Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

sexpig by night posted:

oh yea I'm 100% sure there's gonna be a 'death' or near death scare that gets undone before the credits roll or resolved with 'they'll live...but we don't know when they'll wake up' to set up for that stand alone movie.

To be clear, I get it. The MCU is different, Avengers movies are the big crown jewels, you have to treat them 'right' for the audience and yea 'right' in those cases almost always means 'overwhelming and dramatic win for the good guys'

I suppose Thanos could erase half of all life including the og avengers at the end of pt 1 and then the new avengers have to rally and confuse him into bringing them back for the last epic battle in pt 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

purple death ray posted:

I mean where is the lie

Tony’s a bro.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I wonder if we'll see used the infinity stones combined to do weird stuff, like if Thanos uses the Time and Space stone to bring back heroes and villains from the past before using the mind stone to control them to fight the heroes. Really I just want Quicksilver back because of how much Whedon botched him in AOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Is there a reason why Thanos doesn't have his helmet?

Because I got to say, I'm finding it hard to take him seriously without it. He looks really goofy.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Retro Futurist posted:

Wait what's the release date on these? I'm seeing BP in March and Infinity in April but that doesn't sound right

Dexie posted:

Because I got to say, I'm finding it hard to take him seriously without it. He looks really goofy.

I like it, reminds me of his Annihilation look - which is pretty much the only story with Thanos I've actually read. He gets clowned pretty hard in that one tho.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Retro Futurist posted:

Wait what's the release date on these? I'm seeing BP in March and Infinity in April but that doesn't sound right

BP is February, IW is May. Then Ant Man 2, probably around August, then CM probably February after, then IWII May after, etc

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dexie posted:

It's his Space Summer outfit. Sleeveless shirt, brisk shorts, no helmet; perfect to show off his guns to death and pick up a smoothie after tearing down a couple of civilizations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm more interested in what Brie Larson's Captain Marvel is going to look like than I am in Infinity War. It's confirmed she's going to make a cameo in IW right?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dexie posted:

casual Thanos has to have something badass to power up into.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It is an established canonical fact that Darkseid sits in chairs but Thanos dresses down.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

teagone posted:

I'm more interested in what Brie Larson's Captain Marvel is going to look like than I am in Infinity War. It's confirmed she's going to make a cameo in IW right?

I think her name has gotten out in some casting or press documents, but the Russos have been coy on if she'll actually appear. I'm thinking probably not, or she'll be one of the after-credits things. She is confirmed for Avengers 4 though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

teagone posted:

I believe she’s confirmed for Avengers 4.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hope they have Black Panther fight Black Dwarf and after beating the poo poo out of BD, BP just says "I think I broke my hand".

Lots of good stuff, I want to see Thor try to explain whats going on to earth to Quill, I want to see the Guardians go to earth. Looks like there's dead Asgardians so I'm really hoping they aren't all killed off, unless they're going to do the return of Asgard they did in the comics, which could totally happen.

Could Captain Marvel appear in the mid or end credit sequence?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Thanos will get clothing damage every time he gets into a fight. In the climax Captain America will assemble the movie theater audience to rub the screen and defeat him.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I'm sorry, what?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

twistedmentat posted:

I hope they have Black Panther fight Black Dwarf and after beating the poo poo out of BD, BP just says "I think I broke my hand".

Lots of good stuff, I want to see Thor try to explain whats going on to earth to Quill, I want to see the Guardians go to earth. Looks like there's dead Asgardians so I'm really hoping they aren't all killed off, unless they're going to do the return of Asgard they did in the comics, which could totally happen.

Could Captain Marvel appear in the mid or end credit sequence?
It sounded like, based on the end of Thor 3, that they might do the 'Asgard on Earth' thing for a bit. But of course who knows since they are going to get attacked by Thanos early in the new film.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

fruit on the bottom posted:

I forget how the exact argument went but something something Tony Stark ends up unwittingly creating the same kind of philosophy and control that Hydra was about and ultimately he was the villain of the MCU. Also Ultron was either an example of this, or he represented Marxism. Somehow.

Also Captain America is a libertarian?

Give or take.

It's closer to "Tony makes weapons, so he is a symbol for the military-industrial complex, and is therefore personally responsible for all the evils involved in that, and HYDRA is part of that, so Tony is responsible for that; therefore Tony Stark is the leader of HYDRA."

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Rand Brittain posted:

It's closer to "Tony makes weapons, so he is a symbol for the military-industrial complex, and is therefore personally responsible for all the evils involved in that, and HYDRA is part of that, so Tony is responsible for that; therefore Tony Stark is the leader of HYDRA."

That's dumb. Everyone knows that Captain America is/was HYDRA.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah that sounds closer. I honestly didn’t try very hard to remember.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FlamingLiberal posted:

It sounded like, based on the end of Thor 3, that they might do the 'Asgard on Earth' thing for a bit. But of course who knows since they are going to get attacked by Thanos early in the new film.

I'd love if they had a scene where Asgard appears over some farmers field and Thor gives him a pickup full of gold to buy the land.

havok9
Aug 16, 2005

Why does Tony have a reactor back in his chest?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

havok9 posted:

Why does Tony have a reactor back in his chest?

He doesn't. His suits have them.

havok9
Aug 16, 2005

Cythereal posted:

He doesn't. His suits have them.

His.... jogging suit?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

havok9 posted:

His.... jogging suit?

I don't think that's an arc reactor.

Could be wrong, though, maybe he's wearing armor under it. Age of Ultron and Homecoming both had Tony walking around without a reactor in his chest.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

havok9 posted:

His.... jogging suit?

New York streets are rough, duder.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG64l1sAExM

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?
I'm pretty sure that jogging suit will somehow turn into armor.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Loser_Rex posted:

'this is my armor for Russian deployments'

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

sexpig by night posted:

'this is my armor for Russian deployments'

It's the Iron Bro armor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My favorite part of this thread is the same 4 people who keep chiming in to say that Evans has wanted to quit being Cap for like 5 years despite numerous other people disproving that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You're welcome.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Loser_Rex posted:

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me if it was like the watch-->glove in Civil War.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I know some of you won't care about this but https://www.thewrap.com/justice-league-zack-snyder-batman-v-superman-wonder-woman/
The TL:DR is that executive meddling hosed up Justice League, hard. And the biggest reason the movie wasn't pushed back after Snyder left was because Kevin Tsujihara wanted the movie out before the WB merger with AT&T so they could get a bonus.

Again, as a guy who loved BvS and MoS, this really pisses me off. Snyder's plans for JL after BvS was to go into a lighter direction anyway, BvS was supposed to be the heroes darkest moment, and Supermans death would have inspired the heroes to be more...heroic, I guess is the word.

Should be noted that part of the reason BvS got the negative reception it did was due to studios mandating Snyder cut half hour from the movie. The extended cut has largely been more positively received.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

McCloud posted:

Should be noted that part of the reason BvS got the negative reception it did was due to studios mandating Snyder cut half hour from the movie. The extended cut has largely been more positively received.

Jesus so he turns in the extended cut, the studious says to trim off a half hour, and your genius auteur cuts every scene showing Clark being a reporter, the scene where he saves as many people as possible after the wheelchair bomb, and the bit about the lead lined wheelchair hiding the bomb.
Studio says trim 30 minutes and the director decides what needs to go is every scene of his hero being a hero, basically single handedly sparking the never ending argument about how lovely Superman is in these movies.

And the theatrical cut is still at least 30 minutes too long.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

purple death ray posted:

Jesus so he turns in the extended cut, the studious says to trim off a half hour, and your genius auteur cuts every scene showing Clark being a reporter, the scene where he saves as many people as possible after the wheelchair bomb, and the bit about the lead lined wheelchair hiding the bomb.
Studio says trim 30 minutes and the director decides what needs to go is every scene of his hero being a hero, basically single handedly sparking the never ending argument about how lovely Superman is in these movies.

And the theatrical cut is still at least 30 minutes too long.

First of all, the studios should have anticipated the running time of Snyders first cut, but got greedy and trimmed half an hour so they could fit in more showings. The point of contention that I have is that if they hadn't been greedy, the critical reception of BvS would have been less harsh.

Second: In a movie that introduces Batman, Lex, Wonder Woman, and has to give time to their supporting casts, what do you cut? You can't cut any of Batmans stuff, because it has to establish why he wants to fight superman. You can't cut Lex's stuff for the same reasons. And you can't cut Diana's stuff, because she has little time as is. So you cut the character who has had most exposure and is most established.

This did short change supermans character, true, but I can understand why, because there's not much else to cut.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 30, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BrianWilly posted:

I would honestly be shocked if any major character dies a permanent death in IW. I just don't get that sort of...tone...from the Russos' work in this universe.

I think they are actually going to be killing plenty of people. From the vanity fair interview and just reading how they’ve built this and how they want to move forward I’m getting a real feeling that they are very aware that actors are only around for so long and big focus of their retrospective on IM1 was how a lot of the integral players in putting Marvel Studios together did their part... and moved on. Maybe they won’t kill everyone, but I think time actually passing and actors coming and going is giving Marvel a real unique opportunity to have a cinematic universe that grows and moves on. They have A TON of characters to still introduce, a fuckton of stories to explore and the foundation to do whatever the gently caress they want and they know it.

I just want all the marvel comics as movies. Except Trouble. I could do without that one.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 30, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

McCloud posted:

Second: In a movie that introduces Batman, Lex, Wonder Woman, and has to give time to their supporting casts, what do you cut?

Lex.

Just have Doomsday land for no reason on the Capitol building. It would be better.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That movie needed him. Lex is a weird personality, but without him there wouldn't have been any personality at all.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

For starters the Waynes getting killed is shown both at the start of the movie and during the MARTHA flashback so you could lose one of those. In their defense the audience might have forgotten since the beginning of the movie happened seven hours earlier.

The Batmobile chase scene is completely pointless but Im sure the executives demanded a Batmobile scene so they could sell toys.

The "Flash appears through a time gate" scene could have 100% gotten cut and would only have made the movie better. Knightmare is more important but there's still a lot of padding there. They could have made that point in probably half the time. The Doomsday fight is also like an entire hour of the runtime and most of it is DD yelling at nothing and shooting off energy waves. The whole sequence of Superman getting 'killed' in space is completely pointless except Snyder wasn't going to waste an opportunity to shoehorn in another DKR reference.

That's the movie's biggest problem w/r/t runtime is not any individual scene but that basically every scene is puffed out by more minutes/seconds than they need. You could edit it down even further and lose nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The thing is...what precisely would delaying Justice League even further have accomplished, besides dropping the Superstache into an even uncannier valley? Zack Snyder wasn't going to come back. There was never going to be some sort of immaculately-Snyderized Justice League film no matter how long you push back the release. And even further reshoots would cost even more millions of dollars. It sucks that Snyder had to leave and the half-baked studio scramble in the wake of his departure ended up making a pretty half-baked film, but I'm don't really know what else we should've expected anyone to have done in that sort of situation.

And like...I'm gonna be very blunt here...but if this film really needed that much more work and labor to fix up than anticipated, then maybe the footage that Snyder had left for the studio to work with just wasn't very workable or cohesive in the first place. I've said this elsewhere, but Snyder filmed six months of this movie and was in post-production for seven more months before he left due to personal tragedy; that's plenty of time to have to work on a film. For comparison, Captain America: Civil War filmed for about four months and was released less than eight months later.

Look, I'm sure that if you love the Snyder films, it's easy to say something like "Well, see, the reason that the footage wasn't cohesive was because the studio was butting in in the first place! They should've just let Snyder do everything he wanted to right from the start and that would've been perfect!"...but y'know what? They'd tried that already. And people did not like those results. MoS and BvS did not win any favors and Suicide Squad just cemented the fact that audiences were not responding well to the tone of this universe.

So the studio went to the director they hired and started dictating course-corrections? Good. That means that they tried to do their jobs and I for one am not gonna begrudge them that. What would've actually been really dumb is if they'd looked at all the reactions to the DCEU and just said "Hmm, it seems that this isn't really working out as well for us as it should...but whatever, let's just keep on doing the exact same thing in spite of obvious indications that it's not what people actually want us to do!" Like, it sucks for any auteur to be railroaded by higher-ups, but do we really think Snyder is the first director to ever be handed notes on a project in response to viewer reactions? Particular a note as boilerplate as "We need to make this less dark?"

And I'm really not trying to depict studio executives, of all people, as innocent blameless victims here; Justice League's production was a grand ol' mishmash of remarkable clusterfucks and there's plenty of blame to go around all corners. But I feel like people are developing this sort of...confirmation-biased narrative where Zack Snyder's Unrealized True Vision of the Justice League must surely have been so very great and literally everyone except Zack Snyder is to blame for whatever we ended up with instead.

• Locked thread