Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

You Am I posted:

Holy poo poo does it ever. It almost makes up for the first 9 issues. Almost.

Highlights were Getaway just getting deeper and deeper in the poo poo and somehow almost managing to get himself out, and then Rodimus' "goodbye" message which we never saw from MtMtE 50 which made me laugh louder than it really should have done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Hemingway To Go! posted:

She said transmetal 1 (golden T-Rex), not Transmetal 2 (dragon). Though the latter is my preference.

Transmetal 1 Megatron was the best one in the best season and when he did all the coolest stuff.

"New package, same product - LOSERS!"

Captain Invictus posted:

Mp rattrap is a possibility but I don't know if we will ever get an mp rhinox.

Personally, I hope the mp bw megatron is the transmetal 1 megatron. Both because it's an incredible design (rollerblading jetpack t-rex!) But also because his original toy is a sad victim of gold plastic syndrome. I have two, one that is whole, and one that's had his arms come off, he has

My original died too, but I was lucky to find a Japanese one at a con, which doesn't have that problem. I was so excited because I really loved that toy

For Beast Wars MPs, they should do the original 5 Maximals (Primal, Cheetor, Rhinox, Rattrap, Dinobot), Megatron and maaaaybe Waspinator or Blackarachnia then stop. My wallet can't handle any more than that.

Besides, who wants Scorponok or Terrorsaur? They just kind of fell in lava and died one day and nobody even noticed they were gone. Tigatron and Airrazor were really boring too, got abducted by aliens and everyone was like "oh well"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also I'm a dude

I'm also not an Asian man in a sleeping bag with legs, but apparently that's what people paint me as due to the avatar

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

If they make MP Blackarachnia then they drat well better not stop. At that point i'll riot if we don't get a MP SIlverbolt. :colbert:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

If they make MP Blackarachnia then they drat well better not stop. At that point i'll riot if we don't get a MP SIlverbolt. :colbert:

Silverbolt is a good character, but you see, if they make Silverbolt, then they have to make Quickstrike and all of the Transmetals. That's a rabbit hole. I'm way too much of an anal dork to have Silverbolt hanging out with Season 1 Optimus\Cheetor\Rattrap. He wasn't in the show yet! DOES NOT COMPUTE

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Gammatron 64 posted:

Silverbolt is a good character, but you see, if they make Silverbolt, then they have to make Quickstrike and all of the Transmetals. That's a rabbit hole. I'm way too much of an anal dork to have Silverbolt hanging out with Season 1 Optimus\Cheetor\Rattrap. He wasn't in the show yet! DOES NOT COMPUTE

Well then all the more reason to just say gently caress it and give us the whole BW cast. I mean, once season 1 is out of the way the rest of the toys will be a loving cakewalk for TT to make (and probably be way cheaper).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Okay, the fact that you can turn the kind of naff long Dragon Head Arm into a goddamn loving DRAGON FUSION CANNON is the best thing I've ever seen

I am 1000% behind this figure

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I hope they do more BW references in Power of the Primes because as awesome as those MPs are, they're also pricey

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Tighclops posted:

I hope they do more BW references in Power of the Primes because as awesome as those MPs are, they're also pricey

Holding Primal in my hands now, i'm confident in saying the prices are justified. I'm sure any PotP toys would be good, but they would only be a representation of a BW character. If I have learned anything about myself when it comes to toy collecting, i'm not satisfied with "A" representation - I want "THE" representation, and will spend that extra cash if it results in having that definitive version.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm totally with you and I'm both amazed and thrilled that the MPs are so spot on, but I'm also interested in modern interpretations of the characters since unlike most G1 figures, the BW guys I grew up with are still mostly great Transformers, if not somewhat dated. I think the fact that PotP Primal has his Op Op form as a sort of power armour on top of his first season self is brilliant and I can't wait to see photos.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Well then all the more reason to just say gently caress it and give us the whole BW cast. I mean, once season 1 is out of the way the rest of the toys will be a loving cakewalk for TT to make (and probably be way cheaper).

Okay, but Takara should take a break between Seasons 1 and 2 of Beast Wars to do G1 Season 3. Most of the MP toys are from G1 Seasons 1 & 2, then you have Rodimus\Hot Rod and Ultra Magnus and that's it. All you need to do is Kup, Springer, Arcee and Galvatron. Nobody is gonna be all that sad if they skip Blurr or Wheelie.

Then you have Star Saber who is all out there by his lonesome. You can't leave him hanging as the only Japanese G1 guy, you at least need God Ginrai in there. Chromedome can represent Headmasters, because he was kind of the 2nd most important guy after Fortress, and there's no way an MP Fort Max would be feasible unless people are okay with him being smaller than he's supposed to be.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Ben trying to look up stuff on how to fix my Octone, because I'm not sure my original plan of "find another one, and return the busted one" is going to work, due to the failing of the first part of the plan.

Looking at the pin in the backwards installed joint, it goes all the way through, which suggests that I should be able to buy a pin punch and just pop it through. But is a flat head pin, which might make it insanly difficult to remove and my need a soldering iron. Ugh...

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
MP Tripredacus, Magnaboss and Rampage cos that crab is good.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Captain Invictus posted:

Mp rattrap is a possibility but I don't know if we will ever get an mp rhinox.

Personally, I hope the mp bw megatron is the transmetal 1 megatron. Both because it's an incredible design (rollerblading jetpack t-rex!) But also because his original toy is a sad victim of gold plastic syndrome. I have two, one that is whole, and one that's had his arms come off, he has

TM1 Megatron is fragile, especially at the waist and arm joints, but it's not GPS, even though the fandom likes to call anything that breaks easily GPS. Plastic affected by GPS crumbles and can be crushed in your hand with minimal force, it doesn't snap cleanly. Megs just has plastic too thin and brittle for what it's used for. The US version has been snapping at the waist since it was first released. The best solution currently is to try and find a Japanese version, which uses better plastic on the waist and joints.

I would buy an MP TM1 Megs but they need to do the purple T-Rex version first. Season 1 needs the MP treatment way more than the later versions of the characters.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Highlights were Getaway just getting deeper and deeper in the poo poo and somehow almost managing to get himself out, and then Rodimus' "goodbye" message which we never saw from MtMtE 50 which made me laugh louder than it really should have done

We only saw part of the message in issue 50, so it'll be interesting to see whether Prime is going to deal with Getaway or not. I haven't read any of the other TF comics so I don't know what Prime is up to.

Nice use of both Brexit and Trump themes in this issue as well

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The only caveat to good old school Beast Wars figures are guys that have gotten better stuff recently (Rattrap, Rhinox) or it's Dinobot and they had to make a 200 dollar figure to do him justice

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Rhyno posted:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr....1a4877be0Uwfzl

I've bought a bunch of stuff from this seller. Good stuff, nothing has ever arrived broken.

Wow Giftlove Store are awesome - I ordered the Mixmaster KO from them 2 weeks after I ordered the original 3, and it arrived already, after only 8 days. I don't think the first 3 I ordered from a different store have even left China yet.

Mixmaster's a cool figure and he's huge! Can't wait to combine them all. What's the word for nostalgia but when it's even better than you remembered? NOSTALGICUS MAXIMUS!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Started from scratch with Lost Light and I have to say that the first 9 issues aren't so bad if you read them all at once, and the last two issues are SUPER GOOD

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Started from scratch with Lost Light and I have to say that the first 9 issues aren't so bad if you read them all at once, and the last two issues are SUPER GOOD

As I have said repeatedly, Roberts reads best in big chunks. Issue-by-issue he can be frustrating, much like Ultimate Spider-Man was back in the day.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

When you have to move the goal posts to account for a loss of quality it's not a great sign. Roberts used to be, you were eager to read the next issue. Now you need 3 or 4 issues to form anything conclusive.

Checked and last month's was below 6k. Much smaller drop than the previous but no recovery. Not quite at TAAO's final issue, but below the point where TAAO was cancelled.

Expect a cross over or reboot after 12.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I'd be fine with a TF reboot.

qa6
Jul 26, 2006

I'll tell ya how I been!
I BIN JUNK!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I've gone from being mildly disappointed that the leaders of the mutiny were complete jerks to enjoying every terrible, petty moment of Getaway's extended meltdown. Plus it was a nice return to mtmte-style gruesomeness. Poor ol' Boaty McBoatface.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's no way they reboot after all the work they've put into tying the TF franchise into the other Hasbro properties. Supposedly ROM is going to spin out of the next TF film and GIJoe was at one point slated to be in TLK.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
drat

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean, maybe the IDW/Hasbro deal will end?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Please not until I get a new ROM figure that's based on the good comics please

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You know what's depressing?

If Marvel and Hasbro could have sorted poo poo out we'd have gotten a Marvel Legends quality ROM ages ago.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Man I know

Man I KNOW.

It is ridiculous to me that Rom, the character born from an action figure, has never gotten another action figure ever in his entire legacy.

Like they screwed up when they made the original, yes. They made it too soon, it was too expensive, and it was likely too pricey to make cheaply compared to stuff like Masters of the Universe or the small GI Joes

Imagine if they had waited about making Rom just a bit longer and released him in the later era of MotU or even Transformers, when action figures really took off.

Maybe make him a smaller size- but even then he might have worked better just because of figures like Shockwave.

I just want a good ROM.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rhyno posted:

There's no way they reboot after all the work they've put into tying the TF franchise into the other Hasbro properties. Supposedly ROM is going to spin out of the next TF film and GIJoe was at one point slated to be in TLK.
Oh right there's no way they reboot when Rom shining armor first strike whatever no one cares sold 4367 copies in October. I mean those are some loving heavy hitting numbers. Think of the cross-promotion! The branding! The book grossed at just under eighteen thousand dollars. That converts into 408537000.00 Vietnamese Dong, which is coincidentally where Stripes was made.

This book is second place to Stripes in terms of market penetration. And you know what they say about Stripes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A new direction is entirely possible but there is no way they will toss theo 10+ year old universe out the window. A relaunch is very possible. A ground up reboot ain't happening.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

"A ground up reboot ain't happening!" Rhyno screams as Optimus Prime sinks below the six thousand copies sold line.

I mean yes I would predict they do the Power of the Primes crossover with Roberts involved next, given that's what they seem to be working towards, but these books are cratering hard. I feel like not even stating my opinion on #11 because a year from now we'll be sobbing over losing Roberts and seeing him replaced with a returning Shane.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Like I said, a relaunch maybe but the Hasbro Universe is their big thing now. Also they don't release their digital sales but according to the IDW reps they doquite well digitally and trade sales are solid enough for them.

Edit: I'd wager a fair amount of money that the current Hasbro Universe will last at minimum until 2020. They still intend to push their other properties to film and the comics are a model of what they want out of their cinematic universe.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 30, 2017

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Reboots don't fix flagging sales in any kind of sustainable way. The problems with sell-through are fundamental to the direct-market industry - just check out Colin Spacetwinks' various Twines and twitter threads on the matter.

IDW seems wise enough to realize that a reboot will alienate the only segment of their market that is growing (younger, more diverse demographics turned onto TF/IDW by the Roberts Era) and likely do very little to improve comics sales long-term. Not to mention that the Hasbro license is almost certainly a net financial gain for IDW even before a single issue is sold.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Is it worth keeping my MP-01 Convoy, or should I just buy a re-release MP-10?

The new MP-36 Megs is just a crazy toy. I also have MP Soundwave and MakeToys Meteor on the way. I'm tempted to buy the entire Nemesis crew to round out my collection, but I'm not sure I really want Reflector that badly. Or even Shockwave for that matter.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Edit: I'd wager a fair amount of money that the current Hasbro Universe will last at minimum until 2020. They still intend to push their other properties to film and the comics are a model of what they want out of their cinematic universe.
A failing prototype pushed into an era where the last Hasbro film flopped so hard that their chinese partner pulled out? In a year where movies were down what, nearly a fifth (supposedly 17%) year to year in the summer? Where Justice League looks to be a flop and that horrible monster cinematic universe flopped again showing only Disney seems to have a handle on CUs? Not saying Hasbro won't sunk cost their way into a couple more Jem and the Holograms Battleships but I'm not sure where confidence is coming from here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They haven't canceled any of the planned TF flicks yet and the GIJ film relaunch is probably still gonna happen. The continued success of the MCU is going to continue to encourage other studios to continue to copy it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Last day for Secret Santa signup! Use this form to do so!

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

When you have to move the goal posts to account for a loss of quality it's not a great sign. Roberts used to be, you were eager to read the next issue. Now you need 3 or 4 issues to form anything conclusive.

Checked and last month's was below 6k. Much smaller drop than the previous but no recovery. Not quite at TAAO's final issue, but below the point where TAAO was cancelled.

Expect a cross over or reboot after 12.

https://twitter.com/jroberts332/status/935430109183561729

Looks like we'll be expecting a crossover after #16. I imagine that's the Power of the Primes thing (only Transformers comics crossover), and then sometimes after that we'll have the third installment of the MASK/ROM/GIJoe/Hasbro crossovers which will probably not involve the Lost Light.

And I'm on the same boat as all the others, didn't feel like Lost Light was a thing until this issue and the issue before it. But I'm still going to miss TAAO/Scott, that was a good run of comics. It feels like LL is now just running on inertia of old popularity. Hopefully the quality of the Mutineers will pass over to the Rod Squad when the focus turns back on them.

Loved the Death's Head reference in this issue.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Here's POTP Grimlock. Dinobot looks kinda weird with the straight legs, but I kinda like. The Autobot symbol stickers look bad, though. The robot mode looks pretty cool and is classic Grimlock. I'm not sure about the torso mode, namely if it tabs together properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doc9F_R9eOs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Last day for Secret Santa signup! Use this form to do so!

DO IT!