Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

The best thing about this Tennessee disaster is Kiffin has turned into a Twitter all-star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Can someone explain to me why a program like Tennessee can't find a coach? Was the planning just that bad or is there something else going on?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

God drat.

Grittybeard posted:

They should absolutely do this, which is why I'd resign myself to Hoke for a year (or hire Jim Grobe to hold down the program for a year, he's obviously willing).

I really hope they don't ask Hoke to stay on as coach, only because it'd be even more humiliating after he declines.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/936030735714213888

:lol: if you thought there were actual football reasons for this hire. Good old boys to the end.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Edit: wtf did I do wrong lol

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 30, 2017

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Jesus loving Christ, Tennessee.

I have a middle school academic team tournament I'm reading for on Saturday and THAT poo poo is more organized and reasonable than your coaching search. I think if one more coach turns them down they should be required to just cancel football forever.

Discarded in favor of Purdue, Oklahoma State... Duke.

In personal news I should be panicking at the thought that FSU is going to have to jump on this carousel late but frankly I'm just interested to see what happens. It will really be something to see us poo poo this entire year away as hard as possible while Jimbo spends all season telling our fans we should trust and believe in our team and have patience and stick together because we're a family and then... uh... bail on the entire loving program and everyone in it because he doesn't want to have to tell a couple of terribly underperforming coaches they're fired?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Spacebump posted:

Can someone explain to me why a program like Tennessee can't find a coach? Was the planning just that bad or is there something else going on?

Basically, they hosed up their initial hire attempt that the AD is now under serious fire and is unlikely to last long term. That means any coach he hires will probably be under a new AD very soon, and that guy will probably want his own guy. Plus they're a program with really high expectations that has compete against a bunch of other power house programs and it will take a long time to get back into a national contender.

EDIT: I wasn't even alive the last time Herm Edwards coached at the collegiate level

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Arizona State really does let anybody in.

Also I wish BigHerm were here to see all this.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Benne posted:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/936030735714213888

:lol: if you thought there were actual football reasons for this hire. Good old boys to the end.

Lmao
https://mobile.twitter.com/JoshCox77/status/936031916129525760

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Manning is going to regret the day he got involved in this coaching search.

“Vol Nation Forums” posted:

As a player, Peyton is great but he his ruining his image as an ambassador for UT! Why don’t he just get all the way in bed with Haslam and go work with the Browns , then they can both leave our Vols alone. I said it before, he is just butt hurt because did two things he couldn’t, beat the Gators and win the Natty!

That “minority” is quickly not becoming a “minority” because it’s starting to become clear that Peyton is backing the wrong people

This is the 3rd straight time Peyton has been on the wrong side...he’s evidently just thrown in with the Haslams. He can stfu and gtho.

Yep, looking like he is just a Haslam puppet!

Funny how Peyton has always said he would not take a head coach job UT because he didn't want the fan base to turn against him. Looks like he just might do it anyway!

well FU^% Peyton then.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/Safid_Deen/status/936034101404020737

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

nate fisher posted:

y'all done lost your minds.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

LeeMajors posted:

I'm not even joking, what the loving gently caress is happening in Knoxville. What a clown show.

:vince:

The Volshevik Revolution is happening comrade

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Oh Jesus Christ Peyton’s total involvement was probably all of a text saying

“Hey what do you think of this guy”
“Yeah sure”

People think that Peyton has this total control over the university or some sort of say in what they do and I seriously doubt that’s true. If they ask him anything it’s likely out of courtesy and not because he can actually sway any decisions.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

hahaha

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

NickRoweFillea posted:

The Volshevik Revolution is happening comrade

And it will be digitized

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The most Manning has done is initiated contact for the university.

Back to TBA

https://twitter.com/94_vols/status/936033712625635328

https://twitter.com/tfam_1/status/936038275545993218

https://twitter.com/wesrucker247/status/936035345241698312

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

THis is why you don't negotiate with terrorists.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
God drat this coaching carousel is like my heroin right now I need to shoot it in to my veins I can't get enough

I mean the Smokey the loving mascot was participating in the chants. Amazing.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Neil Armbong posted:

THis is why you don't negotiate with terrorists.

To be honest this is getting out of control. Part of me enjoys the chaos, but it’s time for it to end. You got cops throwing fans out now.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

Basically, they hosed up their initial hire attempt that the AD is now under serious fire and is unlikely to last long term. That means any coach he hires will probably be under a new AD very soon, and that guy will probably want his own guy. Plus they're a program with really high expectations that has compete against a bunch of other power house programs and it will take a long time to get back into a national contender.

EDIT: I wasn't even alive the last time Herm Edwards coached at the collegiate level

Also, it’s more and more looking like Currie (our AD) is Jimmy Haslem’s hand picked stooge. Haslem is the largest booster by far and also notably owns the Browns.

I still can’t loving explain what happened with Brohm though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

maxallen posted:

Also, it’s more and more looking like Currie (our AD) is Jimmy Haslem’s hand picked stooge. Haslem is the largest booster by far and also notably owns the Browns.

He also just got revealed on tape as knowing about the Flying J ripoff scheme he's maintained all along he had no idea about and if he weren't a billionaire would probably be facing prison time. Good week for Haslam.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

nate fisher posted:

This is crazy, I can’t even imagine what it would take for gator fans to turn on tebow.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I don't care who Tennessee hires, I just want a full blown campus wide riot to happen at some point. Also acceptable is the permanent shuttering of the football program because they can't get anyone to coach it.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

nachos posted:

This is crazy, I can’t even imagine what it would take for gator fans to turn on tebow.

TBF Tebow best all his rivals at least once and won a Natty

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Words can't express how hilarious ASU hiring Herm is.

They're gonna be so loving awful, I love it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I'd be nervous to hire a guy who has "Worst defense in FBS" on his resume as my defensive coordinator but to each their own.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
increasingly likely that the endgame here is the disbandment of the Tennessee football program, and I am here for it.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Herm Edwards is such a horrible fit for ASU's party culture. It's going to be amazing.

And I'll nth the :lol: Tennessee

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dango Bango posted:

Herm Edwards is such a horrible fit for ASU's party culture. It's going to be amazing.

And I'll nth the :lol: Tennessee

I did want Herm to go back to college to see how it would work because I do buy into the recruiting thing (again--assuming he cares about it), but I was definitely thinking about some G5 job.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Rick posted:

I'd be nervous to hire a guy who has "Worst defense in FBS" on his resume as my defensive coordinator but to each their own.

when did that happen

I went through his defenses and they were all mostly pretty positive results.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
We have officially went full circle

https://twitter.com/wesrucker247/status/936043772928053248

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
they fired the most successful coach they’ve had since I was in grade school to hire a 60 year old who hasn’t coached college since the 80s and has a NFL record that is like 20 games under .500. Jesus Christ.

The Oregon State hire is also disappointly boring though I don’t know enough about the dude to say that it’s bad.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
We're going to pay Kiffin $15 million a year to be our coach because our fans and administration are all idiots. And Kiffin will continue to troll Tennessee as he cashes the checks.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
If this was ten years ago and Herm was fresh out of the NFL I'd say it'd be a reasonable hire.

Now, though? In three years ASU's gonna be looking for a new AD/HC.

And Todd Graham's gonna slide right back into both :getin:

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I want a 30 for 30 on this coaching search

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
They do remember that Lane Kiffin was a lovely head coach right? They left him on the drat Tarmac!

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Sab0921 posted:

They do remember that Lane Kiffin was a lovely head coach right? They left him on the drat Tarmac!

That was USC.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Sab0921 posted:

He was okay at UT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Neil Armbong posted:

That was USC.

I know he was at USC, but he was an awful HC at USC - why would he be any better at Tennessee?

• Locked thread