Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Something I find myself disagreeing with was the decision to make Wallace into this comic book badguy who by turns evokes Satan and Magneto. Remember how in the first one the Evil Corporate Mastermind is just this harmless old Japanese grandpa who likes playing games?

yeah, I thought Wallace was a bit too cartoony for the film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

BarronsArtGallery posted:

It must really suck having to go into a movie and obsessing / fixating on this type of poo poo.

It must really suck to find "ten seconds of counting" so difficult it requires an obsessive fixation. Don't ever look into 'cinematography', it'll turn your movie watching experience into a civil service exam.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

He's mad because he can't make a Replicant what can make babies so he's doing like an angry child scribbling over his own artwork.

The scene layers Luv's character because Luv really is a sadistic monster, but learned her sadism directly from Wallace as tantrum-throwing Old Testament godchild. Hence the repetition of her planting a kiss on K right after stabbing him; she learned that one from dad.

e: It's important to understand that while he doesn't raise his voice, Wallace is basically having an angry outburst in that scene, defacing his own "artwork." Likewise it's important to understand Luv has no internal conflict about doing Wallace's bidding. She lives to serve him. She actually will lie to Wallace (by omission) in order to protect him. She is a better servant than he even knows.

This is a good reading, especially the connection to K's behavior; it also touches on the ambuigity of Luv's tears there. Is she grieving for the murdered replicant, or for her 'father's' frustration and the glory of his ambitions?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Kithyen posted:

I get where he is going with this, but my issue is that he doesn't really seem to say anything about it. He just portrays it.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Percy Shelley posted:

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shatter'd visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamp'd on these lifeless things,
The hand that mock'd them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains: round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 27, 2017

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

General Battuta posted:

I liked Emily Blunt's character in Sicario a lot, felt she was quite well handled. Neither passive and weak nor superhumanly mighty and brave.

I️ watched that with a good friend of mine who couldn’t even finish Sicario because of how Blunt is consistently shunned and disrespected (part of the point of the film, but also, very much a dude’s style of storytelling). Blunt is a good character with depth, but she’s essentially powerless in the film all the way to the end. It’s similar, though hardly the same, with Blade Runner. Guys can escape into that with ease, while women might come to a movie theater and oh, great, it’s the bullshit they regularly put up with as a focal point of storytelling again. It’s a perspective that’s made more sense to me over time, and really elucidates how much of a sausage fest these collaborations are. It’s a little beyond right and wrong, more just another case that cinema can always benefit from a diversity of creative perspectives.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I️ watched that with a good friend of mine who couldn’t even finish Sicario because of how Blunt is consistently shunned and disrespected (part of the point of the film, but also, very much a dude’s style of storytelling). Blunt is a good character with depth, but she’s essentially powerless in the film all the way to the end. It’s similar, though hardly the same, with Blade Runner. Guys can escape into that with ease, while women might come to a movie theater and oh, great, it’s the bullshit they regularly put up with as a focal point of storytelling again. It’s a perspective that’s made more sense to me over time, and really elucidates how much of a sausage fest these collaborations are. It’s a little beyond right and wrong, more just another case that cinema can always benefit from a diversity of creative perspectives.
Someone can also watch Arrival if they want to see a Villeneuve movie with a woman lead who doesn't have as frustrating a time exercising agency.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I think it differs from Blade Runner in that it centers her perspective - although she's still a woman isolated in and constantly confined by a men's world, and the best she can do at the end is refuse to be utterly destroyed, it's definitely her story and she's nobody's narrative accessory or component.

Which, yes, is something I imagine would be exhausting to watch if you put up with it all the time already (as women do).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
You could read his ouvre as educational films about women for men, if you were so inclined.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Magic Hate Ball posted:

You could read his ouvre as educational films about women for men, if you were so inclined.

It's very Refn in that way, but Refn (admittedly) is far less comfortable with women in his films.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Blunt in Sicario is as constrained by her own ideology as she is by the chauvanistic world she enters. She wants to be a cop fighting the drug war "ethically"...it's laughable. In the feminist version of the film, she'd quit her job and join a nonprofit or something.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 29, 2017

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

I love how feminists expect every single film to be about feminism and when it isn't, it's supporting the patriarchy.

It's more that people who are passionate about equality and social justice are aware of when films do or don't prop up toxic systems. You can argue whether, say, The Lego Movie comments on society but I think it's pretty obvious BR2049 is explicitly commenting on social systems and norms. Thus, it invites the question as to whether it is advocating for or against a harmful status quo.

Your comment is a little reductive too because, as I understand it in my own limited capacity, Feminism is at its heart a study of unequal power dynamics. Given the rash of sexual assaults uncovered against hundreds of influential men this year, one can hardly blame people for being attuned to how power dynamics are portrayed. BR2049 is so explicitly about power dynamics it would be silly NOT to have this discussion don't you think?

It's fine and congrats if you feel privileged enough not to care about power dynamics but it's kind of a whack attitude to turn up your nose at people asking probing questions about the media that influences society.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Blunt in Sicario is as constrained by her own ideology as she is by the chauvanistic world she enters. She wants to be a cop fighting the drug war "ethically"...it's laughable. In the feminist version of the film, she'd quit her job and join a nonprofit or something.

Does the movie agree with her ideology, or is the point that she's constrained by her ideology? If it's the latter than I don't think that makes the film not-feminist. That just makes it about somebody who, from a feminist perspective, is looking at things the wrong way. Which seems like a fine subject for a feminist film actually.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I have a dumb pet theory that Pacific Rim is this, aimed at the boys who will think a giant robot movie is rad.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

sean10mm posted:

Does the movie agree with her ideology, or is the point that she's constrained by her ideology? If it's the latter than I don't think that makes the film not-feminist. That just makes it about somebody who, from a feminist perspective, is looking at things the wrong way. Which seems like a fine subject for a feminist film actually.

It's not a dichotomy between feminist or anti-feminist. Feminism is a philosophy of empowerment and social change, not just lamenting the status quo. Presenting a woman as powerless within a patriarchal (abusive, capitalist) system might be valuable social critique, but for me, a film has to also explore to avenues or models of change to clear the bar of being a feminist work.

In psychotherapy, exploring internalized and externalized gender role expectations and societal power structures does not mean you're engaging in feminist practice. You can do all of that and help the client to develop skills for coping with the effects of injustice -- and that might be very helpful, in terms of their day-to-day quality of life -- but you'd still be acting as an agent of social control by making powerlessness more tolerable. Feminist practice means going further and using that awareness and social context to develop a sense of agency, where the client is empowered by an increased ability to self-advocate, engage with a larger community, and affect their social environment on a mezzo/macro scale.

This is just my take, which is obviously highly informed by my background and education. But I do think that this idea that any media that presents women as human beings is feminist really dilutes the meaning of the word, as does the idea that if something isn't a feminist work, that means it's misogynist or anti-feminist.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sicario was the most underwhelming Villeneuve for me. Partially because the protagonist was so impotent and pointless to the overall story, but also for turning into another "Hard men doing hard but necessary things" kinda tale that I'm really tired of.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Sicario was the most underwhelming Villeneuve for me. Partially because the protagonist was so impotent and pointless to the overall story, but also for turning into another "Hard men doing hard but necessary things" kinda tale that I'm really tired of.

I don't think of Sicario as taking the position that what they did was necessary.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
In fact that is what the film is critiquing.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Probably, it didn't hold my interest for whatever reason so I didn't watch it closely. I've loved every else the man has done so go figure.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
As it's Villenueve's best film, you should watch it again.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Sicario is amazing. I would say the "weakest" Villeneuve movie is Arrival but even that is kind of amazing the way a fantastically detailed huge ice sculpture is amazing---it's pointless but there's even a point to the pointlessness, somehow.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, Sicario is extremely good, and I have great sympathy for your tiredness with the theme you mention, which is precisely why you might like it if you engaged with it more.

Arrival is an absurd misfire by his standards, but is still nice to look at.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Arrival is a masterpiece.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I like it but I like nihilistic art generally.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

Like people said, Sicario is about the extraordinary stupidity of this approach and the all-corrupting vortex of violence surrounding the drug war. The movie basically calls the hard men rapists.

I'm really uninterested in a sequel focusing on the Brolin/Benicio Del Toro pair (I wrote this as Brolin/Guillermo Del Toro which I *would* watch the hell out of)

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Arrival is probably my least-favourite Villeneuve, but I still like it. Sicario and Enemy are the all-timers.

General Battuta posted:

I'm really uninterested in a sequel focusing on the Brolin/Benicio Del Toro pair (I wrote this as Brolin/Guillermo Del Toro which I *would* watch the hell out of)

Another Detective Loki movie seems like the way more interesting Villeneuve continuation.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I would enjoy an unironic hard men make hard choices decision points style drug war memoir movie featuring a return of those two characters but

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

I like nihilistic art generally.

e: Has Michael Bay done a drug war movie? Would Bad Boyz II count?

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 29, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Not drug war, but there was Pain and Gain

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Arrival is a masterpiece.

In the same way The Da Vinci Code is a masterpiece, sure.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

wyoming posted:

In the same way The Da Vinci Code is a masterpiece, sure.

I disagree.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Sicario is absolutely better than BR2049. It's kind of hilarious to me that someone would even pose the question.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I'm rewatching it rn just noticed Alejandro at one point calls the drug lord El Verdugo (The Executioner) and it's not translated. Also a bunch of cool stuff I missed the first time like the big sign saying NO MORE GUNS PLEASE pointed at America lol.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Blisster posted:

I don't necessarily agree with all your criticisisms of 2049, but this is quite on point.

If you agree with that, though, then you must certainly also agree that Blade Runner 2049 is rather politically inapt/inept.

In Scott’s film, we are presented with a variety of different reasons for why blade-running is a thing. Batty’s rebels allegedly killed 23 people, of course, but nobody gives a poo poo about that. Bryant’s goal is simply to cover up the ‘embarrassment’, that a shuttle was was allowed to land on Earth undetected.

Blade Runner’s script is so careful and concise that just the word “embarrassing” tells us everything we need to know about the government in 2019: they are more concerned with keeping up the appearance of stability than actually accomplishing anything and, to that end, that they have a well-advertised populist ‘anti-immigration’ policy. In other words, the storied BLADE RUNNER UNITS are largely what we understand today as security theatre.

There are a ton of such vital, fascinating details that Blade Runner 2049 simply lacks. For example: Tyrell Corporation is only one of dozens of competing robotics corporations. Deckard, despite being ostensibly the best blade runner in the biz, has zero familiarity with Tyrell Corp’s Nexus 6’s - because the Nexus 6 is just one product line among many. The events of the film are fairly banal; this ‘worst event in the history of robotics’ is merely six replicants landing in LA, potentially causing embarrassment - none of this fate-of-the-world comic-book stuff of the sequel.

In opposition to Villeneuve’s film, the horror of the original Blade Runner is that nobody is in control. Deckard is just a minor stooge, doing his job, against the background of a major corporate debacle. The entire plot stems from the fact that the reduced lifespan intended to pacify the replicants had the opposite effect; Batty’s awareness of his mortality caused the rebellion. And this means that, before Scott’s film even begins, Tyrell has already abandoned the Nexus 6 design for being too dangerous. Rachel‘s prototype model is already prepped and ready to be introduced as a safer, ‘merely-human’ alternative - because humans tend not to rebel.

That is why Deckard is, allegedly, designed to be weak, to experience pain.... Tyrell’s motto of “more human than human” does not mean ‘creating superhumans’. That’s a common misinterpretation. What it actually means is that Tyrell’s goal is the elimination of both ‘superhuman’ and ‘inhuman’ traits from the human animal, so we are left with a ‘pure’ liberal-humanist subject who is crucially unaware of the possibility that he or she is (we all are) potentially homo sacer.

(“How can it not know what it is?” The basic answer is that Rachel is not allowed to know; once she does know, she ceases to be human and becomes a potential threat.)

I hope that, by now, you’ve already noted more discontinuities in this sequel film - the first being that there shouldn’t be any Nexus 8s. This is fairly true on a plot level, but even moreso thematically. Tyrell had long ago realized his gently caress-up, and abandoned the Nexus line: “I’m surprised you didn’t come here sooner.” In Blade Runner, Batty is among the last of a dying race - a failed experiment, because humans are far more obedient.

So all this rushed expository text about ‘Nexus 8’s with open-ended lifespans who are still being hunted’, dumped at the start of Blade Runner 2049, serves a purely utilitarian function: it allows the film to begin dramatically with the hunting down of the last Nexus 6’es, but without the troublesome fact that they’ve certainly already died off a decade ago. And this choice is not merely a ‘retcon’ - it effects a narrative regression, back to at least the midpoint of the 1982 film. Or even earlier, to before the introduction of Rachel. In following up on plot points, the filmmakers of Blade Runner 2049 seemingly overlooked the original’s basic narrative allusions to Paradise Lost, with Deckard and Rachel likened to Adam and Eve: mankind is God’s favourite creation. Rachel is the future of Tyrell Corporation, not two more generations of barely-upgraded Nexus models. (Sure, you can say that Tyrell took his plan to the grave and the shareholders just halfassedly scrambled for profit - but that sort of plot explanation doesn’t fix the regression of the narrative, this retreat from Blade Runner’s full implications.)

And this leads into the second problem: Joseph’s journey to ‘becoming human’ is exactly in line with Tyrell’s ideology. His lying in the snow is, in a way, a pseudo-redemption of the evil Batty, the ethical regression of Batty. Where Scott’s film is harshly critical of liberal humanism, and of Tyrell, Villeneuve (perhaps-unwittingly) argues that Tyrell was killed too soon, that things would not have gone awry if he had simply been allowed to finish his work. Blade Runner 2049 mourns the kindly old CEO in much the same way Jurassic World mourns John Hammond.

Although it may resemble Jew-Hunter imagery (e.g. Inglourious Basterds) Blade Runner 2049’s opening scene is much much more evocative of and better understood as Nazi-Hunter imagery (e.g. X-Men: First Class). The robot underground are presented as reactionary, fundamentalist types. They’re the ‘almost as bad’ flipside of Wallace. And so, as Zizek notes, the film is characterized by a ‘neutral’ refusal to ‘take sides’ because its implicit answer is somewhere in the liberal center. Its answer is in the union of the good (‘true’) father/maker and the daughter. Deckard becomes Tyrell’s thematic successor, taking human Stelline away from her false adoptive parents - i.e. from both misogynist libertarian Wallace and from the spooky Freysa.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
I may be alone here, but I think 2049 is his best film.

Don't understand the hate for Arrival though. I thought it was the best picture last year. It had one unnecessary side plot that annoyed me at the time (the idiot watching Alex Jones and almost starting an interstellar war) but it ended up making the film age well (because loving Trump won and we've still got a ways to go before we hit bottom).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I may be alone here, but I think 2049 is his best film.

Don't understand the hate for Arrival though. I thought it was the best picture last year. It had one unnecessary side plot that annoyed me at the time (the idiot watching Alex Jones and almost starting an interstellar war) but it ended up making the film age well (because loving Trump won and we've still got a ways to go before we hit bottom).

2049 is up there--I definitely need to re-watch it--but I just think it might have been a bit too bloated for its own good, and I'm not at all convinced Deckard needed to be in it. There's a lot of half-baked weirdness in the movie that's difficult to absorb on a first viewing (which, in fairness, can be said for the original), and I think I liked it, but I'm not sure it's all there.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Sicario is absolutely better than BR2049. It's kind of hilarious to me that someone would even pose the question.

Oh come on. Blade Runner 2049 is vastly superior to Sicario in every way and I love Sicario.

Yaws fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 1, 2017

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Aren't they really the same movie?

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
It's a testament to Villeneuve that people are arguing which of the movies that were my favorite film the year they came out is his best. Go Denis Go!

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Aren't they both just a remake of The Star Wars prequels (the best movie ever)?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

As it's Villenueve's best film, you should watch it again.

I couldn’t possibly choose between Sicario, Enemy, and Polytechnique. An embarrassment of riches

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Monglo posted:

Aren't they both just a remake of The Star Wars prequels (the best movie ever)?

The Star Wars prequels were a return to our origins, and by this I mean that they depict a bunch of hominids throwing feces at each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It's Incendies for me, though that was also the first movie of his I ever saw.

• Locked thread