, with shades to his personality, with wants and needs that we can sympathize with or understand on some level? Or, at least, a charismatic monster?
Not really. He just kinda sucks. There's nothing there, if you don't have knowledge of Breaking Bad, to think 'I wonder what's up with this guy'.

The problem with focusing on cartel stuff and bringing back all these old characters is that it's difficult to properly introduce and define everyone in clear, compelling ways that audiences will follow without also repeating a lot of beats from Breaking Bad. They've chosen not to repeat, and they've sacrificed clarity along the way.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Nov 29, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wonder if someone tried to shop around a wayne's world cartoon back in the day. loving Dumb and Dumber got one.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jimrutenberg/status/935839349853294592

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 29, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lurdiak posted:

I wonder if someone tried to shop around a wayne's world cartoon back in the day. loving Dumb and Dumber got one.

I would have been obsessed with it.

I did like that Men in Black cartoon that we got, I remember it being pretty good

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Iron Crowned posted:

I would have been obsessed with it.

I did like that Men in Black cartoon that we got, I remember it being pretty good

I like all the shows that studio made, even though all of them were way too brown and had terrible premises.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ann Curry is laughing now

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

If you have Jeremy Piven in the "next celeb to fall to abuse allegations" game, congratulations, you're a winner!

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0L...bd8yYelztjYNVc-

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember enjoying that MIB cartoon a lot but I can't actually remember a lot about it. I was really obsessed with the movie in the lead up to it coming out, then never actually went to see it in the cinema, but I did see a lot of the cartoon.

One of my favourite Disney cartoons from when I was younger was this show called Fillmore! in which every episode was a parody of some 80s cop show or action movie except it's set in a middle school. It's the only Disney cartoon I'm aware of that had episodes that were 100% pastiches of Lethal Weapon 2 and The Silence of the Lambs.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

CBJSprague24 posted:

If you have Jeremy Piven in the "next celeb to fall to abuse allegations" game, congratulations, you're a winner!

This seems like such old news given how many people have been accused since I heard about this. Not downplaying it, but man I am starting to forget who abused who at this point. I do give Piven credit for taking and passing a liar detector test, that said doesn't mean much, but still it was a risk for him to take it (if he failed it everyone would be like liar detectors are 100%).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CBJSprague24 posted:

Like anyone didn't expect that from Entourage

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Men in Black: The Series was a show I would tune in for every afternoon during its Kids' WB run, just to watch the title sequence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwP4vSfjygY

Beyond that, all I really remember was that there was a solid running storyline about a founding member of the MIB who had gone rogue and spent decades augmenting his body with alien organs and technology. Would've been a better plot for the film sequels than the ones they used.

Lurdiak posted:

Well, if you've already got sub-par The Mask and Ace Ventura cartoons on the air, might as well go for the Carey trifecta. A shame we never got The Cable Guy: The Animated Series, but I guess ABC One Saturday Morning audiences just weren't ready for a darker, meaner animated Jim Carey.

CBJSprague24 posted:

I mean he already got accusations leveled against him two or three times in the last month, that there are more comes as no shock. I mean, just look at that photo and tell me that guy's not a shithead.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DivisionPost posted:

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Season 1 has been live on Amazon Prime for some time now. I made a thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842083

The heck, my guide says it was due out today or something. I need to get involved!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wheat Loaf posted:

One of my favourite Disney cartoons from when I was younger was this show called Fillmore! in which every episode was a parody of some 80s cop show or action movie except it's set in a middle school. It's the only Disney cartoon I'm aware of that had episodes that were 100% pastiches of Lethal Weapon 2 and The Silence of the Lambs.

Eek the Cat did stuff like that too, not Disney though. Man that was a good show.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JethroMcB posted:

Well, if you've already got sub-par The Mask and Ace Ventura cartoons on the air, might as well go for the Carey trifecta. A shame we never got The Cable Guy: The Animated Series, but I guess ABC One Saturday Morning audiences just weren't ready for a darker, meaner animated Jim Carey.

The Mask and Ace Ventura cartoons even had a crossover episode, which could have paved the way for the Jim Carrey Animated Adaptation Shared Television Universe.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The future man pilot was kind of lame but Ive been loving every other ep. Fat neckbeard Haley Joel Osment just busted out a katana like the true goon he is.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

nate fisher posted:

This seems like such old news given how many people have been accused since I heard about this. Not downplaying it, but man I am starting to forget who abused who at this point.

A part of me can't help but wonder if this is at least partially intentional. Like Fox News glossing over Roy Moore being a serial statutory rapist while acting like Al Franken allegedly fake kissing someone too forcefully during a sketch rehearsal once is exactly the same thing as the decades of sexual assault people like Weinstein and Ratner have been outed for.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Hi, you don't have to downplay Franken's lovely behavior just because worse technically exists.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah that was very dismissive of what Franken actually did, and it makes me worry that we're already getting to the point where men being sex monsters is going to become numb and normalized like mass shootings have been.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I basically am not surprised any anyone anymore, especially with Roy Moore winning.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

He hasn't won yet, but there's a decent chance he still will.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is so great man I love it

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is so great man I love it

Yeah, this is phenomenal. Palladino's style really shines when she isn't constrained by network tv rules, I should have expected this but it feels like a revelation somehow.

Brosnahan is amazing, and I'm glad Borstein is finally a lead on a Palladino show after she had to drop out of being Sookie on GG.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
gently caress me Mrs. Maisel is amazing. I already loved the pilot and I was a bit worries that the new episodes wouldn't be as good but that worry was completely unfounded. The dialogue is just perfect, Brosnahan absolutely kills it and all the other actors knock it out of the park too (especially Borstein!). The show looks amazing, the sets are just astounding and the music...

Watch it!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

JethroMcB posted:

Men in Black: The Series was a show I would tune in for every afternoon during its Kids' WB run, just to watch the title sequence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwP4vSfjygY

Beyond that, all I really remember was that there was a solid running storyline about a founding member of the MIB who had gone rogue and spent decades augmenting his body with alien organs and technology. Would've been a better plot for the film sequels than the ones they used.
The third MiB is honestly pretty good. Second one sucks though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Looks like Ghosted is getting a second chance as Fox has ordered six more episodes and changed out the showrunner, bringing in Paul Lieberstein, who was an EP for The Office. Also being reported is the show will be getting slightly retooled to focus more on the office. I'm fine with that as the monster of the week stuff isn't exactly necessary for the comedy.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I really hope this lasts past the second season. Everything Palladino has done since GG has woefully been cut short.

So happy Bailey De Young is in this a lot so far, she was such a standout in Bunheads. I hope Julia Goldani Telles appears.

e: oops meant to quote someone. re: maisel obvs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

The third MiB is honestly pretty good. Second one sucks though.

For some reason that I can't quite understand or explain the scene where the multidimensional alien explains how perfectly everything had to align for the baseball game to end how it did makes me tear up.

It's not a perfect movie but it's way better than it had any right to be. I had to knock a star off for pretending that a Pitbull end credits song was an acceptable substitute for a Will Smith one.

Actually, I knock a star off any film that COULD have a Will Smith end credits song but doesn't. Which is how Suicide Squad got -1 stars from me.

• Locked thread