Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Comics are dogshit so I'm glad they're not trying to ape them too much

Seriously, comics are REALLY BAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I liked Silver Surfer when I was a kid. I was surprised when it seemed like they couldn't figure out how to make a movie about him and Galactus, but I'm sure they'll find a way to fold that poo poo into MCU.

Anyways, it's all bad.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Pretty sure that's a rights thing.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The real villain with the Infinity Gauntlet should have been Reed Richards.

Although I guess Rick and Morty sorta ruined the idea of the Council of Reeds.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I found the airport fight with all the heroes in Civil War kinda stifling. In a comic it's fine if Ant-Man just gets brought in for a cameo, but in a movie not so much. And this is going to be way way more characters.

All the same, I'll give it a shot. Hope Thanos manages to be an interesting character like they more or less promised. James Spader managed to do a lot with Ultron, I hope Brolin gives a gently caress.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Mary Magdalene looks like the sequel to We Are Your Friends.

I think it's a pretty interesting choice to play Jesus Christ like a mobster in a bootleg Scorcese who's a couple lines away from stabbing someone in the throat with a corkscrew, but otherwise uh... yeah, woof

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

davidspackage posted:

I found the airport fight with all the heroes in Civil War kinda stifling. In a comic it's fine if Ant-Man just gets brought in for a cameo, but in a movie not so much. And this is going to be way way more characters.

All the same, I'll give it a shot. Hope Thanos manages to be an interesting character like they more or less promised. James Spader managed to do a lot with Ultron, I hope Brolin gives a gently caress.
I found it pretty stifling too but mostly cuz it was the most boring +gray locale like a lot of that movie and Winter Soldier
WATCH AS WE BATTLE AROUND DIFFERENT CAR PARKS AND AIRPORT HANGARS

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well this sure looks boring
Well this sure looks boring

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Nine movies featuring Iron Man in the last 11 years. Before that, Robert Downey Jr. had recently done A Scanner Darkly and Zodiac. What a bummer that we're wasting all these stars on this recycled garbage.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

I think it's a pretty interesting choice to play Jesus Christ like a mobster in a bootleg Scorcese who's a couple lines away from stabbing someone in the throat with a corkscrew, but otherwise uh... yeah, woof

Nazareth In The Hollywood Hills

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

Nine movies featuring Iron Man in the last 11 years. Before that, Robert Downey Jr. had recently done A Scanner Darkly and Zodiac. What a bummer that we're wasting all these stars on this recycled garbage.

THIS. THIS FOREVER.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

On the other hand giving the Downeys too much power created The Judge soooo

Also how dare you ignore Sherlock Holmes Game of Shadows.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I keep thinking "but RDJ did The Counselor didn't he" and then realize I'm thinking of Javier Bardem's character lol.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

kiimo posted:

Yeah, if that's the alternative, keep making Iron Mans.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

kiimo posted:

God.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

What a bummer that we're wasting all these stars on this recycled garbage.

RDJ just loves surprising sick kids at the hospital so he hit cruise control.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Electromax posted:

RDJ just loves surprising sick kids at the hospital so he hit cruise control.

Cate Blanchett also explained in an interview that it's a terrific amount of money for a simple, easy role. And for her personally, she enjoyed being a comic book supervillain as a relaxing break from strenuous work as an actress. All Wahiti asked her to do was ham it up, and she obliged.

Have to imagine that's a common sentiment.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also RDJ is keenly aware of how badly he pissed away some of his career and how hard it was for him to get work for a while so he's very grateful for the steady work.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Cate Blanchett also explained in an interview that it's a terrific amount of money for a simple, easy role. And for her personally, she enjoyed being a comic book supervillain as a relaxing break from strenuous work as an actress. All Wahiti asked her to do was ham it up, and she obliged.

Have to imagine that's a common sentiment.

I'm glad she enjoyed her vacation from strenuous elite living while franchise films and the choads who peddle them continued to kill off what remains of the specialty box office.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

this is going to be a mind blower but a lot of moviegoers think big dumb superhero movies are fun and a lot of actors share that sentiment + they get paid a lot to do it and be every little kids hero which is probably neat

but yeah they should all be eaten by rats or nuked from orbit or whatever

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mandrel posted:

this is going to be a mind blower but a lot of moviegoers think big dumb superhero movies are fun and a lot of actors share that sentiment + they get paid a lot to do it and be every little kids hero which is probably neat

Or maybe they could simply consider the larger implications of taking a big fat wad of money from any hand that offers it, like actual moral people with integrity might do.

But no :laffo: grab what you can and also gently caress you got mine

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Y-yeah?

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Also I assume movie stars with kids like being in movies their kids like.

I mean.... that's probably why we are getting Beyonce as Nala in the new Lion King. Because Blue Ivy is the right age.

I'm so excited for Infinity War. I am so happy and lucky to be alive in the era of the MCU. It's just so cool to have all these fun super hero movies with cameos and references and then big jam packed movies with all of them.
It's exciting and fun and awesome and I've been on board fully since Iron Man 1.

My dad used to read me his old Jack Kirby Fantastic Four comics when i was a kid and I *loved* Black Panther so much. And now, not only has he been in a movie already, he's getting his OWN movie and then he's going to be in a giant team up movie with Spiderman and Thor the Guardians of the Galaxy.

It's just so so so so awesome.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Or maybe they could simply consider the larger implications of taking a big fat wad of money from any hand that offers it, like actual moral people with integrity might do.

But no :laffo: grab what you can and also gently caress you got mine

Oh, gently caress off. Acting is one of the least stable professions you can imagine. Christopher Lee freely admitted that he took a vast number of his roles because it was a pay packet and you never knew where the next one was coming from. Another star - I forget who, but it was someone you've heard of - was once asked if he regretted having been in some infamously lovely movie and he said "No. Every time I see it I think, that paid for my house".

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jedit posted:

Oh, gently caress off. Acting is one of the least stable professions you can imagine. Christopher Lee freely admitted that he took a vast number of his roles because it was a pay packet and you never knew where the next one was coming from. Another star - I forget who, but it was someone you've heard of - was once asked if he regretted having been in some infamously lovely movie and he said "No. Every time I see it I think, that paid for my house".

No U

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BlueBayou posted:

I mean.... that's probably why we are getting Beyonce as Nala in the new Lion King. Because Blue Ivy is the right age.

It's why Bautista took the job as Drax in Guardians, for one. He was very open about how he wanted to be in something his kids would watch, and took additional acting classes because he didn't want to disappoint his kids. Going back a ways, that's why Raul Julia played Bison in the Street Fighter movie.

Or to take Cate Blanchett's interview about playing Hela, it's very relaxing for very talented actors sometimes to take a fun, easy role that demands nothing of them and I think it shows how much she was enjoying herself.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Mandrel posted:

That's cool, and I'm happy for people who are super excited about the MCU and it's 9 television spinoffs, I just miss there being a lot of original tent poles. And it's accepted wisdom at this point that the entire middle of the film industry output has been hollowed out in favor of gigantic blockbusters and small indies, and the gigantic blockbusters are so big and expensive that Disney et al need certainty that they'll make their money back by sticking with safe, established franchises. This was all pretty inevitable, it just bums me out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jewmanji posted:

That's cool, and I'm happy for people who are super excited about the MCU and it's 9 television spinoffs, I just miss there being a lot of original tent poles. And it's accepted wisdom at this point that the entire middle of the film industry output has been hollowed out in favor of gigantic blockbusters and small indies, and the gigantic blockbusters are so big and expensive that Disney et al need certainty that they'll make their money back by sticking with safe, established franchises. This was all pretty inevitable, it just bums me out.

Don't blame actors for the decisions of studios.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jedit posted:

It was Michael Caine in Jaws 4: The Revenge

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Cythereal posted:

It's why Bautista took the job as Drax in Guardians, for one. He was very open about how he wanted to be in something his kids would watch, and took additional acting classes because he didn't want to disappoint his kids. Going back a ways, that's why Raul Julia played Bison in the Street Fighter movie.

Or to take Cate Blanchett's interview about playing Hela, it's very relaxing for very talented actors sometimes to take a fun, easy role that demands nothing of them and I think it shows how much she was enjoying herself.

I consider these to be two different cases.

Bautista literally has a film career now because of his turn in GotG, and I'm glad of it because he shows a lot of promise in both that and Blade Runner. Veteran actors on the other hand have no excuse for feeding this beast time and again.

Cythereal posted:

Don't blame actors for the decisions of studios.

I reserve the right to blame anyone who plays along.

achillesforever6 posted:

On the other hand...

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

achillesforever6 posted:

Specifically: "I have never seen Jaws 4, but by all accounts it is terrible. I have however seen the house that it built, and it is wonderful."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I liked Silver Surfer when I was a kid. I was surprised when it seemed like they couldn't figure out how to make a movie about him and Galactus, but I'm sure they'll find a way to fold that poo poo into MCU.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Pretty sure that's a rights thing.

Not only is it a rights thing, it's, from what everyone can understand, the literal sole reason why Fox gives a poo poo about keeping the Fantastic Four rights. Nobody really cares about the F4 themselves except Marvel diehards, so they're not really hotly demanded on their own, but the Surfer, Galactus, and the Skrulls are tied up in that rights package, and Fox is keenly aware of how irritating this is to Marvel (since they have to rework their cosmic stuff quite a bit to make stuff like GotG and Ragnarok while avoiding those three things).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Not only is it a rights thing, it's, from what everyone can understand, the literal sole reason why Fox gives a poo poo about keeping the Fantastic Four rights. Nobody really cares about the F4 themselves except Marvel diehards, so they're not really hotly demanded on their own, but the Surfer, Galactus, and the Skrulls are tied up in that rights package, and Fox is keenly aware of how irritating this is to Marvel (since they have to rework their cosmic stuff quite a bit to make stuff like GotG and Ragnarok while avoiding those three things).

Yeah, SS is absolutely the most interesting thing from the Marvel Galaxy side of things, and represents what I find to be a perfect balance of all the things that made Jack Kirby the best of the best. Kirby was so loving out there as an imaginative talent compared to the business-savvy Lee that he managed to invent not only the best parts of the Marvelverse... but the DCverse as well.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Jewmanji posted:

that’s fair enough. I like the tent pole blockbusters but I miss the era of mid-range films too

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mandrel posted:

that’s fair enough. I like the tent pole blockbusters but I miss the era of mid-range films too

Seems like Fox is the only one currently doing mid-range superhero/comic book movies like Deadpool and Logan, each of them having a budget of less than $100 million while also being very successful. I think New Mutants and X-Force will be the same. They're still making expensive movies like Dark Phoenix of course.

edit:
Don't forget Blumhouse is producing a Spawn movie that cost about 10 million.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

BlueBayou posted:

I'm so excited for Infinity War. I am so happy and lucky to be alive in the era of the MCU. It's just so cool to have all these fun super hero movies with cameos and references and then big jam packed movies with all of them.
It's exciting and fun and awesome and I've been on board fully since Iron Man 1.

My dad used to read me his old Jack Kirby Fantastic Four comics when i was a kid and I *loved* Black Panther so much. And now, not only has he been in a movie already, he's getting his OWN movie and then he's going to be in a giant team up movie with Spiderman and Thor the Guardians of the Galaxy.

It's just so so so so awesome.

I read such a sad quote from Djimon Hounsou just after GotG. His son was sad because he thought a black kid could never be Spider-Man. So Djimon took/got a role in a comic book movie... playing a nameless mook working for the villain. I hope they enjoy Black Panther a lot.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

I saw Last Temptation of Christ recently, this one doesn't seem as good :/

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

got any sevens posted:

I saw Last Temptation of Christ recently, this one doesn't seem as good :/

I dunno, if this features Jesus and Mary raising a family I'm super ready for the lame yelling from christians that will come.

Honestly, I bet Mel Gibson will loving hate this movie regardless.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
EDIT: ignore me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

He got a free Caribbean vacation for his family out of it too. I think he had to skip an Academy Awards ceremony for that, where he won Best Supporting Actor (or Best Actor).

• Locked thread