Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

iajanus posted:

Credlices

Sounds like a terrifying new strain of head lice.

I was going to photoshop Credlin's face onto a louse, but after doing a google image search I now have to go take a shower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Looks like god is pissed at Victoria (The Best State) for bringing in assisted dying: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-29/thunderstorm-warning-issued-for-victoria/9207056

quote:

Victoria is set to be drenched with up to three times its monthly rainfall average mostly over two days with "unprecedented" thunderstorms due to hit the state on Friday and Saturday, which could lead to flash flooding.

The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a severe weather warning with heavy rain and thunderstorms forecast to move across the state from the west from Thursday night.

Mr Williams said there could be rainfall of up to 300 millimetres in the state's north-east ranges.

He said thunderstorms were common in November, but not on this scale.

"November traditionally is a thundery time. It's our peak season for thunderstorms and we do get heavy rain but I'm talking heavy rain as 50, 60 maybe 100 millimetres," Mr Williams said.

"When you're talking 150, up to 300, millimetres on the ranges, that makes it unprecedented."

https://twitter.com/BOM_au/status/935722176115871744

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
should have legislated assisted drying lmao

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

thatbastardken posted:

should have legislated assisted drying lmao

:madmax:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Assisted drying is a federal issue. The Coalition's global warming policies have it firmly in hand.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Was it in here that someone posted a twitter thread from someone who was part of the consultation for the bill, in favour of assisted dying and chronically ill saying it's terrible legislation? That without fixing disability welfare system it will lead to huge numbers of avoidable deaths as it would make it easier to access lethal drugs than their own medication a lot of the time? It was really interesting.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

My back lawn looks like a jungle at the moment, god only knows what it will look like after all that rain.

gently caress going out and mowing it in the 30+ degree weather though

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

You Am I posted:

My back lawn looks like a jungle at the moment, god only knows what it will look like after all that rain.

gently caress going out and mowing it in the 30+ degree weather though

Jumanji

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Coldest first half of November in 20 years followed by highest number of 30+ degree days in November.
Now possible flash floods
Good old Melbourne

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
And Shorten just told Dastyari to resign from the senate.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

WebDog posted:

And Shorten just told Dastyari to resign from the senate.

From his positions in the senate. He's not going anywhere.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

But hypocritical of him to tell someone to suck it up when doing just that got him chucked out of the house

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
The banks have asked ScoMo to go ahead with an “inquiry”.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

bigis posted:

The banks have asked ScoMo to go ahead with an “inquiry”.

Oh please Brer Fox, whatever you do, please don't throw me into the briar patch!

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
My mums joint gets smashed when it rains. She's at the bottom of a hilly court with a clogged storm drain at the base. Might have to actually sandbag it

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

The Hon. Scott Morrison, MP Treasurer Parliament House

CANBERRA ACT 2600

Via Email

Dear Treasurer

We are writing to you as the leaders of Australia’s major banks. In light of the latest wave of speculation about a parliamentary commission of inquiry into the banking and finance sector, we believe it is now imperative for the Australian Government to act decisively to deliver certainty to Australia’s financial services sector, our customers and the community.

Our banks have consistently argued the view that further inquiries into the sector, including a Royal Commission, are unwarranted. They are costly and unnecessary distractions at a time when the finance sector faces significant challenges and disruption from technology and growing global macroeconomic uncertainty.

However, it is now in the national interest for the political uncertainty to end. It is hurting confidence in our financial services system, including in offshore markets, and has diminished trust and respect for our sector and people. It also risks undermining the critical perception that our banks are unquestionably strong.

As you know our banks have acknowledged that we have not always got it right, and have made mistakes. Together with the Government and regulators, since 2014 we have been taking action to fix issues, and improve what we do and how we do it. We have collectively appeared before, or taken part in 51 substantial reviews, investigations and inquiries since the global financial crisis, 12 of which are ongoing. We continue to demonstrate our commitment to doing the right thing by our customers and seeking to ensure those genuinely affected by these mistakes are appropriately compensated.

A strong, well-regulated and well-governed banking system is in the interests of all Australians and is critical to job creation and fairness. The strong credentials of the banking system ensured Australians were spared the worst of the Global Financial Crisis, and have been fundamental to the ongoing performance of our economy despite global and domestic political turmoil.

We now ask you and your government to act to ensure a properly constituted inquiry into the financial services sector is established to put an end to the uncertainty and restore trust, respect and confidence.

In our view, a properly constituted inquiry must have several significant characteristics. It should be led by an eminent and respected ex judicial officer. Its terms of reference should be thoughtfully drafted and free of political influence. Its scope should be sufficient to cover the community’s core concerns which include banking, insurance, superannuation and nonADI finance providers. Further to avoid confusion and inconsistency, the inquiry must to the most practical extent replace other ongoing inquiries.

It is vital that the terms of any inquiry consider the many reviews and inquiries that have been conducted into the banking sector in recent years; the significant government and industry-led reforms that have been and will shortly be implemented; the 44 recommendations made in the Financial System Inquiry in 2014; and the broad and positive contribution that banks make to the Australian economy and to millions of customers and shareholders.

It is also important that any inquiry reports back in a timely manner so that we can have certainty about the findings and move forward to implement any recommendations.

We will work hard to ensure our contribution to any process helps to further strengthen Australia’s financial services system.

Throughout this, our focus will remain on our customers. We are proud of the work our people do every day to support them. That work continues.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Yiew royal commission time!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

The Turnbull government has backflipped on its opposition to a banking royal commission and will back a powerful probe into the financial services sector.

Malcolm Turnbull said the constant speculation of an inquiry was starting to undermine the financial system and the economy, making one necessary.

“The speculation about an inquiry cannot go on. It’s moving into dangerous territory where some of the proposals being put forward have the potential to seriously damage some of our most important institutions,” the Prime Minister said.

“We have got to stop the banks and our financial services sector being used as a political football.

“Cabinet has met this morning and has determined the only way we can give all Australians a greater degree of assurance is a royal commission into misconduct into the financial services industry.”

The inquiry will go for a period of 12 months.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The Turnbull government has backflipped on its opposition to a banking royal commission and will back a powerful probe into the financial services sector.

Malcolm Turnbull said the constant speculation of an inquiry was starting to undermine the financial system and the economy, making one necessary.

“The speculation about an inquiry cannot go on. It’s moving into dangerous territory where some of the proposals being put forward have the potential to seriously damage some of our most important institutions,” the Prime Minister said.

“We have got to stop the banks and our financial services sector being used as a political football.

“Cabinet has met this morning and has determined the only way we can give all Australians a greater degree of assurance is a royal commission into misconduct into the financial services industry.”

The inquiry will go for a period of 12 months.

I wonder if it's going to be a 'Yes, Minister' inquiry where they know the results before they have it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

lol Weak as poo poo Turnbull, a man that can't stand behind his own convictions

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

so much political effort expended to stop an inquiry

and they lost

it’s amazing how terrible a politician turnbull is. easily the worst at his job in living memory, even worse than abbott.

think of all the goodwill he’s squandered on issues like marriage equality, a bank inquiry, higher ed reform, citizenship changes - an endless parade of own goals. even tony abbott was more effective at pursuing an agenda.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
loving amazing.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Starshark posted:

I wonder if it's going to be a 'Yes, Minister' inquiry where they know the results before they have it.

Ask Joh Bjelke-petersen about that.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
The terms of reference set by the LNP are not going to be anything deeper than just making sure the tea room at the bank's head office is properly stocked with teabags and milk, they're just getting in first to make sure the scope is as limited as possible but gives them the ability to say "look we did it, nothing to see here"

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

turnbull is so rubbish at his job he can’t even get a union scare campaign to go right to without seriously jeapordizing a senior cabinet minister. jesus christ

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
It’s also a royal commission so it reports to the executive because the banks realised it was inevitable and would rather report it like that where it’s much easier to control rather than an inquiry reporting directly to parliament

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

why didn’t they just do this from the start

jesus christ these people are utterly incompetent. politics is complicated but it’s not hard.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

BBJoey posted:

so much political effort expended to stop an inquiry

and they lost

it’s amazing how terrible a politician turnbull is. easily the worst at his job in living memory, even worse than abbott.

think of all the goodwill he’s squandered on issues like marriage equality, a bank inquiry, higher ed reform, citizenship changes - an endless parade of own goals. even tony abbott was more effective at pursuing an agenda.

Abbott had worse policies and his legacy is setting Australia back decades on climate change. He got nothing else done and is rightly compared to Billy McMahon.

Turnbull on the other hand is straight up spineless and terrified of losing the leadership again to someone who could be Abbott. I honestly think Abbott is in the bottom two PMs ever but Turnbull will be remembered in the same vein as Simon Crean.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

hiddenmovement posted:

My mums joint gets smashed when it rains. She's at the bottom of a hilly court with a clogged storm drain at the base. Might have to actually sandbag it

Get in there and do whatever you've gotta do to clear that drain

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Imagine dictating to a government the terms of the inquiry you're prepared to accept. That's arrogance no politician can match. Also now we know there's going to be an election within the year because they need to dump it on the ALP's doorstep.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 29, 2017

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Seriously Abbott's agenda involved the worst budget in Australian history and then knighting a prince. He was hardly successful and theres a reason none of the party are looking to put him back in power.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I can see them thinking we may as well do the royal commission now while we can set the terms of reference rather than holding out until we lose government

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Lid posted:

Abbott had worse policies and his legacy is setting Australia back decades on climate change. He got nothing else done and is rightly compared to Billy McMahon.

Turnbull on the other hand is straight up spineless and terrified of losing the leadership again to someone who could be Abbott. I honestly think Abbott is in the bottom two PMs ever but Turnbull will be remembered in the same vein as Simon Crean.

i should have been clearer. abbott was certainly worse for australia (though i’d say howard is worse overall due to his prolonged position of power and setting the stage for the catastrophe that is present australia), but turnbull is more incompetent. abbott was a monster, but he had an agenda and he set out and did it. turnbull never even had an agenda, and everything he’s done since becoming pm was either to appease the reactionaries or a backdown forced by him making unforced errors or taking up untenable positions. he is simply piss poor at his job - less damaging than abbott, thank god, but completely useless.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Hobo Erotica posted:

Get in there and do whatever you've gotta do to clear that drain

Yeah get your shovel and bucket and clear that poo poo. This weather is going to be off the hook.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I disagree that Abbott successfully pursued an agenda though. Apart from axe the tax name anything else he actually did in line with his agenda successfully. His whole issue was his agenda was so poisonous nothing got past the senate ever and the public agreed with the senate.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
:byewhore:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i’d say his agenda was to get rid of labor and roll back their achievements, which he was very successful at. he hosed the climate, hosed the nbn, successfully pushed back on same sex marriage and ramped up our torture of refugees. while his budgets flopped, i’d say it’s not that his agenda failed, he just didn’t manage to go as far as he would have liked. that’s opposed to turnbull, where if we take his statements pre-leadership at face value, his priorities haven’t just not been met, but have actually gone backwards on issues he ostensibly cares about (climate, marriage equality etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Fact check: Is a person torn to pieces by a crocodile every three months in north Queensland?

The claim

Federal MP Bob Katter's response to a question about the same-sex marriage survey has turned heads across the nation, and around the world.

In a doorstop interview this month, Mr Katter said people were "entitled to their sexual proclivities, let there be a thousand blossoms bloom" before his demeanour darkened and he declared he would spend no more time on the topic.

"Because in the meantime, every three months a person is torn to pieces by a crocodile in north Queensland," he said.

Does Mr Katter's claim check out?

RMIT ABC Fact Check investigates.

The verdict

Mr Katter is wrong.

Experts told Fact Check there was no evidence to support the claim that crocodiles were killing people every three months in Queensland.

Long-term figures from the Queensland Department of Environment and Heritage Protection show a rate of one crocodile attack every three and a half years from 1985 to now.

These figures accord with data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics, which is only available to 2016.

The department's data shows fatal crocodile attacks in Queensland have increased in recent years, but not to the rate Mr Katter claims.

In the past 10 years there were six deaths, a rate of one every 20 months. There was one death per year in the past three years.

And even if Mr Katter was only considering very recent deaths in making his claim, the two most recent attacks occurred in March and October of this year, seven months apart.
Crocodiles in Australia

Fact Check considers the phrase "torn to pieces" to mean a person has died.

Australia is home to two species of crocodile — the freshwater crocodile and the saltwater crocodile, also known as the estuarine crocodile.

Management of human–crocodile conflict has largely been focused on education and awareness programs such as Crocwise, which is implemented across the north of Australia.

In a statement sent to Fact Check, a spokesperson for the Queensland Department of Environment and Heritage Protection said freshwater crocodiles posed considerably less risk to humans than estuarine crocodiles.

"There is no known case in Queensland of any person being killed by a freshwater crocodile," the spokesperson said.

Accordingly, Fact Check has assessed Mr Katter's claim in relation to attacks on humans by estuarine crocodiles.

Mr Katter's party, the Katter's Australian Party, supports greater controls over crocodiles, and introduced legislation into the Queensland Parliament in May 2017.

The then member for Dalrymple, Shane Knuth, said the Safer Waterways Bill aimed "to eliminate from our waterways all crocodiles that pose a threat to human life while protecting crocodiles from becoming endangered as a species".

Mr Katter's recent claim means he has revised a previous assertion in Federal Parliament that crocodiles in north Queensland were killing almost one person a year.
What did you think of Mr Katter's claim that a person is "torn to pieces" every three months by a crocodile in north Queensland? Have your say in the comments.

Dying from a crocodile attack

Adam Britton, a senior research associate at the Research Institute for the Environment and Livelihoods at Charles Darwin University, told Fact Check there were certain circumstances where the cause of death in a suspected crocodile attack may be ambiguous.

"Sometimes you can't be certain about how a person has died, and it's necessary to make assumptions," Dr Britton said.
a map showing crocodile country in north Queensland

"There are certain things a coroner can look for, like the amount of tearing of the skin or whether the water in a person's lungs is clear and from the surface of the water, or murky and from the bottom, which would imply they have been dragged down."

In a statement, a spokesperson for the Queensland Coroner's Court told Fact Check a death by crocodile attack would be categorised as "violent or unnatural" — a category which includes drowning and water-related deaths.

The spokesperson also specified that a medical cause of death includes two parts — the disease or condition leading directly to death, and then any other significant conditions which contribute to the fatal outcome.

In the case of a crocodile attack, the first part of a medical cause of death may be drowning, while the second part may include crocodile attack.
The basis for the claim

When asked to provide evidence supporting his claim, Mr Katter's office sent Fact Check a list of recent crocodile attacks in Australia.

The list was derived from an article from AAP, which did not include sources for its data. On the list supplied to Fact Check, one recent attack appears to have been added by Mr Katter's staff.

"Bob has worked out his claim based on an average over time," an email to Fact Check said.

The list referred to 14 attacks occurring from May 2013 to October 2017. Of these attacks, only four took place in Queensland, three of them fatal.

Using these figures, the average rate of Queensland crocodile attack deaths is one every 18 months.

Where official statistics are found

The Queensland Department of Environment and Heritage Protection publishes an official register of saltwater crocodile attacks in the state.

The department told Fact Check it verified crocodile attacks based on a number of sources, including direct reports via its hotline, police advice and coroner reports.

"EHP also investigates media reports of crocodile attacks and, when the circumstances can be independently verified, these are included in EHP's database," the statement said.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics also publishes crocodile attack fatalities as part of its causes of death data, which is released yearly.

While Mr Katter referred specifically to north Queensland in his claim, both the department's register and the ABS data cover the whole of the state of Queensland.

Professor Craig Franklin, from the School of Biological Sciences at the University of Queensland, told Fact Check estuarine crocodiles lived primarily in North Queensland and the location of attacks reflected that.

Fact Check therefore considers it is appropriate to use state-wide data in analysing Mr Katter's claim.

What the official statistics show

The Department of Environment and Heritage Protection register starts in 1985. Between then and now there have been 33 crocodile attacks in Queensland, 11 of them fatal.

The department's data shows there has been one attack every year over the 33-year period, and one death every three years.

While this is nowhere near Mr Katter's claim of a person being torn to pieces every three months, the data does show an increase in the rate of both attacks and fatalities over recent years.

According to the register there were 16 attacks in Queensland in the 20 years from 1985 to 2004, four of them fatal.

In the 13 years since 2005 there have been 17 attacks, seven of them fatal.

The statistics do not support Mr Katter's claim, whatever time period is selected.

The rate of crocodile attacks over the past decade is one every 10 months, and the rate of fatalities is one every 20 months. Looking at the figures from the past five years, the rates are the same.

Over the past three years, the rate of attacks is one every six months, and the rate of fatalities is one every year.

In 2017 there have been three attacks, two of them fatal. These most recent fatal attacks occurred seven months apart, in March and October.

In a statement, a spokesperson for the ABS told Fact Check that according to its Causes of Death data there were nine crocodile attack deaths in Queensland between 1985 and 2016.

This is the same number as shown on the department's register for that period. The register's total of 11 deaths since 1985 includes two deaths in 2017.

A 2017 research paper published by the CSIRO, Patterns of human-crocodile conflict in Queensland: a review of historical estuarine crocodile management, contains earlier figures.

The paper, whose authors include four staff from the Queensland Department of Environment and Heritage Protection, said estuarine crocodile attacks on humans (non-fatal and fatal) have been reliably recorded by the State Government since 1971.

It found that between 1971 and 2015, there were 35 recorded crocodile attacks, 12 of which were fatal.

While confirming that attacks have risen in recent years, the paper said a far greater proportion of attacks were fatal between 1971 and 1995 than between 1996 and 2015.

"There has been a significant increase in the overall rate of crocodile attacks recorded over time with a mean of 1.3 per year since 1996, most of which were non-fatal (84%)," the report said. "Prior to 1996, the mean rate of attack was 0.4 per year (1971–1995), with most attacks being fatal (80%)," it said.

The department's figures show that since 2016, there have been a further four attacks, three of them fatal, giving a total of 39 attacks and 15 fatalities since 1971, at a rate of an attack every 14 months and a death every three years.

A non-fatal attack occurred at Cape Tribulation in far north Queensland on November 28, 2017. Fact Check assesses claims based on information available at the time the claim is made, and as this attack happened after Mr Katter's claim it has not been taken into account.

Population changes

According to the CSIRO paper, the human populations of the two largest cities in north Queensland, Townsville and Cairns, increased by 25 per cent between 2005 and 2015.

The report also noted the population of estuarine crocodiles in Queensland had increased since becoming protected in 1974, though experts told Fact Check there had been limited crocodile population surveys for a number of years.

The CSIRO researchers found increasing human and crocodile populations in the Northern Territory to be related to an increase in attacks.

The Queensland Department of Environment and Heritage Protection also commented on the issue of population changes when it made a submission to a parliamentary inquiry into the May 2017 Safer Waterways Bill introduced by Katter's Australian Party.

The submission found increased human populations in north Queensland led to more people interacting with crocodiles.

"The rapid and significant expansion of the human population, the popularity of water-based activities in croc-country, and the suspected recovery in the crocodile population have resulted in an increased likelihood of crocodile sightings and physical interactions between humans and crocodiles," the submission said.

Dr Britton told Fact Check that despite increasing populations, the risk crocodiles posed to humans was decreasing.

"It looks to us as well that the risk is actually going down per person. As you get more people moving into these areas and the population is increasing, even though the crocodile population is also increasing, the relative risk to people is not going up," Dr Britton said.

What the experts say

Dr Britton said Mr Katter's claim was "wildly inaccurate".

"The statement [Mr Katter] made, that someone is being ripped apart every three months, is just not true," he said.

"On average, the number of croc attacks in Queensland is actually extremely low."

Dr Britton said there would always be a risk posed to humans by crocodiles but education, awareness and management policies implemented by Australian governments had been successful in minimising this risk.

"You only have to look at other countries where saltwater crocodiles are present to see that the number of attacks per capita is vastly higher than here in Australia because they don't have a particularly well-developed, or even any kind of management program that keeps people safe," he said.

"So when Bob Katter is out there trying to tell people that the policies aren't working, I think he's completely missing the point and completely ignoring all the great work that's happening here to try and mitigate the risk."

Dr Britton said Mr Katter's repeated push for crocodile culls was potentially dangerous.

"If Mr Katter is implying to people that if you remove a crocodile from an area that it's suddenly safe to go swimming, you might actually see more people being attacked by crocodiles," he said.

"They're ignoring the advice that we're giving them about being safe around crocodiles."

Professor Franklin, who has been studying crocodiles since 1990 and currently runs the largest crocodile tracking program in the world, told Fact Check Mr Katter's statement was "incorrect".

"The evidence would say that information is incorrect — it's false," Professor Franklin said.

"Attacks are so few and so irregular that to look at patterns is difficult — statistically it would be very difficult to make or draw a conclusion."

Professor Franklin added that most attacks were the result of human misadventure, and that a crocodile cull was not the answer.

"It's a sad situation, but the take-home message is we need to do more to educate people."

The Queensland Department of Environment and Heritage Protection declined to comment specifically on Mr Katter's claim.

"EHP cannot comment on Mr Katter's remarks other than to provide its own verified data," the department said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-...c&sf174754562=1

• Locked thread