Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, it makes perfect sense to me that Thawne is just alive because he skirted off to an alternate universe to be a Nazi.

Bruceski posted:

Wait... if the goal was to get Supergirl's heart, why did they invade Earth-1? "I've got a location on the target, she's on another Earth surrounded by superpowered people. We're not fully prepared yet, let's go attack there instead."

Maybe they determined that the combined heroic force of Earth 1 was less of a threat than the combined heroic force of Earth 38 with Superman, Manhunter, and whoever else is around (like they've implied Batman)?

I mean, the answer is "we wanted to do a crossover" but I could accept that explanation if it really bothers you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

Like for poo poo's sake throw him in the magic prison or whatever.

Nah he can't do that because

But a few episodes ago he was perfectly willing to toss an innocent in there just because he didn't like him / he might be a meta and a villain

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also Thawne worked with/for the Nazis on Earth-1 at one point too, and that had nothing to do with Barry Allen. Thawne doesn't need a reason to be a massive inflamed prick; he just is one already.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, there's nothing I can think of about Thawne's past that indicates he'd take a stance against Nazism, genocide, or racism.

I actually kind of appreciated that aspect of the crossover. Not only were they willing to take some of their main actors and have them play completely repugnant Nazi scum versions of their characters but they were willing to take Thawne (as played by the more regular actor) and just go ahead and make him a Nazi collaborator with no excuses or justifications. I was very much expecting something slightly more ambiguous.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, there's nothing I can think of about Thawne's past that indicates he'd take a stance against Nazism, genocide, or racism.

I actually kind of appreciated that aspect of the crossover. Not only were they willing to take some of their main actors and have them play completely repugnant Nazi scum versions of their characters but they were willing to take Thawne (as played by the more regular actor) and just go ahead and make him a Nazi collaborator with no excuses or justifications. I was very much expecting something slightly more ambiguous.
It's not really a matter of stance, I just don't see Thawne giving a poo poo. Thawne's motivations begin and end with the Flash and himself.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
They threw Thawne in the pipeline in season 2 but then the timeline started to break. Again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, he's a psychopathic egomaniac. Does he really need a justification for signing up for power and free reign to kill people in a place where there's no true threat to him? I mean the whole Legion of Doom plot didn't have anything to do with Barry and was just about protecting himself. So he found a home where he's safe, powerful, and gets to be as evil as he wants to be.

I guess its a little odd he'd sign up for the cross world stuff knowing first hand the threat of Earth 1's heroes but from the way it played out he just wanted to gently caress with Barry some more. And we've clearly learned by now Thawne doesn't actually regard any of the Earth 1 heroes as true threats. And he claims to have once took down Superman.*

But yes, Barry just letting him go was dumb and probably makes Barry accountable for Thawne's next round of mass murder.

*I think we're all sleeping on the possible implication of a future Thawne on Supergirl storyline.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Give Thawne and Darhke their own show.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

is the whole barry not killing people a comic reference or something? to me a common turnoff for a number of network tv shows, even ones not superhero related, is when a protagonist refuses to kill someone when it would objectively be for the greater good for everyone, and it just reeks of reaching some network tv age rating requirement or something. didn't arrow go through a phase where oliver wasn't supposed to kill people or something? For the sake of keeping hold of an antagonist for future episodes makes sense i guess. and, after all, you want these superhero shows to be acceptable for teens on network tv it seems

bleh whatev. all i know is i seem to like the rated R superhero movies more than the pg13 ones but that's just me

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Invalid Validation posted:

Give Thawne and Darhke their own show.

They already paired them together in S2 of Legends of Tomorrow, along with Malcolm Merlyn.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea do more.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The next Crossover should be The Legion of Three Two Worlds

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This crossover just made me really want more JLU.

God I love JLU.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

This crossover just made me really want more JLU.

God I love JLU.

This. That series should have lasted longer. Christ, we got a whole episode about Booster Gold, goddamnit.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I mean, if you count Justice League it was three and a half seasons. And we have the rest of the 90s DC stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm assuming they used Thawne instead of Barry as a Nazi because they literally just got done with evil Barry as a villain.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

muscles like this! posted:

I'm assuming they used Thawne instead of Barry as a Nazi because they literally just got done with evil Barry as a villain.

Who cares more Wellsthawne! :neckbeard:

Also "Superman's fast. I'm faster :smug:" is peak Eobard

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Also, it's subtle, but I love how Eobard's go-to response for people making fun of his name is Actually I'm Extremely Not Mad, You're the One Who's Mad. It really drives home how petty he is that he insists on reminding people that no one will remember their name but the world will know his name. His stupid, stupid future name.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Lord Bude posted:

It's a parallel to him being the Mayor on Earth 1.
Mayor of a single city in America isn't really parallel to absolute ruler of (most of?) the world though.

STAC Goat posted:

But yes, Barry just letting him go was dumb and probably makes Barry accountable for Thawne's next round of mass murder.
I had a similar thought when Supergirl gave herself up so she wouldn't be responsible for anyone dying - what about all the people evil Kara's going to kill once she's got your heart?

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

didn't arrow go through a phase where oliver wasn't supposed to kill people or something?
As I remember it, he said he wasn't going to kill any more and then he sort of gradually started killing people again and no one said anything about it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

muscles like this! posted:

Maybe but I also think Thawne worked better, especially since Oliver X and Kara X had their whole icky marriage plotline so a third wheel Barry X would have just been odd. Using Thawne made him stand out and have his own place. Kara X and Oliver X were both distorted versions of their hero counterparts but Thawne was just Thawne.

But yeah, Barry fighting an evil Barry would have been a tad redundant.

Tiggum posted:

As I remember it, he said he wasn't going to kill any more and then he sort of gradually started killing people again and no one said anything about it.
Arrow's entire 5 year journey has been a back and forth of whether killing is ever justified, when is it just an excuse, and what kind of monster are you if you give in to the killing. It very much did not go unaddressed and was the main theme of last season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oliver basically kills people if he has to but doesn't set out to do it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, but it took awhile to come to peace with that. And odds are it will haunt him again. But Season 5's main storyline was basically Oliver wrestling with the consequences and morality of his killing.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Here's a question: how did Thawne end up fighting Superman? Did he travel to the future of Supergirl's Earth and fight him there? Does Superman show up at some point in Earth-1's future? Did he kill a good Superman on Earth-X?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

The next Crossover should be The Legion of Three Two Worlds

The perfect Arrowverse Legion of Doom is Thawne, Merlyn, Darhk, Grodd, Lillian, Laurel, and Zod (assuming Zod actually shows up again on Supergirl and wasn't just a one-off cameo).

Fight me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ShakeZula posted:

Here's a question: how did Thawne end up fighting Superman? Did he travel to the future of Supergirl's Earth and fight him there? Does Superman show up at some point in Earth-1's future? Did he kill a good Superman on Earth-X?
Wells said there were 53 Karas and 53 Olivers, presumably meaning everyone has a double on every world. So Earth 1's Superman and Supergirl just haven't shown up yet.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ShakeZula posted:

We have no idea. He said "it happens in the future" so it could be anything (except the Earth X thing, since that would have been in the past).

Thawne's effectively the embodiment of "unreliable narrator". He could be full of poo poo. He could be describing an upcoming Supergirl episode. He could be predicting the next crossover. He could be talking about Earth 25. Who knows?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

STAC Goat posted:

We have no idea. He said "it happens in the future" so it could be anything (except the Earth X thing, since that would have been in the past).

Thawne's effectively the embodiment of "unreliable narrator". He could be full of poo poo. He could be describing an upcoming Supergirl episode. He could be predicting the next crossover. He could be talking about Earth 25. Who knows?

He's a speedster, he could have done it during the episode.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yes, its entirely plausible and within character that when Kara said "my cousin will get you" Thawne's ego was just wounded so he speeded off to another Earth to fight a Superman just to feel better.

I actually kind of like the idea that while we know Thawne as being utterly pettily obsessed with Barry that his part in this scheme could have been motivated by some petty hatred of Kara or Clark that comes from some future/past/alternate rivalry from when we last saw him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The way the exchange played between them I'm pretty sure Thawne explicitly meant Kara's cousin, Earth-38 Clark/Superman. Though knowing Thawne, it was probably either a draw or Clark ruined his rear end but he ran away and called it a victory.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, my hope is definitely for a future storyline where Thawne goes to Supergirl and fights her and Clark which in turn makes him hate them and motivates his signing up with Nazis to kill her.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

The perfect Arrowverse Legion of Doom is Thawne, Merlyn, Darhk, Grodd, Lillian, Laurel, and Zod (assuming Zod actually shows up again on Supergirl and wasn't just a one-off cameo).

Fight me.

You forgot The Trickster.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

You forgot The Trickster.

Aw poo poo you're right!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

nine-gear crow posted:

Aw poo poo you're right!

What Breacher? Can he be a villain?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

XboxPants posted:

What Breacher? Can he be a villain?

:mad: DO I GET TO KILL ANYONE

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Okay, fine.

The perfect Arrowverse Legion of Doom is Thawne, Merlyn, Darhk, Grodd, Lillian, Laurel, Trickster, Breacher, and Zod.

Fight me everyone, I guess...

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
This crossover has reminded me that Reverse Flash is the best villian. Not just because his story was the most personal, well thought out and acted, but his design is so terrifying. I know nothing about the Flash comics but the odd colour scheme of yellow and black with red lightning in live TV really works for me. Coupled with the blur effect and the weird headlight glowing eyes, it's really menacing in a monster kind of way.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Really liked the whole crossover. but this is like the third time team flash just lets a villain walk away this season. Have they all forgotten prisons are a thing?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I mean, every time they try to kill Thawne, they just made things worse. Letting him live probably saved the whole universe.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Atreiden posted:

Really liked the whole crossover. but this is like the third time team flash just lets a villain walk away this season. Have they all forgotten prisons are a thing?

whine whine whine if they use No Lunch Supermax, whine whine whine if they DONT use No Lunch Supermax. What do you want...some sort of process in place where they get put in prison for a set amount of time based on the crime they committed? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Wells said there were 53 Karas and 53 Olivers, presumably meaning everyone has a double on every world. So Earth 1's Superman and Supergirl just haven't shown up yet.

Presumably their Krypton didn't explode, since that's the easiest out.