Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Dr Cheeto posted:

When you definitely understand financial risk
https://twitter.com/business/status/935962054976032769

Classic head and shoulders pattern.

It may also be in the "bull trap" portion of a financial crash. Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting
Quantum computers can flood the market lol

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Also, people are calling it a "flash crash" online. No, it's just a regular crash, with the panicking, hand wringing, etc.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I don't think so, I asked a really open ended question about "What level of usage would you expect to see if Cryptos were affecting our society and not simply an internet scam"
when ham sandwiches describes what he or someone else said and particularly when he literally uses quotation marks he is absolutely full of poo poo lying and it is remarkable that people continue pretending he is worth discussing things with

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I don't think so, I asked a really open ended question about "What level of usage would you expect to see if Cryptos were affecting our society and not simply an internet scam" and turning it into "Bitcoins will never, ever scale above 8 transactions per second, idiot" really undercuts the entire discussion because it changes the entire discourse on whether they will or won't. It implies that only Bitcoins can be a valid crypto, or that if they can't replace Visa right now they'll never be a valid alternative to fiat money for transactions. And it does it in a really misleading way, when I was just kinda trying to establish what criteria people would accept for "Cryptos are here."

I'm fine with sticking to Cryptocurrencies for cryptos in general and Bitcoin when talking about Bitcoins specifically, though I'm not sure why it's such an important distinction to draw.

I think it’s an important distinction in this thread since it’s about Bitcoin. In a vacuum I think that’s what people are going to default to.

In a general sense I think most of us would be willing to look at crypto currencies at the very least as an intellectual curiosity at least to a greater degree than the specific implementation of Bitcoin and the baggage that comes with

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Lote posted:

Also, people are calling it a "flash crash" online. No, it's just a regular crash, with the panicking, hand wringing, etc.
depends on how you define flash crash but on gdax the price dropped from $10k to $9k in a single minute because of all the stop losses triggered when it dropped under $10k. imo that qualifies as a flash crash

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Is there any evidence of bitcoin being used for anything that's not incredibly dodgy yet because it feels like the price is skyrocketing based on nothing but inertia at this point

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

fruit on the bottom posted:

I think it’s an important distinction in this thread since it’s about Bitcoin. In a vacuum I think that’s what people are going to default to.

In a general sense I think most of us would be willing to look at crypto currencies at the very least as an intellectual curiosity at least to a greater degree than the specific implementation of Bitcoin and the baggage that comes with

Great, then please consider this my apology for imprecise phrasing in my original question. I wasn't trying to play cute with the definitions.

I consider Bitcoins to be simply another crypto, the most popular one that first took hold, but I don't see it as the only crypto that works nor do I see it as the end all solution to all crypto transactions. Since Coins are fairly fluid and exchanges make it easy to convert between them, I really don't see people being stuck with Bitcoin as the crypto currency going forward - they'll use it as long as it's useful.

So for anyone willing to throw out their perspectives, I would enjoying reading people's opinions on when Crypto usage will be at a point / widespread enough in our society that they consider them something beyond a scam / ponzi scheme.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

abigserve posted:

Is there any evidence of bitcoin being used for anything that's not incredibly dodgy yet because it feels like the price is skyrocketing based on nothing but inertia at this point
you can pay for things using bitcoin and the bitpay service, but not that many businesses use it because using bitcoin to pay for minor transactions kinda sucks

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Fair enough

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.

abigserve posted:

Lots of real companies accept bitcoin now, like microsoft, overstock, valve etc. I think you can actually buy Teslas with bitcoin too

edit: you don't actually give them bitcoin though, there is usually an intermediary that takes your bitcoin and gives the vendor USD

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

as long as you admit that its a risky investment vehicle designed to pump rubes for cash, and acknowledge those are your goals for using it, and its not in any way the future of or remotely useful as a currency, I am completely fine with you doing your thing

edit:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

http://www.forexlive.com/news/!/bitcoin-exchange-websites-crash-as-prices-fall-20-from-the-highs-00-20171129

quote:

Bitcoin is down more than 20% from today's intraday high in a plunge below $9000 from as high as $11,434.

Coinbase, which is by far the most popular place to buy Bitcoin, has gone offline in the plunge.

Others have also suffered problems today.

The unprecedented interest in cryptocurrencies and untested nature of many of these systems is highly worrisome.

Aside from Coinbase, Kraken and Gemini are also down. GDAX was down earlier as well.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 29, 2017

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
How convenient for the biggest btc exchange to turn the lights off when people want to sell their 11k 10k 9k Internet coins

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
The exchanges going down are acting like a de facto circuit breaker in the stock market. Not a great thing to trip it but if they don't come up soon, it may inspire more panic.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Lote posted:

The exchanges going down are acting like a de facto circuit breaker in the stock market. Not a great thing to trip it but if they don't come up soon, it may inspire more panic.
gdax was down for a short time and has been back up for hours

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I just checked the exchanges and they seem like they're up? :confused:

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I just checked the exchanges and they seem like they're up? :confused:

Why have 5 9s uptime when you can have 1 9 uptime.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Coinbase is back as well. So far it's been hovering around a 1% drop from yesterday's high.

edit: There's apparently already been twice as many transactions today as the daily average.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Sigh...I sold it all at 485ish, but if I wanted back in oh well.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Bitcoincharts is down too, probably so people don't see the value crashing into the shitter.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
They probably have automation on their sites to shutdown when the price drops a certain %

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

temple posted:

They probably have automation on their sites to shutdown when the price drops a certain %

Almost certainly, I didn't crash the price from 100 dollars to 8 by posting "SELL SELL SELL" on bitcointalk without providing some kind of chart to back it up.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

divabot posted:

i do have a fedora though

cool I have a couple pairs of overalls I like to stomp around in

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

and we're back in the green baby

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

d0grent posted:

and we're back in the green baby

I hope not - I'm waiting to buy back in to ETH and I think it's going to drop under 400 soon, based on literally nothing. Seriously like not even technical analysis is cooky enough for crypto market speculation.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

technical analysis works stupidly well in my experience

but it can't tell you what the price will drop to

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

lol bitcoin is back up to 10.3 you dumb goons

[angrily stares a 0 bitcoin balance and closes coinbase tab]

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

divabot posted:

i have never modded /r/buttcoin
But Hammy said you did or do mod that sub, and he does quality research! Top notch!

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Professor of Cats posted:

lol bitcoin is back up to 10.3 you dumb goons
woohoo! I'm up $150 from yesterday! Suck it goons!

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

vortmax posted:

But Hammy said you did or do mod that sub, and he does quality research! Top notch!

I want you to know that there's a few real gems in this thread, and you're one of them. You're scared of actually talking to me, which is loving mind blowing, but you really really want to participate with these dumb rear end jabs which is even more incredible

*checks playbook* I think it's time you respond with an ironicat emote

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Lol the first day I payed attention to bitcoin in awhile is the same day that it starts tanking hard

This is going to be hilarious

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

abigserve posted:

If you want to use Bitcoin to pay for a Starbucks(tm) Coffee(r), you are using one of the 8 transactions per second that is allowed in the entire world.

But a lot of places use the exchanges, where they basically do your transaction in cash then do automated margin betting overnight to recoup the loss.

This is a very dependable way to do business, and is not at all sketchy or worrisome or a barrier to acceptance.

Feldegast42 posted:

Lol the first day I payed attention to bitcoin in awhile is the same day that it starts tanking hard

Drops of 10-20% in one day aren't even uncommon. Come back tomorrow and you might see another one.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Gold is still cool, right? Asking for a friend.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Feldegast42 posted:

but bitcoin is up today :confused:

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

meat police posted:

Gold is still cool, right? Asking for a friend.
Only if you steal it.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

935 posted:

If I had bought one Bitcoin last week I could sell it today and have a cool thousand bucks. gently caress goons past, now and forever.

So buy one now then. The logic from last week is exactly the same as this week.

If you *won't* buy now then that's not goons that's you not pulling the trigger for probably good reasons.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Hmm, exchange volume is up like 4000% I am sure this is a totally normal and not unexpected occurrence.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Drone_Fragger posted:

Hmm, exchange volume is up like 4000% I am sure this is a totally normal and not unexpected occurrence.
400% compared to an average day maybe but not 4000%

coinmarketcap has the 24h volume at $11 billion which is about 4x higher than it was when i checked a few days ago

edit: that's for bitcoin specifically, i'm not sure about total volume across all exchanges and cryptos. but bitcoin is typically the top in volume so i went with just that

edit2: someone else told me this exact same thing about coinbase so it's probably true but i haven't seen the official statement yet

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 30, 2017

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Lote posted:

Lol, it's a feature of the exchange! I worked at a trading house during the flash crash and the good thing about that was that we were able to make customers whole that might have gotten hosed. It was expensive and a huge headache but there was at least accountability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Why don't they just make a suckertoken to give to people who got their positions wiped out by flash crashes and exchange errors. That would stop their bitching.