Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The JL/Infinity War movie fight will be the greatest ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I like construction worker Thanos he reminds me of Mussolini and Bane. Although he doesn't have Tom Hardy's hilarious voice. I'm just saying scary master in armor isn't something I'm champing at the bit to see.

Also I really dig blonde ScarJo, I feel it's the best ScarJo.

Overall movie looks a little flat but I'm sure as long as A) There are still some quips and B) Someone dies and the whole theater goes "Huuuuuhhhhh!!!!!" I'll be happy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RBA Starblade posted:

They both look pretty drat bad.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

liking bum fights in 2017 seems a little gauche

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They both look pretty drat bad.

No one will win but someone will lose.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I hope the CGI character murders everyone and then has a 55 minute long sex scene with the personification of Death

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Zzulu posted:

I hope the CGI character murders everyone and then has a 55 minute long sex scene with the personification of Death

That's what im looking for when I want a cool scene.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

I think the idea is that Thor and Hulk were two of the last hold outs who didn't have that kind of default irreverent, quippy personality. Possibly BP and Cap are still distinct from this tho.

"Loki is my brother."

"He killed 87 people."

"He was adopted."

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Also don't remember Hulk being "quippy" (the most overused word in this thread, nay, this universe) in Ragnarok.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Zzulu posted:

So, Sausage Party.

Really though, I am curious where they will go with both Marvel and DC now that Justice League is done, and Marvel is capping off Thanos after a ten year build-up. I was hoping they'd do some time wankery with Kang but he's tied up in Fox. Kang though would be a pretty awesome villain although I can't think of any that would be more "epic" other than Galactus or Doom, but again, that's tied up in Fox.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

"But Hulk like raging fire. Thor like smoldering fire"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Diabetic posted:

Really though, I am curious where they will go with both Marvel and DC now that Justice League is done, and Marvel is capping off Thanos after a ten year build-up. I was hoping they'd do some time wankery with Kang but he's tied up in Fox. Kang though would be a pretty awesome villain although I can't think of any that would be more "epic" other than Galactus or Doom, but again, that's tied up in Fox.

Marvel's said they want to back off on the EPIC BATTLE WITH THE WORLD AT STAKE stuff after Infinity War. If they do, though, I still think Shuma-Gorath would be a nice next epic bad guy.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

I've grown increasingly suspicious with the idea of "hate-watching," or "ironically liking," or "so bad it's good," over the years. If you find yourself drawn to something in spite of yourself you probably like it. Funnily enough this means I no longer accept the idea of a movie being "just" fun. A fun movie (like, for ex., Underworld 7 or whatever the one with the Norwegian ice vampires is) is good---it's just not all good movies are fun (The Black Stallion for ex., is the prettiest night-tonic for sleeping ever shot).

This.
People who have this mentality about movies (or any artistic work) are far too concerned about the intent of the creators, or whether a movie has the right set of signifiers to be considered officially "good". Just allow yourself to have an experience and focus on your reaction to the work.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

So you're saying DC fans are modern day Sega fans?

Dreamcast = Snyder makes a lot of sense to me.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Shageletic posted:

Snyder does what Whedon’t!

*obnoxious guitar riff*

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

"But Hulk like raging fire. Thor like smoldering fire"

Is that a quip? What are the parameters for quipping? Someone tell me what funny is cuz clearly I have no idea.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I assumed any quick funny line usually done to put down someone is a quip.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Shageletic posted:

Dreamcast was ahead of its time, so I agree with this.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
What is the DC equivalent of Nights Into Dreams?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

when you think about it bvs is basically sonic adventure 2 except the blue hero dies and the black hero lives

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

What is the DC equivalent of Nights Into Dreams?

Something by Grant Morrison... Animal Man?

Serf
May 5, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

to steal from the other great cined fight

"begun, the cined wars have"

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Hate to break it to you but the film CITIZEN KANE is a little bit cynical.

love this forum

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Cythereal posted:

Marvel's said they want to back off on the EPIC BATTLE WITH THE WORLD AT STAKE stuff after Infinity War. If they do, though, I still think Shuma-Gorath would be a nice next epic bad guy.

This is a time-honoured play from comics to assure you that the epic, world-shaking stakes of the upcoming summer event won't be cheapened by the epic, world-shaking stakes of the upcoming end-of-summer event.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Movie Fight always seemed pretty dumb when movies are more than a single picture

especially when people usually pick the blurriest possible ones

Hate to break it to you but the film CITIZEN KANE is a little bit cynical.

I moreso meant her belief that he was always a horrible person who had no intentions of doing right by his fellows.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Conal Cochran posted:

This.
People who have this mentality about movies (or any artistic work) are far too concerned about the intent of the creators, or whether a movie has the right set of signifiers to be considered officially "good". Just allow yourself to have an experience and focus on your reaction to the work.

Right. The corollary of this is that no movie, from Underworld 7 to Salo to A Serbian Film to Hostel to My Little Pony: Pinky Pie's Day Off, is "just [for] fun." That itself implies a success or fail state, "was the movie successful, a balance of creativity and fidelity to the Eli Roth-Reboot My Little Pony shared universe?" Actually a movie is successful if it evokes a concordant response in you like, now I want to go create my own thing, even if that thing is just a scathing two thousand word essay against Zack Snyder's worship of chromed male abdominals. All that the binary question creates is Culture War bullshit or, "what do the Seahawks draft first: O-line or wideouts?"

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 30, 2017

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I'm not a wild comicbook fan, but any-and-all smug "pft. What's there to be excited about a bunch of CGI battles?" clearly never got excited about Super Smash Brothers and it's ilk.

Dude! It's Donkey Kong and Mario!
*sequel comes out including villians*
OH MY GOD AND NOW THEY'RE FIGHTING GANONDORF AND BOWSER! :supaburn::supaburn:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Yestermoment posted:

I'm not a wild comicbook fan, but any-and-all smug "pft. What's there to be excited about a bunch of CGI battles?" clearly never got excited about Super Smash Brothers and it's ilk.

if marvel made movies as good as nintendo made games you'd be onto something here

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Earthbound is my Avengers.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Yestermoment posted:

I'm not gonna lie. If there were porg Easter Eggs in the trailer I'd make a reaction video.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Disney buys Nintendo leading to the Master Hand smashing Thanos. Marvel v Capcom v Smash Bros the movie

The sequel teases DC and Superman as Disney consumes all, ravenous as Kirby.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

RBA Starblade posted:

Disney buys Nintendo leading to the Master Hand smashing Thanos. Marvel v Capcom v Smash Bros the movie

With movies like Pixels, Wreck-It Ralph, Lego Movie, and Ready Player One we're making steady progress towards the goal.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Well Jack did create a lot of them.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Right. The corollary of this is that no movie, from Underworld 7 to Salo to A Serbian Film to Hostel to My Little Pony: Pinky Pie's Day Off, is "just [for] fun." That itself implies a success or fail state, "was the movie successful, a balance of creativity and fidelity to the Eli Roth-Reboot My Little Pony shared universe?" Actually a movie is successful if it evokes a concordant response in you like, now I want to go create my own thing, even if that thing is just a scathing two thousand word essay against Zack Snyder's worship of chromed male abdominals. All that the binary question creates is Culture War bullshit or, "what do the Seahawks draft first: O-line or wideouts?"

O-line, duh. Baldwin and Richardson are fine, their OL is a trash fire.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Yestermoment posted:

Edit: Man, covering my rear end here, clearly this is all what you said in more :words: so full admission of guilt and revising as "head hanging in shame"...

The appeal isn't in the CGI itself, it's in what the CGI communicates about the game. It's a promotional trailer specifically promoting features in the game. "Imagine what you might do"

Really, the use of existing characters nearly wholesale is pretty common to fighting games. Android 18 was the blueprint for, ahem, Blue Mary in Garou Densetsu/Fatal Fury 3, for instance. Street Fighter 2 onward has a very overt relationship with Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Rose is Lisa Lisa, but what should be more of a tip off is that "Nash/Charlie" is also a Jojo's Bizarre Adventure inspired character. He's a remediation of Kakoyin Noriyaki, right down to how he dies in Street Fighter Alpha 2.

There's references to real world fighters as well, fighting games have become focalized/fixated on the sale of fictional/fantasy crossovers. Mind you a lot of the imagination and interesting parts have been lobotomized.

But what was interesting about good fighting game scenario design was never allowing a clear answer to "Who would win?" The point was that in a fighting game, you decide. But in a game like Smash Bros. which invokes more overtly the idea of playing with toys, yes, when you release a CGI trailer that is visibly invoking the language of a commercial that would show money shots of "Kung-Fu Grip", "Battle Damage", "Glows in the Dark", you are effectively telling your audience that their toy has a very exciting new feature.

Corrosion fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 30, 2017

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
drat was if jojo was in the mcu

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Crows Turn Off posted:

Well, there are 6 Stones, but yeah. The only one we don't know about yet is the Soul Stone.

Thanos is the six-fingered man? Count Rugen got fat

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
isn't wakanda supposed to have some special room where the king talks to dead people. thats soul stone

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
This is the best tweet about Loki as Wiseau.
https://twitter.com/bilrac/status/927215733318307840

Shageletic posted:

Agreed, GOAT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This fuggin thread, of course you don't appreciate thanos walking out of a portal wearing a golden wifebeater, not even pretending anybody in front of him is a threat.

:qq:wheres his gollldddddd hat he looked better beforrr

• Locked thread